IGNORED

Tidal and WiMP through your software player of choice

How do create a Ramdisk in Mac?

Go to terminal and input this in:

diskutil erasevolume HFS+ 'Ramdisk' `hdiutil attach -nomount ram://4388608`

This will create a 2gb ram disk. Change the number in the end if you want a bigger one.

Also, make sure you move HQ Player from Application to Ramdisk and you haven't changed HQ Player from the default name of HQPlayerDesktop.

After selecting an album, depending on how fast your computer is it might be a bit of a time before HQ Player starts playing. For me it usually takes maybe around 10-15 seconds for music to start.

I'm seeing the same behavior on the Qobuz version. Geoff is aware of it.

I have just tested both Qobuz Audiophile and Tidal Audiophile to try to recreate this problem of the next batch of tracks not loading.

This is working for me, with shuffle and sample options off and with Ramdisk option off. I'd be grateful if you could test for Qobuz and someone else for Tidal with the same options.

I'm trying to figure out if the problem is related to any of these options.

Lionel, did you just copy or move HQPlayerDesktop to the Ramdisk? Please make sure you retain a copy in the Applications folder as normal.

For the Tidal folks, the gap between the first and next batch of tracks loading is quite long. This is to allow for the long wait needed to set up the poly-sinc filter for folks who are using that.

I may put an adjustable slider in there so you could adjust this interlude time. I did this for Qobuz already.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,

geoff

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

It does not work for me in iMac. I have chosen HQPlayer option. But when I press play, the music goes to itune instead of HQPlayer. Do I need to also select Ram Disk.

This thread is about Tidal (and Qobuz) add ons within Kodi only. I am working on a solution for iTunes; but it's not ready yet.

Geoff: Can you or someone else explain how this HQ player works? How can I play TIDAL or Qobuz through it?

I downloaded the trial it acquired my itunes library but nothing plays.

I have late 2012 mac mini i7 with 16gb RAM and use a Schiit Gungnir DAC.

Do i have to buy a Schiit Loki to upsample to dsd? And will HQplayer upsample TIDAL and Qobuz?

I assume I don't need to use Amarra Sq.

When I went to audio MIDI setup all of a sudden i have something called Soundflower 2ch and 64ch in left hand corner,what is that?

Lastly i have no idea what all those different setup options are and don't understand the their pdf manual at all.

Is there some simple way to get this to work-I really just want to hear if it is that much better than Amarra Sq.

Thanks

My Kodi add ons for Tidal and Qobuz will allow you to feed the tracks to HQPlayer where you can upsample them if you've set up HQPlayer to do that.

I'm not familiar with those DACs; but it looks like you need the loki for DSD. This isn't just about DSD though. With a good PCM only DAC you can also get a big improvement by up-sampling the Tidal or Qobuz streams using HQPlayer.

I don't know how you acquired Soundflower; but it's got nothing to do with this Tidal Audiophile addon or HQPlayer.

For HQPlayer just try the different filter and dithering/modulator options within the capabilities of your DAC and choose the ones that sound best to you. poly-sinc is a great choice for filter and your Mac Mini should be up to the task.

I am not able to get this working on my Linux (Ubuntu Studio) computer.

Here is what I have done so far:

1) Create a Tidal account & select an album

2) Installed Kodi & Geoffrey's add-on

3) Within Kodi, checked the add-on settings & checked Use HQ Player

3) I can select the album from Tidal and it starts "playing" - no sound

4) HQ Player is not starting up which I thought was the procedure. I manually started up HQ Player but the album is not showing up in the playlist panel.

This is all new to me so any assistance is appreciated.

Can you take a screen shot of your addon settings within Kodi?

This will be useful for me, as I haven't tested on Linux at all.

Thanks,

geoff

No working here in archlinux based system. There is this error in the log:

13:09:24 T:140639257728768   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                            - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                           Error Type: <type 'exceptions.UnboundLocalError'>
                                           Error Contents: local variable 'pathToHQP' referenced before assignment
                                           Traceback (most recent call last):
                                             File "/home/audiolinux/.kodi/addons/plugin.audio.tidalplus/addon.py", line 722, in <module>
                                               handle_errors(plugin.run)
                                             File "/home/audiolinux/.kodi/addons/plugin.audio.tidalplus/addon.py", line 713, in handle_errors
                                               f()
                                             File "/home/audiolinux/.kodi/addons/plugin.audio.tidalplus/routing.py", line 76, in run
                                               self._dispatch(path)
                                             File "/home/audiolinux/.kodi/addons/plugin.audio.tidalplus/routing.py", line 86, in _dispatch
                                               view_func(**kwargs)
                                             File "/home/audiolinux/.kodi/addons/plugin.audio.tidalplus/addon.py", line 596, in playlist_view
                                               track_list(wimp.get_playlist_tracks(playlist_id))
                                             File "/home/audiolinux/.kodi/addons/plugin.audio.tidalplus/addon.py", line 97, in track_list
                                               do_gapless(theTracks)
                                             File "/home/audiolinux/.kodi/addons/plugin.audio.tidalplus/addon.py", line 206, in do_gapless
                                               write_external_playlist(theUrls, playlistName)
                                             File "/home/audiolinux/.kodi/addons/plugin.audio.tidalplus/addon.py", line 310, in write_external_playlist
                                               pathToHQP += '/usr/bin/hqplayer'
                                           UnboundLocalError: local variable 'pathToHQP' referenced before assignment
                                           -->End of Python script error report<--

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

Hi Ahmed,

It would really help if you can test this on Linux. Theoretically it should work; but I'm afraid I don't have a Linux box to hand to test it on.

The procedure should be the same as Mac and Windows:

Install Kodi, install the Tidal Audiophile add-on from within Kodi by installing from the .zip file in the link. Then just configure the addon settings.

Geoff:

There are some posting already in the forum but I will try to give you a feedback this weekend. So far I good luck with getting Kodi to work on RPI2 and hoping the streak continues with your plugin.

Thanks,

ahmed

Reference -> WIIM Pro Plus powered by Larry's HDPlex-> CA DacMagic Plus -> AudioResearch DS225 Audioquest XLR -> Sonus Faber Olympica 2 Kimber Speaker Wire

Family Room -> ALOO DIGIONE -> SPDF-> Onkyo TX-NR609 -> 7.1 In Wall Polk Audio SVS Sub (Home Theatre)

Living Room-> BlueSound NODE Gen3-> Carver THX Amp -> NHT Zero + SVS SB-1000 (LivingRoom)

I have just tested both Qobuz Audiophile and Tidal Audiophile to try to recreate this problem of the next batch of tracks not loading.

This is working for me, with shuffle and sample options off and with Ramdisk option off. I'd be grateful if you could test for Qobuz and someone else for Tidal with the same options.

Lionel, did you just copy or move HQPlayerDesktop to the Ramdisk? Please make sure you retain a copy in the Applications folder as normal.

For the Tidal folks, the gap between the first and next batch of tracks loading is quite long. This is to allow for the long wait needed to set up the poly-sinc filter for folks who are using that.

I may put an adjustable slider in there so you could adjust this interlude time. I did this for Qobuz already.

Thanks,

geoff

Hi Geoff

I've tried it with your suggested settings on Tidal and I still have the same behavior. It will load 7 or 8 tracks into HQPlayer and quits playing after these tracks are finished. The remaining tracks are not loading. I've removed the Add On and reinstalled it and the problem is still there. Thanks for your help here.

Rick

Time Capsule, Various Music formats-->MacBook Pro Retina-->Audirvana 2.0, Tidal and Kodi for play through HQPlayer, USB-->iFi Micro IDSD-->RedWine Audio Isabellina Pro DAC/Balanced HPA using only Amp or TBI Millenia with resistor network-->Audeze LCD-2 Headphones

Hi Geoff

I've tried it with your suggested settings on Tidal and I still have the same behavior. It will load 7 or 8 tracks into HQPlayer and quits playing after these tracks are finished. The remaining tracks are not loading. I've removed the Add On and reinstalled it and the problem is still there. Thanks for your help here.

Rick

Ok just a little update, I had played an album with 9 songs and only 7 had played, I had closed HQPlayer and now about 15 minutes later it reopened and started playing the remaining 2 songs in the album, so they did reload but with a long delay of several minutes!

Rick

Time Capsule, Various Music formats-->MacBook Pro Retina-->Audirvana 2.0, Tidal and Kodi for play through HQPlayer, USB-->iFi Micro IDSD-->RedWine Audio Isabellina Pro DAC/Balanced HPA using only Amp or TBI Millenia with resistor network-->Audeze LCD-2 Headphones

Ok just a little update, I had played an album with 9 songs and only 7 had played, I had closed HQPlayer and now about 15 minutes later it reopened and started playing the remaining 2 songs in the album, so they did reload but with a long delay of several minutes!

Rick

The delay is long to allow for the set up time of poly-sinc on HQPlayer. Several minutes is too long I agree. I will create a new version where you can adjust the "interlude" time with a slider in the addon settings. I'll let you know as soon as it's ready and provide the link.

geoff

Seems that Tidal flac files are sounding brighter than the same files ripped from a CD. Maybe files sound different on HQ player when streamed vs played locally, or that Tidal files are somehow altered to sound brighter.

Can someone do a comparison as well?

Thanks,

geoff

I made sure there was still a HQP app in Applications. I tried without Ramdisk and same behavior.

PS Audio P5 Power Plant>HQ Player Mac Book Pro BootCamp Win10>NAA Mac Mini BootCamp Win 10>REGEN Green>REGEN Amber>IFI iDSD Micro>BHSE>Stax SR-009

Seems that Tidal flac files are sounding brighter than the same files ripped from a CD. Maybe files sound different on HQ player when streamed vs played locally, or that Tidal files are somehow altered to sound brighter.

Can someone do a comparison as well?

You have a lot of options to influence the sound in HQPlayer. Try different filter/modulator and up-sampling/conversion options within the capabilities of your DAC. I'm sure you'll arrive at a settings that suit you for Tidal streaming which may be different from the settings you use for ripped CD's. For the streaming settings, export them from HQPlayer as "streaming.xml" and copy this file to Kodi's temp directory. It will be used automatically for streaming Tidal.

Will do.

Thanks to you for your efforts on this. It is VERY MUCH appreciated!!

Here's the link to the corrected version, which also has a slider to control the interlude between batches of tracks being loaded.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86110007/software/plugin.audio.tidalplus.zip

I'll be very grateful if you Linux folks can test it as well as anyone having issues of long waits between batches of tracks. Experiment with the slider and you should be able to hit on the right value for your HQPlayer settings/system and DAC.

I made sure there was still a HQP app in Applications. I tried without Ramdisk and same behavior.

This is baffling me as it's working fine on my system. I'm continuing to test and if I find any problems I'll fix them.

Will send you a new copy anyway for you to re-install and check if it fixes the problems.

Please test in this order:

Shuffle off

Sample off

Repeat off

Ramdisk off

Interlude set to 8 seconds

Then progressively/selectively turn those settings on and test again.

Thanks,

geoff

Is there a chance that your add-on will work with Audirvana at all or is it something that Damien has to do himself to allow support for Tidal streaming?

Great idea BTW and very nice of you to make it available for everyone to use! :)

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

Here's the link to the corrected version, which also has a slider to control the interlude between batches of tracks being loaded.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86110007/software/plugin.audio.tidalplus.zip

I'll be very grateful if you Linux folks can test it as well as anyone having issues of long waits between batches of tracks. Experiment with the slider and you should be able to hit on the right value for your HQPlayer settings/system and DAC.

Thanks Geoffrey.

I installed the latest version (slider bar in settings showed up) but still no sound through HQP.

Does the script launch HQP? Or should HQP already be up & running? I tried both procedures with the same result - no sound. None of the tracks are loaded in HQP.

According the Kodi interface, the album loads (I can see album art & track list in Kodi) & starts playing (the timer is active).

My settings are:

Site: TIDAL

Quality: Lossless (FLAC - 14ll kbps)

Auto Login: checked

Audiophile (Uses external player): checked

Use HQ Player if available: checked

All other settings left unchecked. And of course my TIDAL login info is included.

Hope this helps.

Hi Geoff

I installed the new Add on and it is working great. I'm going to experiment with the slider as it cuts off the end of the last song when loading the next tracks but other than that it's terrific. Once again I thank you for putting this together. It's actually what got me to finally bite the bullet and buy HQPlayer.

Rick

geoff: i downloaded KODI but could not find the Qobuz and TIDAL Audiophile add-ons. There is nothing for TIDAL only WiMp add-on there is a Qobuz add-on and i was able to get that but it only plays in lossy mp3 and not lossless and it sound terrible. The only thing that sounds good is my iTunes library. The HQplayer doesn't play anything even my Itunes library but the library is there. Any other suggestions?

geoff: i downloaded KODI but could not find the Qobuz and TIDAL Audiophile add-ons. There is nothing for TIDAL only WiMp add-on there is a Qobuz add-on and i was able to get that but it only plays in lossy mp3 and not lossless and it sound terrible. The only thing that sounds good is my iTunes library. The HQplayer doesn't play anything even my Itunes library but the library is there. Any other suggestions?

bobbmd

You need to download the and install the zip file into Kodi that Geoff posted earlier. Make sure you set it up according to Geoff's instructions. Here's the link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....tidalplus.zip