IGNORED

Article: SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server Review

Laugh while you can, multichanneler of Blighty!

Just remember, 2 >> 5.1*

*by homeopathic calculation

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

LOL.. I am extremely tempted to get one of these little SOTM boxes to play with.. extremely tempted... the penny has dropped..

Can you share your knowledge and take a look at my Q/ on the HQPlayer NAA thread?

That would be awesome :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Wonderful! I'm a total novice on this streaming stuff, so won't be of much help. But both of your questions on this thread,

HQPlayer's NAA

" There have been some clear developments in recent months..

Fact one. I find one can experiment with HQ Player NAA simply by purchasing the Mini Server from SOTM (see recent CA review)

Fact two. Miska has an "embedded" HQPlayer that will play files from an UPnP server like MinimServer..

Fact tree. You can get this embedded HQplayer running on something like a Cubox-i? Or a Raspberry pi?? Correct.>?.this bit I'm a bit unsure off...

Does this mean there is now an easy way of streaming *all* files (outputted as DSD) from HQplayer to the Simple little SOTM Mini Server and then into DSD DAC's like my E28 and Res. Invicta as pure DSD the whole way?.. "

...appear to have the answer "yes" as I see it. As soon as I get HQPlayer running I'll report.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Hi Chris,

Is there a 5th reason for "Why the Need"...better audio quality due to lower electrical noise?

Although based on your findings it looks like the USB output of the SMS-100 is not optimal and actually noisy.

By the way, the Berkeley uses the 5V of the USB and is benefited by sticking an IFI iUSB (preferably with LPSU) in front. Something to try...

Artfully dodged in a few threads, but I will ask anyway. From a purely audio / low noise floor / low fatigue perspective, do you prefer your CAPS through the Alpha SPDIF converter to your DAC, or with the renderer in between?

Cheers

Is this thing completely silent with NO fan? It's just there is that open grill structure in the front of the thing....

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

And last but not least.. what's the firmware upgrade path/plan for this little box? Download from the net? Edit. Checked the manual.. yep that's it. Cool :)

Blast Wap, you beat me to it. (PS No fans, those are just holes)

Re updates....I was about to give the *correct* answer:

Command line! BWAHAHAHAHAHA.......

^ LOL Sam.. rock that baby man.. rock the SOAB.. hahahaha I sooo much can't wait to find out how you get on!!!!

A cheaper alternative to the SOtM battery supply is a laptop power bank, I've been using a 23000mah one for the last couple of days and it works nicely. Mine has selectable DC output voltage (9, 12, 16 and 19V, I use 9V with the mini server) and the battery seems to last forever.

Before I was using a linear PSU, connected to a balanced transformer: I know it seems crazy (I don't understand myself why) but the battery powered mini server sounds different, very relaxed and even a bit distant, less exciting, but ears get used to the new sound soon and when I swtiched back to the linear PSU everything was 'in your face' and harsh.

Massimiliano

Folks, should we move the discussion over here?

miniserver-sms-100-announced

I think more people will see our posts this way, they show up more readily than review responses. So I'm gonna mosey over there--finally got the beast running with first-time for JRMC and an Oppo 105D too, plus I cleaned the fridge (no) but an effing long day!

Thanks for the review. I would love to see the technical details follow up.

I.e. no graphics chip, limited hardware mobo, SoTM usb card, small power fluctuations, minimal background processes, option for external LPSU, etc.?

Could this be the audio server answer in a 2 server (control and audio output) setup? Can the control server be either Mac or Win based?

Cheers

This is a very simple motherboard with a low profile Linux operating system running on it. The APP Selector switches between the output modes so only the APP you want runs at any given time. You can control it from a Mac, PC or mobile device. You can have more than one unit on the network. I would just rename each output different. For example DLNA1, DLNA2 and so on.

Jesus R

I'm beginning to wonder if replacing one computer with another one makes any difference?

The intent here is not to replace your computer, but rather to free it up. These are meant to work in combination with your existing computer. Also, the SotM mini server is preconfigured so there is nothing messy for you to deal with....

Jesus R

What a superb review Chris. The time taken and detail show you really "get this" streaming stuff!!!

And so does Sonore. Clearly. Because they have had this, and the Rendu out there for months...if not years..

Chris I have a couple of Q's..

1/ You said you couldn't stop this product from working (power disconnects etc) Can you see say 4 of these all networked and joined together fully functional in a multiroom setup (like say Sonos)

2/ Do you think the Mini Server will work with *every* USB connection/DAC come what may (or does it have driver compatibility issues rumoured to be in the Aires)

3/ Why do you think Sonore doesn't release a version with SPDIF out to compete with the Aires? Or could this be coming as well?

Cheers

Wap

The multiroom question is possible, but beyond the scope of this review. The SOtM mini server is compatible with UAC 2.0 compliant devices in addition to Chord, Mytek, and M2Tech hiFace versions 1 and 2 out of the box. SOtM makes a very nice matching USB to SPDIF/AES-EBU/Optical converter and no need to add it here.

Jesus R

Hi,

You wrote : " In addition to receiving the sMS-100 I received the SOtM mBPS-d2s battery supply... The sound quality was quite a bit better...This was a very positive improvement. But, sound quality wasn't as good as it would get with the sMS-100."

Sorry but I don't get it well, last sentence especially, could you please clarify if SQ was better with or without the battery power supply ?

Thanks,

j

This is going to depend on your USB device. Some devices will need the power supply upgrade option and some will not. You can email be about your device and I can help you decide if a upgrade power supply would improve things for you.

Jesus R

Schiit Audio will launch the Wyrd which clean up noise and stablize the DC of USB soon. Price low and worth considering.

Five new pieces of Schiit drop at T.H.E. Newport Beach 2014 | Digital Audio Review by John Darko

Cool and thanks for sharing this...

Jesus R

Out of curiousity Chris, did you try the sMS 100 with two USB DACs attached? If so, can you pick one, or does it automatically switch or something?

Does anyone know if you can hack(DIY) i2s out of this? I'd buy one in a heartbeat if so... Are there any photos of the interior?

The software on this unit is setup for one output at a time. I can unofficially change the configuration file, but I prefer that we leave it as is. I know what your trying to do with i2s, but let's just say no for now.

Jesus R

That's a good point, this focuses on the level of computing/processing that needs to get the job done. Is a small renderer better than a full computer, not necessarily. Let's put aside more processing = more noise for now.

The sMS-100's sound quality is as good as the power supply that feeds it, so there is a limitation that requires work and thought. The battery supply is one solution, independent PSU could/would make a lot of difference as well. As to how much, it's subjective, but if you do have a good PSU (JS-2, Pardo, Hynes), then its use would be mandatory with the sMS-100 or similar.

Inside the sMS-100 is a computer, obviously scaled down from your regular Mac Mini/CAPS designs, but the computer as a music server is, still, inherent in its design, uses less connections and more importantly less reliance on external power supplies to get to the DAC where quality is critical, that is out of the USB port. In a typical scenario using an Ethernet Renderer:

NAS + PSU (Maybe int or ext) -> Switch/Router -> Ethernet -> Renderer + Ext. PSU -> USB A to USB B Cable -> DAC (Add a computer to manage the files anyway)

Compared with

DAS + Ext. PSU -> USB/FW/TB cable -> Computer -> USB A to USB B Cable -> DAC or

NAS + PSU (Maybe int or ext) -> Switch/Router -> Ethernet -> Computer -> USB A to USB B Cable -> DAC

The big IF is that the DAC you use couldn't care less about noise from the source, since it takes corrective action internally, then the choice of using a renderer is dependent on the install (long cabling). If the DAC doesn't, in fact uses the 5V from the computer, then it would be wise to use the least amount of devices in front of the DAC as possible.

All these PSUs in the chain, complicate AC ground loops and stray noise conductive paths, less of them and the wall warts, the better.

I must be in the camp where I can't see the use of a renderer, where a 'classic' Computer/USB/DAC works consistently and with repeatable SQ expectations.

I'll add this...when I was making music servers even our best unit sounded better with a better power supply. The same is to be expected here.

Jesus R

Yes, and low activity on the processor module and lack of storage interface interference are in the plus column for a small "renderer."

Such a device is also an opportunity to develop a high-quality, isolated USB output to feed the DAC with. Though I have no knowledge of the extent to which SOtM focused on that, given their popular PCIe USB card I doubt they overlooked it.

I'm not a big fan of DLNA, LMS, etc. (though I respect those who are). But I would be very interested in trying the sMS-100 as an NAA for Miska's (Signalyst) HQPlayer.

The NAA output is very cool and Jussi put a lot of effort into it...well worth the try!

Jesus R

Hi Chris,

Is there a 5th reason for "Why the Need"...better audio quality due to lower electrical noise?

Although based on your findings it looks like the USB output of the SMS-100 is not optimal and actually noisy.

By the way, the Berkeley uses the 5V of the USB and is benefited by sticking an IFI iUSB (preferably with LPSU) in front. Something to try...

Artfully dodged in a few threads, but I will ask anyway. From a purely audio / low noise floor / low fatigue perspective, do you prefer your CAPS through the Alpha SPDIF converter to your DAC, or with the renderer in between?

Cheers

The most popular CAPS units have hard drive power filters, improved power supply option and the SOtM USB card. This adds significant cost to those builds. SOtM mini server does not have a spinning drive so a hard drive power filter is not needed. You have the option to upgrade the power supply, but the intent is not to make you pay for it...if you do not need or want one. This SOtM 100 series doesn't have the SOtM USB card, but the SOtM 1000 series does along with other considerations.

Jesus R

A cheaper alternative to the SOtM battery supply is a laptop power bank, I've been using a 23000mah one for the last couple of days and it works nicely. Mine has selectable DC output voltage (9, 12, 16 and 19V, I use 9V with the mini server) and the battery seems to last forever.

Before I was using a linear PSU, connected to a balanced transformer: I know it seems crazy (I don't understand myself why) but the battery powered mini server sounds different, very relaxed and even a bit distant, less exciting, but ears get used to the new sound soon and when I swtiched back to the linear PSU everything was 'in your face' and harsh.

Nice idea, but make sure everything is within specifications.

Jesus R