IGNORED

HQPlayer kick start guide & feature requests

? So the OSX DSD256 issue has been solved? When? Other than exaSound (custom driver) and a DOP-capable DSD512 dac like iFi, I knew of no OSX DSD256 solution, but Jussi's answers seem to assume otherwise.

? So the OSX DSD256 issue has been solved? When? Other than exaSound (custom driver) and a DOP-capable DSD512 dac like iFi, I knew of no OSX DSD256 solution, but Jussi's answers seem to assume otherwise.

I think iFi recently added support for DoP DSD256 also for Nano too, and at the same time DSD512 for Micro.

Apart from that, using NAA solves the problem for the ones supported on Linux or Windows.

But when someone says "Mac Mini" it doesn't equate to "OS X" in my mind, because I have Mac Mini in my listening room, most of the time running Win8.1 with Boot Camp. Sometimes I boot it also to OS X. For me "Mac Mini" is just piece of hardware. HQPlayer can output up to DSD1024 over DoP if someone comes up with such hardware...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I think iFi recently added support for DoP DSD256 also for Nano

That's correct. They made a suprise Mac package for the firmware update as well as a driver if I understand correctly, so that we can now listen to DSD256 via DoP on the Mac.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

But when someone says "Mac Mini" it doesn't equate to "OS X" in my mind

Maybe it's just me but when I see someone post that they are using a Mac Mini I assume OSX (unless they specify Bootcamp). And these guys did not say iFi either, so I was confused why the DSD256 issue was not being addressed.

Maybe it's just me but when I see someone post that they are using a Mac Mini I assume OSX (unless they specify Bootcamp). And these guys did not say iFi either, so I was confused why the DSD256 issue was not being addressed.

Could be my mistake too, I'm just not hitting that kind of problem frequently, so I don't even remember any problem exists. Overall, it is not problem from HQPlayer's point of view. But of course the end result depends on details of the output method and hardware in use in the particular case...

I've listed feature requests for a long time for Mac OS, but they will never happen. Current system: Mac Mini 2011, 16GB RAM, 2.3 GHz i5, GigE ethernet switch from Mac to SoTM SMS100 NAA, OS now 10.10.5, HQP v. 3.13.3. Log files are enabled but inaccessible. But just for kicks, here is a summary:

1) Create log files for troubleshooting like the other cool OSes do.

2) Restore album art and other features of the full page modes. Currently the album art page of the full page mode lists gray playlists which don't play.

3) Have a means of creating a playlist based on tracks played in a session.

4) Silly terms like "Transport" are replaced with sensible ones. Reminds me of Microsoft's term "Directory." this was designed to torture the innocent. MS Directory means memory address, not "directory."

4) Load large playlists in less than 45 seconds.

5) Be able the search for a song and place it within a queue *without* changing the currently-playing song. Gosh, that must be so hard to figure out...

6) Obtain functionality on the sections called performer, artist, etc.

7) Enable search and selection functions *during* playback.

8) Enable an i5 to once again create and play DSD128 files from redbook FLACs. Recent versions of HQP quadruple thje CPU load, though closed-form will play, FWIW.

Mac OS is terrible for music, but other software avoids the above problems. If I can return some functionality to HQP then I'll look at adding Roon.

HQP is the best DSP playback engine on the consumer market (perhaps not counting Phasure-specific code). I hope it becomes useful again for Macs. I'm really thinking of getting a CAPS with an nVidia CUDA-capable card because Jussi's model for external processing is clearly superior to other architectures.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

I need a Windows PC to work only with HQPlayer upsampling to DSD512. The transport is SonicTransporter with Roon Server and I have micro Rendu.

The two PC will be in a different room of the house than my system, as microRendu allows me to use Ethernet.

I am planning to build an I7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4, 1000W PS, SSD 240Gb, HD 2Tb, Windows 10 Home.

I don't think I need fanless, as the computer will be far from the system. Do I?

Will this machine run HQPlayer up sampling ? My MacBook Pro can barely handle DSD128 with the better filters of HQPlayer.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

• 4 weeks later...

Trialing HQPlayer now with microRendu as NAA with PCM material, combined with 512gb Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC card as local media storage source, its proving very clean and detailed. But two features I'm used to with DLNA streaming solutions I'm struggling to find equivalents to in HQPlayer support.

1) incremental library updates... added 4 new flac albums last night to local library and HQPlayer is not reporting them? Does HQPlayer not monitor library directories for new content? This is critical for large libraries where a complete refresh is time consuming. No like issue with Foobar2000.

2) remote control, how to do when the library is a local drive directory on HQPlayer machine feeding NAA on microRendu? I've moved away from DLNA media server apps as degrading transient detail response. Ditto for Roon. Is there an iPhone or iPad app that will allow me to remote control HQplayer and its local media library feeding microRendu NAA?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Trialing HQPlayer now with microRendu as NAA with PCM material, combined with 512gb Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC card as local media storage source, its proving very clean and detailed. But two features I'm used to with DLNA streaming solutions I'm struggling to find equivalents to in HQPlayer support.

1) incremental library updates... added 4 new flac albums last night to local library and HQPlayer is not reporting them? Does HQPlayer not monitor library directories for new content? This is critical for large libraries where a complete refresh is time consuming. No like issue with Foobar2000.

2) remote control, how to do when the library is a local drive directory on HQPlayer machine feeding NAA on microRendu? I've moved away from DLNA media server apps as degrading transient detail response. Ditto for Roon. Is there an iPhone or iPad app that will allow me to remote control HQplayer and its local media library feeding microRendu NAA?

Coming from Minimserver and BubbleUPnP I had the same questions as you. If you are bit adventurous you can try HQP embedded on Linux and use BubbleUPnP serving music to HQP as a renderer. I am lazy and decided to (over) pay for convenience and use Roon as my server. I am curious, about your comment Roon and transients. So you did try Roon serving music to HQP and you did not like the sound?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Coming from Minimserver and BubbleUPnP I had the same questions as you. If you are bit adventurous you can try HQP embedded on Linux and use BubbleUPnP serving music to HQP as a renderer. I am lazy and decided to (over) pay for convenience and use Roon as my server. I am curious, about your comment Roon and transients. So you did try Roon serving music to HQP and you did not like the sound?

Roon serving music to HQP was basically a step back from the transient clarity I can hear with HQP direct/mRendu/ SDXC card drive. It's pretty but like JRiver it seems to exact a CPU price that isn't helpful for no holds barred best audio... percussion sounds get smeared/lost with 16 bit music that are clearly articulated when HQPlayer is used directly. I am stuck using Sine headphones at the moment which may be exacting greater scrutiny than my main system will bring to bear.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

No, there's no monitor, as there's no single location for the media source either. HQPlayer can build aggregate view of content from any number of different source locations. Just use "Add tree" button in Library dialog to rescan the tree, or subtree where the new content is. It won't add duplicates, it'll just add new things it finds that are missing from the library.

Remote desktop apps... Or alternatively Roon or Muso as control front-ends.

No, there's no monitor, as there's no single location for the media source either. HQPlayer can build aggregate view of content from any number of different source locations. Just use "Add tree" button in Library dialog to rescan the tree, or subtree where the new content is. It won't add duplicates, it'll just add new things it finds that are missing from the library.

Thanks, that worked, maybe 30 seconds to refresh. As a suggestion, please consider changing the "Add tree" label to "add tree/rescan tree" as a breadcrumb to hopefully avoid repeat questions from other new users?

Remote desktop apps... Or alternatively Roon or Muso as control front-ends.

hmm, missed that Roon allows you to install as server only and remote control. Trying that now, hopefully Roon server mode only will make a CPU difference vs full desktop app

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Thanks, that worked, maybe 30 seconds to refresh. As a suggestion, please consider changing the "Add tree" label to "add tree/rescan tree" as a breadcrumb to hopefully avoid repeat questions from other new users?

hmm, missed that Roon allows you to install as server only and remote control. Trying that now, hopefully Roon server mode only will make a CPU difference vs full desktop app

No improvement using Roonserver vs full install of Roon... soggy transients using Roon vs crisp using HQPlayer directly. I guess what I'd like to find is an HQPlayer remote app equivalent of JRemote so that nothing adds veils to what HQPlayer can do.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I'm trying HQP now with my Merging NADAC mch, and Win10. I downloaded Geoff's Quick Start guide, but didn't see any place that selects the DAC in the new version of HQP. Is anyone using the NADAC with HQP. It isn't listed in the HQP list of DACs. If so, could you PM me the settings you are using.

Thanks, Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

• 2 months later...

Hi Miska, a few minor things/nice to have using version 3.14:

1. Volume control has no numerical values to indicate minimum, maximum or current value. Also in the manual it says setting minimum and maximum to 0 disables the volume control. Should this be -3 taking on board your comments about clipping?
  2. 64 bit installation causes an AppCrash when HQPlayer is started on my AMD CPU (after loading splash screen, no GUI). Details are in Event Log, but an error message would have been better. Probably because CPU does not support for SSE4.2 instructions (version 3.14 requires this). Where is log file?
  3. Could have the application version and 32/64 bit in the title to help troubleshooting from screenshots? Also reminds users what they installed ;)
  4. I got no output upsampling RBCD to 784KHz caused by sample rate higher than supported by driver/DAC. Could an error message be shown to help the user? HQPlayer seems to know nothing is happening as the progress bar doesn't move.
  5. I got an error message once when changing from PCM to DSD output "Error: Access Violation at 0x004F14B3 (tried to read from 0x00000010), program terminated. LastCP is 'RF'."

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

Hi Miska, a few minor things/nice to have using version 3.14:

1. Volume control has no numerical values to indicate minimum, maximum or current value. Also in the manual it says setting minimum and maximum to 0 disables the volume control. Should this be -3 taking on board your comments about clipping?
  2. 64 bit installation causes an AppCrash when HQPlayer is started on my AMD CPU (after loading splash screen, no GUI). Details are in Event Log, but an error message would have been better. Probably because CPU does not support for SSE4.2 instructions (version 3.14 requires this). Where is log file?
  3. Could have the application version and 32/64 bit in the title to help troubleshooting from screenshots? Also reminds users what they installed ;)
  4. I got no output upsampling RBCD to 784KHz caused by sample rate higher than supported by driver/DAC. Could an error message be shown to help the user? HQPlayer seems to know nothing is happening as the progress bar doesn't move.
  5. I got an error message once when changing from PCM to DSD output "Error: Access Violation at 0x004F14B3 (tried to read from 0x00000010), program terminated. LastCP is 'RF'."

1) By clicking on the dot inside the volume knob, for a few seconds you get the current value on the bottom left of the window.