IGNORED

Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman

Anyone try the double DSD Tea For The Tillerman on Acoustic Sounds yet? I have the single rate DSD and it is pretty nice...double rate? May be the best, perhaps....

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Not me, but I did buy the CD (my gf wanted it) and also bought a greatest hits CD twice: got a normal one first, and then re-sold it to buy the Millennium Collection CD version or something similar. The latter was up-converted to DSD128 before listening.

I'm not that big of a fan to now get a pure DSD version. I will try instead to save for more quad-rate DSD recordings.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I wonder how it compares to the 24/192 PCM version? I have that and it sounds pretty good. It was made from the master tapes using a MSB Tech A/D converter.

I'm gonna have a hard time resisting this purchase. Just read it's also from the analog master tapes!

Anyone try the double DSD Tea For The Tillerman on Acoustic Sounds yet? I have the single rate DSD and it is pretty nice...double rate? May be the best, perhaps....

It got a rave review from Cupboy over on the multichannel Quadraphonic Quad forum.

He says Tea for the Tillerman in Double DSD 128 "Sounds excellent. Dynamic Range is outstanding." (See link below).

Listening to Now In X2 DSD 128 Downloads

Thanks, bmoura, that is very hopeful to me that not only is this good but, if it gets so recognized, that the x2 market may start opening up...

John

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Thanks, bmoura, that is very hopeful to me that not only is this good but, if it gets so recognized, that the x2 market may start opening up...

John

I think we will see more Double and Quad Rate DSD releases. Blue Coast, DSD File and Native DSD all report strong sales of their Double DSD (DSD 128) and Quad DSD (DSD 256) releases.

Native DSD also says their "COMBI" deal where you get both the Stereo and Multichannel DSD downloads for a price just above the cost of either download is also doing well. Probably explains their announcement today of going over 600 titles in Stereo and over 500 titles in Multichannel DSD. :)

I think we will see more Double and Quad Rate DSD releases. Blue Coast, DSD File and Native DSD all report strong sales of their Double DSD (DSD 128) and Quad DSD (DSD 256) releases.

Native DSD also says their "COMBI" deal where you get both the Stereo and Multichannel DSD downloads for a price just above the cost of either download is also doing well. Probably explains their announcement today of going over 600 titles in Stereo and over 500 titles in Multichannel DSD. :)

I hope so. I grabbed "Jazz at the pawnshop" in double DSD a couple weeks ago and wow! Stunning. Only problem is after buying everything in double DSD they will release them in quad DSD. Wish they would just offer quad DSD versions now. They will need to buy A/D converters with the AT1201 chip inside.

I think beyond quad DSD is the point of diminishing returns. Until a better A/D chip than the AT1201 comes out anyways.

I hope so. I grabbed "Jazz at the pawnshop" in double DSD a couple weeks ago and wow! Stunning. Only problem is after buying everything in double DSD they will release them in quad DSD. Wish they would just offer quad DSD versions now. They will need to buy A/D converters with the AT1201 chip inside.

I think beyond quad DSD is the point of diminishing returns. Until a better A/D chip than the AT1201 comes out anyways.

It depends on the converters available and being used by the transfer and remastering engineer - as well as whether the music downloads store sells Quad DSD (many do not).

The Pyramix software and Horus and HAPI converters from Merging Technologies already support Quad DSD today - no need to wait for new chips! And there are certainly some Jazz albums out there in Quad DSD already - check the ones on Yarlung by the Sophisticated Lady Jazz Quartet. Nice.

On the other hand, some of the Double DSD downloads out there are very good as well. I like the album Take One by Piltch and Davis (of Holly Cole Trio fame) in Double DSD from 2xHD and some of the Jazz titles in Double DSD from DSD File/Opus 3. The album "Kustbandet - Live in Stockholm" on DSD File will remind you of Jazz at the Pawnshop in Double DSD. In short, lots of good choices out there!

https://www.nativedsd.com/homepage/quad_dsd_music

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/take-one

DSD File | Category | Jazz

It depends on the converters available and being used by the transfer and remastering engineer - as well as whether the music downloads store sells Quad DSD (many do not).

The Pyramix software and Horus and HAPI converters from Merging Technologies already support Quad DSD today - no need to wait for new chips! And there are certainly some Jazz albums out there in Quad DSD already - check the ones on Yarlung by the Sophisticated Lady Jazz Quartet. Nice.

On the other hand, some of the Double DSD downloads out there are very good as well. I like the album Take One by Piltch and Davis (of Holly Cole Trio fame) in Double DSD from 2xHD and some of the Jazz titles in Double DSD from DSD File/Opus 3. The album "Kustbandet - Live in Stockholm" on DSD File will remind you of Jazz at the Pawnshop in Double DSD. In short, lots of good choices out there!

https://www.nativedsd.com/homepage/quad_dsd_music

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/take-one

DSD File | Category | Jazz

The AT1201 is the A/D chip in the Hapi and Horus that makes it possible to handle quad DSD. It's also the same A/D chip the Ayre QA-9 uses.

http://www-test.ardatech.com/1201.html

Bruno Putzeys probably has something game changing in the works. Till then I think this chip is the king.

I'll have to grab those other albums you mentioned!

Bruno Putzeys probably has something game changing in the works. Till then I think this chip is the king.

I'll have to grab those other albums you mentioned!

There are more approaches to Quad DSD out there. Lampizator just launched their chipless DSD 256 upgrades and DACs and there are more companies working on Quad DSD DACs for release soon. In short, many choices ahead.

On albums, also check out the new 8 Ensembles in 1 Bit on Just Listen in Stereo & Multichannel DSD 256 (excellent) and in DSD 64 there is the Jazz album "In Summer" on Challenge Jazz. The track "Them There Eyes" is one of the best recorded Jazz Female Vocals I've heard. Finally, "Intercontinental" by Jazz guitarist Joe Pass on DSD 64 Wafer Card from Horch House Analogue Arts is also quite warm and tasty!

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/jl0028-ensembles-in-1-bit

https://challengejazz.nativedsd.com/albums/579

Intercontinental

There are more approaches to Quad DSD out there. Lampizator just launched their chipless DSD 256 upgrades and DACs and there are more companies working on Quad DSD DACs for release soon. In short, many choices ahead.

On albums, also check out the new 8 Ensembles in 1 Bit on Just Listen in Stereo & Multichannel DSD 256 (excellent) and in DSD 64 there is the Jazz album "In Summer" on Challenge Jazz. The track "Them There Eyes" is one of the best recorded Jazz Female Vocals I've heard. Finally, "Intercontinental" by Jazz guitarist Joe Pass on DSD 64 Wafer Card from Horch House Analogue Arts is also quite warm and tasty!

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/jl0028-ensembles-in-1-bit

https://challengejazz.nativedsd.com/albums/579

Intercontinental

Yes there's quite a few DAC's popping up with quad DSD decoding capabilities. But the AT1201 is the only ADC chip I know of that's quad DSD capable.

I'll definitely check those out.

I recommend this album if you like Jazz. Also recorded at "The Pawnshop" in Stockholm. It's extremely good music and the sound is stunning.

http://shop.dsdfile.com/2015/01/25/benny-waters-live-at-the-pawnshop/

I recommend this album if you like Jazz. Also recorded at "The Pawnshop" in Stockholm. It's extremely good music and the sound is stunning.

DSD File | Benny Waters – Live at the Pawnshop

Great recommendation...I'm enjoy it this afternoon very much!

John

We are already seeing the maturing of the DSD download market. Looking back at the hotly debated threads from two years ago, it is wonderful to see have far we have come and how quickly.

John

I also have the single rate DSD of Tea for the Tillerman I purchased from Acoustic Sounds May of last year for $24.98 and I like it very much, however I just can't see spending another $29.98 for the same recording. If Acoustic Sounds had a trade-up program I would definitely spend $5 for the upgrade, as some of my best sounding DSD downloads are double (5.6MHz) DSD.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

We are already seeing the maturing of the DSD download market. Looking back at the hotly debated threads from two years ago, it is wonderful to see have far we have come and how quickly.

John

Agreed. We now have 26 web sites selling DSD music online. The lion's share of it from Native DSD (over 600 DSD titles) and Super Hi Rez/Acoustic Sounds (over 500 DSD titles). Bravo!

https://www.nativedsd.com/new_browse

DSD|Acoustic Sounds

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds

Does anybody know what DSD ADC was used for the new 5.6MHz DSD transfers? Did Gus Skinas fire up his discrete EMM Labs converters at long last?

Does anybody know what DSD ADC was used for the new 5.6MHz DSD transfers? Did Gus Skinas fire up his discrete EMM Labs converters at long last?

I'm pretty sure that's what was used. The Grimm only does DSD 64. I don't think he has a Merging A/D or they would offer DSD 256.

I'm pretty sure that's what was used. The Grimm only does DSD 64. I don't think he has a Merging A/D or they would offer DSD 256.

If Gus, in fact, brought the heavy artillery of hardware DSD conversion for this new Double DSD release, I don't understand why this crucial information is not provided anywhere on the Acoustic Sounds site...

If Gus, in fact, brought the heavy artillery of hardware DSD conversion for this new Double DSD release, I don't understand why this crucial information is not provided anywhere on the Acoustic Sounds site...

Not sure. Is there any A/D converters on the market that can encode DSD 128 besides the offerings from Ayre, EMM labs, Merging, Korg, Tascam and DAD?

Not sure. Is there any A/D converters on the market that can encode DSD 128 besides the offerings from Ayre, EMM labs, Merging, Korg, Tascam and DAD?

Don't know, but the EMM Labs is the only one build from the ground up without off-the-shelf chips, and operates natively at 5.6MHz DSD...

I've heard he used a DSD product from Sony on the Double DSD Cat Stevens downloads.