IGNORED

Music for testing Audio Equipment

I would like to suggest a Dorian recording of Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky Cantata, Op.78" by the Dallas Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Eduardo Mata.

Bought this CD after listening to the performance live; it's very natural-sounding capture of this relatively short piece for solo vocalist, choir and orchestra.

309sr53.jpg

Go

for an apéritif, albeit with different performers.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

"Maggie Said" by Natalie Merchant (especially the hi-res version) and "The Spring Song" by Patricia Barber (the bass solo in the middle is amazing).

I would say both of these tracks can be punishing in their own way...

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I do not think it matters what music you use to test as long as it is "normal" music, not some audiophile crap.

Too often people at shows playNorah Jones, Diana Krall or Patricia Barber or some other kind of elevator music. But that kind of music sounds good on most sets. There are no extreme highs or lows nor is there much going on.

I think you should use lost of different music anything from overture 1812, to Slayer to Spiegel im Spiegel to Junkie XL.

[br]

I do not think it matters what music you use to test as long as it is "normal" music, not some audiophile crap.

Too often people at shows playNorah Jones, Diana Krall or Patricia Barber or some other kind of elevator music. But that kind of music sounds good on most sets. There are no extreme highs or lows nor is there much going on.

I think you should use lost of different music anything from overture 1812, to Slayer to Spiegel im Spiegel to Junkie XL.

I don't understand the audiophile fixation on the 1812 Overture.

I'm a great admirer of Tchaikovsky's work but the 1812 isn't particularly interesting.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I would not mind a list of you favorite tracks of what u mentioned:)

Overture 1812 is only 1 16 minute track.

Spiegel im Spiegel I prefer the version with cello instead of violin

Slayer, Seasons in Abyss, Deciple, Raining Blood etc pick one

Junkie XL made some decent soundtrack for deadpool

But what I really meant to say it that you should not only pick your favorite track. But really push the system with all kinds of music. I always play some orchestral music, some electronic pop (Depeche Mode, Junky XL,) some metal (Slayer, My Dying Bride, Candlesmass) and some more quiet music, (Simon and Garfunkel, Spiegel im Spiegel,)

Another track I like to use is:

In Extremo:Villeman Og Magnhild

[br]

"Best music to test audio equipment with."

There can be only one answer to that question: Play what you like and what you are familiar with - regardless of genre. The sound of the stereo has to please you, not some self-appointed arbiter of taste such as magazines like Stereophile and The Absolute Sound tend to be. Only you know what you want your system to sound like. Some go for neutral, accurate sound (like me). others like big bass, bold mids and bright sparkling highs, with no concern about how this differs from the sound of real music, played in a real space. But that's why it's your stereo. It exists to make you happy. So "voice" your system using the music that you listen to and leave all the "recommended" test material to the recommenders!

I agree. And not unless you're doing mixes, the stereo's subjective sound is all that matters.

The only way it gets to be a test is for the poster to describe the particular attributes of the music are special. Can you hear it, or not? It isn't helpful to someone trying to tweak a system if he/she doesn't know what to listen for.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

The only way it gets to be a test is for the poster to describe the particular attributes of the music are special. Can you hear it, or not? It isn't helpful to someone trying to tweak a system if he/she doesn't know what to listen for.

Very true.

As I continue to refine my listening room, speaker placement and listening chair, I am surprised how I am shrinking the gap between what detail I can hear in my headphones and what is present in the room when I listen through the speakers. It's not all there of course but it gives you a taste of what you are missing. I have been reviewing the music in this thread through that lens.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

Yes, but primarily to identify content and detail. Particularly high frequency detail, making sure it isn't getting lost in the midrange and bass. I believe I will have to rely on my speakers to adjust the tone and timbre of the lower mid range.

One selection that I have to be happy with is the sound and texture of the grand G major chord that closes Randal Thompson's Alleluia.

That's a better recommendation.

So... I'd really like to hear your take on this too. It'll be real useful if I'm needing to tweak some new equipment too!

I find that choral music is helpful in judging the tone and soundstage of your system. The content is mostly mid to low midrange sound, has homogeneity across the spectrum, has specific content (detail) and a big sound.

The Randal Thompson allelulia is one of my favorites.

If the tone of your system is set right, the sopranos should have some degree of brightness but not strident. The overall tone of voices should be warm and fluid with no hint of harshness

You should be able to pick individual voices out of each vocal range well enough to follow the part they are singing and the overall soundstage that has consistent volume and smooth sound from speaker to speaker.

You should be hearing sopranos in the upper left, tenors in the upper right, bass lower right of center, and alto in the lower left of center.

The final chord is six part voices and it should sound more dense musically, and hopefully send a shiver down your back and put a lump in your throat. [emoji5]

Here is another tool to help judge the sound of your system. The author gives an detailed description of the sonority and characteristics of orchestra instruments and provides audio samples that are close to life like samples.

https://vsl.co.at/en/Academy/Instrumentology

Also, there is a lot of good reading and videos on line about percussion instruments. Getting the correct transient sound of the attack of a percussive note (as well as the decay) is very important for realistic sound. In my opinion this is essential for satisfying piano music.

I find that choral music is helpful in judging the tone and soundstage of your system. The content is mostly mid to low midrange sound, has homogeneity across the spectrum, has specific content (detail) and a big sound.

The Randal Thompson allelulia is one of my favorites.

If the tone of your system is set right, the sopranos should have some degree of brightness but not strident. The overall tone of voices should be warm and fluid with no hint of harshness

You should be able to pick individual voices out of each vocal range well enough to follow the part they are singing and the overall soundstage that has consistent volume and smooth sound from speaker to speaker.

You should be hearing sopranos in the upper left, tenors in the upper right, bass lower right of center, and alto in the lower left of center.

The final chord is six part voices and it should sound more dense musically, and hopefully send a shiver down your back and put a lump in your throat. [emoji5]

Choral music is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing the finding.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

Yes, that's it. Make sure the ripping is optimized to get highest quality. Recently I learned to rip CDs in WS2012 core mode optimized with AO 1.40 and realized a new higher SQ.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.