IGNORED

Music for testing Audio Equipment

Just listened to Cassandra Wilson's 'Love is Blindness' with my new DIY short USB cable with filters and was just telling my girlfriend how we can distinctly hear the different bass instruments: bass drum (very low) and bass, as well as the low notes from two different guitars.

A very good track to test for bass indeed.

Listening to '4 - Death Letter' today and this can be a good bass test track too: there are at least two low bass instruments, one is a guitar with vibrato (perhaps the other one is as well but it's lower) and several percussions line to go with those. Fairly certain this will be muddied up in a low-resolution/Lo-Fi setup.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I find the 1st 2 tracks on santana's abraxas to be very revealing. the 1st one has those chime bar things that hand in a row and the tinkling quality they make doesn't take much to move from crystal clear to terrible. the congos also show how muddied the sound is. good bass in there too. on black magic woman - track 2, the vocals can be very ordinary or nondescript on ordinary equipment.

Listening to '4 - Death Letter' today and this can be a good bass test track too: there are at least two low bass instruments, one is a guitar with vibrato (perhaps the other one is as well but it's lower) and several percussions line to go with those. Fairly certain this will be muddied up in a low-resolution/Lo-Fi setup.

good choice.

Just listened to Cassandra Wilson's 'Love is Blindness' with my new DIY short USB cable with filters and was just telling my girlfriend how we can distinctly hear the different bass instruments: bass drum (very low) and bass, as well as the low notes from two different guitars.

So USB cables can make such a difference. WoW.

VB5AjG7ye

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

So USB cables can make such a difference. WoW.

I would also attribute some of what we hear to the rest of the system that I've been tweaking and building (most of it is in the sig but I have yet to add the DIY AC Filter box as well as a couple of other things I am working on in the sig).

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

[video=youtube;zReWPjreJzI]

Solid band, and great dreamy, cityscape at night album. I believe I have all the albums but missed them Live a few years ago on New Year's Eve here.

I would also attribute some of what we hear to the rest of the system that I've been tweaking and building (most of it is in the sig but I have yet to add the DIY AC Filter box as well as a couple of other things I am working on in the sig).

Hi YashN

what does

it is in the sig
mean?

english is not my first language, thanks:)

Hi YashN

what does mean?

english is not my first language, thanks:)

sig = signature (i.e. the lower part of one's post which automatically gets inserted below each post). In mine you can see my audio system description as well as the DIY equipment.

You are a very industrious man, YashN. :)

Is that USB cable just a regular cable that you shortened, or did you make it with some special type of cable?

even on ''Time Out'' the tuning is not perfect;

No, but the album still sounds fantastic.

Knowing how important tuning is for sound to travel, and how loud it is percived, one can only speculate how much better the album would have sounded.

I am curious as well, found this on DIY, but what are the filters you are using?

Creating you own USB cables

You are a very industrious man, YashN. :)

Is that USB cable just a regular cable that you shortened, or did you make it with some special type of cable?

It's a regular cable that I shortened.

Thanks.

I am curious as well, found this on DIY, but what are the filters you are using?

Creating you own USB cables

I am experimenting with filtering out the higher frequency content not needed for the signal as well as filtering the power lines using inductors.

Thanks Yashn

You're welcome, look into Common-Mode Chokes. There's a lot of information on the Murata website.

Compared to the last recording of the great British pianist John Taylor(RIP).

The pianos or the piano technicians or the respect for the Jazz musician has definitely improved.

Highly recommended album, btw.

yes at least some things are getting better.

These albums have an incredible piano sound.

And the music is pure pleasure. Highly recommended.

Witmertrio300shadow.jpgSound Liaison Music Shop

Sound Liaison is a Netherlands based partnership two bass players, Frans de Rond and Peter Bjørnild. They’ve assembled some terrific artists who play great jazz and given them high definition sound. I raved about their initial recordings on the Sound Stage! Network, and have enjoyed watching their progress in listening to their appealing new albums.Their newest program is titled En Azul and features the Witmer Trio, Cajan Witmer – piano,

Han Slinger – double bass, and Maarten Kruijswijk – drums. The trio has been together for 20 years and all the players sound very comfortable in their skins. Their emphasis is on melody with ornamentation and variation that heightens a sense of melody rather than distracting from it. And they’ve picked some terrific tunes to work with – Carioca, TheGentle Rain, Moon River, Moonglow, Rhapsody in Blue,Recado, and St. Louis Blues, to mention a few. The playing is delightfully impeccable and the recorded sound nearly so. The trio sounds like it’s playing in a real space and is nicely spread between speakers with no exaggeration. The piano sound is perfect as is the sound of the many percussion instruments that are so imaginatively employed. The bass is solid; I could use just a tiny bit more focus on the attacks. Sound Liaison recordings are only available as high quality downloads. Many download formats are available including DSD and PCM 24bit/96kHz stereo. If you’re searching for real sounding intimate jazz, give the work of these folks a try. You’ll not be disappointed and it’s so good-natured, I’ll bet it will put a smile on your face.

Grieg-St-Saens-Harth-Bedoya-300x300.jpg

Vadym Kholodenko, Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Miguel Harth-Bedoya, Edvard Grieg, Camille Saint-Saens - Grieg & Saint-Saens: Piano Concertos - Amazon.com Music

A companion disc puts us back on more familiar ground as Ukrainian pianist Vadym Kholodenko, winner of the 2013 Van Cliburn competition, plays the Grieg Piano Concerto and the Saint-Saens Second Piano Concerto with Harth -Bedoya and the Radio Orchestra. There are already half a dozen good recordings of each composition in the catalog, but Kholodenko brings sensitive, controlled virtuoso playing to every passage and the smaller forces of the Norwegian Radio Orchestra achieve a transparency that other performances miss. I’d put Kholodenko neat the top of the list.

Reviews Rad Bennett

is this the one? it is a live recording?

[video=youtube;SkN9v-LBDhI]

yes at least some things are getting better.

These albums have an incredible piano sound.

And the music is pure pleasure. Highly recommended.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21056[/ATTACH]Sound Liaison Music Shop

Grieg-St-Saens-Harth-Bedoya-300x300.jpg

Vadym Kholodenko, Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Miguel Harth-Bedoya, Edvard Grieg, Camille Saint-Saens - Grieg & Saint-Saens: Piano Concertos - Amazon.com Music

Reviews Rad Bennett