IGNORED

HQ Player

5 hours ago, Miska said:

从技术上讲,是的,这是可能的。但每个案例都有一组极端案例。就像您下次打开时一样,多显示器设置是否会打开所有显示器?如果显示分辨率与上次相比发生了变化,现在最后一个窗口位置位于桌面外部,大于桌面,该怎么办?或者在另一台不再存在的显示器上。服务器窗口有一些这样的规则集。

我们正在处理的一些操作系统在桌面环境本身(macOS 和 Linux)中集成了类似的功能。我们想在多大程度上覆盖这些?还是我们应该让操作系统/桌面环境来决定窗口的出现位置?

如果我们规定大小,我们也应该规定位置,这样右下角就不会在屏幕之外。(通常窗口位置为左上角)

What I mean is to keep the custom window size instead of changing the default window size. For users with multiple monitors, they can keep the default size without adjusting the window, and the developer provides switches to turn on or off the fixed custom window size. I believe that the multi-display PC user group is still a minority, on the contrary, single-display PC users account for the majority, often is a function on or off can solve a lot of user concerns. There is no need to consider whether there will be too many features to confuse the user or increase the PC performance impact, some necessary features still need to have. Now the hardware performance of the win system PC is getting higher and higher, and the display has entered the era of large screen. As there are more and more music albums on the hard disk, a larger window is needed to display more albums to bring users better experience and visual enjoyment. I like the album album function of Client very much. The pure album album display is very smooth and much better than ROON, especially for the local music library. I never think ROON is very good, but from these small improvements of Client, I like it even more! The large window is not only friendly to the local library, but I believe the streaming interface will also be a good experience, because more albums are displayed, thus reducing the number of scrolling up and down.

It is often the user's own manual adjustment of the HQ Client window size is most suitable for the user's own screen, the system has decided that it is not very suitable for the large hard disk and streaming media era, the window is small, you need to scroll up and down many times to find the album you want to listen to!

In addition to displaying more albums, the large window can also display more tracks in the playback interface (for some multi-disc selected albums and concert albums), including the Genre list can be at a glance, reducing the number of scrolling up and down the interface, and quickly locate the album location that users want. What I am talking about is providing a function for the user to choose whether to turn on a fixed user custom window size, which is adjusted by the user according to the user's display size, not determined by the system.

HQC2.thumb.jpg.c2a59131d9c72160fe077051037a2939.jpg

Will a dongle tied to a HQ Player 4 key work on a machine with HQ Player 5.  I have a machine with a usb dongle that was created under HQ Player OS embedded 4.  If I have a machine with HQ Player 5 embedded installed, will the dongle still work?

3 hours ago, steveoat said:

Will a dongle tied to a HQ Player 4 key work on a machine with HQ Player 5. 

v4 and v5 are separate licenses, so you need to purchase v5 license to be able to use it. Depending on date of v4 purchase you will get some upgrade discount. Just fill the form and you will see your price. https://signalyst.com/webshop/

Since I am HQPlayer Desktop user I am not familiar with dongle pairing to a HQPlayer Embedded license. I don't know if your dongle can be reused for v5.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
18 hours ago, woshifeng3627 said:

What I mean is to keep the custom window size instead of changing the default window size. For users with multiple monitors, they can keep the default size without adjusting the window, and the developer provides switches to turn on or off the fixed custom window size.

You cannot turn it off if for example you just started Client and the window is outside of any monitors. Because you have changed your monitor setup meanwhile. So it lands somewhere outside of your screen estate and you just see it running, but cannot see the window. At that point, it is too late to adjust something in application settings...

So you see there are various corner cases that you won't hit daily, or even monthly. But still need to be taken into account so that you don't end up in situation where application is running, but you cannot reach the window.

As an example the Desktop server component has quite a bunch of code to deal with the toolbar. Since you can drag it out of the window to a separate floating toolbar window. Which people were accidentally doing, and then the toolbar got "lost". So now it will be automatically "re-homed". But it was quite a bit of exercise!

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 hours ago, steveoat said:

I have a machine with a usb dongle that was created under HQ Player OS embedded 4.  If I have a machine with HQ Player 5 embedded installed, will the dongle still work?

Yes, the dongle will work with v5 too. When ordering v5, just provide the dongle id, which is 8 or 16 character hexadecimal number shown as "fingerprint". Key generation will detect this and generate correct type of key for you straight from the web shop.

11 hours ago, Miska said:

在下一个版本中,客户端将记住窗口位置和大小。希望这不会造成太大的麻烦。不过,它内置了一些保护措施。

I believe that the next version of HQ Client will be an epochal and epic update! Very much looking forward to, don't forget to provide the year sort switch ha! Last time, you said that you developed and maintained apps for ios mobile?

14 minutes ago, bogi said:

It works only with DACs which allow digital volume level adjustment from computer through device driver. So then usual volume adjustment on computer is not processed by computer itself but is passed to DAC to be processed here.

In my experience (some years though) this is quite usual with portable USB DAC dongles and not so usual with desktop DACs.

Ok, so I have a portable USB DAC dongle that allows digital volume. How does this NAA hardware volume control feature work exactly? Do I need to enable the feature?

22 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Ok, so I have a portable USB DAC dongle that allows digital volume. How does this NAA hardware volume control feature work exactly?

Many DACs support digital volume (preamp function). But only few allow adjusting digital volume through computer USB audio driver. If that's not exactly stated in your DAC description then don't expect it to be working with your DAC.

This feature is used by dongles which physically don't contain any hardware pot or a kind of + - buttons.

10 years ago I tested many such devices, people from Slovak and Czech forums sent me them for comparison. HRT MicroStreamer was one of them. In that case the built-in headamp volume was digitally adjusted.

image.thumb.jpeg.44aed029d418500c05241d1bcdd2bc9f.jpeg

6moons audio reviews: HRT microStreamer
"The host computer's software volume control sends value markers to the microStreamer where those markers get mapped to 63 internal analogue steps."

In short: It is not a feature usable with any DAC or DAC+headamp, it must be explicitly supported by USB driver for that device.

NAA v5 provides remote access to this functionality. So it works through NAA in the same way like with directly connected DAC.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

The idea is not to use some digital volume control inside a DAC. You wouldn't want that, because you would be better off with HQPlayer's digital volume control. But instead an analog volume control inside a DAC that is adjustable through the USB, in a hybrid arrangement combining both the analog hardware volume control and HQPlayer's digital volume control. So it won't be only the DAC's volume control ever.

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

The idea is not to use some digital volume control inside a DAC. You wouldn't want that, because you would be better off with HQPlayer's digital volume control. But instead an analog volume control inside a DAC that is adjustable through the USB, in a hybrid arrangement combining both the analog hardware volume control and HQPlayer's digital volume control. So it won't be only the DAC's volume control ever.

So do I need to access or enable this feature in the NAA? How do I do that?

Yes, I see, those dongles with headphone connector of course contain some kind of headamp so it is about adjusting volume level of that headamp.

But some DACs may allow controlling their digital volume control this way too. I agree it would bring no advantage over HQPlayer volume control. DAC volume control does not prevent intersample overflows to occur.

One such example - also 10 years old:

DAC review: Exasound E20 32/384k DSD DAC mini-reveiw

"Let me explain about the volume control – it is not analogue nor digital… it is right in-between the two worlds. The signal over the USB from the computer to the DAC travels always at the 0 dB level. So there is no bit-loss like in digital volume controls. When you request a volume level, we send a command to the DAC – a couple of bytes to instruct the DAC chip ES9018 to produce lower voltage. So the 0dB sound stream is converted to lower voltage analogue signal.

From the analogue side of the equation, the signal is not attenuated, it is just born smaller. So you don’t have the signal to noise difficulties of conventional analogue volume controls. "

6 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

So do I need to access or enable this feature in the NAA? How do I do that?

You need to create a virtual device in the networkaudiod.xml and specify the volume control element there. I've tested it with few USB dongle DACs (Meridian Explorer, etc).

@dericchan1 IMO this feature must be explicitly implemented in DAC and mentioned in device description, it is not a generally available feature.

Just now, bogi said:

But some DACs may allow controlling their digital volume control this way too. I agree it would bring no advantage over HQPlayer volume control. DAC volume control does not prevent intersample overflows to occur.

Yes, and it shouldn't be used for such cases. HQPlayer always keeps at least -3 dBFS headroom for itself. So if you would set HQPlayer volume to -3 dB, then DAC's volume is at 0 dB. If you set HQPlayer volume to -6 dB, then DAC's volume is at -3 dB and HQPlayer's volume is at -3 dB too.

Just now, bogi said:

"Let me explain about the volume control – it is not analogue nor digital… it is right in-between the two worlds. The signal over the USB from the computer to the DAC travels always at the 0 dB level. So there is no bit-loss like in digital volume controls. When you request a volume level, we send a command to the DAC – a couple of bytes to instruct the DAC chip ES9018 to produce lower voltage. So the 0dB sound stream is converted to lower voltage analogue signal.

Wrong... ESS DAC chip's volume control is pure digital, 32-bit integer implementation... Nothing great.

1 minute ago, bogi said:

@dericchan1 IMO this feature must be explicitly implemented in DAC and contained in device description, it is not a generally available feature.

https://www.hidizs.net/products/hidizs-s9-pro-plus-martha-hifi-balanced-dongle-dac?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PerformanceMax-US-2021.11.10&utm_term=15225719193&utm_content=content&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv4i3i8azhQMVRssWBR23aAIEEAAYASAAEgI6mPD_BwE

This is my dac dongle amp, it does come with 2 buttons for digital volume control. I normally just set the volume at 100% and let HQPlayer to do volume adjustments. probably not some thing I should be concerned about then

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Wrong... ESS DAC chip's volume control is pure digital, 32-bit integer implementation... Nothing great.

According to the linked review the citation comes from Exasound president George Klissarov. :D

This feature is intended for DACs that have for example relay switched analog volume control built-in. Or dongles with analog headphone amplifier volume control.

For example the said Meridian has two outputs, fixed line level output and analog adjustable headphone output:

meridian_explorer4.jpg?preset=articleBig

8 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

I normally just set the volume at 100% and let HQPlayer to do volume adjustments.

If that volume control is digital, then IMO that's the best you can do.

15 hours ago, Miska said:

将其设置为 0 dB,让 HQPlayer 处理音量。这就是我一直在做的事情,例如我的 exaSound e28。

Honestly, I have never understood the volume principle of HQ and why DSD volume can be processed, but I set it to 0db to -100db, while PCM is set to -3db according to the instructions for 4499EX chip, and the volume adjustment during playback is generally in the range of -5db to -10db, according to the record gain! Different records gain is different!

_20240409204842.jpg.e48c72253fbfaaa0e53fde316333d5c5.jpg

_20240409205221.thumb.png.1f551c9f33336746de3d226770ba65d4.png