IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

HumanMedia

Were you using the supplied +7.5V SMPS plugpack to power it ? A good quality Linear PSU or a further improved SMPS supply (e.g. "Mystery PSU) will almost certainly result in a far greater improvement than any short USB lead or adaptor.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

HumanMedia

Were you using the supplied +7.5V SMPS plugpack to power it ? A good quality Linear PSU or a further improved SMPS supply (e.g. "Mystery PSU) will almost certainly result in a far greater improvement than any short USB lead or adaptor.

Alex

Yep same results with a JS-2.

(But Regen aside the JS-2 takes the 2Qute to another level)

There must be another factor at play than the short adapter. My interest is piqued when I read other people's experiences where the Regen isn't an improvement. One person a few pages back said on one system the Regen was a complete improvement, but then on another the lower treble was a bit rough. It wasn't anything like my system but the negative aspect sounds exactly the same. Is there some other property of connected systems which induces an effect in either the Regen or destination DAC?

I am also intrigued if a second Regen would mitigate the issue? Bbecause of my location there is no one local who I could borrow another to try. Actually SandyK, I am in Sydney as well, so do you have a Regen yourself?

Yep same results with a JS-2.

(But Regen aside the JS-2 takes the 2Qute to another level)

There must be another factor at play than the short adapter. My interest is piqued when I read other people's experiences where the Regen isn't an improvement. One person a few pages back said on one system the Regen was a complete improvement, but then on another the lower treble was a bit rough. It wasn't anything like my system but the negative aspect sounds exactly the same. Is there some other property of connected systems which induces an effect in either the Regen or destination DAC?

I am also intrigued if a second Regen would mitigate the issue? Bbecause of my location there is no one local who I could borrow another to try. Actually SandyK, I am in Sydney as well, so do you have a Regen yourself?

HumanMedia

The Amber Regen that I heard belonged to Audiophile Neuroscience. However, I gather that David is so busy listening to it, that the last I heard he hadn't even taken it out to see how his Bricasti M1 DAC performs without it !

David is however still using a 12V SMPS plugpack which is further regulated down to +9V, then through a John Linsley Hood designed PSU add-on (a type of Shunt Regulator) to power it. Without the improved PSU, I also heard pluses and minuses when listening to it.

With the improved PSU it was WOW !!

BTW, I am not a fan of a single Linear PSU (no matter how good ) also feeding numerous other devices. I believe there are advantages to further isolation of the power supply between peripheral devices. You could for example take a very good 12V output that also feeds other areas, and further regulate it down to say +5V for use with internal SSDs which would further reduce any interaction with the main +12V supply due to varying current demands by the SSD..

I would be surprised if the new "Mystery" PSU doesn't yield a further improvement over just using the JS2 to supply both internal and external devices.

Regards

Alex

N.B.

I am not knocking the JS2 or other Linear supplies, as they are undoubtedly a real game changer as far as SQ is concerned, compared with an existing internal SMPS .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

So is there any consensus about whether to use the UpTone Regen together with iFi's iUSBPower or iPurifier? Each of the three seems to do something different, but using all three at the same time seems a bit, well, overwrought. But if they help...?

So is there any consensus about whether to use the UpTone Regen together with iFi's iUSBPower or iPurifier? Each of the three seems to do something different, but using all three at the same time seems a bit, well, overwrought. But if they help...?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-audio-regen-power-supply-add-24963/index13.html

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?

Mac Mini (w/Audirvana; MMK; JS2; ext SSD); AQJB; Curious USB; Regen; Curious (20cm); Yggdrasil; anti-cable 6.2 ic; Cary SLI-80 Sig (NOS tubes); diy VHaudio airlock sp; Merlin VSM's (sadly, last iteration); Cardas Clear & VHaudio Flav 4 pwr cords; Tripp Lite iso trans; diy power box; Syn Res ART; diy Shakti Hallograph (4); Bybee room neutralizers & signal enhancers; Furutech GTX outlets; Stillpoints Ultra SS & mini

I started with iFi usb power and the power purifier. Once the Regen arrived I sold them. They really added nothing to the vast improvement that the Regen provides.

But, I am trying these little Tubes capsules from the Mad Scientist and they really add the missing link to everything.

I cannot use a single hard connector to connect Regen to DAC so that is probably the explanation right there.

These characteristics I describe are still there with two hard connectors piggybacked and with a range of low end USB cables I have tried between Regen and DAC.

You could try those right angle connectors on the RCA cable outs.

This way you are not adding anything to the USB side at all and can use just the short adapter. My pic shows me also using the right angle adapter but it was just me testing it out. You don't need it on the USB side.

I got mine from Jaycar here in W.A. LINK

They may effect the RCA side but the little testing I did seemed to indicate they were ok.

P6290779b.jpg

Actually found another pic

right angle RCA.jpg

Yep I've got one too and I'm in Sydney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your Avatar a hint at your location ? (North Head perhaps?)

It seems that Alex C and John have quite a following in Australia too despite the reduced buying power of the Aussie $ at present !

Is your Avatar a hint at your location ? (North Head perhaps?)

It seems that Alex C and John have quite a following in Australia too despite the reduced buying power of the Aussie $ at present !

I thought North Head as well, which is 15 mins away from me...

Rocky thanks for these additional images, they really help and inspire. Got me thinking that my analog interconnects have eichmann bullet ends. If I took the shells off the ends maybe I can squeeze the hard connector in. Maybe. And how does your 2Qute sound with the single hard connector? (Compared to two hard connectors)

After a couple of days running-in my Regen, I'd like to post my views.

I have a rather optimized system with a dedicated PC: ATX , CPU, USB card and SSD power by separate LPSUs, AO and RAM OS. Player is MQn.

Using PPA USB cable, the hard connector into my Hugo DAC and the supplied SMPS, it would be superfluous to report about SQ, because what I hear from my speakers is glorious MUSIC. Awsome!

After a couple of days running-in my Regen, I'd like to post my views.

I have a rather optimized system with a dedicated PC: ATX , CPU, USB card and SSD power by separate LPSUs, AO and RAM OS. Player is MQn.

Using PPA USB cable, the hard connector into my Hugo DAC and the supplied SMPS, it would be superfluous to report about SQ, because what I hear from my speakers is glorious MUSIC. Awsome!

Sorry, awesome!

I just want to extend a welcome to those posting here who either just recently joined CA or are just starting to post a bit more. And a BIG thank you to all for continuing to share your systems, listening experiences, and thoughts about the UpTone Audio USB REGEN in your music systems.

All the variety helps others those on the fence to give the REGEN a try (risk-free as I'll cheerfully refund anyone who is not 100% satisfied). Plus everyone gets to learn about the varied components in your computer audio chain--and maybe get more ideas for things to try.

Regards,

--Alex C.

P.S. The very last of the August-promised REGENs are shipping out this Friday--along with the very earliest of the September-promised units. :) Watch your e-mail for a notification/tracking number.

After a long wait for my REGEN it finally arrived in the UK late last week and it's only tonight I got around to trying it out.

In anticipation I powered the unit up a few days ago and left it soak burning in.

First impressions - oh dear! I had been expecting great things but alas my first impressions where of a forward presence, where the soundstage has lost its air, width and height. A test track that has a well miked snare drum that usually had a sense of reverberation from the walls of the studio was greatly diminished and flat. The sound stage was focused but didn't seem to extend beyond the speakers.

So I quickly put back as was and the scale of the soundstage and presentation returned.

My system is a Melco N1A audiophile NAS > Auralic Aries > Auralic Vega DAC, onto the Auralic Taurus Pre > Bryston 4BSST2 power amp > PMC 20-26 loudspeakers.

The much reported cue of the VEGA DAC exact clock drop outs when using the REGEN didn't happen either - in fact it was worse. The interconnection from Aries to REGEN / DAC is a high end Tellurium Q black.

So does it need more time playing or am I one of the few, whose system isn't going to benefit?

Your views would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After a long wait for my REGEN it finally arrived in the UK late last week and it's only tonight I got around to trying it out.

In anticipation I powered the unit up a few days ago and left it soak burning in.

First impressions - oh dear! I had been expecting great things but alas my first impressions where of a forward presence, where the soundstage has lost its air, width and height. A test track that has a well miked snare drum that usually had a sense of reverberation from the walls of the studio was greatly diminished and flat. The sound stage was focused but didn't seem to extend beyond the speakers.

So I quickly put back as was and the scale of the soundstage and presentation returned.

My system is a Melco N1A audiophile NAS > Auralic Aries > Auralic Vega DAC, onto the Auralic Taurus Pre > Bryston 4BSST2 power amp > PMC 20-26 loudspeakers.

The much reported cue of the VEGA DAC exact clock drop outs when using the REGEN didn't happen either - in fact it was worse. The interconnection from Aries to REGEN / DAC is a high end Tellurium Q black.

So does it need more time playing or am I one of the few, whose system isn't going to benefit?

i got my regen last week and I wasn't impressed either. But I left it burbling away in the background for 20 hours or so and it definitely improved. I'm not blown away but it's an improvement, so stick with it.

that said I just realised its broken my playback of 24bit 96hz flac files. I now get crackles and pops that I never got before. I'm on an old version of the Linux kernel with some known issues though so an upgrade of the OS beckons this weekend which had better fix it....

Vortexbox/ HDPlex LPSU- Ifi Mercury - Uptone Regen/ HDPlex LPSU (9v) - Audiolab Mdac - Naim NAC72/ Naim Hicap - Naim NAP140 - Avondale Blacklink cables - Linn Keilidhs

Another happy camper here!

I took possession of my Amber Regen late Monday night and put it into service immediately and was very pleased with the SQ improvement it produced right from the start (I had not gone to bed that late that night in months!). Luckily, I did not experience any of the problems that some members report.

The Regen produced a wider sound stage, more air between instruments and voices, a lower noise floor, better defined bass and, I find the most important, a greater naturalness to sound. I hear sounds that were hidden.

I have connected it using the supplied hard adapter and have not made a comparison with the supplied or other USB cables. I will most probably do a comparison one day.

I had the Regen running non-stop since I connected it, that is about 40 hours now, and can't say that I detected a further improvement in SQ. In any event, I don't mind not getting a further improvement as I am happy with what I hear now.

Kudos to Alex and John,

Gilles

MacBook Pro (OS 10.13, 16GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, external Oyen HD w FireWire, Audirvana+ 3.5) -> Mapleshade Clearlink USB Plus cable -> UpTone Audio ISO Regen w Ultracap LPS-1.2 -> Wavelength Brick v3 DAC -> Transparent Wave Link interconnects -> Luxman R-1050 -> Transparent Music Wave Plus speaker cables -> ASW Cantius 504 speakers

REGEN

It is now more than three week I have received my Regen.

I can confirm it really improves the pleasure to listen to music.

The first listen wasn't very good. OK, there were a little bass extension with better articulation, more air but I seemed the sound became harsh.

But, I know all system need time to burn in, so I was patient.

Little by little I've heard all becomes better. The first 10 hours were difficult for me. More and more air, more and more separations but the sound was like not equalized tonally.

But suddently, after about 15 hours, all became better. A lot of sweetness with the air and separation.

This was not a night and day, it still sound like I like in my system but it is like some dusts were cleaned. The sound is like more soothing with so many well separated details. A very very beautifull 3D sounding image.

And the improvement still continued until now.

I am not sure the burn in is now completed but I can just say that it takes more than 30 hours until now, so be patient.

The result is a new presentation of the music, I re-discover all my favorite tracks. It is like all my tracks has been remasterised.

Now, I can say, I've been "Regenerated" :-)

My system is a complete Teddy Pardo include the speakers :

Mac Mini with MMK > REGEN > TeddyDAC (with asynchronous USB) > TeddyPr1 > 2x MB100 > SP1-V

The Mac Mini and the REGEN are powered by the Uptone JS-2

I also had burn in issues... left it playing for days and it's now working well with my VEGA, it's a little bit better than without and therefore worth the investment.

I'm using Aurender for the player though, not Aries.

I've never had more than one or two dropouts in exact mode at the beginning of the 1st played track in a listening session... after that they never occur. This tells me that regardless of the regen, your system operating environment isn't optimal.

(try optically (fibre) isolating your LAN if you are using it wired Ethernet)

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I also had burn in issues... left it playing for days and it's now working well with my VEGA, it's a little bit better than without and therefore worth the investment.

I've never had more than one or two dropouts in exact mode at the beginning of the 1st played track in a listening session... after that they never occur. This tells me that regardless of the regen, your system operating environment isn't optimal.

I wonder if having 1-2 seconds of silence for device sync at playback startup would help. JRMC has this option.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

BUT, source player matters. I can do EXACT clock with ZERO dropouts with DSDx1, DSDx2, and 352kHz PCM.

PCM2DSD (cup goes to 5% usage) cause sync loss at times using JRMC.

I tested HQ player with the same PCM 2dsd settings and found the same sync loss. So who knows.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote