IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

12 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Exactly same problem as we all have. 

Is it the dual rate module that is able to auto detect then into 1 Gb speed ?

I don't know precisely how that process works. As the data sheet calls the Finisar module "selectable", so not autoselect, I could imagine that by manually setting the Mikrotik port to 1Gb the Finisar is set to 1Gb as well, so that with the next reboot of the switch its Autodetect can recognise the module at 1G and establish the connection, but I'm only guessing here.

The data sheet btw says:

"Transceiver data rate selected through the 2-wire bus in accordance with SFF-8472 Rev. 10.3. Soft RS0 is set at Bit3, Byte 110, Address A2h. Soft RS0 default state on power up is ‘0’ LOW, and the state is reset following a power cycle. Writing ‘1’ HIGH selects max. data rate operation. Transceiver data rate is the logic OR of the input state of the RS0 pin and soft RS0 bit. Thus, if either the RS0 pin OR the soft RS0 bit is HIGH then the selected data rate will be 9.95 and 10.3 Gb/s. Conversely, to select data rate 1.25 Gb/s both the RS0 pin and the soft RS0 bit are set LOW."

10 minutes ago, Bertel said:

I don't know precisely how that process works. As the data sheet calls the Finisar module "selectable", so not autoselect, I could imagine that by manually setting the Mikrotik port to 1Gb the Finisar is set to 1Gb as well, so that with the next reboot of the switch its Autodetect can recognise the module at 1G and establish the connection, but I'm only guessing here.

The data sheet btw says:

"Transceiver data rate selected through the 2-wire bus in accordance with SFF-8472 Rev. 10.3. Soft RS0 is set at Bit3, Byte 110, Address A2h. Soft RS0 default state on power up is ‘0’ LOW, and the state is reset following a power cycle. Writing ‘1’ HIGH selects max. data rate operation. Transceiver data rate is the logic OR of the input state of the RS0 pin and soft RS0 bit. Thus, if either the RS0 pin OR the soft RS0 bit is HIGH then the selected data rate will be 9.95 and 10.3 Gb/s. Conversely, to select data rate 1.25 Gb/s both the RS0 pin and the soft RS0 bit are set LOW."

Are you using FTLX1475D3BCV ?

Thats the dual rate module. 

FTLX1475D3BTL

FTLX1475D3BNL
FTLX1475D3BCL

These 3 are 10G. 

So what model are you using?

https://ii-vi.com/?s=FTLX1475D3&post_type=product&title=1&excerpt=1&content=1&categories=1&attributes=1&tags=1&sku=1&ixwps=1

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

How many here have succeeded with the dual rate FTLX1475D3BCV & the MikroTik CSS610-8G-2S+IN together with OM or ER ?

So far @Bertel reports the CRS305-1G-4S+IN works ( somehow) with FTLX1475D3BCV in router OS in Auto. Not in manual setting. 

I think it is still Switch OS.

New question (don’t know if it’s new to the entire thread, but new to the recent discussion:

Anyone know of a good quality reasonably inexpensive PCI-E 3 SFP+ adapter card that will work with Windows 11 and Linux?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

10 minutes ago, Johnnydev said:

I use supra cat8 diy with schields only connected on one site + SOTM black + audioquest vodka’s. The longest run is about 10m. 2x etherregen with farads super 3 (farads also on modem and router etc., the second etherregen with the afterdark 10Mhz giesemann EVA clock

I also use 3 afterdark blackice groundboxes, with a good result. Maybe that’s make also the difference, i don’t no.

What I just wanted to tell, is that SFPs and OMs also sound different, and sometimes leaving them out could improve things. i would say try this, its very easy to do the test. For me it has given a simplification and a much better SQ

I've used Supra CAT8 and Audio Sensibility Supra Super (Telegartner connectors, cryo treated), with and without grounds, and in numerous locations. I could never stand it for more than a day, the bass is recessed and there's a fatiguing treble zing. However, I've been an audiophile long enough to know that what works for one system and one's tastes is nowhere near universal. 

I haven't played with different SFPs, but I suspect they would differ in micro-detail and soundstage rather than tonality. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

please... do these Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL look legit ones?

puzzled 'cause price is pretty low and... three sport 20-49 (on the right, above barcode) whilst one shows 19-13 instead 😶

thnx

Finisar.jpg

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

On 4/9/2023 at 12:08 AM, Jud said:

New question (don’t know if it’s new to the entire thread, but new to the recent discussion:

Anyone know of a good quality reasonably inexpensive PCI-E 3 SFP+ adapter card that will work with Windows 11 and Linux?

Bought this one -

asus 10g.jpg

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 4/8/2023 at 6:27 PM, R1200CL said:

10 Gb switch isn’t cheap. 

https://www.wundertech.net/what-is-the-best-10gb-switch/
We definitely need a managed switch. And MikroTik isn’t an option. 

This may be a good candidate https://www.qnapworks.com/QSW-M408-4C.asp

So who will volunteer to be the guinea pig to verify that 1 Gb in SFP+ is working?

(tested with Etherregen). 

why isn't mikrotik an option?

3 hours ago, wklie said:

Over at Roon forum a Lumin user Flashman and I are comparing the insertion loss (lower dB value is better) test reports for Corning single mode fiber purchased from Fosco and fs.com respectively.  In case some members are interested

Can you please share a link / URL to this discussion?

Do you have any findings yet on which relevance Insertion Loss (and maybe also the other loss types) have in our specific audio application use cases, where cable lengths and data volumes typically are rather low in comparison?

On 4/9/2023 at 1:51 PM, audiobomber said:

I've used Supra CAT8 and Audio Sensibility Supra Super (Telegartner connectors, cryo treated), with and without grounds, and in numerous locations. I could never stand it for more than a day, the bass is recessed and there's a fatiguing treble zing. However, I've been an audiophile long enough to know that what works for one system and one's tastes is nowhere near universal. 

I haven't played with different SFPs, but I suspect they would differ in micro-detail and soundstage rather than tonality. 

I have an total other experience.

for me in my house it is almost like this:

https://audiobacon.net/2017/05/31/supra-cat8-ethernet-cable-review-an-amazing-spotify-and-tidal-experience/amp/

On 4/8/2023 at 1:45 PM, Johnnydev said:

I now think that with a good Ethernet LAN quality, the optical route can sometimes cause a deterioration in sound quality. and I speak from my experience.

I first had a TP-link 220 with the uptone LPS1.2 attached.

Then I upgraded to the Sonore OM deluxe V2 with a farad super 3 7V.

I've had all the afterdark SFP(+) modules+ cables listed on his website connected from the Sonore OM to my first EtherRegen.

All worked well in these setups and I must say I could hear SQ differences between the SFPs.

Now it just so happens that I bought a new streamer with Roon lifetime and that was immediately better.
Since I read in another review that removing optical and going back to LAN could give a better SQ, I tested that and in my situation it even gave a much better sound quality.

So I am now only on LAN without optical circuits and have therefore sold all optical circuits and cables.

So my theory on this is as follows:

My ethernet provider arrives optically in a box outside my house and then enters my house with a cable. An optical separation has therefore already taken place.

If the signal then deteriorates inside my house, it is due to Modem/router, all SMPS power supplies and possibly not the correct earthing routes in that chain and or pollution via the power grid

In the past I have had great success with grounding (no loops etc), power supplies, everything with Farads super 3, and power/powercords etc.(audioquest etc.) in a slightly better SQ every time.

And as it turned out at my house here, the signal gets worse with the best Sonore OM, sfp(+) on EtherRegen, when the rest of your system is already optimal.

So my experience and conclusion if the signal comes into your house "clean" and you have made all the above improvements, then the optical route is not the best for the SQ. It is again additional devices and converters that can disrupt it somewhat.

It's all about noise, EMI and power quality etc., right?

What do you think of these experiences and theories?

And what i want to say about grounding etc is for example this:

@JohnSwenson @Superdad

After I have not yet received any feedback here, I have now looked a little more closely at the common-mode interference of the SMPSs and think that these are an even greater evil than the leakage currents that are to be measured in the power supply voltage differential. The problem is that all power supply measurements are normally made in differential and here ripple etc. are the quality criteria. But what really hits Ethernet are the common mode interferences via GND of the device/switch and there it looks quite bad with the SMPS. I have almost on all cheap power supplies the 50Hz interference, which is by far much higher than the rest ripple of leakage current in the differential measured voltage. In addition, there are other noise here, which are transmitted directly in the Ethernet signal as common mode.

If you want to evaluate power supplies for Ethernet devices, you have to measure the common mode noise and see that the differences in hearing are due to this. A SMPS power supply can have great ripple values, but if the common mode is totally polluted, it is of no use.

With your Uptone SMPS power supply you have solved the problem by putting "-" or GND from the power supply to PE/ground. This solves this problem, which I can only recommend everyone to do with a SMPS - because of the common mode interference.

Best regards,

Eric

8 hours ago, audiophilac said:

why isn't mikrotik an option?

I taught that was very clear. There is (or I claim so) a bug in their firmware, so you can’t set speed to 1 Gb. The option is there, but isn’t working as expected. Hence you can’t use 10Gb SFP+ in 1Gb network, like you need for OM and ER.

The best solution, would be that MikroTik fixes the bug. So I hope as many as possible can email their support and request a firmware update. 

29 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I taught that was very clear. There is (or I claim so) a bug in their firmware, so you can’t set speed to 1 Gb. The option is there, but isn’t working as expected. Hence you can’t use 10Gb SFP+ in 1Gb network, like you need for OM and ER.

The best solution, would be that MikroTik fixes the bug. So I hope as many as possible can email their support and request a firmware update. 

My apologies, i might have missed the posts. Ill try to check my CRS309