IGNORED

Audioquest Jitterbug vs Uptone Regen?

It is a filter for 5V. There is noise from power supply and main board.

Which probably means the Regen and Jitterbug would work well together. As USB ports tend to be coupled in pairs you could put the Jitterbug on the one port, while having the Regen on the other port. Seems to me the Jitterbug only cleans up power, while the Regen tries to isolate the DAC USB from interference by taking over some of the DAC's work.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

How do you know which USB ports are paired?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi does anyone know if the Regen provides galvanic isolation between pc and the usb dac ?

If so maybe a usb power filter upstream is redundant ?

Thanks, gino

it doesn't

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

How do you know which USB ports are paired?

OS X system info tells you; Windows I haven't had reason to look, so I don't know.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi does anyone know if the Regen provides galvanic isolation between pc and the usb dac?

In-line, USB2.0 high-speed galvanic isolation is a much taller order than most people realize. I wrote about this elsewhere (and also explained about how DACs that tout galvanic isolation are all isolating AFTER their USB input processor). It can be done, but would be much more expensive (An FPGA with USB hub core, two power supplies, etc.; We set aside the project once we heard REGEN "amber"--BTW, shipments start Monday :))

In-line, USB2.0 high-speed galvanic isolation is a much taller order than most people realize.

I wrote about this elsewhere (and also explained about how DACs that tout galvanic isolation are all isolating AFTER their USB input processor).

It can be done, but would be much more expensive (An FPGA with USB hub core, two power supplies, etc.; We set aside the project once we heard REGEN "amber"--BTW, shipments start Monday :))

Hi and thanks a lot for the very helpful advice. A challenging task i understand.

I assume that very few if any dacs provide it. maybe it is not so impacting on overall performance ?

and i understand there are now other ways to approach the issue

Still i wonder if keeping the usb cable short (< 3ft), using a high quality usb cable and a decent usb power supply could work reasonably well.

I am not talking about chip isolators because i have also the feeling that they add jitter in some way. Just a disconnection of 5V and ground from the pc and using an external low noise power supply ...

Thanks a lot again. gino

Which probably means the Regen and Jitterbug would work well together. As USB ports tend to be coupled in pairs you could put the Jitterbug on the one port, while having the Regen on the other port. Seems to me the Jitterbug only cleans up power, while the Regen tries to isolate the DAC USB from interference by taking over some of the DAC's work.

How can the Jitterbug do anything to complement the Regen when all the Jitterbug does is clean up the dirty 5v USB from the computer that the Regen completely disregards by creating it's own 5v (if the USB dac even needs it) from it's own cleaner power supply? With the Regen in line, buying a Jitterbug seems to me to be a waste of $49?

Without a Regen, the Jitterbug's a bargain for what it does at $49 but that's only a small fraction of what the Regen offers and in my mind is also a more BANG for the buck bargain at $175.

But alas, I'm only relying on what I've read on both products as I've actually heard neither. I've already made my choice, my Regen is currently in the mail, 2 days from delivery.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very helpful advice. A challenging task i understand.

I assume that very few if any dacs provide it. maybe it is not so impacting on overall performance ?

and i understand there are now other ways to approach the issue

Still i wonder if keeping the usb cable short (< 3ft), using a high quality usb cable and a decent usb power supply could work reasonably well.

I am not talking about chip isolators because i have also the feeling that they add jitter in some way. Just a disconnection of 5V and ground from the pc and using an external low noise power supply ...

Thanks a lot again. gino

You are assuming that the the TPS regulators work all the way up the frequency range

and that the Jitterbug does not change ground loops or help filter out high hf better.

The TPS regs are good, but compared to better discrete regulators, are not that great.

It is sensitive to mains pickup and when powered by a smps, who knows ???

fmak

You are assuming that the the TPS regulators work all the way up the frequency range

and that the Jitterbug does not change ground loops or help filter out high hf better.

The TPS regs are good, but compared to better discrete regulators, are not that great.

It is sensitive to mains pickup and when powered by a smps, who knows ???

Hi and thanks for the reply

My point is that if very good sounding usb dacs non isolated galvanically do exist then " may be " this feauture is not a conditio sine qua non for good sound. Even just one very good dac is enough to break the rule.

However i would prefer a usb dac that takes only data from pc and not power.

Thanks again. gino

How can the Jitterbug do anything to complement the Regen when all the Jitterbug does is clean up the dirty 5v USB from the computer

I can see it how they would compliment each other. The Regen cleans up the power going thru the usb cable to the dac but does nothing to impact the PC itself. The jitterbug should quiet noise down within the pc theoretically making for a cleaner signal coming out of the pc into the usb cable. Not to get into the old debate but alot of this is based on the theory that there is tons of noise generators within a pc and that these all in someway impact the sound output. So if the digital signal coming out of the pc is cleaner from the jitterbug and the regen cleans up the usb power then your dac should have a much better shot of producing the best analog signal possible. This is of course assuming that your dac cannot already provide this sort of isolation on it's own. This also assumes that the end listener can actually hear a difference. Now I probably sound very skeptical and I am but for the prices of $175+$50 I'd certainly risk the small investment to find out for myself if I can hear a difference.

• 1 month later...
Yes, it does really improve SQ, plugged in next port.

Ok, I just ordered two of these to give them a try. Still confused on the placement of the second jittbug (first one obviously connected to usb cable >dac).

i will be using on a Mac mini (late 2012) with four usb ports on back. I run my dac out of the second USB port. Should the second jitterbug be plugged in next to it (either side of it) or could it be plugged into the last port? (Leaving a gap in the middle - third port). I shot an email to AQ and the response was that it doesn't matter. Ok, that might be the answer but not sure why it doesn't matter. Can anyone enlighten me?

Any news, folks? Did any of you actually tried the 'thing'? :)

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Not yet - ordered, but looks like a 2-3 week wait. Also have the Uptone Regen on order for August shipment. Going to try both of them together. From my understanding looks like they do different things and a different areas of the signal chain.

will be a lot of sound tests in the near future!

I'm still waiting for mine. My dealer said the following: "AQ revised their shipping estimate for the JitterBug from the 13th to the 24th".

So hopefully I will see it soon.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Just read Jitterbug review on Audiostream site.

Interesting comment by Michael - 'Initial listening impressions suggest that a combination of JitterBug/Regen offer additive improvements.'

Read more at AudioQuest JitterBug USB Data & Power Noise Filter | AudioStream

Very interesting!

IF all the Jitterbug does is clean up the 5v USB current which is blocked from the Regen anyways, I don't see it making any difference. But if it's actually cleaning up the USB signal itself, it could be $50 well spent. I'm looking forward to the actual listening tests to come or better yet an actual review that compares the 2 products, both separate and together, thou I doubt that would ever happen.

Interesting comment by Michael - 'Initial listening impressions suggest that a combination of JitterBug/Regen offer additive improvements.'

Very interesting!

Thanks for the link, Abee! Looks like we have a winner! :)

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Very interesting!

Yes, very cool, it means that this little device is useful in filtering out noise upstream at the computer-side. I am experimenting with filtering the computer USB with my short DIY USB cable too so I hope to get some meaningful results SQ-wise.

I am still a little intrigued by the addition of another jitterbug on an unused port causing yet another improvement, but it sounds a lot like the results people are getting when they experiment with chassis-grounding and signal-'grounding'. Makes you wonder when it will ever stop.

It would be interesting to see now how one Computer + JitterBug + Regen + USB DAC compares to, say HQ Player with NAA configuration in terms of SQ.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

In his current review on the JitterBug he does talk about a future review on the Regen

That's going to be awesome to read and should provide great additional visibility to the product (Regen)!

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

It would be interesting to see now how one Computer + JitterBug + Regen + USB DAC compares to, say HQ Player with NAA configuration in terms of SQ

Sure would!!! Hopefully someone can try it out.

Have a feeling Alex is going to get a flood of orders once Michael's review of the Regen gets published!!