IGNORED

iTunes to start selling hi rez files!

Seems like this is still at the rumor stage from what I have read. Apple has been asking for labels to provide 24/96 masters since at least 2012, so I'm not clear as to why this is suddenly generating so much excitement.

BTW, welcome, Picklgreen. I'm right down the road in Gig Harbor.

iTunes will start selling hi rez files in 2 months. Hopefully they will put hdtracks out of business once and for all!

Why would you want HDTracks to go out of business?

Merging NADAC / Theta Compli --> Spectral DMC-20 --> Spectral DMA-250 --> Avalon Ascendant (with tweeter upgrades)

iTunes will start selling hi rez files in 2 months. Hopefully they will put hdtracks out of business once and for all!

I would not like to see Apple crush all of the "little guys" but I am hoping that this will put some downward pressure on prices.

I think that the HiRes sites have benefited from (taken advantage of) limited supply and a rising demand. I understand free enterprise but I could never rationalize why a 16 bit file could cost so much more than a 24 bit one...not to mention DSD! Cost of business could certainly not justify it.

Perhaps that gap will narrow now with more competition.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I don't have any problems with HDtracks. They seems to be really nice people, and have very good customer service whenever I needed it.

iTunes can't compete because the iPod only supports up to 48/24 in ALAC only. It doesn't support FLAC, or DSD. iTunes is also a very limited application, in terms of configuration, it doesn't support ASIO and does not have bit perfect playback with auto sample rate switching.

I don't have any problems with HDtracks. They seems to be really nice people, and have very good customer service whenever I needed it.

iTunes can't compete because the iPod only supports up to 48/24 in ALAC only. It doesn't support FLAC, or DSD. iTunes is also a very limited application, in terms of configuration, it doesn't support ASIO and does not have bit perfect playback with auto sample rate switching.

iTunes can't compete because it doesn't support FLAC, DSD or ASIO? Is this 2003?

iTunes is capable of playing 24/96, recent iPhones, iPods can handle up to 24/48 ALAC and AAC. It also supports session-based WASAPI in Windows 7+.

The real question is if they're going to support lossless ALAC or just AAC of these 24/48 downloads.

iTunes can't compete because it doesn't support FLAC, DSD or ASIO? Is this 2003?

iTunes is capable of playing 24/96, recent iPhones, iPods can handle up to 24/48 ALAC and AAC. It also supports session-based WASAPI in Windows 7+.

The real question is if they're going to support lossless ALAC or just AAC of these 24/48 downloads.

What difference does it make what year it is? FLAC and DSD are still relevant. ASIO is still used with some current hardware like the Teac UD-501. Also iTunes supports up to 192 khz. But the iPods are limited to 24-bit ALAC only, if you use AAC the iPods down convert to 16-bit. The Windows Session support is a joke, it just uses what ever the default sound configuration is in Windows, which is not bit perfect. All of the details are relevant and Apple has a long way to go if they are going to impress any serious audio enthusiast. Theres just no way they can compete with an app like JRiver Media Center in it's current state

But the iPods are limited to 24-bit ALAC only, if you use AAC the iPods down convert to 16-bit.

Technically speaking, AAC LC and MP3 do not have intrinsic "per second" bit depths. The data is converted from time domain to frequency domain during encoding. The psychoacoustic algorithms determine which of the 24 or 16 bits are "most significant" during the encoding process.

The key here is will iTunes re-master them for Hi-Rez? Or will they just accept a 24/96 file from the label? I think it will be the latter.

Yeah thats the way all the digital labels work. But I'm skeptical if they will actually offer resolutions over 48khz. Since none of their supporting products support over that. I dought they want a bagillion customer support calls from uninformed customers (%80) trying to place 96/24 files on thier iPod Nanos.

Yeah thats the way all the digital labels work. But I'm skeptical if they will actually offer resolutions over 48khz. Since none of their supporting products support over that. I dought they want a bagillion customer support calls from uninformed customers (%80) trying to place 96/24 files on thier iPod Nanos.

Great point. You forget how ignorant the typical computer user is. Their support would explode and stay steady. With the niche sites people who go there know what they want and understand lossless.

If Apple even broaches DSD it would be a mess. Anyway, no way Apple and Sony get in bed together. Sorry, maybe they have before??

I can't say that I've tried to play hi-res on an iPod. But wouldn't it just downsample and play it without too much fuss.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

I can't say that I've tried to play hi-res on an iPod. But wouldn't it just downsample and play it without too much fuss.

As it stands right now, the only way to transfer 24/96 ALAC from iTunes to an iPod is to allow it to automatically convert to 256 kbps AAC. Otherwise it just ignores it.