IGNORED

Pro vs Audiophile Obssession

• 7 months later...

I have a friend who has run a number of small record labels, mostly classical. I went to a recording session in a cathedral in the UK, where a choir was being recorded by Abbey Road Remote for a new album. The friend and I have similar feelings about expensive cables, and before the recording, he pointed at the floor, and said, "See, miles of plain copper cables." 

Imagine if, at least outside the studio, producers bought expensive cables, or those thingies to keep the cables off the floor? In this case, there were dozens of mics set up - for stereo and surround sound - with cables overlapping, looped, etc; the resulting album sounded perfect.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Yes Brad, I am aware of that.  And I have also met Michael Bishop (Telarc) many years back at CES.  By no means am I suggesting that recording studios are building in wiring from audiophile suppliers!  All I am saying is that there are indeed, respected, recording engineers who do consider the quality and sonics of the wire which they specify, whether it is the first ten feet, or the wire built into the studio.  I think we actually agree here!

And the state of the music industry is sad.  My GF is a performing musician, who also records occasionally, she used to make a considerable portion of her income from CD sales, now those sales have mostly dried up, and this reduces her motivation to record (although she is, slowly, working on a new album anyway).

As to the emphasis that a recording engineer might put on cabling, well yes I understand that would be low down on the list of concerns (if at all).  To me this is analogous to an audio designer like Nelson Pass.  Nelson's primary focus is on choice of active devices, and circuit design, as that is what he does, and those things make the largest differences in  the performance of the products he develops.  For this reason, he does not concern himself much with the choices of passive parts used in his designs: he usually specifies good quality, reliable, industrial parts, and not things like highly specialized resistors or capacitors.  I would say it is similar for recording engineers, who would put much more emphasis on first order concerns like microphone placement, rather than more subtle things like cable choice.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Barrows

Very well said and a very accurate post!

Brad

Brad Lunde

www.LoneMountainAudio.com (High End Consumer Importer to the Trade) and www.TransAudioGroup.com (High End Pro Audio Importer to the Trade)

Brands we import to the US are ATC, Tube Tech, Drawmer, MUTEC, Bettermaker 

Brands from the US we distribute are A Designs, Auratone, Daking, LatchLake and Mojave