IGNORED

Chromecast Audio (Analog and Digital Outputs) $35

Hi,

I've only one CCA, thus impossible to go back to previous firmware, without bitperfect.

Am I under placebo effect or not ?

I got this morning the update to new firmware. No resampling to 48kHz to my digital amplifiers but native bit rate, and today it seems to sound more relax & easy listening (and very very nice of course).

I was complaining last days/weeks about slight harshness, very slight but there... not anymore.

Thanks for your "help".

if someone still have 2 CCA with previous & new firmware to compare, itcould be good to know.

Thanks

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

Multi-room is enabled in the Chromecast app update.

Is that an update to the Chromecast Audio devices? Or an update to the Chromecast app?

I don't have the update it seems, I don't see any option to enable multiroom or even create a group to club together multiple Chromecast devices.

I will check online and see if there is an updated firmware for the devices, and if so hopefully I'll get it soon.

Google is very vague, says depending on the location it can be up to a week for the updates to arrive.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Is that an update to the Chromecast Audio devices? Or an update to the Chromecast app?

I don't have the update it seems, I don't see any option to enable multiroom or even create a group to club together multiple Chromecast devices.

I will check online and see if there is an updated firmware for the devices, and if so hopefully I'll get it soon.

Google is very vague, says depending on the location it can be up to a week for the updates to arrive.

Requires both the latest app and firmware updates. I'm not aware of any way to sideload the firmware update.

Requires both the latest app and firmware updates. I'm not aware of any way to sideload the firmware update.

Thanks! Hard to wait, but its the only thing to do. I have 3 of them... hopefully they are updated the same time.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Hi Guys - It's great to see the resampling issue corrected with the new firmware.

Question: What is your preferred way to send lossless audio to the Chromecast Audio device?

P.S. When streaming Tidal from a tab in the Chrome browser to the Chromecast Audio, the Chromecast Audio sees all the audio at 48 kHz. I'm guessing the Chrome browser or the extension is resampling everything because the Chromecast Audio itself is no longer resampling.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Guys - It's great to see the resampling issue corrected with the new firmware.

Question: What is your preferred way to send lossless audio to the Chromecast Audio device?

P.S. When streaming Tidal from a tab in the Chrome browser to the Chromecast Audio, the Chromecast Audio sees all the audio at 48 kHz. I'm guessing the Chrome browser or the extension is resampling everything because the Chromecast Audio itself is no longer resampling.

Right now am streaming Tidal from Android smartphone via BubbleUPnP to my Audio-Gd Reference 5 DAC. I can't verify what's being received at the DAC but it sounds good enough and is so convenient that I'm rarely using Roon on the USB interface.

Ok, now I'm getting somewhere. The Chromecast Audio is the most picky device I've ever used. Some WAV files play in their native rate but aren't bit perfect, some play natively and are bit perfect, some FLACs play, some FLACs don't play, etc...

More to come.

Some finicky behavior on my Oneplus also. While 16/44 streams perfectly, most 24/96 FLAC won't stream via Chromecast at all. But some will. Go figure. I will note that people using other devices report no problems streaming 24/96.

Right now am streaming Tidal from Android smartphone via BubbleUPnP to my Audio-Gd Reference 5 DAC. I can't verify what's being received at the DAC but it sounds good enough and is so convenient that I'm rarely using Roon on the USB interface.

CAn't you just 'Cast' Tidal through the Tidal app to the Chromecast Audio? Why BubbleUPNP?

For what it's worth, I've been comparing the Chromecast using Plex to cast with a USB wireless DAC, the Audioengine D2, for the last couple of weeks. I was hoping to keep the Chromecast and send back the D2 because I'm cheap and spending 10x for roughly the same capability seems wasteful. I have no way to check sample rates, but my impression is the D2 does sound noticeably better. Not sure exactly why...I am using the Chromecast's phone connector and therefore it's native DAC which probably isn't as good. Or maybe it has to do with the Plex program. I'm sure someone here could enlighten me.

Still on the fence as to whether it's really worth 10x the price...

For what it's worth, I've been comparing the Chromecast using Plex to cast with a USB wireless DAC, the Audioengine D2, for the last couple of weeks. I was hoping to keep the Chromecast and send back the D2 because I'm cheap and spending 10x for roughly the same capability seems wasteful. I have no way to check sample rates, but my impression is the D2 does sound noticeably better. Not sure exactly why...I am using the Chromecast's phone connector and therefore it's native DAC which probably isn't as good. Or maybe it has to do with the Plex program. I'm sure someone here could enlighten me.

Still on the fence as to whether it's really worth 10x the price...

You should be comparing the sound of the D2 to the sound of the Chromecast connected to a good external DAC, not the $5 DAC in the Chromecast itself.

You should be comparing the sound of the D2 to the sound of the Chromecast connected to a good external DAC, not the $5 DAC in the Chromecast itself.

Actually the AKM4430 chip itself costs a $1, far less in quantity of course. Anyway it sounds fine but connect it to something like the new AQ Beetle or better and then it becomes a better comparison.

Actually the AKM4430 chip itself costs a $1, far less in quantity of course. Anyway it sounds fine but connect it to something like the new AQ Beetle or better and then it becomes a better comparison.

Yeah, I wanted to but don't own an external DAC other than the D2. Would love to hear if anyone else has done this comparison.

Yeah, I wanted to but don't own an external DAC other than the D2. Would love to hear if anyone else has done this comparison.

Well the D2 is four year old design with five year old lower midrange DAC chip. The Chromecast is essentially free. I would expect most any current well reviewed <$500 DAC + CCA would best the D2. But speculating here.

Chromecast Audio does no bitrate conversion anymore. What about Chromecast and Chromecast 2?

I have both so did some testing.

Chromecast

Plays nicely at 44.1khz (tested with Deezer, Google Music and Plex (ALAC files)

Plays everything above 48khz at 48khz (tested with Plex only) This might also be the limitation of the IOS devices I use to control Plex.

Chromecast 2

Just converts everything to 48khz

Both devices run latest firmware.

Despite that fact that Chromecast 2 converts even 44.1khz material to 48khz, there is not an immediately noticeable difference in sound quality between the two.

To me using Chromecast for playing local music and is a dreadful experience. The usability with Plex is buggy and just not acceptable.

It's fantastic for getting Netflix content or the likes of Deezer and Spotify to your TV and/or audio set. That said, Qobuz and Chromecast is horrible.

Bottom line. I wouldn't recommend Chromecast for 'audiophile' purposes.

How does the sound differ going direct to your DAC versus via the Chromecast? Cheers

I am not using the internal DAC of Chromecast Audio, purely using it as a transport/wireless streamer.

I am using a Schiit DAC and have compared USB, coaxial, and Toslink inputs (with and without Chromecast Audio). For the money, Toslink input is my preferred choice, but it sounds a little bit thinner than USB input, however it has a little bit more detail than USB. Chalk it up to personal preference, I prefer the portability of Chromecast Audio plus Raspberry Pi though the combo is not entirely without issues.

PS: The Chromecast Audio DAC is not without merits, just not high end. It outperforms all of my Bluetooth speakers, and the ability to stream FLAC over the wireless network is definitely a huge plus compared to the likes of Spotify streaming via Bluetooth speakers.

DLNA/UPnP server for local content on NAS… Is there any other way?

Some Spotify and AT40 streaming once in a while just to dip my toes into what's the latest and on the charts.

Some finicky behavior on my Oneplus also. While 16/44 streams perfectly, most 24/96 FLAC won't stream via Chromecast at all. But some will. Go figure. I will note that people using other devices report no problems streaming 24/96.

See this issue about not all FLAC playing. Looks like the CCA has a problem with highres FLAC not encoded with --fast:

https://code.google.com/p/google-cast-sdk/issues/detail?id=708