IGNORED

Contemporary Piano Music

Starting a thread to gather information on a genre I really enjoy.

I enjoy listening to contemporary piano music and would like to explore this genre more. Examples of music I like very much and listen to are Ola Gjielo's "Piano Improvisations" and "Stone Rose". Both are just fantastic albums which I found while browsing for music on the Album of the Evening thread. Recently I came across another album I like very much - Fiona Joy's "Signature Solo".

I would like to distinguish this from piano jazz and classical music as these are not really from that genre although the artists tend to have a background in classical music. For some reason this music has been hard to find and I would be very happy if I can find a few more gems from among the CA community.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Thanks One and a half!

I have the Marialy Pacheco but Pascal Mailloux is a new discovery!

This is looking very promising.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Starting a thread to gather information on a genre I really enjoy.

I enjoy listening to contemporary piano music and would like to explore this genre more. Examples of music I like very much and listen to are Ola Gjielo's "Piano Improvisations" and "Stone Rose". Both are just fantastic albums which I found while browsing for music on the Album of the Evening thread. Recently I came across another album I like very much - Fiona Joy's "Signature Solo".

I would like to distinguish this from piano jazz and classical music as these are not really from that genre although the artists tend to have a background in classical music. For some reason this music has been hard to find and I would be very happy if I can find a few more gems from among the CA community.

Being a fan of Blue Coast Records that's where I came across Fiona Joy. I have her "600 Years in a Moment" and really enjoy the atmosphere of relaxation and contemplation that it stimulates. Another nice piano album which can be found at Blue Coast Records is Paul de Benedictis "The Power of One." I don't really know what the right way is to classify albums like these in terms of genre, but I tend to think of them as 'new age piano' or 'atmospheric piano.'

The brand new Martin Tingvall (of the Tingvall trio) solo album Distance is falling into this category I'd say:

Distance | Martin Tingvall*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

Big fan of Tingvall thanks to your Piano Trios thread.

If the style is anything like his trio work then I'm going to like this a lot.

Being a fan of Blue Coast Records that's where I came across Fiona Joy. I have her "600 Years in a Moment" and really enjoy the atmosphere of relaxation and contemplation that it stimulates. Another nice piano album which can be found at Blue Coast Records is Paul de Benedictis "The Power of One." I don't really know what the right way is to classify albums like these in terms of genre, but I tend to think of them as 'new age piano' or 'atmospheric piano.'

Thanks wayneoh. Blue Coast Records has some great music from lesser known musicians.

Plus the recordings are top notch.

I don't really know what the right way is to classify albums like these in terms of genre, but I tend to think of them as 'new age piano' or 'atmospheric piano.'

Definitely "New Age" - which I am not really a big fan of.

Fiona Joy's music is just fantastic when she stays away from the new age "stuff".

The brand new Martin Tingvall (of the Tingvall trio) solo album Distance is falling into this category I'd say:

Distance | Martin Tingvall*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20144[/ATTACH]

Do you like it, how's the sound quality - legit high resolution?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Of course "Contemporary Piano" should have been included in my list .. sorry Nik.

Melvin, the New Age stuff always crops up when I look for this genre of music. Not sure why but somehow somewhere the sitars, vocals, didgeridoos, crystals, etc show up. I guess it works for some but it's not what I'm looking for. Some of Fiona Joy's music has this thing going on. I have to thank Cookie Marenco for "saving" her in the Signature Solo album.

What a great idea for a thread.

Does this qualify?

Qobuz Player - High Fidelity music in streaming

Great to have you on here Geoffrey. Of course it does.

I guess some would call it Contemporary Classical. Great stuff!

Melvin, the New Age stuff always crops up when I look for this genre of music. Not sure why but somehow somewhere the sitars, vocals, didgeridoos, crystals, etc show up. I guess it works for some but it's not what I'm looking for. Some of Fiona Joy's music has this thing going on. I have to thank Cookie Marenco for "saving" her in the Signature Solo album.

Yeah, I don't think anyone really knows what genre to call this type of music really. I normally put it all under "Jazz". I have some Ola and Fiona as well .. Jan Gunner Hoff too.

Great to have you on here Geoffrey. Of course it does.

I guess some would call it Contemporary Classical. Great stuff!

Contemporary Classical is a possibility. Maybe "Crystal Piano" .. LOLOL.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to thank Cookie Marenco for "saving" her in the Signature Solo album.

What a wonderful thread! Thank you for starting it.

I can't say I "saved" Fiona Joy in the Signature-Solo piano album. She did it all herself... and it was her idea. I was in favor of a solo piano album because I felt her other albums hid her wonderful abilities on the piano.

As far as what to call it, we had the same issues.

We've settled on "Contemporary Piano" or "Contemporary Acoustic" but rarely is that category available when placing an album online. Sadly, the closest is "new age". I don't think anyone likes "new age". At Windham Hill (back in the 80's) we weren't allowed to utter the words "new age". It was a dirty word. :)

Most of the pieces Fiona performed were done in one or two complete takes. She's a master musician and wonderful person to work with. You can have a listen here.

Fiona Joy - Signature-Solo | Blue Coast Records

We almost always have a special going on in our weekly newsletter. Write to us directly if you want to know what rebate or offer is currently going on. [email protected]

Thanks again for the kind words!

Cookie Marenco

Blue Coast Recors

Cookie Marenco[br]founder and producer[br]Blue Coast Records[br]http://www.bluecoastrecords.com/

Ola Gjielo's "Piano Improvisations" and "Stone Rose"

That would be Ola Gjeilo.

I think I may have a few good references of that genre, but by that I really mean two (or perhaps three).

Will post them tomorrow if I can.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

What a wonderful thread! Thank you for starting it.

I can't say I "saved" Fiona Joy in the Signature-Solo piano album. She did it all herself... and it was her idea. I was in favor of a solo piano album because I felt her other albums hid her wonderful abilities on the piano.

Thanks Cookie! It's great to have your comments on here.

Fiona's work is incredible when she stays on course. When the chanting and exotic sounds start I switch off. That's really the problem with this New Age music - it's fake. At least in my opinion. Before you know it you find the music sprinkled with a little too much "audiophile dust".

Here are a few of my favourites, they are Masters:

1. Craig Armstrong

2. Mike Garson

He sent me a good appreciation of one of my songs once, and I nearly had him to play on it. Maybe one day.

3. Jordan Rudess

Also check out:

4. Ryuichi Sakamoto

[video=youtube;Y4tLtg-DMb8]

Enjoy.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Here are a few of my favourites, they are Masters:

1. Craig Armstrong

2. Mike Garson

3. Jordan Rudess

4. Ryuichi Sakamoto

Excellent references! All new names for me - look forward to exploring their work.