IGNORED

Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman

I'm trying to understand exactly how it works from this video:

I've seen the video, and nowhere in it, Bruno is talking about native DSD 512 support. Yes, he could add an 8x DSD input to the DAC, but it would get downsampled and decimated like its current DSD 256 input currently is.

I've seen the video, and nowhere in it, Bruno is talking about native DSD 512 support. Yes, he could add an 8x DSD input to the DAC, but it would get downsampled and decimated like its current DSD 256 input currently is.

I bet it would still sound pretty good either way :)

That is 32 bit 3.1Mhz, which is converted to 1 bit at 100Mhz

I bet it would still sound pretty good either way :)

That is 32 bit 3.1Mhz, which is converted to 1 bit at 100Mhz

There are many formats that sound pretty good, but we are talking here specifically about Native DSD, i.e. SDM direct (no decimation, no SRC, no downsampling, no upsampling).

There are many formats that sound pretty good, but we are talking here specifically about Native DSD, i.e. SDM direct (no decimation, no SRC, no downsampling, no upsampling).

Do you know of any double or quad native DSD DAC's? Seems like they all do some sort of resampling.

Actually I think the AKM 4495 has a SDM direct mode.

Do you know of any double or quad native DSD DAC's? Seems like they all do some sort of resampling.

There are many double and quad DSD DACs that don't do any resampling, see Burr Brown DACs, AKM DACs, Cirrus Logic DACs... not to mention custom designs like Playback Designs's or Lampizator.

There are many double and quad DSD DACs that don't do any resampling, see Burr Brown DACs, AKM DACs, Cirrus Logic DACs... not to mention custom designs like Playback Designs's or Lampizator.

Yeah many ways to do things. But I guess at the end of the day it's the complete package that matters.

I have some DIY DAC's with the AKM4495 chip. Haven't got around to finishing them yet.

Haven't heard anything about a new ADC from Grimm or Bruno at Mola Mola.

It would have to be a custom designed DSD ADC for Channel Classics. Hey, if Professor Ohashi could have an 11.2MHz DSD ADC designed specially for him, why not Jared Sacks... :)

I had the MFSL vinyl LP from the 1980s. Finally did a needle drop recording with Audacity at 16/44 before I dumped all my LPs and vinyl gear about 5 years back. Sounds just like the LP, probably better since the LP would have more surface noise worn into it by now.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

It would have to be a custom designed DSD ADC for Channel Classics. Hey, if Professor Ohashi could have an 11.2MHz DSD ADC designed specially for him, why not Jared Sacks... :)

Or Jared Sacks could continue to use the Merging Technology Horus for DSD 256 recording - as he did on the recently released album 8 Ensembles in 1 Bit that he produced. That album is now available in Stereo and Multichannel DSD and has been highly praised for its DSD sound quality. Note his comments about using "the best equipment available..." :)

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/jl0028-ensembles-in-1-bit

Or Jared Sacks could continue to use the Merging Technology Horus for DSD 256 recording - as he did on the recently released album 8 Ensembles in 1 Bit that he produced. That album is now available in Stereo and Multichannel DSD and has been highly praised for its DSD sound quality. Note his comments about using "the best equipment available..." :)

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/jl0028-ensembles-in-1-bit

That's awesome. I'm getting a couple Hapi's to play with right away. Dom says they are 100% equal in sound quality to the NADAC. :)

That's awesome. I'm getting a couple Hapi's to play with right away. Dom says they are 100% equal in sound quality to the NADAC. :)

For listeners that have Vinyl LPs and Analog tapes that they want to archive to DSD (up to DSD 256), the 8-Channel ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) in the HAPI is an interesting option.

You are not the only person who has recently told me they are looking at buying a HAPI..... :)

For listeners that have Vinyl LPs and Analog tapes that they want to archive to DSD (up to DSD 256), the 8-Channel ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) in the HAPI is an interesting option.

You are not the only person who has recently told me they are looking at buying a HAPI..... :)

I don't think there's a better way so far anyways. The Horus is only needed for live recordings with many channels of inputs.

Or Jared Sacks could continue to use the Merging Technology Horus for DSD 256 recording

Well, he isn't using the converter on the everyday basis in his professional work, just this one project. So evidently, he's waiting for something more. Something like a custom made Grimm AD with 128fs support, or even 256fs. :)

Well, he isn't using the converter on the everyday basis in his professional work, just this one project. So evidently, he's waiting for something more. Something like a custom made Grimm AD with 128fs support, or even 256fs. :)

He is? Haven't heard that Jared is waiting.... :)

• 10 months later...
Does anybody know what DSD ADC was used for the new 5.6MHz DSD transfers? Did Gus Skinas fire up his discrete EMM Labs converters at long last?

In checking on this further, it turns out that the Double DSD transfer from Analog Tape for Tea for the Tillerman was actually done by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound with Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center handling the authoring of the DSD Download.

Turning to the Analog to DSD converter used, it was the Merging Technologies HAPI converter. The same DSD converter used for DSD 128 and DSD 256 releases by Yarlung, Blue Coast Music and more recently Jared Sacks on the new Raizes album in Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256 on the Just Listen label.

The Super HiRez web site has been updated to show that the Analog Tape to DSD Transfer engineer was Ryan Smith, not Gus Skinas.

Cat Stevens-Tea For The Tillerman-DSD Double Rate 56MHz128fs Download|Acoustic Sounds

First DSD 256 Releases for Blue Coast Records! | Blue Coast Records

https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com/

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/JL003-raizes

Raízes - Native DSD Blog

Anyone try the double DSD Tea For The Tillerman on Acoustic Sounds yet? I have the single rate DSD and it is pretty nice...double rate? May be the best, perhaps....

Not sure wot you lot are on about, but are you referring to the 128fs and/or 256fs versions of 2-channel TFtT?

Not sure if there ever was a multi-channel version.

I've had the AP 64fs SA-CD since it's initial release a few years ago and don't plan to to buy the 128fs version unless something happens to the SA-CD. It's not my favourite release; that award goes to "Teaser and the Firecat", should AP ever decide to release it.

Not sure wot you lot are on about, but are you referring to the 128fs and/or 256fs versions of 2-channel TFtT?

Not sure if there ever was a multi-channel version.

I've had the AP 64fs SA-CD since it's initial release a few years ago and don't plan to to buy the 128fs version unless something happens to the SA-CD. It's not my favourite release; that award goes to "Teaser and the Firecat", should AP ever decide to release it.

The Double DSD (DSD 128) Stereo Download.

In checking on this further, it turns out that the Double DSD transfer from Analog Tape for Tea for the Tillerman was actually done by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound with Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center handling the authoring of the DSD Download.

Turning to the Analog to DSD converter used, it was the Merging Technologies HAPI converter. The same DSD converter used for DSD 128 and DSD 256 releases by Yarlung, Blue Coast Music and more recently Jared Sacks on the new Raizes album in Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256 on the Just Listen label.

The Super HiRez web site has been updated to show that the Analog Tape to DSD Transfer engineer was Ryan Smith, not Gus Skinas.

Cat Stevens-Tea For The Tillerman-DSD Double Rate 56MHz128fs Download|Acoustic Sounds

First DSD 256 Releases for Blue Coast Records! | Blue Coast Records

https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com/

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/JL003-raizes

Raízes - Native DSD Blog

OK, so what is the consensus again? Does the double-rate DSD sound better than the single-rate DSD? I'm confused about the conclusions in this thread LOL.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

a link from a previous conversation here that may provide some worthwhile information:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/cat-stevens-tea-tillerman-25103/

JC

Ummmm, you sent me a link to this very thread? Thanks, I guess.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

Ummmm, you sent me a link to this very thread? Thanks, I guess.

Oops, sorry about that, meant to include THIS link:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f14-music-analysis-objective-and-subjective/cat-stevens-tea-tillerman-hdtracks-10012/index2.html

and this may also be useful:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f15-music-general/cat-stevens-tea-tillerman-now-direct-stream-digital-18631/

JC

Ah, no worries. Thanks for the links! I think I will try the DSD download after reading them.