IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

9 hours ago, Doak said:

The Aries G1 has been in my system for about 3 hours now.

I have used the Aries (Femto) for over 3 years.

IMO Mr. Wang is “sandbagging” on the G1 for whatever reason.

It’s better and substantially so in every conceivable way - and I'm referring mainly to its sound quality.  

At this point the G1 can only get better. 

I will put the original Aries back in the system eventually, but I doubt that my ears are deceiving me.  I’ve listened to/through my “old” Aries for many hundreds if not thousands of hours and it’s sound is pretty much ingrained in my  brain ?..... ?

Hello Doak,

Congrat for your new purchase and thanks for your feedback, I trust your hear and confirme my order , i must receive mine in two weeks normaly.

The improvement quality M. Wang quote in the auralic thread can let thinking that the improvement he's very poor.

Maybe the manufacturer try to minimize the improvement quality from a femto to a G1, because G2 he's better of course because (galvanic construction , and galvanic output digital ) but the price is almost 2 time the G1.

The improvement from a node 2 to the arie LE was significatif and was so happy with the sound the Arie LE give me so the G1 canno't disapoint me.

Thanks again and i look forward to read you'r impression in the long time.

3 hours ago, Doghos said:

Hello Doak,

Congrat for your new purchase and thanks for your feedback, I trust your hear and confirme my order , i must receive mine in two weeks normaly.

The improvement quality M. Wang quote in the auralic thread can let thinking that the improvement he's very poor.

Maybe the manufacturer try to minimize the improvement quality from a femto to a G1, because G2 he's better of course because (galvanic construction , and galvanic output digital ) but the price is almost 2 time the G1.

The improvement from a node 2 to the arie LE was significatif and was so happy with the sound the Arie LE give me so the G1 canno't disapoint me.

Thanks again and i look forward to read you'r impression in the long time.

Great. Go for it!

I honestly cannot imagine an owner of Aries being disappointed ? with the Aries G1. ?

I do want to add that I use a the Uptone Audio ISO Regen along with their LPS-1 power supply to treat the USB connection. This provides galvanic isolation plus regeneration/ reclocking. 

I’ve used this with my original Aries since the Regen first became available and then switched to ISO Regen when it was introduced. This improved sound of Aries G1 too!

Since, from what I gather, one of the main differences from Aries G2 to G1 is galvanic isolation maybe using these products with the G1 may make it into something closer to G2! In any case I highly recommend their use and love the sound improvements they provide. 

26 minutes ago, Doak said:

Great. Go for it!

I honestly cannot imagine an owner of Aries being disappointed ? with the Aries G1. 

I do want to add that I use a the Uptone Audio ISO Regen along with their LPS-1 power supply to treat the USB connection. This provides galvanic isolation plus regeneration/ reclocking. 

I’ve used this with my original Aries since the Regen first became available and then switched to ISO Regen when it was introduced. This improved sound of Aries G1 too!

Since, from what I gather, one of the main differences from Aries G2 to G1 is galvanic isolation maybe using these products with the G1 may make it into something closer to G2! In any case I highly recommend their use and love the sound improvements they provide. 

Yes ! i think so too, a frend invest a lot in a dedicatated PC with monster linear power supply and big optimization of Daphile (many hours) and he was very surprise to hear the quality with the Arie LE in wireless

Thanks for the information about the ISO Regen with LPS, i didn't know it, and must be a nice improvement with the original output usb.

Unfortunately I use my dac with a coaxial cable , i don't think it exist the same treatment for coaxial output.

Maybe with the G1, if i find a good usb cable, but i like a lot my coaxial cable who was make by David Magnant himself for Steeve Mc Cormack.

you can get closer to the quality of the G2 with a high quality decoupling feets like G2

1 hour ago, oldzorki said:

I am still so happy with my Auralic Femto. it does everything I need, and I will only look at new Auralic, if and when they'll implement once  promised support for room correction. 

I didn't know that they must implement the room correction !  i'm very happy too with the LE so i'm enjoy to receive the G1

1 hour ago, Doghos said:

I didn't know that they must implement the room correction !  i'm very happy too with the LE so i'm enjoy to receive the G1

There was a talk of processing convolution files (I assume on manner similar to Jriver), but unfortunately nothing was released yet. To an extent I can use Jriver streaming adjusted stream, and Aries be just a streaming node, but it defeats the purpose of "no computer solution", and also I am not thrilled with anything Jriver does with digital conversion processes.

2 hours ago, Doghos said:

I didn't know that they must implement the room correction !

for sure they're not under any obligation ?

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just received an Aries G1 from a dealer that was kind enough to lend me one for testing up against my existing Aries LE w. SwagmanLabs PSU.

I am quite surprised by the jump in sound quality!

I am going to spend a lot of time listening to all my favourite tracks to determine who big the change actually is, but so far I am sold!

My understanding is that the streamer in the Vega G2 is essentially an Aries G1, so I've opted to connect the Vega G2 to a NAS on my home network: 1GB wired connection, using FMCs.

NAS <-->Router/Switch<-->FMCs<-->Vega G2

My question is: Since I'm using a NAS, would adding an Aries G2 offer me any sonic benefits?

(Just wondering if anyone has done A/B comparisons applicable to my setup.)

Frankly, the only thing that comes to mind is perhaps the wireless connection to the Aries G2 serving to shield noise away from the DAC ... but with FMCs and galvanic isolation in the Vega G2, it seems like an Aries G2 would not add SQ value.

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

My understanding is that the streamer in the Vega G2 is essentially an Aries G1, so I've opted to connect the Vega G2 to a NAS on my home network: 1GB wired connection, using FMCs.

NAS <-->Router/Switch<-->FMCs<-->Vega G2

My question is: Since I'm using a NAS, would adding an Aries G2 offer me any sonic benefits?

(Just wondering if anyone has done A/B comparisons applicable to my setup.)

Frankly, the only thing that comes to mind is perhaps the wireless connection to the Aries G2 serving to shield noise away from the DAC ... but with FMCs and galvanic isolation in the Vega G2, it seems like an Aries G2 would not add SQ value.

Connection from Aries G2 to Vega G2 is via  the proprietary Auralic Lightning connector. According to Auralic sound quality will be substantially enhanced. 

This question has been asked and answered with explanation on the Auralic support forum here:

https://community.auralic.com/t/aries-g2-vs-vega-g2-streaming-sq/1747

1 hour ago, Doak said:

Connection from Aries G2 to Vega G2 is via  the proprietary Auralic Lightning connector. According to Auralic sound quality will be substantially enhanced. 

This question has been asked and answered with explanation on the Auralic support forum here:

https://community.auralic.com/t/aries-g2-vs-vega-g2-streaming-sq/1747

Thanks for that link!

Ummh... from what I read there, here are my takeaways:

1) Aries G2 provides convenience features (e.g., local storage, Wi-fi connection)

2) Aries G2 may take on DSP tasks from Vega G2, which presumably would minimize CPU-generated noise in Vega G2.

3) The testing done by one of the contributors on the thread did not reveal SQ benefits by adding Aries G2.

So in my case, where convenience features are irrelevant, it seems like opting-out on Aries G2 is the sensible choice. (It also seems like adding Leo GX may be a better way to improve SQ.).

As for the Lightning connection, I presume that's an improvement compared to using any other streamer to DAC connection, like USB.

8 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Thanks for that link!

Ummh... from what read there, here are my takeaways:

1) Aries G2 provide convenience features (e.g., local storage, Wi-fi connection)

2) Aries G2 may take on DSP tasks from Vega G2, and as a result presumably minimizing CPU-generated noise in Vega G2.

3) The testing done by one of the contributors on the thread did not reveal an SQ benefits by adding Aries G2.

So in my case, where convenience features are irrelevant, it seems like opting-out on Aries G2 is the sensible choice. (It also seems like adding Leo GX may be a better way to improve SQ.).

As for the Lightning connection, I presume that's an improvement compared to using any other streamer to DAC connection, like USB.

There is more to gain digging through various threads on the site pertaining to the new line.

Even with the "Lightning Link" between Aries G2 & Vega G2, it seems like the Aries G2 it's better suited (or ju$tified) as a streamer for a non-streamer DAC (via USB)... Or perhaps I'm simply talking myself out of spending the bucks on an Aries G2, and instead save my pennies for a Leo GX :-).

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW: The new 6.0 beta firmware allows up sampling and the other DSPing to be applied when in Roon mode.

Just tying out the dynamic filter vs internal filtering in my Mirus Pro.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

1 hour ago, Blade1001 said:

Why not? All upsampling happens in the Roon Core, not in the endpoint, the only limitation with the endpoint is whatever max sampling rate it can handle?

Because I'm talking about the 4 Auralic upsampling algorithms implemented in the Aries.  I wanted to hear what they sounded like and prior to the 6.0 firmware they were only available if using Lightning DS.

465460741_ScreenShot2018-11-14at5_25_55PM.thumb.png.26b07a8a797e08926165c67196c79e8c.png

As you can see from the above screen shot Roon now indicates that the upsampling is happening in the Aries G2.  I have DSPing completely disabled in Roon.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas