IGNORED

ECdesigns

8 hours ago, hopkins said:

This is definitely a "DIY" solution as the PS needs to be inserted in a proper case.

!! Yikes - only for the experienced!  :)

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Thanks @hopkins, good to know. I expected so much but somehow remember that @tapatrick had a good experience with alternative powering of the DAC?

I will only upgrade power for the U192 for now...

Yes my PH SR4 does sound slightly better powering the DAC (as well as another one on the U192) but unless you have good spare supply I wouldn't bother as the supplied PSU is very good and the difference is subtle.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

5 hours ago, hopkins said:

That guy (Rob) is well known, and to put it bluntly, IMO he's a complete lunatic, but thanks for sharing. 

Sadly Rob passed away in April 2019. I did follow the developments of his DC cable experiments for some time back then and now all my DC cables are done this way - (ie  splitting the +/- into 2 ethernet cables with POE connectors). Well worth the experiment but not sure how relevant this now is with the EC combo. I should take them out and see.

58 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

wow, I thought ECdesigns helped us to minimize tweaking... but where there is a will, there is a way...

😂 That will be the day..

On 8/23/2020 at 2:25 AM, tims said:

To anyone with the DA96 DAC, has anyone tried the EC range of RCA cables (the Audio Interlink - AI range) to a pre-amp or other device?

If your'e using your own RCA cables, I'd be interested to read if anyone has done some cable swapping to see if this makes a significant different SQ wise  (but would be happy to read that it doesn't - theres some mighty expensive RCA cables out there :D).

The EC RCA cables are very good and I havn't felt any compulsion to try any others.

5 hours ago, FIndingit said:

So U192 and Fractal dac sound terrible now? Ok. 

no

7 hours ago, tims said:

Thanks for the review.  What cable are you using for the clean 5v injection - is it a Ghent cable or diy?

Also, have you tried powering the Pi 2 and the U192 from the same SR4.  I wonder if the isolation by using two SR4's is a significant factor as well?

Yes I use a Ghent cable - see previous posts. I did also use a DIY version and was the same SQ, just not as tidy.

I havn't tried using the SR4s to power more that one device as in the past I've not found this beneficial due to grounding issues.

4 hours ago, Huubster said:

Very interesesting tapatrick, thanks. I assume you use a 'dual-headed' USB cable to do so? Signal coming from RPi and 5v from another source? 

It's a USB cable with a connector at the end for the 5V input. To put this in context the EC combo always sounds good and apart from relative differences I have detected and posted about I consider this one of the most significant improvements.

1 hour ago, matthias said:

While Uptone Audio claims that connecting the downstream gear to the B-side sounds best

Yes but the change is not as much as isolating the USB 5V from the Pi.

16 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Not sure, but does this look similar to U192ETL+TosLink?

https://www.msbtechnology.com/accessories/prousb/ 

That looks like a variation on USB/fibre extenders of which there are many examples and price levels. They pop up occasionally as a solution for USB isolation. EC seem to have taken this much further.  

57 minutes ago, matthias said:

To sum up the listening tests of @tapatrick I would say the U192 needs a proper power supply to be independent from USB Vbus power.

IMO, if source independency is the aim of ECD they should develop their own power supply for the U192.

Matt

Possibly, let’s see how this unfolds. I would first prefer to see multiple reports of listening tests that have come to the same conclusion that I have. It’s a helpful way to get round the problems of reading online claims. - even my own. So far we have 1 or 2 which is not enough to come to a definitive conclusion.

The EC combo is remarkable and I hope that this is kept in mind.  

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

How do folks in the USA purchase EC Designs components?  Their web shop does not offer selection of shipping to here in the states.  Also, what is the lead time presently? It is not clear to me.

Thanks,

—Alex C.

Hi Alex, Yes best to check with John Brown I’m sure they would accommodate you. 

If not maybe a contact in Europe could purchase for you. I received my U192 and Fractal DAC in a week or so. Regarding US Power supplies you would only need to supply 5V 1a to the DAC through a USB B connector and similarly the U192 takes 5V from the USB source Cable.  Not sure how the USB transport is powered if you wanted that too.  

44 minutes ago, matthias said:

Am I right that these listening notes are from your configuration D set-up in your post #938?

Yes

44 minutes ago, matthias said:

Did you try (in configuration D) to power the Fractal DAC with one of your PH PS?

That is how I run the DAC as I have a couple of PH SR4s and they are excellent PSUs. I posted about this earlier in the thread - the supplied EC PSU is very good and I couldn't say if there was much difference between it and the SR4.

53 minutes ago, hopkins said:

@tapatrick  There is definitely a warm-up time needed, probably more for the DAC than either the U192 or UPL. Otherwise your impressions are similar to mine.

I have also noticed a significant improvement when properly powering the U192. I had previously tested various power supplies, and 5v battery packs. I recently thought of powering it with the batteries from the previous UPL - and bingo ! Those batteries are lithium 3.7v, and the U192 runs fine on them (5v is not needed). I ordered another battery with double the capacity: https://www.tme.eu/fr/details/accu-lp805080_cl/accumulateurs/cellevia-batteries/lp805080/ 

5v battery packs typically used to charge phones have zero benefit. They include some regulators which probably generate noise, and the batteries may be of lower quality.

I am going to use the case and circuit of the previous UPL to power the U192, and have ordred  a Ghent Audio Y cable: https://www.ghentaudio.com/usb/u21.html. So it should be a fairly "clean" setup.

In terms of source, I have found that the lower the power the better. The Pi 4 runs fine, but the Pi 3 A+ is even better, if all you are doing is streaming (either from services or from your home server): https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-a-plus/ The Pi Zero W has the lowest power consumption and processor, and can run on 3.7v batteries (connected to the 5v supply), but unfortunately WiFi is problematic with high resolution files (16/44 is ok in my house, but 24/96 a disaster). The Pi 3 A+ runs extremely well, and at much lower temperatures (35C) than the Pi 4. I am still using piCorePlayer, and it runs fine. There are many distributions out there that are probably just as good.

Once you power the U192 seperately from the source, I believe the power supply of the source is not as critical (but better play it safe).

I believe the UPL could benefit also from a clean power source. On Friday, I tested the UPL at a friend's, connected to a noisy laptop, and used one of those 5v battery rechargers to supply power to the UPL seperately - it was a mistake. 

I now wish they had kept the same battery supply mechanism than they had in the previous models. There are problems shipping units with batteries, and that may be one reason why they changed ?

Thanks for sharing. I spent a couple of years playing around with various batteries and I found the same that mixing regulators and batteries is not advised. The best battery source I found is Ian Canadas LifePo4 / Ultracaps power supplies and he has taken this to a high level of development. (Reminds me I should try one on the U192 5VUSB input)

Talking of regulating PSUs then the Ultra low noise LT3045v modules from Alexey https://www.ldovr.com/default.asp or LT3045 based PSUs from https://www.mpaudio.net/product-category should be considered. I have experimented with them for long time and these have been covered in multiple threads so I won't go into it here. In the end I found a PSU of good quality such as the SR4 does not need any extra regulation but other DIY power supplies are great enhanced by them.

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

Those batteries are lithium 3.7v, and the U192 runs fine on them (5v is not needed).

interesting find... that means the 5V input is regulated down.

3 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Yes, exactly. But do it at your own risk :) 

Power consumption of the U192 is very low - forgot what John stated, but it is less than 100mA.

yes and I'm curious how low the voltage can go too? Maybe I will have a look... 

5 minutes ago, Tzougie said:

You shouldn't run the U192ETL at a lower voltage then 5V, it has it's own discrete stabilizing circuit on board which will  work not well when you lower the voltage.

Yes the 5v is needed for a reason...

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

One question I have is what happens when you feed the U192 24/192 PCM--since the DAC itself only goes to 24/96.  I know that at lower rates it is all NOS, but is there some processing that downsamples when higher than 24/96 is fed?

I believe higher than 24/192 will not play but not sure as I only play redbook which I find very satisfying.

5 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Could there be any benefit in using a VAC => VDC regulator like the TL PS rather than what I am planning? And as I understand that would be more of a DIY project that requires (a) toroid(s), a case, etc.?

Personally as much as I like to play around with  these things there is a lot that goes into a good PSU so I leave it to the experts. The PHynes are excellent.

2 hours ago, Ben75 said:

.. perhaps at Roberto flat to challenge its Terminator + SOtM SMS 200 Ultra streamer? 

🤔 looking forward to hearing about that.  

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

So then what is the point of the making it the U192–if the DAC it is designed to feed only accepts rates to 96KHz? O.o

(And I hope nobody suggests it is so that the U192 can be used as a USB>TOSlink converted with other DACs at 192KHz. 9_9)

One for John Brown :)

The XMOS module in the U192 probably handles up to 192KHz by default. Honestly this hasn't bothered me as the SQ is so satisfying but if you have a library of higher res music then that would be a party stopper.

PS the U192 using toslink into my PS Audio DAC sounds superb... :) 

2 hours ago, matthias said:

I have got the impression from the recent posts that the PSs of ECD devices might be their weakest point.

It's semantics but I think that is an overstatement :) because the supplied PSU for the DAC I have found to be very good and the USB 5V is dependent on the source.