IGNORED

Auralic Aries: sonic impressions?

I am considering purchasing the Aries for a streaming option with my headphone setup but am very intimidated by it still. From reading the threads on here with people talking about upnp and mimiserver and all sorts of other things I don't know anything about my eyes just glaze over and wonder if I would ever be able to even get this thing set up and working properly. Can anyone speak to ease of setup and use for the Aries?

Its a little fiddly at first blush, but we can all talk you through it. Not that hard. Tech support from Auralic is also good...

Are there any measurements to back up why the Aries would outperform a Mac Mini server ( :-) )? Has anyone A/B'ed the basic Aries with the more expensive version with the better PSU and clocks, etc. ? Thanks.

I would be interested to see baseline measurements of Mini, modded or otherwise, and then compare those to something like the Antipodes.....

Looking forward to the review in DAR.

(Excerpt from DS Review comment section):

JOHN H. DARKOAugust 29, 2014 at 8:05 pm |Reply

Hey Assisi. The Aries only arrived a week or so ago and I’ve not had any time to play with it yet (due to writing this here DS coverage!) so I can’t really say yet how it compares to the Antipodes units. Yes, I’ve upgraded to the DXe and it really is something very special – by far the most relaxed, effortless sounding digital transport that I’ve heard to date and, in that sense, the Aries is up against some super-stiff competition.

Pricetag? If its 4-5K, I am not sure if there will be much formal "competition"

I dont normally focus on price, but then I dont normally have to search too hard to find an indicative sticker price - finally found a US dealer willing to publish their MSRP on the website -

Auralic Aries

Addicted to Audio in Oz have the LE at 1599 AUD

https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/auralic-aries-le-streamer-bridge

and the big daddy at 2199

https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/auralic-aries-streamer-bridge

UK customers seem to be on the '1 dollar equals 1 pound' merry-go-round, presumably courtesy of their crippling VAT regime and I suspect that import duty here in Thailand will push to price out to something closer to 2K USD for the base model at my dealer. Fortunately plane fare to HK is dirt cheap from BKK - just good to have some idea what people are actually paying for the Aries before I get on that plane. Interesting times ahead.

Edit: Darko, as always, is right on the case. I still think CONUS customers lead charmed lives compared to the rest of us - esp in terms of your superb freight system. Fast and cheap - that's a tough combination to beat ;)

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/07/keeping-it-honest-with-pricing-is-a-global-issue/

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

I'm not that tech savvy at all. But as jtwrace said, it's easier than you think. As of right now, I have my music library in a folder on my laptop. In my case, it's a MacBook Pro. I downloaded Minimserver very easily from their website. I told Minimserver which folder my music is in. Minimserver basically just finds your music library if you point the way and "indexes" it, so it can be accessed by a device like Aries. With a couple of hours of fiddling around, I had it somewhat figured out. I have done ZERO tweaking to the settings.

UPnP is also less complex than you might think. Just think of it a little bit (but not really) like "Bluetooth enabled". If any 2 devices are Bluetooth, no matter who makes them, they are supposed to work together and connect. UPnP is basically the same thing. If the Aries is UPnP enabled, if your server software is UPnP compatible, and if your app is also UPnP compatible, then they are designed to be able to work together. I really wouldn't think about it any more than that unless you WANT to!

The Aries was easy to get up and running. The app is crazy simple. And if your wifi network is working properly, then the Aries device will show up in the iPad app, and so will your music library. In simple terms, that's really all that Minimserver is for. It scans your music library and is there to communicate to a device like Aries and an app like Lightning DS. You can get fancier from there but you don't have to.

You could also keep your music stored on a storage device like a NAS. a NAS is simply a set of hard drives that are designed to be connected to a network like a home wifi network. Then your music can be stored there and you wouldn't need a computer running to play your music. It can be plugged into your network away from your listening space and accessed from anywhere in the network. The NAS is like a little computer, so Minimserver can be loaded on it just like it can be put on your laptop. The other advantage of the NAS is that it can backup your music on a different drive automatically.

The only other thing I can think of now is that if you are downloading music or ripping your own CDs to go onto your NAS, you might find that some of the info, album art, or metadata as its called, might need to be modified or edited. There are quite a few very easy to use third party apps, most are free, that you can easily use to edit your metadata. PC users use dBPoweramp ($) to rip CD's and it does a pretty good job of getting the metadata right.

Once you're up and running it should be very slick, elegant, easy. And the Aries sounds really great paired with a decent DAC. I'm using a $200 iFi iDSD Nano DAC and very happy with the sound!

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I was really hot on getting an Aries when it released but all the technical speak kind of drove me away from it as I'm just looking for something simple to use to access my music and it seemed to be geared towards more technical users. I do have a NAS which is what I am currently using to backup my music collection from my computer. Is there anything else I would need to do to get the Aries to work in my setup? I still don't quite understand the Mimiserver or upnp terms, are they something you need to have or download to get it to work?

Which NAS do you have? For example if you have a NAS supported by Minimserver, you need only install JAVA, the Minimserver software and just configure Minimserver to the location of your music library (where your music files are stored on the NAS).

Assuming you have embedded the meta data into the Music files (i.e. cover art) there is nothing else to do except using the Aries Lightning DS control application that runs on the iPad, specify your music server (Minimserver in this example).

Then you are all set as all your albums will be available within the Lighting DS application.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I dont normally focus on price, but then I dont normally have to search too hard to find an indicative sticker price - finally found a US dealer willing to publish their MSRP on the website -

Auralic Aries

Addicted to Audio in Oz have the LE at 1599 AUD

https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/auralic-aries-le-streamer-bridge

and the big daddy at 2199

https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/auralic-aries-streamer-bridge

UK customers seem to be on the '1 dollar equals 1 pound' merry-go-round, presumably courtesy of their crippling VAT regime and I suspect that import duty here in Thailand will push to price out to something closer to 2K USD for the base model at my dealer. Fortunately plane fare to HK is dirt cheap from BKK - just good to have some idea what people are actually paying for the Aries before I get on that plane. Interesting times ahead.

Edit: Darko, as always, is right on the case. I still think CONUS customers lead charmed lives compared to the rest of us - esp in terms of your superb freight system. Fast and cheap - that's a tough combination to beat ;)

Keeping it honest with pricing is a global issue | Digital Audio Review by John Darko

Crippling VAT? Its only 16.5%. There are other reasons than that for calling it Rip Off Britain!

Which NAS do you have? For example if you have a NAS supported by Minimserver, you need only install JAVA, the Minimserver software and just configure Minimserver to the location of your music library (where your music files are stored on the NAS).

Assuming you have embedded the meta data into the Music files (i.e. cover art) there is nothing else to do except using the Aries Lightning DS control application that runs on the iPad, specify your music server (Minimserver in this example).

Then you are all set as all your albums will be available within the Lighting DS application.

My NAS is a Western Digital MyTouch, but I am concerned about using it as a server because it can be very spotty, sometimes I can't even open my folders on it for some reason. I don't know if it has miniserver installed either, nor have I ever installed JAVA or "embedded meta data" or even know what that means. I am afraid this thing may be beyond my comprehension, I certainly don't want to spend $1600 to figure out I can't even use the device.

Not sure if that is a Nas. A Nas is an intelligent controller overlaying some storage devices. You may need to buy something like iOmega iConnect to add the level of intelligence needed and then you can connect several usb HDDs to it and then they will all be connected to the Network.

My NAS is a Western Digital MyTouch, but I am concerned about using it as a server because it can be very spotty, sometimes I can't even open my folders on it for some reason. I don't know if it has miniserver installed either, nor have I ever installed JAVA or "embedded meta data" or even know what that means. I am afraid this thing may be beyond my comprehension, I certainly don't want to spend $1600 to figure out I can't even use the device.

Hi, I looked around at both the Minimserver site and forums. I do not believe Minimserver is supported under the Western Digital MyTouch. What I might suggest as an alternate approach and probably the least expensive (short of buying a different brand NAS) is to wait until Auralic releases the update to the Aries that supports a locally attached USB drive.

Are you sure it is called a My Touch and not a My Book, My Passport or My Cloud?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Anyone compared the Aries to sth like the CAPS v3 Lagoon or better ?

+1

I have a CAPS V3 with a nice linear power supply running off a NAS with JRiver. It beats my two Mac Mini's and my Bolder Cable Co. modified and LPS powered Squeezebox Touch significantly. I'm sure a bunch of us are in this position. If they are equal in sound quality then it is an interface, library management convenience, and processing power choice (particularly when DIRAC and DSD conversion come into play). However, if the CAPS has better sound quality, then what's the point of switching?

I know we have two reviews coming out (Chris' and Ted's reviews) but has anyone gone from a CAPS with LPS to an Aries yet?

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Hi, I looked around at both the Minimserver site and forums. I do not believe Minimserver is supported under the Western Digital MyTouch. What I might suggest as an alternate approach and probably the least expensive (short of buying a different brand NAS) is to wait until Auralic releases the update to the Aries that supports a locally attached USB drive.

Are you sure it is called a My Touch and not a My Book, My Passport or My Cloud?

Sorry, it's actually called My Cloud, not sure where I got My Touch from. Is that compatible? I thought it was a NAS when I bought it, and it's connected to my router.

Sorry, it's actually called My Cloud, not sure where I got My Touch from. Is that compatible? I thought it was a NAS when I bought it, and it's connected to my router.

That is a personal cloud storage accessible anywhere, but with only 1 drive. Should have some NAS functionality...I think.

+1

I have a CAPS V3 with a nice linear power supply running off a NAS with JRiver. It beats my two Mac Mini's and my Bolder Cable Co. modified and LPS powered Squeezebox Touch significantly. I'm sure a bunch of us are in this position. If they are equal in sound quality then it is an interface, library management convenience, and processing power choice (particularly when DIRAC and DSD conversion come into play). However, if the CAPS has better sound quality, then what's the point of switching?

I know we have two reviews coming out (Chris' and Ted's reviews) but has anyone gone from a CAPS with LPS to an Aries yet?

Best,

John

You haven't told us which you prefer - the Aries or CAPS?

+1

Best,

John

Beats your two modded or unmodded Minis? Which Aries? I have know people who preferred a modded Mini to a CAPS. We now also have modded Minis being replaced by Aries. What are the jitter output or other relevant specs for a CAPS versus an Aries or modded Mini? Is there anything proprietary about a CAPS of any form? It would be entertaining to attempt software based analysis of jitter performance of these transports ala Nordost/Vertex (http://www.nordost.com/downloads/NewApproachesToAudioMeasurement.pdf + Nordost and Vertex Measurements | Stereophile.com).

From what I read on the Western Digital site, it can be used with DLNA/UPnP devices for streaming, so in theory it should work. I see the user manual shows how to set it up as a DLNA Media server.

I guess my primary concern were you mentioned earlier that it has been less than 100% reliable, is that correct?

You haven't told us which you prefer - the Aries or CAPS?

Beats your two modded or unmodded Minis? Which Aries? I have know people who preferred a modded Mini to a CAPS. We now also have modded Minis being replaced by Aries. What are the jitter output or other relevant specs for a CAPS versus an Aries or modded Mini? Is there anything proprietary about a CAPS of any form? It would be entertaining to attempt software based analysis of jitter performance of these transports ala Nordost/Vertex (http://www.nordost.com/downloads/NewApproachesToAudioMeasurement.pdf + Nordost and Vertex Measurements | Stereophile.com).

I am asking about the possibility of upgrading to an Aries to replace my nice CAPS V3 w/LPS. I have not seen anyone go from a CAPS w/LPS to an Aries comment (I may have missed it, though). My concern is that my CAPS is better than the three previous sources I've used (Mac Mini two different models and a SBT modded w/LPS).

Please post any CAPS vs. Aries comparisons if someone has them (preferred if they have an LPS on their CAPS and are going to the full Aries model).

I believe that is because he has the CAPS and does not have an Aries.

Correct...I am asking, not telling. Any insight anyone has would be welcome...

Thanks,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

From what I read on the Western Digital site, it can be used with DLNA/UPnP devices for streaming, so in theory it should work. I see the user manual shows how to set it up as a DLNA Media server.

I guess my primary concern were you mentioned earlier that it has been less than 100% reliable, is that correct?

Yeah sometimes the icon doesn't show up on my computer for some reason and I can't access my files. But then sometimes it works just fine. I don't know if anything is actually wrong with it but I am not sure that it would be consistent with music playback with the Aries, I just want to find something that works and sounds good, which at this point for security and ease of use I am thinking of just buying a laptop to use as a server, but if the sound quality is better with the Aries I would prefer to use that as long as I can get it to work and work consistently, I just don't know which route to go.

I am asking about the possibility of upgrading to an Aries to replace my nice CAPS V3 w/LPS. I have not seen anyone go from a CAPS w/LPS to an Aries comment (I may have missed it, though). My concern is that my CAPS is better than the three previous sources I've used (Mac Mini two different models and a SBT modded w/LPS).

Please post any CAPS vs. Aries comparisons if someone has them (preferred if they have an LPS on their CAPS and are going to the full Aries model).

In response to this question, I'm wondering aloud how soon Chris Connaker will post a review. He is likely your best bet to get a truly thoughtful opinion regarding this very comparison. I'm expecting any day now to see his interview with Auralic posted here, and hopefully a review or further comments by Chris will follow soon thereafter.

Yeah sometimes the icon doesn't show up on my computer for some reason and I can't access my files. But then sometimes it works just fine. I don't know if anything is actually wrong with it but I am not sure that it would be consistent with music playback with the Aries, I just want to find something that works and sounds good, which at this point for security and ease of use I am thinking of just buying a laptop to use as a server, but if the sound quality is better with the Aries I would prefer to use that as long as I can get it to work and work consistently, I just don't know which route to go.

For the long term, you may consider buying a proper NAS. For the short term, backup your files as something in your rig doesn't appear to be reliable.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

In response to this question, I'm wondering aloud how soon Chris Connaker will post a review. He is likely your best bet to get a truly thoughtful opinion regarding this very comparison. I'm expecting any day now to see his interview with Auralic posted here, and hopefully a review or further comments by Chris will follow soon thereafter.

I think people need to hear for themselves. No reviewer, end user, or manufacturer is truly objective. A reviewer/manufacturer would be the lowest on that totem pole.