IGNORED

HQPlayer kick start guide & feature requests

You can just give list of files in any order, file with .xml suffix is assumed to be a settings file.

Once the settings file name has been specified on command line, any configuration changes are also stored there.

Miska, is it possible to do similar with the settings file to hqplayerd? Suppose you want to open hqpd with different settings? I now have to rewrite hqplayerd.xml, or store different versions and rename them to hqplayerd.xml when I want to change setting. So could I open the program on commandline with lets say: 'hqplayerd hqplayerdpcm.xml' ?

I just tried out HQ player for the first time, using the Quick Start guide. Made it very easy.

I'm using poly-sinc and DSD7 to upsample everything to DSD 128. Right away I noticed that in comparison to JRiver upsampling to DSD 128, the sound of HQP with these settings is more "focused"; JRMC playback sounds a little soft and diffuse to me now in comparison.

So I like the sound.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 3 weeks later...
Mytek is working fine for me. Are you using USB or Firewire? I'm using Firewire through Apple's Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter.

Miska could I ask whether there are any drawbacks by using firewire though Apple's Thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter? Does it degrade the sound? Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
I just tried out HQ player for the first time, using the Quick Start guide. Made it very easy.

I'm using poly-sinc and DSD7 to upsample everything to DSD 128. Right away I noticed that in comparison to JRiver upsampling to DSD 128, the sound of HQP with these settings is more "focused"; JRMC playback sounds a little soft and diffuse to me now in comparison.

So I like the sound.

Last night I compared JRiver to HQP and found HQP to have superior SQ. It's just like you described, JRiver now sounds a bit soft and fuzzy. JRiver is much prettier and easier to use. But at the top of my list is SQ so I'll put up with HQP's plain face and thoroughly enjoy my music. Presently my set up is Dell XPS desktop to a Calyx 24/192 DAC by USB then on to an integrated amp via balanced XLR cables and out to Monitor Audio RX6 speakers. I'm awaiting an Audiophilleo 2 with Pure Power USB to S/PDIF converter. I can't wait to see what difference it will make in my system. I didn't expect my listening experience could get any better than with JRiver. But it just keeps getting better and better.

Miska could I ask whether there are any drawbacks by using firewire though Apple's Thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter? Does it degrade the sound? Thanks in advance!

Works very well for me with iMac + Mytek. And sounds better to me than USB. Technically it should be fine too.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 4 weeks later...

Miska, any plans to have HQP support .iso files?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Current plan is to not support ISO files...

May I ask why not Miska? We mac users are rather left out when it comes to ISO to DSF, and all the cool metadata along with it. This is no criticism at all, just plain curious.

Thank You Miska, I do plan this week to try your program to see if PCM to DSF is worthwhile.

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

May I ask why not Miska? We mac users are rather left out when it comes to ISO to DSF, and all the cool metadata along with it. This is no criticism at all, just plain curious.

There are various technical and non-technical reasons for it that I don't like to discuss in more detail. But generally ISO is not intended for computer playback but more defined for a certain obsolete physical media. And since there are nice tools for converting ISO to DSF, I recommend using those tools. Generally most DSD downloads are also DSF format, so that's the most common and recommended format , with excellent metadata support, at the moment.

If you need Windows for performing the conversions (I've never had any SACD ISO files myself so I don't know much about the subject), you could use VirtualBox, VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop to run Windows on top of Mac OS X to perform those kind of tasks.

There are various technical and non-technical reasons for it that I don't like to discuss in more detail. But generally ISO is not intended for computer playback but more defined for a certain obsolete physical media. And since there are nice tools for converting ISO to DSF, I recommend using those tools. Generally most DSD downloads are also DSF format, so that's the most common and recommended format , with excellent metadata support, at the moment.

If you need Windows for performing the conversions (I've never had any SACD ISO files myself so I don't know much about the subject), you could use VirtualBox, VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop to run Windows on top of Mac OS X to perform those kind of tasks.

Thank you Miska for the considerate response and information. Computer audio has really gotten to the point of requiring so many different programs for function, quality and ease of use...I'm also thinking Amarra/HQP/Roon/Tidal etc. Who'd thought that CA would require computer software lol Again, Thanks.

Better GUI....would be my wish. That has been discussed many times. An app to control this headless. That wish has also been discussed. Are there any new update on these front I am not aware about? Possibly.....

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Better GUI....would be my wish. That has been discussed many times. An app to control this headless. That wish has also been discussed. Are there any new update on these front I am not aware about? Possibly.....

There are two GUIs already, apart from frequently asked genre support it is not clear to me what is wrong with the current ones...

Headless version has been around for a while, it is called HQPlayer Embedded and the recommended control app for it is BubbleUPnP on Android.

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Having finally taken the dive into HQ Player Desktop (3.11) on the Mac I have a quick question.

Is there a way to control the volume of HQ Player Desktop on the Mac from a keyboard shortcut? And/or to skip to the next track by a keyboard shortcut?

(If there is a keyboard short cut that would also let me program a controller wheel like Contour ShuttleXpress to adjust the volume, change tracks etc. as I do with A+).

At the moment (when using a DAC which does not have a physical volume control) I have to adjust volume by swapping back to the HQ Player application on the screen, grabbing a mouse / trackpad, move the cursor to the volume control on the screen and turn the software volume knob on the main screen (which is quite jumpy) or drag the virtual scroller on the full screen option (which is smoother). As I frequently adjust the volume when working, the inability to easily change the volume without having to look at the screen, position the cursor etc is frustrating.

I have seen one post that the media control keys and volume keys work on the Windows and Linux versions, but they do not work with HQ Player on the Mac due to Mac specific reasons. The way around that would be for keyboard shortcuts to be included. (e.g. Command + Command - < >)

If I have missed something and this is possible now please let me know. If not, can I add it to the feature request list.

Thanks

The Audio Tragic

Main system: Mac Mini > Audiolense XO room correction (via Audirvana+ or HQPlayer) > Weiss DAC202 > Krell 302 > Revel Ultima2 Studio

Home office: QNAP NAS > Lumin D1 > Krell KAV-400xi -> Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M

Work: Mac Mini > HQP > NAA (Windows 10) >Uptone Regen > Exasound e12 > SPL Phonitor 2 > Audeze LCD-XC

Software players: Audirvana+, HQ Player, Roon, Lumin, optical internet

• 1 month later...

Hi Miska,

Very exciting to see the integration of HQP with Roon approaching release. I think it will be hugely synergistic for both products. I was most impressed with HQP SQ when I used the Windows trial. Only reason I haven't purchased is because I intend to run it on the same machine as the Roon Core, and that will eventually be their Linux RoonServer, so I am waiting for that to be released.

At the moment I understand the planned integration will see HQP handling the output distribution, which is the simplest way to do it and a logical first step. Eventually, however, I would hope to be able to control all zones in the house using Roon and be able to send an HQP processed stream to any RoonReady or RoonSpeaker device.

The Roon folk tell me that in order to do that they would need to have access to a version of HQP which exposes control surfaces but leaves I/O up to Roon. I think of this as HQP operating as a DSP module that can be implemented in an FX loop way.

I suspect that there are other applications also that would be very pleased to integrate with HQP as a DSP module while controlling I/O themselves.

So as a feature request I would like to ask for a "DSP module" version of HQP. I think HQP now has a sufficient reputation that it could open up a whole new market.

At the moment I understand the planned integration will see HQP handling the output distribution, which is the simplest way to do it and a logical first step. Eventually, however, I would hope to be able to control all zones in the house using Roon and be able to send an HQP processed stream to any RoonReady or RoonSpeaker device.

You can have similar functionality with HQPlayer using NAA enabled device such as exaSound PlayPoint, Sonore Sonic Orbiter or SOtM sMS-100.

The Roon folk tell me that in order to do that they would need to have access to a version of HQP which exposes control surfaces but leaves I/O up to Roon. I think of this as HQP operating as a DSP module that can be implemented in an FX loop way.

I suspect that there are other applications also that would be very pleased to integrate with HQP as a DSP module while controlling I/O themselves.

So as a feature request I would like to ask for a "DSP module" version of HQP. I think HQP now has a sufficient reputation that it could open up a whole new market.

Note that such approach has risk of having negative impact on the sound quality...

• 3 months later...

Thank You Miska, I do plan this week to try your program to see if PCM to DSF is worthwhile.

Chris

I use iso2dsd, it works great on Mac. It's a Java applet, but works well for what it's supposed to do. I've converted all my iso's for Roon and only use the original images for archiving.

-Mike

Just quick question: is HQplayer able to deliver a DSD 256x file to the DAC using MacMini ?

Sure, playing back DSD256 files without processing is not demanding at all. Upsampling RedBook to DSD256 takes quite a bit of processing power, but should also work on MacMini using the -2s filter variants.

Sure, playing back DSD256 files without processing is not demanding at all. Upsampling RedBook to DSD256 takes quite a bit of processing power, but should also work on MacMini using the -2s filter variants.

I've just bought the new Premium QUAD USB2 for my MSB Analog DAC. I have a Mac mini. I’ve tried to play DSD 256 (DSF or DFF files) in native mode, but nothing. Do you know how I can make it?

I've just bought the new Premium QUAD USB2 for my MSB Analog DAC. I have a Mac mini. I’ve tried to play DSD 256 (DSF or DFF files) in native mode, but nothing. Do you know how I can make it?

I don't have any MSB DACs, so I don't have any detailed information about such. But maybe someone on this forum knows more. Could be easiest to just ask MSB...

I don't have any MSB DACs, so I don't have any detailed information about such. But maybe someone on this forum knows more. Could be easiest to just ask MSB...

Make sure to have the latest firmware loaded. Also, in the Audio/Midi setup section, what driver have you selected?