IGNORED

HQ Player

17 minutes ago, Miska said:

It is the same standard 2,54mm pitch connector as used for PC ribbon cables as for example PC motherboard power button, power LED, HDD LED etc connections. You can also find individual single pin connectors for those square pins. And I wouldn't be surprised if you can also find various power hats for Pi4 that just have a barrel connector or similar.

Official Pi4 PSU is 3A one. And the official Pi5 PSU is 27W USB PD PSU with multiple output voltages.

Sure, you may find various ways to power the Pi4. I just stated the USB hub model I use for the purpose, which also has a power button, so I can easily power up/down the Pi4. I don't know which other means actually work (without lightning symbol), since I have not tested those myself, so I cannot recommend anything else.

For Pi5 you need for example USB PD dock (there are various such for charging laptops), since Pi5 consumes quite a bit more power than Pi4.

Sorry I am confused. So if I have those USB C to USB C data and USB C power splitter, can I not just plug in a PI5 PSU to the USB C power port of the splitter to power a RPI5?

4 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Sorry I am confused. So if I have those USB C to USB C data and USB C power splitter, can I not just plug in a PI5 PSU to the USB C power port of the splitter to power a RPI5?

On USB PD, the Pi5 and the PSU need to be able to communicate with each other. I have some doubts if this works through such splitter. For example USB PD cables also have a small communication chip inside the connector to communicate about the cable's power capacity. So it's not just a basic wire with connectors.

USB PD can deliver for example 240W worth of power, a thin cable would just melt...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

On USB PD, the Pi5 and the PSU need to be able to communicate with each other. I have some doubts if this works through such splitter. For example USB PD cables also have a small communication chip inside the connector to communicate about the cable's power capacity. So it's not just a basic wire with connectors.

USB PD can deliver for example 240W worth of power, a thin cable would just melt...

I see.

So if my set up is RPI4 or RPI5 as source device (that would be fine that I just power it with whatever suitable PSU),

the issue is the source device can not provide power to the RPI4 input NAA. A splitter attached to a PSU should work to provide power for the RPI4 input NAA 

USB-C/PWR Splitter - PiShop.ca

"The adaptor allows the Raspberry Pi 4 to be used with a Pi USB-C power supply (or DC barrel jack) whilst allowing access to USB 2 OTG data over a separate USB-C connection (USB3 data is not connected/passed through)."

The issue is with a RPI5 as input NAA, the splitter may not work without the small communication chip

Yes, that is likely the case.

There are now few tested USB hub models that can provide sufficient power to RPi4, these have 12V mains PSU. While number of USB hubs with 5V PSU are known not to work.

There's also at least one USB PD dock tested to work.

There are likely more solutions that work (without lightning symbol), and it would be useful to have tested working solutions reported. IOW, if you get something working nicely, please let us know.

9 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Now back to my and @bogi original question - can a usb loopback be achieved say p400 running upnp render AND NAA input and output - with this adapter gets its power from psu, AND otg back to a USB A port of the same p400?

Theoretically such could work. I have not tested though...

25 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Now back to my and @bogi original question - can a usb loopback be achieved say p400 running upnp render AND NAA input and output - with this adapter gets its power from psu, AND otg back to a USB A port of the same p400?

My guess is it should work the same like between two Pi4.
What I don't know is if Pi4 automatically switches output audio device when USB connection to such a device is established. Jud had some comment to it a week ago.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
5 minutes ago, bogi said:

My guess is it should work the same like between two Pi4.
What I don't know is if Pi4 automatically switches output audio device when USB connection to such a device is established. Jud had some comment to it a week ago.

Well, in the UPNP renderer, you need to specify output device being the USB gadget (NAA input) if bookworm can detect it

1 minute ago, dericchan1 said:

Well, in the UPNP renderer, you need to specify output device being the USB gadget (NAA input) if bookworm can detect it

I would use a command from Jud's recommendation to list audio devices before plugging the USB loopback cable in and after. I guess one device more should appear in the list after the cable is plugged in. This way you can see which one it is.

Then you need to set that device in the Renderer config file. The Renderer may need to be restarted to reflect the change.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
4 minutes ago, Miska said:

This is how it appears on Linux:

card 1: Gadget [USB Audio Gadget], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Well folks, confirmed usb loopback does not work.

aplay -L nothing shows up

NAA input not detected 

13 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Well folks, confirmed usb loopback does not work.

aplay -L nothing shows up

NAA input not detected 

Did you first configure the input side of the NAA and trigger it up from HQPlayer? The device won't appear until the input URI is loaded in HQPlayer. (having a cable connected at the point doesn't matter)

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

Did you first configure the input side of the NAA and trigger it up from HQPlayer? The device won't appear until the input URI is loaded in HQPlayer. (having a cable connected at the point doesn't matter)

Yes I have trouble from hqplayer to connect to the input NAA, hqplayer could not find the input NAA device but could find the output NAA device (which is the same rpi4)

1 minute ago, dericchan1 said:

Yes I have trouble from hqplayer to connect to the input NAA, hqplayer could not find the input NAA device but could find the output NAA device (which is the same rpi4)

And you have networkaudiod-5.x running there?

Deric, thanks for trying! Maybe HQPlayer is confused in some way. Let's see what Miska says.

4 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

apparently you need to go into /etc/firmware/config.txt

and add this

dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host

dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=peripheral

Great! How did this part look before your change?
The USB-C port can be only in one state at one time.

This post looks interesting, it shows that the port mode can be switched also from command shell by running modprobe command as root.
I would wait for Miska's opinion.

3 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

It’s not pretty.

It's very nice except of those long USB cables. 🙂👍

6 minutes ago, bogi said:

Great! How did this part look before your change?
The USB-C port can be only in one state at one time.

This post looks interesting, it shows that the port mode can be switched also from command shell by running modprobe command as root.
I would wait for Miska's opinion.

I had to add those lines in.

I did some readings on enabling otg and also recalled seeing those lines in the NAA image config.

They were previously not in bookworm’s config.txt