IGNORED

Auralic Aries: sonic impressions?

For the long term, you may consider buying a proper NAS. For the short term, backup your files as something in your rig doesn't appear to be reliable.

What do you mean by a "proper NAS"? I bought the Western Digital based upon the good reviews I read on Amazon saying it was a NAS, don't know the difference between a NAS and a proper NAS yet, unfortunately I can't return it so I am kind of stuck with it now.

What do you mean by a "proper NAS"? I bought the Western Digital based upon the good reviews I read on Amazon saying it was a NAS, don't know the difference between a NAS and a proper NAS yet, unfortunately I can't return it so I am kind of stuck with it now.

He means a NAS with multiple drive bays to hold HDDs that implement RAID tech to do automatic backup and has better NAS Operating System. You could then take the iCloud offline and use it as the backup drive to store your music (unnconnected) ----after you have copied over the music files to the NAS.

A NAS is just a Network Attached Storage so yes the Western Digital is a NAS.

What many people refer to a "proper" NAS is a unit from companies such as Synology, QNAP and Thecus (amongst others) which have multiple drive bays which can be easily accessed and drives swapped. In addition "proper" NAS will usually allow third party extensions / server software such as MinimServer to be installed.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thank you Eloise and Wisnon. Well said. The lesser expensive WDs (older ones also) are very good units for what they do, easy setup and simple operation. Unfortunately, the buyer loses a good amount of configuration flexibility.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

• 2 weeks later...
I am asking about the possibility of upgrading to an Aries to replace my nice CAPS V3 w/LPS. I have not seen anyone go from a CAPS w/LPS to an Aries comment (I may have missed it, though). My concern is that my CAPS is better than the three previous sources I've used (Mac Mini two different models and a SBT modded w/LPS).

Please post any CAPS vs. Aries comparisons if someone has them (preferred if they have an LPS on their CAPS and are going to the full Aries model).

+1 !

Auralic specific threads (software and hardware) are already 25+ pages long, and yet - noone posted any comments on SQ vs the popular CAPS v3 platform. Strage.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

+1 !

Auralic specific threads (software and hardware) are already 25+ pages long, and yet - noone posted any comments on SQ vs the popular CAPS v3 platform. Strage.

+2. This is the big question. Yes, it is strange nobody has commented. My future with this product largely depends on the opinions of you good people.

All I can add is this. I built a CAPS and compared it to my modded Mini. I kept the Mini. Fast foward to now and my Mini is for sale as the ARIES has replaced it.

Bottom line - ARIES sounds ahhhmazing and is simple and straight forward! I'm done with "standard" computers for my digital playback.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

All I can add is this. I built a CAPS and compared it to my modded Mini. I kept the Mini. Fast foward to now and my Mini is for sale as the ARIES has replaced it.

Bottom line - ARIES sounds ahhhmazing and is simple and straight forward! I'm done with "standard" computers for my digital playback.

Thanks jtwrace... that's the first (somewhat) direct comparison I've seen to a CAPS.

I also think it is strange that there are so few sonic comparisons out there right now. It appears that there are a lot of people with the device now, but relatively little actual discussion about aural performance through it.

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain

I think it is too soon to expect a comprehensive review per SQ yet.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

+1 !

I am preparing an article series (reviews) that discuss my opinion about the three main ways of getting music to DACs (streamer aka Aries, all-in-one Linux server aka Aurender, and DIY-based CAPS V3 tweeked out system aka WS2012/Jplay/AO). The Aries will be up first, after the intro stuff. I'm shooting for next week (and then need to get my DirectStream review out before RMAF). Figured if I put this out there it would motivate me to get off my writers-block-ass!! :)

I think it is too soon to expect a comprehensive review per SQ yet.

No, not really. This is a very simple device that does exactly what it should. The issue is bias. CA or Ted for that matter have huge investment of time and money into their CAPS units so they're just giving an opinion like me. Since it's all subjective all the opinions are of equal value.

Like anything, try for yourself.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I am preparing an article series (reviews) that discuss my opinion about the three main ways of getting music to DACs (streamer aka Aries, all-in-one Linux server aka Aurender, and DIY-based CAPS V3 tweeked out system aka WS2012/Jplay/AO). The Aries will be up first, after the intro stuff. I'm shooting for next week (and then need to get my DirectStream review out before RMAF). Figured if I put this out there it would motivate me to get off my writers-block-ass!! :)
Definitely looking forward to this, Ted. The relative sonic strengths and weaknesses of these three approaches need a serious review and discussion. Am also looking forward to what John Darko has to say about the Aries compared to the Antipodes servers he's used. (And why no mention of Antipodes on this site?)

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

This is a very simple device that does exactly what it should. The issue is bias. CA or Ted for that matter have huge investment of time and money into their CAPS units so they're just giving an opinion like me. Since it's all subjective all the opinions are of equal value.

Like anything, try for yourself.

Thanks for your support Jason! ?

Yes, readers, my time and investment trumps any honesty. If you read my reviews or posts you'll know I'm all about bs and what's in it for Ted.

Definitely looking forward to this, Ted. The relative sonic strengths and weaknesses of these three approaches need a serious review and discussion. Am also looking forward to what John Darko has to say about the Aries compared to the Antipodes servers he's used. (And why no mention of Antipodes on this site?)

I'd love to hear the Antipodes (as an Aurender alternative) and the Rendu (as an Aries alternative) but there's only so much time. And I suck at time management. I look forward to John's comments, too.

Thanks for your support Jason! ?

Yes, readers, my time and investment trumps any honesty. If you read my reviews or posts you'll know I'm all about bs and what's in it for Ted.

Uh, ok, thanks for the honesty.

baffled-smiley-emoticon.png

Thanks jtwrace... that's the first (somewhat) direct comparison I've seen to a CAPS.

I also think it is strange that there are so few sonic comparisons out there right now. It appears that there are a lot of people with the device now, but relatively little actual discussion about aural performance through it.

---Michael

That's why I started this thread....:)

+1. I am very impressed with mine and was honestly not expecting much when I bought it from a purely utilitarian perspective. Ancillary tweaks make a difference. the Totaldac USB cable made a nice improvement.....

I think it would be tough to write a review when your ears are filled with great sounding music!

ted_b - you are the man ! I'm looking forward to read your thoughts (as always).

Adam

Thanks for sharing. What CAPS have you build ? The one with the battery PSU and SOtM card ?

For what it is worth, going from SOtM USB card to JCat card with Teddy Pardo ULN PSU, and installing Win 2012 in place of Win 8, brought a substantial improvement over the original CAPS v3 recipe in my system.

Adam

Thanks for sharing. What CAPS have you build ? The one with the battery PSU and SOtM card ?

For what it is worth, going from SOtM USB card to JCat card with Teddy Pardo ULN PSU, and installing Win 2012 in place of Win 8, brought a substantial improvement over the original CAPS v3 recipe in my system.

It was CAPS V2 wtih Hynes LPS and various others. Did have SOtm card though.

It was CAPS V2 wtih Hynes LPS and various others. Did have SOtm card though.

So YOU are actually the one rationalizing and justifying your purchase, not Ted.

You are hysterical. So you are comparing the SQ of a CAPS V2 without the latest USB cards or WinServer + AO and spewing crap about bias??

Hysterical.

Excuse me if I trust Ted's "bias" over your self-proclaimed magnanimity.

So YOU are actually the one rationalizing and justifying your purchase, not Ted.

You are hysterical. So you are comparing the SQ of a CAPS V2 without the latest USB cards or WinServer + AO and spewing crap about bias??

Hysterical.

Excuse me if I trust Ted's "bias" over your self-proclaimed magnanimity.

Huh? Whatever.

Huh? Whatever.

What don't you get.

You are making claims about Ted and others being biased and tainted because of "large amount of time and money invested in CAPS" regarding what they have yet to say comparing the SQ of the Aries while you make comments that the Aries IS better; which you own of course, but have never really compared to a CAPS 3 with one of the newer USB cards, WinServer + AO because you never owned one. So I am pointing out your bias and hypocrisy accusing others such as Ted for being biased.

I think on this one Ted probably is less biased than your opinion regardless of what you think.