IGNORED

Official Light Harmonic Geek Pulse and LPS prices (100% to 200% higher than MSRPs listed during campaigns)

Passive components have to nothing to do with bit streaming or DoP? Most of the sales pitch looks like exaggeration written by Gavin trying to suck in unsuspecting buyers with little knowledge of DACs.

I remember when he was saying DSD128 has "128 times the resolution of CD!"

OK, but that directly contradicts what I quoted from the just-updated GoGo page... that bitstreaming is a feature confined to the Soul, and mentioned explicitly as a point of upsale. And furthermore, confined to the Soul because "passive components" need to be installed to "improve the DAC circuit's conversion efficiency". How can a mere firmware upgrade possibly remedy that? Once again LH needs to get its story straight.

This will clarify these things:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-pulse-high-res-audio-for-your-desktop

Geek_Pulse_Configuration_Technical_Specs.jpg

Who is going to back the Geek Soul? Thoughts?

Personally, I wish they had started with an option to that type of unit, but I guess it was way out of the scope of the original campaign. This seems to have been a learning process for the company in that people will pay a lot more than they had previously expected. They published the stats on which models were purchased and by far, people were either buying the base model or the maxxed put XFi model, with low number buying anything in between.

Me too!

So would I but I doubt you'll see it much. They're giving away some of their "secret sauce" here. Very cool of them to do. I could imagine only a handful of companies might ever do this. Most likely the "social" ones you see like PS Audio or something. Makes you wonder what kind of tricks are in the LH DaVinci DAC...

So would I but I doubt you'll see it much. They're giving away some of their "secret sauce" here. Very cool of them to do. I could imagine only a handful of companies might ever do this. Most likely the "social" ones you see like PS Audio or something. Makes you wonder what kind of tricks are in the LH DaVinci DAC...

These are basic design principles. It's being done extensively in IC designs and packaging designs as well. For designers, this is a common knowledge so I do not see any secret sauce being exposed there.

With that said, I want a Soul tube in a Pulse chassis, i.e. leave the LPS separate. The Soul chassis is not for headphone or desktop purposes so there is an opening there for a tube desktop version that most likely will happen some other time.

Very!!!

I would like to see this from other manufacturers also...

The measurements are very good. Looks like 21 to 20 bit or so resolution. Looking forward to getting mine.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I am writing the review for Headphone.Guru | Headphone.Guru on the Geek Pulse X-Fi and the LPS. Look for it in a couple of weeks. Here are some current shots from the listening room...

IMG_6719.jpgIMG_6720.jpgIMG_6721.jpg

I am a backer of the campaign and was for Geek out as well. I have been (im)patiently waiting for months to get the unit in house. It has been well worth the wait. It will be a real competitor at it's stated retail price. At the current IGG price it is a crazy good deal.

Upgradeus Interruptus.....

PS Audio Directstream DSD DAC, PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio BHK 300 Monos, Aurender A10, MacMini, Roon, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest Diamond USB, AudioQuest CastleRock Speaker cables, AudioQuest MacKenzie interconnects.

I am writing the review for Headphone.Guru | Headphone.Guru on the Geek Pulse X-Fi and the LPS. Look for it in a couple of weeks. Here are some current shots from the listening room...

IMG_6719.jpgIMG_6720.jpgIMG_6721.jpg

I am a backer of the campaign and was for Geek out as well. I have been (im)patiently waiting for months to get the unit in house. It has been well worth the wait. It will be a real competitor at it's stated retail price. At the current IGG price it is a crazy good deal.

If you get time try it with a the LPS and the wallwart. I did not order a LPS, felt a current sourced three pin reg would be fine. But to support the campaign, wish I had spent the additional 299.

I will build a power supply to see how it works with the Pulse. But will never hear if a Pulse is more effective.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I do not have the wall wart for the Pulse. So I am reviewing with the Pulse and the LPS as a combo.

PS Audio Directstream DSD DAC, PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio BHK 300 Monos, Aurender A10, MacMini, Roon, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest Diamond USB, AudioQuest CastleRock Speaker cables, AudioQuest MacKenzie interconnects.

If you get time try it with a the LPS and the wallwart. I did not order a LPS, felt a current sourced three pin reg would be fine. But to support the campaign, wish I had spent the additional 299.

I will build a power supply to see how it works with the Pulse. But will never hear if a Pulse is more effective.

I would try a battery supply too. Also the Salas regulator and Super Teddy Regulator circuits have good specs.

Hopefully, over time, I can play with several power implementations. That is part of the fun of the hobby!

I would try a battery supply too. Also the Salas regulator and Super Teddy Regulator circuits have good specs.

I have several battery supplies that should work. Usually end up with a high current supply with a 4 pole Jensen cap and filter network. A little inductance and a lot of energy storage seems to work well.

As far as current it is hard to compete with a battery. I was changing a connector on a small battery supply once. While dressing the leads got a knife across the +/- and got the pop. Looked and a chunk had vaporized from the knife blade. That is instantaneous current delivery.

...While dressing the leads got a knife across the +/- and got the pop. Looked and a chunk had vaporized from the knife blade. That is instantaneous current delivery.

Arcs aren't useful for audio, unfortunately.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

The Geek Soul upgrade has been selling out very quickly. I was watching on Indiegogo the moment the first round of units were made available and they (30 units) sold out in minutes.

It seems like an interesting product. But, it is being sold at a significant increase in price compared to the original campaign prices for the Pulse X and Xfi.

For instance, iirc the Pulse Xfi was originally offered at about $600. Then for a more direct comparison to the Soul Xfi you need to combine an LPS offered originally at about $300 to the Pulse Xfi for a grand total of $900. However, Light Harmonic is offering 120% of your campaign backing as trade in towards this upgrade perk. So, now you have about $1080 in credit towards your Soul upgrade. The Soul Xfi is being offered at $1700 for a difference of about $600. What exactly does this $600 buy you? A nice (arguable) T6061 chassis? Ok. What else? Bipolar power circuit? Ok. But everything else is supposed to be nearly identical since parts are to be essentially shared across products like between a Toyota Camry and a Lexus ES.

The Camry/ES comparison admittedly isn't a very good analogy in this case since there are many, many more cosmetic parts on a car, both interior and exterior, that can affect a buyer's sensibilities than there are on a piece of audio equipment. That and Lexus offers a better warranty helping to justify a premium for what is essentially the same car whereas the Pulse and Soul have the same warranty offering.

Rob C

A beautiful Soul...

Well at this point it is just another concept. It might take them another 8+ months to get it into production and out the door. They may be in for a rude wake up call when they find out what it is going to cost to have that cute chassis produced. Machining it from a solid block is will cost a fortune, and getting the finishing right on all those surfaces is going to be a big challenge. And forget about it being a multi-paneled affair.

I just don't get LH anymore. They have a million dollars or more and the entire continued existence of the firm riding on executing well and delivering pre-paid products, yet they hire a 23-year old graphic designer 3-months out of art school to do the industrial design for their most important new product. I don't wish a train wreck on them, but I am making so popcorn to watch the show…

P.S. Does anyone know where the headphone jack and volume control are going?