IGNORED

Article: SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server Review

These units use an operating system called Sonic Obiter and not Vortexbox. Andrew and I developed the system and licensed it to SOtM. We also provided SOtM the main boards because the OS is CPU specific....

Jesus R

Isn't the code based on the VAMP 0.6 image that Andrew released over at Vortexbox? Also, I see that the hw you guys provided is a Pogoplug E02. I wonder where you guys find so many E02 as a few friends of mine are looking for E02 and is pretty hard to find now unless you pay a hefty price on eBay. My friend has the sMS100, the code certainly works on my E02.

Isn't the code based on the VAMP 0.6 image that Andrew released over at Vortexbox? Also, I see that the hw you guys provided is a Pogoplug E02. I wonder where you guys find so many E02 as a few friends of mine are looking for E02 and is pretty hard to find now unless you pay a hefty price on eBay. My friend has the sMS100, the code certainly works on my E02.

The VAMP was a test bed to gauge approval for the project. However, the systems are not the same. The SOtM Mini Server has a lot more features compared to the VAMP and is running a newer kernel as an example. The SOTM Mini Server is also a fully supported platform with updates planned such as release 1.3 that is coming out soon. There is only one board from the PogoPlug series that will work so be careful if you find then for sale on eBay....

Jesus R

Hello, I just bought a SMS100 with battery to stream music on a Synology NAS to a Oppo HA-1 headphone amplifier.

i like a lot LMS but there is a lot of limitation (lms7.8 installed with ssods on my NAS) : bug with aiff native higher than 24b/96, no DSD files, etc...LMS 7.9 should help me to solve all the issues but I did not succeed in installing it on my NAS. The iPad interface with iPeng is great.

The installed dlna on the Synology is very simple so no interest.

i don't want to use jriver as I should need a PC to run it with the server.

minimserver should be great : no problem with all the formats, efficient, read DSD,...the only issue should be around the iPad app as 99% are crap (audionet, etc...) and not sure they are hapless compliant.

So I was thinking about mpd but I'm not sure I understood everything. I though I should be able to install This server on my NAS and stream the music to the SMS100. MPad is excellent. So do you think this configuration should work ?

my biggest issue is that in the application switcher in sotm web interface I don't see MPD, so would only a vortexbox work or mpd on the Synology should be ok ?

thanks for your support

Hello, I just bought a SMS100 with battery to stream music on a Synology NAS to a Oppo HA-1 headphone amplifier.

i like a lot LMS but there is a lot of limitation (lms7.8 installed with ssods on my NAS) : bug with aiff native higher than 24b/96, no DSD files, etc...LMS 7.9 should help me to solve all the issues but I did not succeed in installing it on my NAS. The iPad interface with iPeng is great.

The installed dlna on the Synology is very simple so no interest.

i don't want to use jriver as I should need a PC to run it with the server.

minimserver should be great : no problem with all the formats, efficient, read DSD,...the only issue should be around the iPad app as 99% are crap (audionet, etc...) and not sure they are hapless compliant.

So I was thinking about mpd but I'm not sure I understood everything. I though I should be able to install This server on my NAS and stream the music to the SMS100. MPad is excellent. So do you think this configuration should work ?

my biggest issue is that in the application switcher in sotm web interface I don't see MPD, so would only a vortexbox work or mpd on the Synology should be ok ?

thanks for your support

I don't recommending hacker versions of software be installed on a Synology NAS....it's just to risky and results vary. I do recommend MinimServer and AudioNet alone or as a combo. To imply Audionet is "crap" is misleading and nonsense. It's your opinion, but I disagree. When you select DLNA/MPD the APP switcher starts both the applications. DLNA works with compatible UPNP/DLNA servers and controllers and MPD works with a Vortexbox on the network. Some of the features in the up coming 1.3 release may be of interest to you. I'll be announcing the 1.3 release features soon....

Jesus R

Hello, concerning audionet, you are fully right it's my own opinion and I maintain it ! Have you already used iPeng, LUMIN application, or mPaD ? If yes I think you can understand that most of the dlna applications are far away in terms of user experience than the ones I mentioned.

I don't understand why you say that installing mpd is a hacking version ! It's just installing mpd in a Linux box..by the way it is your opinion :-)

So from what I understand MPD is only compatible with a vortexbox.

i expect the 1.3 with a lot of interest if it brings more opportunities. This SOTM is really interesting and I appreciate a lot the way you can make it evolutate.

when this 1.3 should be out ?

Ludovic

Hello, concerning audionet, you are fully right it's my own opinion and I maintain it ! Have you already used iPeng, LUMIN application, or mPaD ? If yes I think you can understand that most of the dlna applications are far away in terms of user experience than the ones I mentioned.

I don't understand why you say that installing mpd is a hacking version ! It's just installing mpd in a Linux box..by the way it is your opinion :-)

So from what I understand MPD is only compatible with a vortexbox.

i expect the 1.3 with a lot of interest if it brings more opportunities. This SOTM is really interesting and I appreciate a lot the way you can make it evolutate.

when this 1.3 should be out ?

Ludovic

The iPeng app works with unit in SqueezeLite mode. The Lumin app is primarily intended to work with Lumin products so you need to ask them about allowing it to control other hardware. The MPaD app works with the unit in DLNA/MPD mode. They each have good and bad traits....

Jesus R

Thanks for your feedback.

Concernig mPaD, it is like for squeezelite/LMS, mpd,need to be installed,somewhere !

To be honest if I'm succeeding in making work LMs7.9 on my Synology I would keep it ! Concerning SMS 100 and squeezelite, the v1.2 embed squeezelite v1.5 (https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/source/browse/ChangeLog.txt?spec=svn388794fab1d3ee00d126fa5e397729b3057ec27c&r=388794fab1d3ee00d126fa5e397729b3057ec27c) which support dop and dxf playback (if LMS is compatible which is the case since LMs7.9).

The latest stable squeezelite is v1.6x : do you plan to integrate it in v1.3 of SMS ?

Did you try dxf/dop with the right LMS and squeezelite v1.5 (DDSD built in option) ?

Patatorz

Thanks for your feedback.

Concernig mPaD, it is like for squeezelite/LMS, mpd,need to be installed,somewhere !

To be honest if I'm succeeding in making work LMs7.9 on my Synology I would keep it ! Concerning SMS 100 and squeezelite, the v1.2 embed squeezelite v1.5 (https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/source/browse/ChangeLog.txt?spec=svn388794fab1d3ee00d126fa5e397729b3057ec27c&r=388794fab1d3ee00d126fa5e397729b3057ec27c) which support dop and dxf playback (if LMS is compatible which is the case since LMs7.9).

The latest stable squeezelite is v1.6x : do you plan to integrate it in v1.3 of SMS ?

Did you try dxf/dop with the right LMS and squeezelite v1.5 (DDSD built in option) ?

Patatorz

The import thing is not the version number of these apps, but rather that they meet our design goals and prove stable for our customers. Generally, we update to the latest stable version of the apps as needed during these releases. All the recent releases have been tested for DSD/DoP playback with Vortexbox 2.3 and the combination works great. I also have a DSD capable version of LMS for Mac available on my website.

Jesus R

I just received my SMS-100 and I love it. It just works. I have been a longtime LMS user and really love my Squeezebox Touches. However, I have been looking for a replacement that handles DSD and seeing how Jesus has a Mac version of LMS that does DSD(I use a Mac as my server), the SMS-100 seemed a natural fit.

I have only had it a couple of days and it is all I hoped it would be. I use it along with a Teac UD-501 DAC and the iPeng 7 control app. For you Squeezebox users it is highly recommended.

I just received my SMS-100 and I love it. It just works. I have been a longtime LMS user and really love my Squeezebox Touches. However, I have been looking for a replacement that handles DSD and seeing how Jesus has a Mac version of LMS that does DSD(I use a Mac as my server), the SMS-100 seemed a natural fit.

I have only had it a couple of days and it is all I hoped it would be. I use it along with a Teac UD-501 DAC and the iPeng 7 control app. For you Squeezebox users it is highly recommended.

That's cool. It is a really nice piece--and at an amazing price! Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting review. I note that the manufacturer refers to this as a "network player." That seems right. Could we please stop calling all networked audio devices "servers"? It's bad usage, and it perpetuates confusion about networked audio. The server is the box that has the audio files and sends them over the network. This thing can reasonably be called a client, a receiver, a player, or a renderer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client%E2%80%93server_model

Thanks for considering it!

Hello Mike48, I don't have difficulties with all the terms you mentioned as far as the manufacturer really explain what the device is able to do. With the latest v1.3 of the SOtM sms100, this device embed a version of LMS which is able to map to files on a hard drive or a NAS : in this case how would you name the SMS 100 ?

This is an interesting review. I note that the manufacturer refers to this as a "network player." That seems right. Could we please stop calling all networked audio devices "servers"? It's bad usage, and it perpetuates confusion about networked audio. The server is the box that has the audio files and sends them over the network. This thing can reasonably be called a client, a receiver, a player, or a renderer.

Agree with you Mike and the contradiction is apparent in the review itself when it reads "The SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server isn't a complete end-to-end solution. It's simply an end point or renderer that requires a server and remote control app"

I wonder if its considerer a server because of storing it's how database of metadata locally, but agree that since the storage is elsewere in the network, should not be considered a server at all..

Agree with you Mike and the contradiction is apparent in the review itself when it reads "The SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server isn't a complete end-to-end solution. It's simply an end point or renderer that requires a server and remote control app"

I wonder if its considerer a server because of storing it's how database of metadata locally, but agree that since the storage is elsewere in the network, should not be considered a server at all..

Is a Ford Mustang a horse? This is the SOtM Mini Server and it's model number is sMS-100. The unit has several output modes and features that each independently can be described to perform a function such as player, decoder, renderer, streamer, server, host, etc. Personally, I really like the nick name that the French forum gave it...petite merveille.

Jesus R

Hi Mike - I agree with you for the most part. The way I used the device it should be called the Renderer. However, there are many uses, one of which could be a server. I can't control what manufacturers name products, but it has a bit to do with marketing. Potential customers may have no clue what a renderer is and have at least some idea about servers.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hello Mike48, I don't have difficulties with all the terms you mentioned as far as the manufacturer really explain what the device is able to do. With the latest v1.3 of the SOtM sms100, this device embed a version of LMS which is able to map to files on a hard drive or a NAS : in this case how would you name the SMS 100 ?

I'd call it a really great device. As to terminology, I think I'd still consider it basically a network player (or receiver or client or renderer), with some server features.