IGNORED

Music for testing Audio Equipment

yes at least some things are getting better.

These albums have an incredible piano sound.

And the music is pure pleasure. Highly recommended.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21056[/ATTACH]Sound Liaison Music Shop

Grieg-St-Saens-Harth-Bedoya-300x300.jpg

Vadym Kholodenko, Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Miguel Harth-Bedoya, Edvard Grieg, Camille Saint-Saens - Grieg & Saint-Saens: Piano Concertos - Amazon.com Music

Reviews Rad Bennett

Nice coincidence, I've just mentioned the Kholodenko recording on my blog today: A Follow-Up on Grieg’s Piano Concerto – Andsnes Still Wins | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

In a nutshell, while Kholodenko has a great potential, the Norvegian orchestra is technically not the strongest I've ever heard, so I'd rather go for another recording personally. That said, the sound quality of this Harmonia Mundi release is very good indeed.

Nice coincidence, I've just mentioned the Kholodenko recording on my blog today: A Follow-Up on Grieg’s Piano Concerto – Andsnes Still Wins | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

In a nutshell, while Kholodenko has a great potential, the Norvegian orchestra is technically not the strongest I've ever heard, so I'd rather go for another recording personally. That said, the sound quality of this Harmonia Mundi release is very good indeed.

Which would you recommend?

Which would you recommend?

If you check out my blog post, you'll find that to me; Andnes and Jansons are the ultimate reference. Unfortunately only available on redbook. I also purchased the recent Perianes 24/96, and really liked it, so if you want high-res, this is a good alternative:

Two new recordings of the Grieg Piano Concerto* | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

That said, the Kholodenko recording got an Editor's Choice by Gramophone last month. I just think the alternatives I mentioned above are better. Different people, different tastes.

witmer-trio-en-azul.jpgSound Liaison Music Shop

Vadym Kholodenko, Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Miguel Harth-Bedoya, Edvard Grieg, Camille Saint-Saens - Grieg & Saint-Saens: Piano Concertos - Amazon.com Music

Reviews Rad Bennett

What is getting better is that jazz and related music, is obtainable with a well tuned and well recorded piano nowadays.

Earlier the piano might have been recorded well enough, but the condition and tuning was all too often questionable.

Classical recordings with an out of tune piano are hard to find. Even with recordings going way back.

If you check out my blog post, you'll find that to me; Andnes and Jansons are the ultimate reference. Unfortunately only available on redbook. I also purchased the recent Perianes 24/96, and really liked it, so if you want high-res, this is a good alternative:

Two new recordings of the Grieg Piano Concerto* | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

That said, the Kholodenko recording got an Editor's Choice by Gramophone last month. I just think the alternatives I mentioned above are better. Different people, different tastes.

If you are looking for the best piano recordings may I suggest the PlayClassics "Albéniz Iberia" album:

Try out track 3 "El Corpus en Sevilla". You can download the free 24bit 96kHz sample here:

www.playclassics.com/PlayClassics2496.wav.zip

Mario Martínez

Recording Engineer and Music Producer

Play Classics, classical music at its best

« Malcolm Steward, the editor here at TopAudioGear... been writing about music and hi-fi equipment for four decades. » His :

Eight tracks that should tell you if your hi-fi communicates emotionally and effectively: (arranged Artist: Song – Album)

1. Jim Campilongo: Blues for Roy – Orange
  2. Jerry Lee Lewis: Will the Circle be Unbroken – Mean Old Man
  3. Colin Hay: Dear Father – Gathering Mercury
  4. Lou Reed: Venus In Furs – Animal Serenade
  5. Anthony & The Johnsons: Epilepsy Is Dancing –The Crying Light
  6. Gillian Welch: Tennessee – The Harrow & The Harvest
  7. Tedeschi Trucks Band: Midnight in Harlem – Revelator
  8. Shawn Colvin: Sunny Came Home – A Few Small Repairs

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21056[/ATTACH]Sound Liaison Music Shop

Reviews Rad Bennett

+1 (at least for En Azul which I bought from Sound Liaison)

Greetings oso,

I believe Radio was, as Podcasts now are, good at introducing music—whether new or old :)

In New Zealand, I used to listen whenever William Dart's New Horizons was broadcasted :

William Dart hosts an hour of rock, pop, country or folk music; each programme focusing on a new release or two and placing these in the context of an artist's career to date. His encyclopaedic knowledge and gargantuan record collection allow him to find hidden gems and surprising links. With plenty of humour along the way, William gives a serious treatment to these vital forms of music.

WILLIAM DART'S TRACK RECORD

New Horizons has been on air for over thirty years. Its first broadcast in April 1980 was heralded by a cover on the New Zealand Listener. The albums featured on that cover - albums by Ry Cooder, XTC, The Kinks and Ray Davies, Sparks, Randy Newman, Lou Reed, Joni Mitchell, Elvis Costello and Jonathan Richman - were chosen by William. The artists have mostly continued to have flourishing careers and have been featured many times on the programme over the years. It just goes to show that William knows how to pick'em.

Latest being, John Grant, Sunday 25 October 2015, and free on iTunes

Or, a name more familiar, try listening to Dart's archived programme on Leonard Cohen. Or his tribute to the late Lou Reed.

«

an accurate picture

Listening now, good program. Thanks :)

You're most welcome :)

All that we consider « good » should be shared, tested...

And, sadly, most Podcasts' bitrates are low and we must compensate... For example, I've a special mono setup when quality is really bad (but want still to listen) :D

It's worth noting that William Dart have done Classical (plus Woody Guthrie) introductions for Composer of the Week

«

an accurate picture

220px-RaviShankar'sMusicFestivalFromIndia_album_cover.jpg

I was listening to this yesterday for the first time in years and it sounded so great, it brought this thread to mind. Apart from the exceptional beauty of the music, the sound quality is outstanding. The soundstage is deep and wide - perfect for testing audio equipment.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

of that little ball game...

Am reading that NZRU's team won...

Indeed, I don't allow much time towards « New Zealand's game » which may as well be liken to Colosseum sports of old.

Nor do I especially like ballet, but one of my favourite music videos is :

This short film by Norman McLaren is a slow-motion study of the pas de deux adagio, one of the most exacting dances of classical ballet. A ballet originally choreographed by the Russian ballet master Asaf Messerer is performed for this film by the internationally known Canadian pair David and Anna Marie Holmes, to the music of Albinoni's Adagio.

Perhaps better quality options with NFB's upload

And if you've enjoyed, visually, Fricke's Baraka, have you seen Arthus-Bertrand's Home :

Narrated by Glenn Close about...

«

an accurate picture

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21873[/ATTACH]

I was listening to this yesterday for the first time in years and it sounded so great, it brought this thread to mind. Apart from the exceptional beauty of the music, the sound quality is outstanding. The soundstage is deep and wide - perfect for testing audio equipment.

Thanks .

I will be looking for this one, I actually think I saw it in the LP collection at my cousins house, will check next time I am there.

[video=youtube;mdCWg-8MsMQ]

• 2 weeks later...

Witmertrio300shadow.jpgSound Liaison Music Shop

Reviews Rad Bennett

What is getting better is that jazz and related music, is obtainable with a well tuned and well recorded piano nowadays.

Earlier the piano might have been recorded well enough, but the condition and tuning was all too often questionable.

Classical recordings with an out of tune piano are hard to find. Even with recordings going way back.

I remember reading an interview with ecm engineer Jan Erik Kongshau were he said that to obtain a good sound the tuning it the most important, even more so than microphones.

I remember reading an interview with ecm engineer Jan Erik Kongshau were he said that to obtain a good sound the tuning it the most important, even more so than microphones.

of course, ...microphones don't make sound, they just pick it up :)

If you want to make a good recording you must record something that sounds good in real life before it hits the microphones. You cannot make it sound good afterwards.

To get the best sound you must start with a good instrument, then you must work the acoustics of the venue and then you can adapt the tuning to optimize the performance of the instrument on that particular venue.

Mario Martínez

Recording Engineer and Music Producer

Play Classics, classical music at its best