IGNORED

CA Readers Are, "clueless, equally bitter and uninformed"

Computer audio will remain in the audio engineer's toolkit until something better comes along. Computer algorithms are essential to mastering audio from old formats. As long as we maintain playback equipment for the older formats, i.e., reel-to-reel, cylinders, 78RPM, 45RPM, cassette, we can improve upon how we archive and restore them, until the media has disintegrated and is no longer playable!

I'm not sure the "computer audio fad" will really die. The user interface may change. The computers will be embedded in different types of playback devices, and will then be invisible to the user

I'm pretty sure I'm agreeing with you!

I would agree that CA playback will be thrown in to low cost one box music servers, with control by phones or tablets. The concept of the HAP-Z1ES is brilliant, although technically flawed to a degree (20,000 track limit, now Gracenote gone...). The overwhelming management of TB's of files is still a big issue, the use of a NAS just complicates things, another box and networking to learn.

Not all people are computer savvy or want to be and given the complexity of CA, it will remain a niche market to those that are enthusiastic about using Version X.102 to play with PQR, maybe S with reservations. Vinyl (and CD players) will remain, cause they are simple to use, are a physical medium and de-clutter the mind from worrying about TB, HDD, DAC, USB and all that. Why make things so complex, when a simple music playback system is what people want, remember the cartoon?

erikprojectcartoon.png

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Sound reproduction is a crude form of VR. It's severely bandwidth and data rate limited. I note also that computation and perception processes are linked in many ways. I look forward to the days when advanced computation can simulate the sound of a Decca London playing on a Goldring Lenco with perfect fidelity, but then I am a little perverse.

Sound reproduction is a crude form of VR. It's severely bandwidth and data rate limited. I note also that computation and perception processes are linked in many ways. I look forward to the days when advanced computation can simulate the sound of a Decca London playing on a Goldring Lenco with perfect fidelity, but then I am a little perverse.

Buy yourself a good DSD 256 capable A/D converter and make some vinyl rips with the Goldring. With a good quality DSD 256 capable DAC it will be damn close if not indistinguishable.

Buy yourself a good DSD 256 capable A/D converter and make some vinyl rips with the Goldring. With a good quality DSD 256 capable DAC it will be damn close if not indistinguishable.

What I don't understand is why wouldn't he just play the record?

David

What I don't understand is why wouldn't he just play the record?

He could but this way he can have a digital copy that can be played back on several devices, in the car, and conveniently select and toggle through tracks with a mobile app. All this with the sound signature of the Goldring that he loves :)

Another bonus is it will save wear and tear on both the record and record player.

Thank you, I might just try that. My point was more that this is all a matter of personal taste. It's impossible to objectively prove the superiority of one system over another. We are victims of our evolutionary inheritance which was more concerned with efficient survival than aesthetic absolutes so our perception is just good enough to help us evade predators and no better. Our sensoria certainly gets nowhere near capturing objective reality in all its glory so have no basis for judging whether one system can capture reality better than another. Atoms are resolved in the lab using a mechanical stylus and light cannot resolve the grooves on an LP, we need electron microscopes for that. It's not a resolution issue, its not a technology issue, it's a taste issue. I like digital sources and class D amplifiers. I also like analogue replay via single ended valve amps. The important thing is not the precision nor the the technology, it's creating a satisfactory experience. Over the years I have built all sorts of speakers, some really good and some which should have stayed in the dark. One weekend I built a dipole speaker with a transmission line bass. I goofed with the crossover and had a frequency balance problem. I was about to turn the amp turn it off and dig out the soldering iron when Stevie Nicks started to sing. There she was in my room in all her vibrant luscious heartbreaking glory. It took my breath away. To this day I deeply regret tearing down that build as I have never heard Fleetwood sound so good since, and that includes the live concert two weeks ago in London. Some things may be wrong, but better.

Thank you, I might just try that. My point was more that this is all a matter of personal taste. It's impossible to objectively prove the superiority of one system over another. We are victims of our evolutionary inheritance which was more concerned with efficient survival than aesthetic absolutes so our perception is just good enough to help us evade predators and no better. Our sensoria certainly gets nowhere near capturing objective reality in all its glory so have no basis for judging whether one system can capture reality better than another. Atoms are resolved in the lab using a mechanical stylus and light cannot resolve the grooves on an LP, we need electron microscopes for that. It's not a resolution issue, its not a technology issue, it's a taste issue. I like digital sources and class D amplifiers. I also like analogue replay via single ended valve amps. The important thing is not the precision nor the the technology, it's creating a satisfactory experience. Over the years I have built all sorts of speakers, some really good and some which should have stayed in the dark. One weekend I built a dipole speaker with a transmission line bass. I goofed with the crossover and had a frequency balance problem. I was about to turn the amp turn it off and dig out the soldering iron when Stevie Nicks started to sing. There she was in my room in all her vibrant luscious heartbreaking glory. It took my breath away. To this day I deeply regret tearing down that build as I have never heard Fleetwood sound so good since, and that includes the live concert two weeks ago in London. Some things may be wrong, but better.

I definitely hear what your saying. What's really best is what sounds best to you.

I also build speakers and with my latest build I ended up running the mids full range when it was never the intended goal. Turns out they are the finest sounding speakers I've built to date :)

ImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1436484761.448586.jpg

ImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1436484743.213215.jpg

I definitely hear what your saying. What's really best is what sounds best to you.

I also build speakers and with my latest build I ended up running the mids full range when it was never the intended goal. Turns out they are the finest sounding speakers I've built to date :)

[ATTACH]19654[/ATTACH][ATTACH]19655[/ATTACH]

Wow, they don't look DIY at all, very professional looking - well done. They remind me of the Von Schweikerts.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Wow, they don't look DIY at all, very professional looking - well done. They remind me of the Von Schweikerts.

Thanks! Yeah I cheated and used a CNC machine :) 10 sheets of high grade 4x8' Latvian birch plywood went into them. Each layer is tuned to a different frequency to cancel out vibration. Front and rear baffles are 2.25" thick and walls are up to 4" thick in some areas. The inside has no parallel walls.

The rear of each woofer cabinet has a isolated sub-enclosure that houses 2 channels of Hypex NC-500 based amps with pure class a input buffers. The woofers are fully active using a DSP chip based xover. Top cabinet is a 2.5 way design with the upper mid running full range and the lower running from 300hz down. I managed to get perfect phase alignment between the upper mid and tweeter which uses a 4th order crossover built with high end Mundorf and Duelund parts.

The soundstage is unreal. Some instruments sound like they are 10' behind the speakers. This is the rewards you reap using cabinets this solid combined with perfect phase alignment. :)

... I cheated and used a CNC machine ...

It isn't the execution that matters but the thought that went into the design. Well done!

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Quite nice, Blizzard. Beau travail.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Thanks! Yeah I cheated and used a CNC machine :) 10 sheets of high grade 4x8' Latvian birch plywood went into them. Each layer is tuned to a different frequency to cancel out vibration. Front and rear baffles are 2.25" thick and walls are up to 4" thick in some areas. The inside has no parallel walls.

The rear of each woofer cabinet has a isolated sub-enclosure that houses 2 channels of Hypex NC-500 based amps with pure class a input buffers. The woofers are fully active using a DSP chip based xover. Top cabinet is a 2.5 way design with the upper mid running full range and the lower running from 300hz down. I managed to get perfect phase alignment between the upper mid and tweeter which uses a 4th order crossover built with high end Mundorf and Duelund parts.

The soundstage is unreal. Some instruments sound like they are 10' behind the speakers. This is the rewards you reap using cabinets this solid combined with perfect phase alignment. :)

Very impressive, and that must have been one huge CNC machine (I assume the gantry crane type running a router as the cutting head?).

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Yes a very big gantry machine the Andi Stratos Pro to be exact

The STRATOS Series - Anderson America (en)

Wow that's a serious rig (146 x 63 x 14), is it yours? I'm a metal guy myself with a Tormach.

Wow that's a serious rig (146 x 63 x 14), is it yours? I'm a metal guy myself with a Tormach.

No it's not. I used to have a real nice Flexicam with a 5x10' table but I sold it and decided to just sub out the CNC work. The majority of the work happens in the CAD/CAM program anyways. I just provide layered DXF files and specify all perimeters like RPM, feed and plunge rates I want them to use. They just need to assign the tool paths to the layers and generate the g code. I even supply the tooling since I have quite a bit of it already.

I recently listened to a 7-8 k vinyl setup with terrific Tannoy speakers playing the same Madeleine Peyroux album Careless Love twice.

I then inserted Ifi Micro Idsd and played the same album in 16/44 not high res.

The winner was digital vs vinyl .

Digital was more dynamic ,better clarity and tonal balance . The only think vinyl had was it was warmer and less fatiguing. That's it.

The Ifi idsd had some treble harshness but only the first 15-20 minutes or so.

• 1 month later...

hi, new kid in the forum and I'm definitely out walking well outside of my own neighborhood cuz I am a vinyl junkie. but I'm super interested in sound theory, production, the scieney stuff that take something from the studio to my speakers.. so I find myself enjoying your site.

There's a whole group of music lovers you folks are forgetting about when you talk about us vinyl junkies. Now I may be past 40 but I' actually new to vinyl.. why? Because I"m a DJ... and underground dance dj... yah, raves.. they still happen. (and let me tell you about the heated debates we have between the digitals ad the analougs, and very few of our fighting points have to do with your pro's and cons... yah, we do talk about sound quality, argue over tinny compression versus the alleged warmth.. there's those of us who want the first second of a record to sap crackle ad pop like a breakfast cereal, but I'll freely admit that's 100% a nostalgic thing.

I stopped playing digital music (by way of a laptop ad controller) 2 years ago, got myself two Technic 1200 mk3, a hot-as-heck mixer, a good quality monitor, and have been quickly amassing what a lot of my dj peers consider to be an enviable vinyl collection for a while now. I'm not going to go into the whole "fun of the chase" or "record delivery day joy" with you... though its real and it's great...

But I'm going to talk about sheer fun of PHYSICAL MANIPULATION OF MY MUSIC. And yes, you can aboslutely manipulate digital music on CDJ"s (turntables for cd's or mp3's on thumbdrives) and controllers, but there's something just so pleasing about an action, with a tactile sensation, creating a change in noise. A nudge does this.. a gentle caress of the side of the platter does that, twist or restrict the movement of your spindle for fine tuned changes, Loop a great section by going back and forth between doubles of a record and knowing EXACTLY WHERE to drop the needle exactly when, back and forth, by reading the grooves (you know how a song is about to change by subtle color and texture differences)... you can be gentle and subtle or treat your decks and records like sledge hammers depending on what you want to do.. AND YOU GET TO FEEL IT ALL WITH YOUR HANDS.

And, the newer technologies for dj's, the cdj's and controllers, they have SPECTACULAR options for manipulating and changing the music, they are an artists pallet with 40 colors and unlimited brushes to chose from. But vinyl.... vinyl is SET You can't loop it, you can't speed it up without altering the pitch, there's no pre-programmed cue points that you can jump back and forth within a song to, completely rearranging a tune as you go. Nope, we vinyl DJ's get a pallet of Black and White and if you have a real advance mixture, maybe a little red, and one damn brush.... with which we are expected to paint just as lovely AND VIBRANT a landscape as our digital competition (AND WE ARE IN COMPETITION, both friendly, and directly for a limited number of gigs).

So the vinyl DJ, to create competitive art has to be far more creative... even creative about OW to be creative, if that makes sense That forced creativity leads the not-complacent to a place where we make discoveries... people have been using 2 turntables and a mixer sine I think about 1925, yet, we all want to create something new... I spend HOURS in my room every week doing things I completely expect to sound awful because evvvvery so often, once in a blue moon... it's not awful, it's beautiful and it's SOMETHING I CREATED that o one has ever done before, at least that I know of. AND THAT... is something that doesn't happen for most digital dj's... not because of sound quality or recording method, but because they have too many tools and gadgets, they are TOO FREE to every really experience the true freedom of creative invention. And all through this bizarre creative process, I'm not just listening to my music, I'm literally massaging and caressing it... what's not to love about that?

I'm in NO way saying "vinyl is better" though I will say it's better FOR ME... but when you are discussing serious music jnkies, people who live and breath for music, who have formed their entire life around that love, who left hobby to date passion and eventually broke up with passion to move in with OBSESSION for music, remember the DJ's. And for fhose of us who chose vinyl, it's absolutely not a trendy thing (we get made fun of... "isn't that box of records heavy? HOW MUCH SPACE did you say thats taking up in your house? Oh look, I have 4000 songs on the thumb drives in my back pocket!" and on and on) we do it because we love it, we can't even HELP it. We try to quite, but there's no cure for a vinyl dj, only remissions..... so don't forget us when you talk about why "the kids are getting into vinyl"

JS

hi, new kid in the forum and I'm definitely out walking well outside of my own neighborhood cuz I am a vinyl junkie. but I'm super interested in sound theory, production, the scieney stuff that take something from the studio to my speakers.. so I find myself enjoying your site.

There's a whole group of music lovers you folks are forgetting about when you talk about us vinyl junkies. Now I may be past 40 but I' actually new to vinyl.. why? Because I"m a DJ... and underground dance dj... yah, raves.. they still happen. (and let me tell you about the heated debates we have between the digitals ad the analougs, and very few of our fighting points have to do with your pro's and cons... yah, we do talk about sound quality, argue over tinny compression versus the alleged warmth.. there's those of us who want the first second of a record to sap crackle ad pop like a breakfast cereal, but I'll freely admit that's 100% a nostalgic thing.

I stopped playing digital music (by way of a laptop ad controller) 2 years ago, got myself two Technic 1200 mk3, a hot-as-heck mixer, a good quality monitor, and have been quickly amassing what a lot of my dj peers consider to be an enviable vinyl collection for a while now. I'm not going to go into the whole "fun of the chase" or "record delivery day joy" with you... though its real and it's great...

But I'm going to talk about sheer fun of PHYSICAL MANIPULATION OF MY MUSIC. And yes, you can aboslutely manipulate digital music on CDJ"s (turntables for cd's or mp3's on thumbdrives) and controllers, but there's something just so pleasing about an action, with a tactile sensation, creating a change in noise. A nudge does this.. a gentle caress of the side of the platter does that, twist or restrict the movement of your spindle for fine tuned changes, Loop a great section by going back and forth between doubles of a record and knowing EXACTLY WHERE to drop the needle exactly when, back and forth, by reading the grooves (you know how a song is about to change by subtle color and texture differences)... you can be gentle and subtle or treat your decks and records like sledge hammers depending on what you want to do.. AND YOU GET TO FEEL IT ALL WITH YOUR HANDS.

And, the newer technologies for dj's, the cdj's and controllers, they have SPECTACULAR options for manipulating and changing the music, they are an artists pallet with 40 colors and unlimited brushes to chose from. But vinyl.... vinyl is SET You can't loop it, you can't speed it up without altering the pitch, there's no pre-programmed cue points that you can jump back and forth within a song to, completely rearranging a tune as you go. Nope, we vinyl DJ's get a pallet of Black and White and if you have a real advance mixture, maybe a little red, and one damn brush.... with which we are expected to paint just as lovely AND VIBRANT a landscape as our digital competition (AND WE ARE IN COMPETITION, both friendly, and directly for a limited number of gigs).

So the vinyl DJ, to create competitive art has to be far more creative... even creative about OW to be creative, if that makes sense That forced creativity leads the not-complacent to a place where we make discoveries... people have been using 2 turntables and a mixer sine I think about 1925, yet, we all want to create something new... I spend HOURS in my room every week doing things I completely expect to sound awful because evvvvery so often, once in a blue moon... it's not awful, it's beautiful and it's SOMETHING I CREATED that o one has ever done before, at least that I know of. AND THAT... is something that doesn't happen for most digital dj's... not because of sound quality or recording method, but because they have too many tools and gadgets, they are TOO FREE to every really experience the true freedom of creative invention. And all through this bizarre creative process, I'm not just listening to my music, I'm literally massaging and caressing it... what's not to love about that?

I'm in NO way saying "vinyl is better" though I will say it's better FOR ME... but when you are discussing serious music jnkies, people who live and breath for music, who have formed their entire life around that love, who left hobby to date passion and eventually broke up with passion to move in with OBSESSION for music, remember the DJ's. And for fhose of us who chose vinyl, it's absolutely not a trendy thing (we get made fun of... "isn't that box of records heavy? HOW MUCH SPACE did you say thats taking up in your house? Oh look, I have 4000 songs on the thumb drives in my back pocket!" and on and on) we do it because we love it, we can't even HELP it. We try to quite, but there's no cure for a vinyl dj, only remissions..... so don't forget us when you talk about why "the kids are getting into vinyl"

JS

Great post! Welcome to CA.

JS

Ahhh. Fresh air IN.

Welcome to CA and thanks for the post.

Gary

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

JS

Welcome to CA. Great intro post too!

I suspect some here will disagree. :)

Vinyl to me is - nostalgic. But then so are my college years, drinking $0.99 six packs, and many other things from my youth. Many of which I may look back fondly upon, but I prefer my current day versions of. Sam Adams vs PBR. Vinyl vs. JRMC... ;)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein