IGNORED

Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman

I've heard he used a DSD product from Sony on the Double DSD Cat Stevens downloads.

Most interesting. Can you say anything more about it, like the product's model name, is it a new commercial product or a prototype? I haven't seen anything DSD 5.6 capable from Sony, as far as their recording equipment is concerned...

Most interesting. Can you say anything more about it, like the product's model name, is it a new commercial product or a prototype? I haven't seen anything DSD 5.6 capable from Sony, as far as their recording equipment is concerned...

That's all I heard. Sony.

Just checked the Super Audio Center's website, but the site still describes Sonoma as maxing out at 2.8MHz DSD. There's also no mention of any new Sony DSD 128 ADC on their converter list...

It could also be a DSD recorder that records at DSD 128. Who knows?

Just checked the Super Audio Center's website, but the site still describes Sonoma as maxing out at 2.8MHz DSD. There's also no mention of any new Sony DSD 128 ADC on their converter list...

I think you better give Gus a call and get to the bottom of this :)

For $29.95 us audiophiles need details.

I'm told it is a Sony Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) with both DSD 64fs and DSD 128fs conversion. It's a pro studio unit from Sony, no model number.

Could they be these?

B7u427ACcAADnQA.jpg

I was wondering some time ago whether they were 5.6MHz DSD capable ...

Could they be these?

B7u427ACcAADnQA.jpg

I was wondering some time ago whether they were 5.6MHz DSD capable ...

If not, something very similar. When Sony transferred all Sonoma sales and maintenance and the Super Audio Center to Gus Skinas, the Sony DSD gear was undoubtedly part of the transfer.

If not, something very similar. When Sony transferred all Sonoma sales and maintenance and the Super Audio Center to Gus Skinas, the Sony DSD gear was undoubtedly part of the transfer.

It's interesting that Gus decided to use these rare 5.6MHz converters from Sony Music Studios over the Meitners...

It's interesting that Gus decided to use these rare 5.6MHz converters from Sony Music Studios over the Meitners...

Yeah if you have both you would think you would use the best one. Perhaps the tonal signature of the Sony was a better match for the sound of these particular master tapes.

Yeah if you have both you would think you would use the best one. Perhaps the tonal signature of the Sony was a better match for the sound of these particular master tapes.

That is the key. The mastering engineers use the best sounding converters for their projects. In the case of the Cat Stevens DSD 128 project, Gus Skinas went with the Sony converters.

Similar to a recent comment on Facebook by Bruce Brown at Puget Sound Studios who does many Analog to DSD transfers. He owns and has his choice of Grimm, Meitner, Merging/Hours and Mytek ADCs. His comment:

"I have the Grimm. Doesn't get used much these days since the Horus showed up."
That is the key. The mastering engineers use the best sounding converters for their projects. In the case of the Cat Stevens DSD 128 project, Gus Skinas went with the Sony converters.

Similar to a recent comment on Facebook by Bruce Brown at Puget Sound Studios who does many Analog to DSD transfers. He owns and has his choice of Grimm, Meitner, Merging/Hours and Mytek ADCs. His comment:

And yet, to others, the Horus is too dry sounding... take note that Jared still sticks to his Grimm AD1 which produces a more organic and airy sound. BTW, it would be cool if Jared could audition the Double DSD Sony converters...

And yet, to others, the Horus is too dry sounding... take note that Jared still sticks to his Grimm AD1 which produces a more organic and airy sound. BTW, it would be cool if Jared could audition the Double DSD Sony converters...

It's all about preferences. Jared Sacks used the Horus when recording the recent "8 Ensembles in 1 Bit" album on Native DSD.

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/jl0028-ensembles-in-1-bit

Exactly why Bruno needs to release the AD2 :)

Exactly why Bruno needs to release the AD2 :)

Mytek is working on a Quad DSD ADC based on their Manhattan platform. That will be coming.

Haven't heard anything about a new ADC from Grimm or Bruno at Mola Mola.

The trend among pro converter makers is to enter the home audio market where sales are higher and there is constant interest in newer converter models. In fact, the recent interview with Dominique Brulhart of Merging Technologies was interesting for his reassurance that Merging was not leaving the pro market, as others have.

Mytek is working on a Quad DSD ADC based on their Manhattan platform. That will be coming.

Haven't heard anything about a new ADC from Grimm or Bruno at Mola Mola.

The trend among pro converter makers is to enter the home audio market where sales are higher and there is constant interest in newer converter models. In fact, the recent interview with Dominique Brulhart of Merging Technologies was interesting for his reassurance that Merging was not leaving the pro market, as others have.

Thanks for the link this is great news!

We are fortunate to have great companies like Merging out there. They are coming up with some real solutions that will take us to the next level.

But it will be a 2-channel ADC, and not a full-size, 8-channel studio unit? If so, it's unlikely that a company such as Channel Classics would consider using it...

But it will be a 2-channel ADC, and not a full-size, 8-channel studio unit? If so, it's unlikely that a company such as Channel Classics would consider using it...

My understanding is that the Manhattan platform will be used throughout Mytek's product line over time. In addition to the 2 Channel ADC they showed at The Show Newport for the pro-sumer market ($1,800), that would also mean ADCs in the pro market in both 2 and 8 channel editions.

https://mytekdigital.com/professional/

What is unclear is whether Mytek would make an 8 Channel version for the home audio market. The next big release in the home audio market for a Multichannel, 8 Channel DAC will be Merging Technology's NADAC converter which is due out in late August or September last I heard for $10,500 (2 Channel Stereo) and $11,500 (Multichannel - 8 Channels).

NADAC | HOME

As for Channel Classics (and Native DSD), the ADC used for recordings is up to them. You would have to ask Jared Sacks about his plans.

As for Channel Classics (and Native DSD), the ADC used for recordings is up to them. You would have to ask Jared Sacks about his plans.

I bet that if Jared could get a Grimm AD operating at today's 128fs or 256fs rate, that would be his choice. Unless such a device is built, he'll probably stick to his 64fs Grimm, or unless he can get his hands on a superior Double or Quad DSD ADC in general (Grimm or no Grimm).

I bet that if Jared could get a Grimm AD operating at today's 128fs or 256fs rate, that would be his choice. Unless such a device is built, he'll probably stick to his 64fs Grimm, or unless he can get his hands on a superior Double or Quad DSD ADC in general (Grimm or no Grimm).

I think their next ADC will be 8x DSD capable to match the Mola Mola DAC's capabilities.

I think their next ADC will be 8x DSD capable to match the Mola Mola DAC's capabilities.

I doubt it. But if they could release a Native 5.6MHz or 11.2MHz DSD ADC that would be great. From what I know, Mola Mola DAC doesn't even support these two sampling rates natively and has to downsample them.

Maybe Gus Skinas could send Jared one of his spare Sony DSD128 ADCs ;)

I doubt it. But if they could release a Native 5.6MHz or 11.2MHz DSD ADC capable that would be great. From what I know, Mola Mola DAC doesn't even support these two sampling rates natively and has to downsample them.

From what I heard adding 8x capability to the Mola Mola is just a matter of a few lines of code. Could be enabled anytime a 8x source material comes available.

From what I heard adding 8x capability to the Mola Mola is just a matter of a few lines of code. Could be enabled anytime a 8x source material comes available.

If by 8x DSD support you mean 24MHz DSD audio downsampled to 3.1MHz, then probably they could do it, but I'm talking about native DSD support without any sample rate conversions and without decimation.