IGNORED

Contemporary Piano Music

Excellent references! All new names for me - look forward to exploring their work.

Armstrong has a double training: classical and electronic, he has made a lot of movie soundtracks but the one you have to look for based on the subject of this thread is 'Piano Works'.

Rudess comes from Juilliard where he learned classical and piano, but went on to play keyboards in Dream Theater, a prog rock group, so try to get his piano album(s).

Mike Garson has been David Bowie's pianist since the early 70s. :)

Sakamoto was in the Japanese electronic band Yellow Magic Orchestra (YMO), and the piece he plays above is the live piano version from his soundtrack to Furyo, starring himself and David Bowie.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Hello Nikhil!

I'm tickled to see your choices, as I have the pleasure of knowing both Fiona Joy and Ola Gjielo, and these are two of my favorite albums, too. I thought you might like to see Fiona's playing...she actually didn't know she was being recorded here, she was just working on a piece...enjoy!

Thank you Bethbetty. Lovely music on that video. I recognize some of the pieces now from her Signature Solo album which is incredible. Amazing that you know both Fiona and Ola. Are you a musician yourself?

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Armstrong has a double training: classical and electronic, he has made a lot of movie soundtracks but the one you have to look for based on the subject of this thread is 'Piano Works'.

Rudess comes from Juilliard where he learned classical and piano, but went on to play keyboards in Dream Theater, a prog rock group, so try to get his piano album(s).

Mike Garson has been David Bowie's pianist since the early 70s. :)

Sakamoto was in the Japanese electronic band Yellow Magic Orchestra (YMO), and the piece he plays above is the live piano version from his soundtrack to Furyo, starring himself and David Bowie.

Sakamoto's music stood out for me on first listening. His style is perhaps more to my taste maybe but the others are stellar in their own right. Great to know about the connection with Garson and Bowie. I wondered about that and just assumed he was doing some covers of Bowie's music.

I like the musicians of this genre who have a classical background generally. The music has much more solidity to it.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I like the musicians of this genre who have a classical background generally. The music has much more solidity to it.

Just in case you want to check out more of Armstrong, he also has wonderful albums where the mix between classical and electronic is apparent, like 'The Space Between Us' and 'As If To Nothing', some songs in there as well.

He has been involved in many soundtracks, 'Ray', 'Moulin Rouge', 'Kiss of The Dragon', and many more.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

• 2 months later...
Interesting. Just when I don't want to like it (too repetitive, simple, etc.) it does something interesting - and sounds good doing it.

My Tidal favorites is getting unmanageable because of threads like this...

Yes. This album is a gem - deceptively good. Melancholic.

Reminds of the music in movies like "Inception" or "Interstellar".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If you like piano played a little harder, and the best drumming in jazz (or rock for that matter), look no further than Hiromi. All are VERY good Telarc recordings, with an excellent description of the recording methods used, a true provenance statement.

Recommend:

Alive

Folder.jpg

Spark

Folder.jpg

Brain (particularly Green Tea Farm)

Folder.jpg

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I like the Fiona Joy's albums, was lucky to see her in a small club about 6 months ago, with a couple of tracks from In the mist as advance, and they were great.

While I do like Signature and the new album, my favourite or go to though is Blue Dream, available as an SACD. Bob Ludwig did a great job on that one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24806[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the reference. Must look this one up!

If you like piano played a little harder, and the best drumming in jazz (or rock for that matter), look no further than Hiromi. All are VERY good Telarc recordings, with an excellent description of the recording methods used, a true provenance statement.

Not quite my style or rather what I am looking for.

Looking more for an easy not jazz listening style on this thread.

Thanks for the reference. Must look this one up!

Not quite my style or rather what I am looking for.

Looking more for an easy not jazz listening style on this thread.

Ahh. OK.

Marian McPartland, Silent Pool. Piano with orchestration. This music can very gently de-stress, so I tend to play it often. Available from HDtracks as an 88/24.

HD00013431474524_185.jpg

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 weeks later...
Philip Glass - Solo Piano (1989)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25090[/ATTACH]

Wow! Philip Glass just nails this genre ... superb music.

Going to be busy digging all weekend for his music.

I am not sure he exactly fits your bill, but you could try Francesco Tristano Schlimé, especially Idiosynkrasia or BachCage

Francesco Tristano Schlimé - Télécharger et écouter les albums.

Thanks Boris! Great share ... from the few Youtubes I've looked at he's a little "experimental" but doesn't fall off the edge in that sense. Takes it to the brink but then brings it back.

Very interesting artist. Definitely worth exploring!

Maybe way too common, but I'm surprised George Winston hasn't been mentioned. I had the opportunity to be mesmerized by Mr. Winston playing in a small chapel in Sedona AZ. a few years back, watching his hands from two pews away. I have six of his albums, my first being December.

iMac > NAD C388 Integrated with BluOS module > Linn Keilidh

Maybe way too common, but I'm surprised George Winston hasn't been mentioned. I had the opportunity to be mesmerized by Mr. Winston playing in a small chapel in Sedona AZ. a few years back, watching his hands from two pews away. I have six of his albums, my first being December.

Absolutely not. Thanks for sharing.

Listening to "December" on youtube right now - very nice!

• 5 weeks later...