IGNORED

AC Filtering, Grounding Boxes, Linear PSU and Balanced Power.

I was just in for a surprise. After installing my both 100Base-TX Ethernet cables I thought I would check the benefits with the Minimus connected to my router. Guess what? Now when all cables are unshielded and my SAT cable have a ground/DC blocker it sounds better without.

My Minimus is now serving my easy listening area which so far is the only place were I still use shielded wires. Sounds great connected to my Muzo Cobblestones RJ45 socket! ?

1485018475204.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

Awesome thanks. This PSU is certainly less expensive than 'audiophile' options.

It's probably much less performing in that respect for the domain of application than dedicated PSUs for audiophiles. Of course, you pay for the extra R & D, components, circuitry and better SQ you get with the dedicated PSUs.

A Lab PSU will look to provide a stable voltage, reduce noise at the output to some extent and have additional safety circuitry. These aren't sufficient to characterise a PSU for an audiophile piece of gear, IMO.

None of the extra actual work to make it sound excellent for powering audiophile products will have been effected to it.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

For those of you inclined to build something yourself there are two categories-- the linear regulated supplies which we discuss endlessly. I favor the Salas Shunt (eg SSLV1.1) for 8-24 v, and the Reflektor-D for digital.

Yet the capacitance multiplier is a much less talked about but really terrific supply that can be built for very low cost - this is perhaps the most sophisticated version: https://mrevil.asvachin.eu/amp/amp4/sub/psu2/

For situations where the supply is itself supplying onboard regulators it's perfect

You bet, these are great things to try, especially shunts at Line Level!

I already tested a cap multiplier in my Linear Regulated PSU with great results. I definitely can improve on that as well.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

This version is a bit simpler and another reasonable option: The K Multiplier

Yep, keantoken's circuit is great too.

I thought it would be an add-on to a reg circuit and not a stand-alone one though. I may be wrong about that.

Yep, keantoken's circuit is great too.

I thought it would be an add-on to a reg circuit and not a stand-alone one though. I may be wrong about that.

Could be either depending on what is needed. Either stand alone for say an amp or right before a shunt reg to reduce impedance.

Consider a switch or FMC or other device than can work with input between 5v and 12v -- no need or benefit for super precise regulation. Prob really need to filter out high freq hash ...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Could be either depending on what is needed. Either stand alone for say an amp or right before a shunt reg to reduce impedance.

Good point about impedance.

Consider a switch or FMC or other device than can work with input between 5v and 12v -- no need or benefit for super precise regulation. Prob really need to filter out high freq hash ...

Certainly the approach I have been taking and getting great results with: AC Filter Box with the digital appliances like the iMac, the TV and the 4K Blu-Ray player for now, and for the DAC, using the LRP and new USB Connection.

Some consider the DAC as digital, but in my view, it spans both domains.

Some consider the DAC as digital, but in my view, it spans both domains.

Should have qualified my post a bit more as this should normally be 'obvious', but things aren't as simple as they may seem, especially when a DAC internally is structured as:

A/D --> D/A --> Digital Filter/Analogue Filter -> Analogue Pre-Amp

with: PDN ---- Clock ---- DAC Chip

Help me stop spending?

http://www.powerinspired.com/ag500-ac-regenerator-500w-with-pwm-fan-control-p-1811.html

This has been around for a while with good effect for many people. Some have had this with a Balanced isolation transformer. I have the Airlink 1200 so why not!!!

Jump on the Sine-Wave..?

One issue is people have mentioned is the fan on this. It's my bedroom not some custom listening room so it can't be a hover craft taking off.

The model I am buying now has a PWM fan controller and my small power requirements should keep it at minimum..

As a back up plan..quiet PC'S have the best fans...

I found this Noctua as a replacement.

Spun down to 20% shouldn't be an issue on noise and heat generation.

Looking at Cornan.... not to rush off and buy one before I can evaluate any benefit.

About as quiet as I can find: PWM 4pin 80mm

https://www.quietpc.com/nf-a8-pwm

hopefully get all this before Friday. .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Help me stop spending?

http://www.powerinspired.com/ag500-ac-regenerator-500w-with-pwm-fan-control-p-1811.html

This has been around for a while with good effect for many people. Some have had this with a Balanced isolation transformer. I have the Airlink 1200 so why not!!!

Jump on the Sine-Wave..?

One issue is people have mentioned is the fan on this. It's my bedroom not some custom listening room so it can't be a hover craft taking off.

The model I am buying now has a PWM fan controller and my small power requirements should keep it at minimum..

As a back up plan..quiet PC'S have the best fans...

I found this Noctua as a replacement.

Spun down to 20% shouldn't be an issue on noise and heat generation.

Looking at Cornan.... not to rush off and buy one before I can evaluate any benefit.

About as quiet as I can find: PWM 4pin 80mm

https://www.quietpc.com/nf-a8-pwm

hopefully get all this before Friday. .

I thought that I read somewhere that the fans on the AG500 could be turned off completely if needed! Wrong? ?

No fans is better than the best fan in the world! ?

Looking forward to read your impressions! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Help me stop spending

Superdad Alex and John S have built an alternative to the very electrically (not acoustically) noisy PWM fan controller in iMacs.

Does it have an effect here?

I wouldn't be sure YashN. You know me PWM is a new concept. I just read Noctua have a better slew rate chip.

I am clueless if it would effect this but I know the wife wouldn't like the noise of fan in the bedroom.

No fan =more goooder

I could unplug it if the temp is low enough. I think.

We could be having a baby .. So my spending days are over for a while.. Months...Years.

I could order "what second hand ipod magazine" and Audio for babies weekly..?

We are not telling anyone yet until we get further along. Strange that I think the internet doesn't count. But thanks for the kind words.. Not that I am scared to death... I asked the wife if we could just adopt a 28 year old Swedish model instead.. No sense of humour sometimes the ladies..

I think a noisy fan is the least of my worries.. Fingers crossed ?

Ted, wow that's a lot of fans. You must have one of those nuclear fission based power supplies!

2 on the cpu cooler, 2 on the GPU card (not noctua), 2 in the front panel and one on the back. I would have thought it would sound like a vacuum cleaner, but instead sounds like a Rolex watch. Amazing.

2 on the cpu cooler, 2 on the GPU card (not noctua), 2 in the front panel and one on the back. I would have thought it would sound like a vacuum cleaner, but instead sounds like a Rolex watch. Amazing.

Funny, I have the one Noctua cpu cooler and fan for everything. It's in a HTPC case, is pretty open, so the convection is good. I am powering the CPU, motherboard and ram drawing probably 120 watts at peak with a 1600 watt titanium ATX PSU so the PSU fan never turns on.

Happily the electrical noise from the fan does not seem to pollute the sound quality.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Funny, I have the one Noctua cpu cooler and fan for everything. It's in a HTPC case, is pretty open, so the convection is good. I am powering the CPU, motherboard and ram drawing probably 120 watts at peak with a 1600 watt titanium ATX PSU so the PSU fan never turns on.

Happily the electrical noise from the fan does not seem to pollute the sound quality.

Fan noise (electrical not acoustic) was my no.1 concern, but no effect whatsoever. I've done a decent job of isolation (as have most of us here) so it's a moot issue, happily.

We are not telling anyone yet until we get further along. Strange that I think the internet doesn't count. But thanks for the kind words.. Not that I am scared to death... I asked the wife if we could just adopt a 28 year old Swedish model instead.. No sense of humour sometimes the ladies..

The good news is that kids are cheaper than audio...

Congrats.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Congratulation Middy! :)

Trust me. It will be a walk in the park compared to adopting a 28 year old Swedish model.

I use to play a lot of music for my kids while they were still in the womb. They both love music, but my GF are fed up! ;)

🎛️  Audio System  

I finally got my 14awg 4mm banana>DC2,1/5,5mm cable for my Voltcraft FSP-1134

1485798551325.jpg

Tossed in it all inside the bench, connected it to my router...

1485798604266.jpg

...and started to listen! Very obvious difference for the better. The sound is deeper, blacker, wider, airier, more nuanced, more attack, treble with more oomph & detail...yeah more of everything! :)

A very clear winner in my setup! Listening to Febueder - Soap Carv and enjoying myself to the full! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

The Voltcraft is really an awesome upgrade for my router. The more I listen to the improvements the more amazed I get! Extremely recommended! :) I wrote some more about it here as well http://www.computeraudiophile.com/showthread.php?p=630598

Cannot stop listening now. Daft Punk "Random Access Memories" have never ever sounded this great in my place thanks to Voltcraft! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

The Voltcraft is really an awesome upgrade for my router. The more I listen to the improvements the more amazed I get! Extremely recommended! :) I wrote some more about it here as well http://www.computeraudiophile.com/showthread.php?p=630598

Cannot stop listening now. Daft Punk "Random Access Memories" have never ever sounded this great in my place thanks to Voltcraft! [emoji4]

Would this be sufficient to power the Mac Mini?, (provided I used the Uptone MMK installed as well)

Also forgive me if you've specified this already, what are you using after the router, an FMC/fiber network or straight Ethernet? Are you using a microrendu?

Would this be sufficient to power the Mac Mini?, (provided I used the Uptone MMK installed as well)

Also forgive me if you've specified this already, what are you using after the router, an FMC/fiber network or straight Ethernet? Are you using a microrendu?

If 11-14V/4A is enough for the Mac Mini it should be sufficient.

I am using short DIY 100Base-TX Ethernet cables connected to TP-Link MC100CMs (both uphill & downhill powered by battery packs unconnected to ac mains). I am using a Auralic Aries Mini (battery powered) with Regen Amber (battery powered) & Pioneer U-05 DAC/PRE/HPA (connected to tech style isolation transformer + DC blocker). All this plus more is visible in my updated profile. ?

1485812178193.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

If 11-14V/4A is enough for the Mac Mini it should be sufficient.

I am using short DIY 100Base-TX Ethernet cables connected to TP-Link MC100CMs (both uphill & downhill powered by battery packs unconnected to ac mains). I am using a Auralic Aries Mini (battery powered) with Regen Amber (battery powered) & Pioneer U-05 DAC/PRE/HPA (connected to tech style isolation transformer + DC blocker). All this plus more is visible in my updated profile. [emoji4]

[ATTACH]32945[/ATTACH]

Thanks....pretty sure the Mini needs a minimum of 4.5-5 amps, I see the Voltcraft says "4/6" amps, so shouldn't it be capable of 6A at 12v?