IGNORED

Corning Optical USB cable experiences

... this test will cost me nothing ;-)

I'll use the 2nd output of the 5v power bank i use to power the downstream FMC of the optical brigde (my 1st source). Power bank is a nice improvement on the FMC, so why not on the Corning !?

Fyi, power bank and plugs cost me 45eur... far from 100... and in term of price efficiency ratio it is dam cheap.

My feedback next Tuesday.

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

I'll use the 2nd output of the 5v power bank i use to power the downstream FMC of the optical brigde (my 1st source). Power bank is a nice improvement on the FMC, so why not on the Corning !?

Fyi, power bank and plugs cost me 45eur... far from 100... and in term of price efficiency ratio it is dam cheap.

Rgds

Right but with a FMC the intervening cable is optical hence the true galvanic isolation -- the FMCs are powered at each end -- likewise with an SFP cable. This is a great solution for Ethernet.

The "problem" is that the Corning optical USB cable is hybrid optical and electrical -- the proximal head is powered by the source USB and sends power and ground down 28 g copper wires to power the distal head which recreates the USB signal -- hence no galvanic isolation between heads.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Right but with a FMC the intervening cable is optical hence the true galvanic isolation -- the FMCs are powered at each end -- likewise with an SFP cable. This is a great solution for Ethernet.

The "problem" is that the Corning optical USB cable is hybrid optical and electrical -- the proximal head is powered by the source USB and sends power and ground down 28 g copper wires to power the distal head which recreates the USB signal -- hence no galvanic isolation between heads.

I too have made the assumption that the Corning cable would sound better if the two ends were galvanically isolated, as is the case with the FMCs. It makes sense in theory, but like everything else in this crazy hobby, we don't know until we try. It appears that John Swenson is curious enough to take this on, which is terrific, as he is probably the best qualified person to give this a shot. I look forward to learning the results of his effort.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Rgds

I will be interested in your feedback ... prior to seeing your post, yesterday I purchased (for $USD 27) a similar cable to the one you linked to, as I have an XPAL 18000 LiPo (which has a 5V output) currently sitting around doing nothing ... and thought this may be an interesting inexpensive experiment for when my Corning arrives in a couple of weeks.

Will it help to provide galvanic isolation ? Probably not (I dont think so), but I dont understand galvanic isolation enough to even guess either way, so best if I dont go there.

Also purchased some USB adapters so I can try this cable on the upstream end of the Corning.

I believe my LiPo provides 1A at 5V, so I am wondering if the 1A that is available from the LiPo provides any benefit over the 0.5A from a standard USB port (even though I believe the Corning apparently just uses 90mA?).

So I got the cable similar to yours (and a variety of USB adapters) as I was curious if the Corning would perform even better if it was provided with a higher capacity 1A current (from the LiPo) than a 0.5A computer USB port.

I am also going to test on the downstream end of the Corning which is what I think you will be trying.

Like you said, it is a cheap test.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: Trinity Supreme new DAC optical interface

Trinity Supreme DAC and optical interface

Does anyone know what Trinity has done here? Looks like a ethernet-fiber converter but with USB?

12454_photo.jpg

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Could be a Gefen EXT-USB-400FO S. Expensive little device...

57.JPG

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Aha - probably the same thing. Cost with 30ft optical cable $1748 on eBay...

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: Trinity Supreme new DAC optical interface

Trinity Supreme DAC and optical interface

Does anyone know what Trinity has done here? Looks like a ethernet-fiber converter but with USB?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18377[/ATTACH]

Quick search found this forum post from 2013: Trinity Supreme

"But I assume you mean more or less the digital noise which comes from the PC motherboard. This could be an issue if you use a regular USB Interface, where the digital ground of the PC is direct connected to ground of the DAC. The TRINITY DAC uses therefore an USB interface which is galvanic decoupled from the PC side. There is no ground connection between PC and DAC!!!"

Anway, seeing that a $30K+ DAC and its $$ associated optical USB interface would be, ummm, slightly over my present budget lol, here's my brief & rather more down-to-earth experience instead with the Corning cable in my humble rig since the cable's arrival yesterday evening.

1) PC USB > Corning > USB A-to-B adapter > Octave Mk II USB

- Doesn't work - as expected, since my Metrum Acoustics DAC is USB bus-powered.

2) PC USB > Corning > Gemini Cable (Data) > Octave Mk II USB

....a/ PC USB > Gemini Cable (Power)

....b/ USB Hub > Gemini Cable (Power)

....c/ Portable Battery USB > Gemini Cable (Power)

- None of these 3 powering configs a/, b/ or c/ worked. Tried plugging into my desktop's multiple USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports but no luck. Blinking blue led on the Octave's USB input. Get a warning message in Windows 7: "USB Power Hub exceeded. The hub does not have enough power to operate the Amanero USB driver."

3) PC USB > Corning > USB Hub > Gemini Cable (Data) > Octave Mk II USB

....a/ PC USB > Gemini Cable (Power)

....b/ Hub USB > Gemini Cable (Power)

....c/ Portable Battery USB > Gemini Cable (Power)

- *SUCCESS*!!! The hub for whatever reason (handshake?) made all the difference in my particular setup, as I had hoped for after reading everyone's really helpful posts here, cheers!

Well not going to try at this point to articulate the sonic differences wrought by the addition of the Corning with the various powering setups outlined above, until I've had the chance to do more extensive listening and A-B comparisons (my Octave has only undergone about 30 burn-in hours thus far, so that's another additional variable).

Accounting for the inevitable listening bias & expectations, I'd however venture that my initial & rather limited impressions are that the Corning does make a more than subtle audible difference (to my ears at any rate), and that the hierarchy of perceived sonic improvement from these powering schemes = Battery power >> Hub power > PC power.

I'll confess to having skimped on the USB Hub here, springing for a cheapo AmazonBasics 4-port hub (US $15) over the forum-recommended j5create model (US $40). Primary reason being this basic hub's only intended to be a makeshift solution until my Uptone REGEN gets delivered sometime after 18 June hehe. Very excited to see if the Corning + REGEN will wrought another level of improvements, even if the Octave's USB module does already implement a filter followed by a regulator on its input... But my gaming tower does alas sport gazillions of noisy fans, with multiple WiFi/Bluetooth devices in the vicinity + a rather dirty household power supply source.

Portable battery pack put to use here is an old Anker 2nd Gen Astro3 12800mAh 3-Port 4A power bank that was lying around. Plugged the Gemini power connector end into the Anker's Smart USB output port (rated at 5 VDC, 2.4 Amps).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CEZBKTO

Note: Rear USB 3.0 ports on my desktop tower don't work at all for the data going out to the Corning, only the front ports. Both rear & front USB 2.0 ports are good however. Possibly since the front USB 3.0 ports are from the native Intel chipset, and the rear ones are extras from a 3rd party vendor tacked on by the motherboard manufacturer?

The ends of the Corning do get quite warm after a short time when connected to the computer's USB 3.0 ports. They stay pretty cool (slightly above room temp) however when connected to a USB 2.0 port over a period of 22 hours thus far. Corning is stable at this early stage, hopefully it won't fail or get glitchy after a week or so (bought mine from Amazon USA, so knock on wood that it's from a good & stable production batch).

Hi

just an idea : regarding the possible lack of galvanic isolation using the Corning, as soon as my holiday trip is over, I'll try this cable :

câble adaptateur usb-b pour alimentation externe usb-a

then there will be no power from the cable to my usb interface.

using this cable I'll insert power through a power bank for smartphone.

It should be optimum that way. Am I correct ?

Rgds

Hi,

this is the 1st result regarding the idea I had :

using the power bank as source of power, directly the Gustard U12 interface receives enough power to do the handshake immediatly, then connection with the computer through the corning is immediate.

I'll check the effect on sound when I have time in the next days, no time now to do it.

But, nice point :

the Corning, as it has been said before, let go thru it very little power. Thus, to enhance the handshake or for USB powered interfaces (or USB chip powered DACs), the use of a power bank is pretty cool & easy. Anyway what you have to power thru USB requires little amperes so using a power bank is a nice tool. For me it is.

Good point in using the power from external : the Gustard powers on when it receives power on its USB input.

Using this external USB power supply, the Gustard powers on directly.

This is a big change because before, when I get it power thru the Corning itself, the Gustard powered on in a few step with "clic ON click OFF click ON"... Well, not very nice & clear.

To be clear : I use a power bank with a capacity of 15000mAh.

Till now, I use it to power the downstream FMC for my 1st source. Tonight I'll leave this power bank to power the FMC & the USB input of my Gustard U12 USB interface on which is plugged the Corning (then to computer). I'll check how much the Gustard USB input pump on the power bank ; knowing that when I power the FMC alone I have to recharge to bank every 18hours.

Then, I'll check tomorrow if I have time the incidence on the SQ.

But, for me, the Corning cable does the work IF you HELP it with external power supply. At least to secure a good data stream, because it seems that giving a minimum of power to the USB chip is required, and the tiny power that goes thru the Corning is not sufficient.

Any, the extracost is damm small, thus not a big deal according to me.

Next info from me about SQ within 1 or 2 days

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

Ever try the Opticis yet? I would be curious of your results. Does it work, how well?

This all makes me wonder. Somewhere I have an older Opticis fiber usb cable that has no power leg (it uses a PS at the down link). It was used years ago in my shop for a CAD>CNC issue. I may have to check it out once my Regen arrives...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone found the latest version of Corning Optical USB 3.0 cable use two 28 AWG copper conductors?

I found it from it's official site:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18781[/ATTACH]

USB 3.Optical™ - Optical Cables by Corning

This is well known.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

You have to have a USB hub on the DAC side of the cable. Many generic hubs work, but an Uptone Audio REGEN is practically universally preferred.

Ok, thanks. I did not know that. I have a Regen on order, but would come in early July.