IGNORED

HQPlayer kick start guide & feature requests

I installed Ubuntu studio 14.04 to macbook pro and on the hqplayer, but no sound :(

Dac: Matrix x- sabre DSD Dac

I assume it appears in the HQPlayer's device selection? Volume control in HQPlayer is set to some reasonable value?

You can also run "aplay -l" to see list of audio devices, take note of the card number on that list. Then run "amixer -c <cardnumber>" and check if the DAC has volume control available. If there is, turn it up (defaults to muted). In case there's volume control, you can save the current setting as default using "sudo alsactl store".

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I assume it appears in the HQPlayer's device selection? Volume control in HQPlayer is set to some reasonable value?

You can also run "aplay -l" to see list of audio devices, take note of the card number on that list. Then run "amixer -c <cardnumber>" and check if the DAC has volume control available. If there is, turn it up (defaults to muted). In case there's volume control, you can save the current setting as default using "sudo alsactl store".

Hi Miska,

matrix x sabre dac has no volume control

These are photos . What should I do now?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/images/attach/png.gif

pic1.png

pic2.png

pic3.png

matrix x sabre dac has no volume control

These are photos . What should I do now?

It seems to have a volume control and the main output, the output is at full volume but muted (shows "[off]").

Please run "alsamixer -c1" and you can see the main volume control most likely shows "MM" at the bottom, press "M" and it becomes "00". Hitting "Esc" exits the mixer control application.

It seems to have a volume control and the main output, the output is at full volume but muted (shows "[off]").

Please run "alsamixer -c1" and you can see the main volume control most likely shows "MM" at the bottom, press "M" and it becomes "00". Hitting "Esc" exits the mixer control application.

Thanks Miska,

Hqplay now playing perfect, the sound quality better than the Mac version in my ear :)

How to install kernel and libasound2 packages for native DSD support ?

Sorry about my little Linux experience :(

After installing Jessie, the packages to install in their 64bit version (for 32bit use *_i386.deb instead of *_amd64.deb) are:

linux-image (linux-image-3.18.1naa_1_amd64.deb),

linux-headers (linux-headers-3.18.1naa_1_amd64.deb),

libasound2 (libasound2_1.0.28-1jl1_amd64.deb)

libasound2-data (libasound2-data_1.0.28-1jl1_all.deb)

They are prepared by Miska and you find them at: Index of /src/jessie

Then, you just install the latest version of networkaudiod (networkaudiod_3.0.0-22_amd64.deb) for Linux.

For both the single packages and the deamon you must give two commands: the first one to download, the second one to install it. For example:

1) sudo wget http://www.sonarnerd.net/src/jessie/...8-1jl1_all.deb

2) sudo dpkg-i libasound2-data_1.0.28-1jl1_all.deb

Bibo01 thanks a lot:)

But I'm using without naa

Same instructions apply, but you can download the necessary packages (listed by bibo01) more easily with a browser from the said location.

Then open terminal and use "sudo dpkg -i" to install all four packages at once (command can take multiple packages as input simultaneously).

Feature request: I would like to be able to upsample pcm files to higher rez pcm rates, yet still play DSD files natively (without having to switch the output from pcm to dsm)...

thanks!

Randy

This already exists if you have "SDMDirect" checked under the DSDIFF/DSF settings. By checking "SDMDirect", DSD format files are played at native rate, no processing.

Thanks, but you have to choose either pcm or sdm as output...if pcm is selected, DSD files are still converted to pcm even if 'SDMDirect' is checked...at least in my experience. I have many playlists with both DSD and pcm files and would like for each track to be played in its native format (pcm or dsd)...if I'm missing something, that would be great, but I have SDMDirect checked and the software still converts DSD files to pcm if I've selected pcm as the output...

Thanks, but you have to choose either pcm or sdm as output...if pcm is selected, DSD files are still converted to pcm even if 'SDMDirect' is checked...at least in my experience. I have many playlists with both DSD and pcm files and would like for each track to be played in its native format (pcm or dsd)...if I'm missing something, that would be great, but I have SDMDirect checked and the software still converts DSD files to pcm if I've selected pcm as the output...

You may be correct on this. The manual states:

"DirectSDM setting disables all processing when source file is DSD content and output format is SDM to a DSD-device."

It is the "and output format is SDM" statement that I was missing.

In spite of all the "hiccups," by far the best software music player out there, IMHO...

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

Already there with my iMac ...

You gotta try HQP in WS2012 with AO in Mininal Server Mode, or Core Mode ;-)

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

It would be very convenient to have a web browser interface for the NAA. Then we could access the NAA from any tablet, smart phone or computer that had a web browser. This way it would be easier to run the NAA pc with no video monitor, keyboard or mouse, making for an even quieter audio computer.

A web browser interface might also be nice to have for the HQ Player desktop. As i5 Surface Pro 3 does not have the horsepower for PCM to DSD using Polysinc filter, and the fan comes on when it's doing heavy computation, and it much heavier than an iPad, tablet control of a desktop pc running HQ Player Desktop would be nice to have

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

It would be very convenient to have a web browser interface for the NAA. Then we could access the NAA from any tablet, smart phone or computer that had a web browser. This way it would be easier to run the NAA pc with no video monitor, keyboard or mouse, making for an even quieter audio computer.

I don't understand what this would be for? NAA doesn't have any useful input or output other than through HQPlayer. For example with the CuBox-i image I provide there's nothing that can be done even if display and keyboard are connected. NAA is supposed to be a black box with ethernet input that is just powered up and that's it.

A web browser interface might also be nice to have for the HQ Player desktop. As i5 Surface Pro 3 does not have the horsepower for PCM to DSD using Polysinc filter, and the fan comes on when it's doing heavy computation, and it much heavier than an iPad, tablet control of a desktop pc running HQ Player Desktop would be nice to have

I think eventually tablets will have enough processing power. Making a web version of HQPlayer would be worth at least a man year of work and I'm not at all good with web stuff, so I don't think it is feasible at the moment.

HQPlayer Embedded addresses this tablet control part already and given it's popularity making it was already a huge waste of effort. So I'm really reluctant starting yet another big effort that people are unlikely to actually use.

I don't understand what this would be for? NAA doesn't have any useful input or output other than through HQPlayer. For example with the CuBox-i image I provide there's nothing that can be done even if display and keyboard are connected. NAA is supposed to be a black box with ethernet input that is just powered up and that's it.

I enjoy watching all of the communication messages that the NAA is sending, gives me a warm and fuzzy feel ;-). Seriously though, it is helpful for trouble shooting, knowing that the DAC's USB is talking properly with the NAA.

May be another way to way to achieve this is a web access to the OS, I will ask Phil about this

I think eventually tablets will have enough processing power. Making a web version of HQPlayer would be worth at least a man year of work and I'm not at all good with web stuff, so I don't think it is feasible at the moment.

HQPlayer Embedded addresses this tablet control part already and given it's popularity making it was already a huge waste of effort. So I'm really reluctant starting yet another big effort that people are unlikely to actually use.

Understand fully.

HQ Player is such a great audio playback software, but so many audio lovers are so convenience orientated and missing out !

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

I enjoy watching all of the communication messages that the NAA is sending, gives me a warm and fuzzy feel ;-). Seriously though, it is helpful for trouble shooting, knowing that the DAC's USB is talking properly with the NAA.

If you run networkaudiod on Linux or OS X, you can watch this over SSH connection (both have SSH servers built-in). With third-party software, you can do the same on Windows too.

But by default on Linux networkaudiod runs as a silent background service not visible at all.

I think that MANY people would appreciate a client for smartphone/tablet. So please keep considering that option because it very much in demand. Also, don't forget my proposal for external help (do you remember?).

Embedded is a totally different animal. A web interface is for users who usually are not computer experts, whereas Embedded is for developers and Linux only. Therefore it requires a very different kind of expertise.

Embedded is a totally different animal. A web interface is for users who usually are not computer experts, whereas Embedded is for developers and Linux only. Therefore it requires a very different kind of expertise.

Installing it is not so simple because Embedded is for OEM/ODM device development. But it works with BubbleUPnP (Android) and media:connect: premium (iOS) so using it doesn't require any special expertise.