IGNORED

Contemporary Piano Music

On 11/22/2017 at 4:24 AM, Nikhil said:

Vocals Piano Strings - Ola Gjeilo

28947886914.jpg?1464795463

It's been a while since I last posted but this one is a beauty.  For fans of religious music or choral music this is an album that will definitely satisfy.  Ola Gjeilo's piano work is amazing as usual but there are parts of this album where the music is just transports you.  To my ears, religious music like this is the authentic match for achieving an atmospheric experience.   But I will defer to more knowledgeable ears than mine on this. 

To me this is just a beautiful album - highly recommended.

I must admit I'm a bit torn on this album. Gjeilo always had a certain tendency to "kitsch", but usually kept the balance on the right side.

This one tips a bit too much towards the "kitschy" side for me. But then again, it´s a seasonal album, and certainly doesn't even get close to other "jingle bells" rubbish of even respected Jazz musicians. 

Don't get me wrong, it´s kind of beautiful, but somehow I feel it could use some more substance.

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

This one tips a bit too much towards the "kitschy" side for me. But then again, it´s a seasonal album, and certainly doesn't even get close to other "jingle bells" rubbish of even respected Jazz musicians.

I didn't think of this album as a seasonal album - it was released in April 2016.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Cool!  That's a new album which I had no idea of.

But ... which album do your impressions refer to? 

The "Winter" album or "Vocals Piano Strings"?

Regards

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

6 hours ago, Nikhil said:

Cool!  That's a new album which I had no idea of.

But ... which album do your impressions refer to? 

The "Winter" album or "Vocals Piano Strings"?

Regards

The Winter/Seasonal one. I have yet to check out the Vocals album (similar setup in both albums by the way, and both on Decca)

5 hours ago, rando said:

I erased a good half dozen zingers to lead into this picture.  Truth is she is insulting her audiences more than they have any interest to insult her.  Thus they all would have lost the importance of noting that to infuse humor.

nso3.jpg?uuid=ztnsHNZSEeephtCpdw2aPg

About 2 years ago I saw an interview featured on the German Digital Concert Hall (Berlin Philharmonic) in which Yuja Wang said something like, "are you going to ask me about my clothes". She was being interviewed by a male member of the Berlin Philharmonic and she had just received the initial wave of commentary regarding her performance attire. The interviewer said, "No,...I don't know,... do you want me to". He was obviously surprised that she had brought it up. They both let it go at that.

She seems obsessed with making a statement with her clothing, even when no one cares. She cannot let it go. Yuja Wang is talented enough that she will never be accused of doing it for publicity's sake.

I think she has some deep seated psychological issues. 

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Here is a sample from the Voices Piano Strings album

However the stunner in the album for me is "Serenity" which has no piano at all but just had me frozen on first listen.

This is in fact a Christmas piece (O Magnum Mysterium) but not anything like in the Winter album.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:54 PM, Musicophile said:

I must admit I'm a bit torn on this album. Gjeilo always had a certain tendency to "kitsch", but usually kept the balance on the right side.

Don't get me wrong, it´s kind of beautiful, but somehow I feel it could use some more substance.

After reading your comments on this album I gave it a listen over the weekend.   I agree that it did not make an impression at first listen.  However after spending a little more time, it has started to grow on me.   My impression after repeated listening is that the album is authentic to Gjeillo's vocal choir style with a few pieces standing out.  I see a few of these being performed by several amateur choir ensembles like a few of his other pieces. 

If anything I think Gjeilo makes choral music approachable to me and perhaps to others as well.

11 hours ago, WAM said:

I came across this album:

brewster.thumb.jpg.140b0931e33d22214a728763aa9e9194.jpg

One of my other favourites:

lutoslawki.thumb.jpg.b0340c34c69a02d987f435f2c48fa042.jpg

That Piazolla album looks interesting from clips I could preview from Youtube,

I could not get much info on the Ewa Kopiec / Witold Lutoslawski album.

Are they available on Tidal by any chance?  Will look for them either way.

Regards

10 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Thanks for sharing!  I have earmarked the artist. (A Cerulian State)

This music is categorized as "ambient" but to me this is pure contemporary piano.

I wish more music labels would get this music out of those categories and help more like me find this music.

15 hours ago, Nikhil said:

This music is categorized as "ambient" but to me this is pure contemporary piano.

I wouldn't categorize it as 'ambient' either. I prefer the description from the musician himself:

' Lazy Swedish guy making music for imaginary movies."

BTW ACS discography is available now as digital download for '$10.50 USD or more' which seems a very fair price (24 bit available too):

https://aceruleanstate.bandcamp.com/

7 hours ago, WAM said:

Hello Nikhil,

I do not know or the Lutoslawski-album is available on Tidal (I do not use a streaming service, I like those old-fashioned silver discs too much ^_^).

Kind Regards, WAM

Thanks WAM!  I am a recent subscriber to Tidal.

However it is pretty amazing to be able to listen to music at short notice.

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I wouldn't categorize it as 'ambient' either. I prefer the description from the musician himself:

' Lazy Swedish guy making music for imaginary movies."

Ha ha ha ... that is funny!  

I do agree with others on his Youtube channel that he deserves more recognition.

On 12/11/2017 at 5:21 PM, sphinxsix said:

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, this particular album isn't available on Tidal, but a couple other ones by A Cerulean State, are, and I just listened to one. Very enjoyable. However, the one I listened to had some recording issues that were a bit irritating. 

I'll have to listen to the rest of what Tidal has available.

JC

9 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, this particular album isn't available on Tidal, but a couple other ones by A Cerulean State, are, and I just listened to one. Very enjoyable.

JC, I have not been able to find "A Cerulian State" on Tidal.

Can you share an album name perhaps that I could use?

Regards

Hello Nikhil,

I just searched under artists and entered "A Cerulean State" and Tidal came up with two or three albums. Check that you have the spelling correct. I'm just going to be as it's almost 2:30am here. But I will certainly be happy to get you individual album names tomorrow if still needed.

JC

On 16.12.2017 at 8:00 AM, TubeLover said:

However, the one I listened to had some recording issues that were a bit irritating

Haven't got the hard drive with ACS recordings at hand but as far as I remember you can hear something that seems to be the sound of a fireplace on some recordings. I bet the guy consciously did some recordings by a fireplace cause he came to the conclusion that this can add some extra mood to his music. I was bothered by these sounds first, now I don't mind. Especially in winter :)

• 2 months later...