IGNORED

Article: SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server Review

"The NAA output is very cool and Jussi put a lot of effort into it...well worth the try!

Jesus R"

Hi Jesus,

My question is, if I'm running a Linux application on a Zuma server (presumably, because it's Linux, there's a lower draw on the Zuma's resources), into a Berkeley Alpha USB converter, will even the best NAA improve the sound much or at all?

I realize, you can't just pop over with your device and know what my system will sound like, but in concept, what do you think?

And if the question has too many variables to offer a reasonable answer, I certainly understand.

Thanks,

Joel

Is it possible to upgrade this thing by adding SoTM's audiophile grade USB out?

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

"The NAA output is very cool and Jussi put a lot of effort into it...well worth the try!

Jesus R"

Hi Jesus,

My question is, if I'm running a Linux application on a Zuma server (presumably, because it's Linux, there's a lower draw on the Zuma's resources), into a Berkeley Alpha USB converter, will even the best NAA improve the sound much or at all?

I realize, you can't just pop over with your device and know what my system will sound like, but in concept, what do you think?

And if the question has too many variables to offer a reasonable answer, I certainly understand.

Thanks,

Joel

The improvement comes from the combination of HQ Player and NAA. So you run the power hungry process on a complex device and output via the lower power / simple device...

Jesus R

Thanks for the review Chris. I've been reading about the Auralic Aries but hadn't heard about this device. However, I'm disappointed to hear that when paired with the Ayre QB9 it only produced good sound. The QB9 is my primary DAC and I'm wondering why the results weren't better. Any thoughts on that? You mention that the QB9 is a completely isolated DAC. Can you explain what you mean by that?

Thanks Jesus.

So can I assume if the process on the server is not power hungry, the NAA would not offer much of a sonic benefit?

Joel

I'm not sure what your doing, but HQ Player's sophisticated algorithms are going to need some power under the hood.

Jesus R

Thanks for the review Chris. I've been reading about the Auralic Aries but hadn't heard about this device. However, I'm disappointed to hear that when paired with the Ayre QB9 it only produced good sound. The QB9 is my primary DAC and I'm wondering why the results weren't better. Any thoughts on that? You mention that the QB9 is a completely isolated DAC. Can you explain what you mean by that?

I think there is a misunderstanding. Here is what he said,

"The sound quality of music played through the SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server had three distinct levels, good, better, and great. But, not all levels were present while connected to all DACs. For example, when connected to a completely isolated USB audio device such as the Alpha USB or Ayre Acoustics QB-9 the sMS-100 was only capable of great sound. The other levels of sound quality were present with unisolated devices, and depended on use of the SOtM mBPS-d2s Intelligent Battery Power Supply ($399)."

Jesus R

I'm not sure what your doing, but HQ Player's sophisticated algorithms are going to need some power under the hood.

Jesus R

Hi Jesus,

I've been playing with Daphile, a 300MB install using no upsampling or other additional digital processing.

Can I assume, based on your previous statements, that you believe an NAA would not add any sonic benefits to my situation?

Thanks,

Joel

With the Ayre the SMS-100 is only capable of great sound. This means the lower two levels of sound quality don't come into play due to the QB-9's great isolation.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

With the Ayre the SMS-100 is only capable of great sound. This means the lower two levels of sound quality don't come into play due to the QB-9's great isolation.

He and I (briefly) read "only" as meaning "merely" or "disappointingly" as opposed to "no other than" which is a point within "never less than." Symantext...

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

If it takes async USB, yes. Mine fixed me an omelet this morning.

Not, but my system is breathtaking now, no shit.

Git one.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Chris,

I also had a great experience with a friends QB-9 and a mac as a source...this makes me wonder...besides the Ayre which other dacs in the market achieve a similar level of isolation, from your experience..

If it takes async USB, yes. Mine fixed me an omelet this morning.

Not, but my system is breathtaking now, no shit.

Git one.

It takes async USB but not all USB streamers work with it. For instance the Mac Mini works, but the Squeezebox Touch doesn't.

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Thank you Jesus!

The software on this unit is setup for one output at a time. I can unofficially change the configuration file, but I prefer that we leave it as is. I know what your trying to do with i2s, but let's just say no for now.

Jesus R

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

A cheaper alternative to the SOtM battery supply is a laptop power bank, I've been using a 23000mah one for the last couple of days and it works nicely. Mine has selectable DC output voltage (9, 12, 16 and 19V, I use 9V with the mini server) and the battery seems to last forever.

Before I was using a linear PSU, connected to a balanced transformer: I know it seems crazy (I don't understand myself why) but the battery powered mini server sounds different, very relaxed and even a bit distant, less exciting, but ears get used to the new sound soon and when I swtiched back to the linear PSU everything was 'in your face' and harsh.

I found a 9V linear power supply off eBay for around $65 landed. It sounds wonderful. Better than the wall wart. I wanted to try an RC style 9V battery but couldn't find an adapter from the square plug of the battery charger to the round plug of the SMS-100.

The main reason I'm using a battery is exactly the noise coming from the transformer in the linear PSU: I'm sitting close to the system (I use STAX earspeakers) and the 'hummmm' was audible.

I'm using a Ayre QB-9 DSD, so according to Chris review there shouldn't be any improvement using a battery, but in my case is different: removing the linear PSU has lowered the noise floor in my room, and I also moved the balanced transformer I was using to the DAC (before it was sitting between the mini server PSU and the wall socket)...double win!

Massimiliano