IGNORED

Chromecast Audio (Analog and Digital Outputs) $35

Requires both the latest app and firmware updates. I'm not aware of any way to sideload the firmware update.

I seem to have gotten the updates, woke up to see the option to create a group with multiple Chromecast devices.

Set up multiroom with 3 devices, everything was perfect and in sync. Wish transferring from one device to another was quicker, and sometimes it resets and goes back to the starting of the song when transferring playback to another device. Other than that, no issues, working perfectly.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a Chromecast Audio just for fun, and I've got it working with the Qobuz Android app which supports casting. I'm using the optical output of the Chromecast Audio into my Aeris DAC.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to use it with A+ since we now have Qobuz integration. I'm confused about how to make this work. Has anyone tried the soundcast/soundflower solution athttps://github.com/andresgottlieb/soundcast ? Would this actually work?

Maybe what I'm trying to do above is pointless. When the stream gets redirected to the Chromecast Audio, is a program on that device taking over as the music player app?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I just got a Chromecast Audio just for fun, and I've got it working with the Qobuz Android app which supports casting. I'm using the optical output of the Chromecast Audio into my Aeris DAC.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to use it with A+ since we now have Qobuz integration. I'm confused about how to make this work. Has anyone tried the soundcast/soundflower solution athttps://github.com/andresgottlieb/soundcast ? Would this actually work?

Maybe what I'm trying to do above is pointless. When the stream gets redirected to the Chromecast Audio, is a program on that device taking over as the music player app?

Qobuz just announced imminent availability of 24/96 streaming on Chromecast for Sublime subscribers in EU. E tu Tidal?

Qobuz just announced imminent availability of 24/96 streaming on Chromecast for Sublime subscribers in EU. E tu Tidal?

Hello,

It's already available (maybe only in France ?) and it works (I tested).

But you can only do that with the HiRes album you bought on Qobuz, not all the HiRes albums available: if you stream a HiRes album you don't own on Qobuz, the maximum available quality will be CD quality.

Regards,

Côme

Qobuz Sublime subscription & m4a files on Synology DS416play / Macbook Air 13" 2012 + El Capitan (Direct Mode) + Audirvana 3.x / DAC Arcam IrDAC / Ampli NAD C320 / Speaker Cabasse Sloop 500

You're comment "It's not high end by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not meant to be high end" raises for me the question of why not?? Absent any rigorous testing of jitter etc what other than the price and plastic disqualifies the device as a high end component?? Is it the fact that it's Toslink? Limited to 24/96? I'm thrilled to be streaming Tidal wirelessly via BubbleUPnP and it will only get better when Tidal updates for direct streaming.

I agree with Jeff.

......not high end enough Chris? - because it doesn't cost enough or what?

If it delivers the bits to an external Dac, why not high end?

You read like an audio elitist and sound like a snob.

Chris responded on the other thread that he'd be doing some testing of jitter, perhaps then we'll have a better idea of how it stacks up against its vastly more expensive competition.

Maybe it's written before, my intention is:

Synology Nas with lossless files, ChromeCast Audio connected to my Dac through toslink. And finally, controll and send the music with DS audio from Synology or Plex.

My Dac will receive the files in 24-96 as original ones?

Thank you

Plex works but Chromecast has problems with some FLACs. Expect that bugginess will be fixed in a firmware update.

It should work, but it has not been reliable at all for me. Never been able to cast anything in that way to my Chromecast Audio.

Merging NADAC / Theta Compli --> Spectral DMC-20 --> Spectral DMA-250 --> Avalon Ascendant (with tweeter upgrades)

For any Squeezebox fans ....... with the Castbridge plugin, my CCA is showing up as a Squeezebox player in one of my LMS setups. Other than no multiple player synchronizing, it seems to be working fine.

Thus far, I think this is a nifty product. Works great streaming Spotify.

CCA on LMS.jpg

A listening test comparing components is valid only when you are able to instantaneously switch between components which have been properly level matched and whose identities are unknown to you.

For any Squeezebox fans ....... with the Castbridge plugin, my CCA is showing up as a Squeezebox player in one of my LMS setups. Other than no multiple player synchronizing, it seems to be working fine.

Thanks Pneumonic that's great news. I guess that is another option for playback of local media and a handy one for those of us already running LMS.

Thanks Pneumonic that's great news. I guess that is another option for playback of local media and a handy one for those of us already running LMS.
The CastBridge/squeezetocast doesn't just give the CCA another option to playback local media files via Logitech Media Server, as you now potentially have access to any streaming service supplied by LMS. So would include internet streaming services such as Spotify, TIDAL, Qobuz, internet radio stations, etc.

Also, since the CastBridge runs as an application independent to LMS, it is conceivable that the Squeezebox emulator it provides for the CCA may even be accessable by Roon, given that Roon has recently been updated to support Squeezebox devices as endpoints, natively. So Roon with CCA endpoints may now be possible, via the CastBridge application!

Incidentally, the current version of CastBridge does actually support sync between multiple CCAs, including a master volume control:

Announce: CastBridge = integrate Chromecast players with LMS (squeeze2cast) - Page 28

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

So Roon with CCA endpoints may now be possible, via the CastBridge application!

Incidentally, the current version of CastBridge does actually support sync between multiple CCAs, including a master volume control:

Ah, great to know. Appreciate these 2 updates. I am quite intrigued with Roon but only have been casually following its foray into this space. I have a couple other CCA's and will give them a go to see how they synch up.

A listening test comparing components is valid only when you are able to instantaneously switch between components which have been properly level matched and whose identities are unknown to you.

Ah, great to know. Appreciate these 2 updates. I am quite intrigued with Roon but only have been casually following its foray into this space. I have a couple other CCA's and will give them a go to see how they synch up.

Have you tried the CCA into your LessLoss DAC Pneumonic? How does it compare to the Transporter as a transport?

Plex works but Chromecast has problems with some FLACs. Expect that bugginess will be fixed in a firmware update.

That was my takeaway from Chris's bit perfect testing; my FLACs may or may not work depending on how they were encoded. I'm not planning on re-encoding my whole library, so not a solution for me at this point.

Have you tried the CCA into your LessLoss DAC Pneumonic? How does it compare to the Transporter as a transport?

No, the LL only has coax input. I am running CCA -> DacMagic+ (as well as Transporter).

I was able to spend some time with the CCA last week. I am running CCA -> EA Synchro-mesh -> DAC-2 DSDse -> preamp. I also ran it direct to the W4S, I was able to stream both Redbook and hires 24/96 including some homemade hires that I've done off my analog setup. I thought the sound was very nice. going back and forth between some of my other sources, sonos, Kodi, I noticed little if any differences. I think for $35 it is great, pair it with a good DAC and it really sounds good. Queue management is terrible, but the product is still new and for what it does right now it is a still a better value than most commercial products that cost a ton more money. YMMV

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

For music MinimServer gets my vote, especially running off a Raspberry Pi. moOde Audio Player also comes highly recommended for the Pi.

I will be adding Daphile to the mix over the weekend, comes highly recommended from a couple of buddies.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I was able to spend some time with the CCA last week. I am running CCA -> EA Synchro-mesh -> DAC-2 DSDse -> preamp. I also ran it direct to the W4S, I was able to stream both Redbook and hires 24/96 including some homemade hires that I've done off my analog setup. I thought the sound was very nice. going back and forth between some of my other sources, sonos, Kodi, I noticed little if any differences. I think for $35 it is great, pair it with a good DAC and it really sounds good. Queue management is terrible, but the product is still new and for what it does right now it is a still a better value than most commercial products that cost a ton more money. YMMV

Did you connect it via toslink?