IGNORED

Neil young announces the launch of ponomusic

Pono has announced that the Herbie Hancock Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Headhunters - 96 kHz/24-bit

The Imagine Project - 192 kHz/24-bit

Pono has announced that the James Taylor Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Hourglass - 44 kHz/16-bit

Gorilla - 192 kHz/24-bit

Pono has announced that the Jackson Browne Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Late for the Sky - 192 kHz/24-bit

Standing in the Breach (New Album) - 192 kHz/24-bit

Pono has announced that the Arcade Fire Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

The Suburbs - 44.1 kHz/16-bit

Reflektor - 44.1 kHz/16-bit

Pono has announced that the Grateful Dead Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Terrapin Station - 192 kHz/24-bit

Workingman's Dead - 192 kHz/24-bit

Pono has announced that the My Morning Jacket Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Circuital - 44 kHz/24-bit

Okonokos - 44 kHz/24-bit

Pono has announced that the Lyle Lovett Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Pontiac - 44.1 kHz/16-bit

Joshua Judges Ruth- 44.1 kHz/16-bit

It figures that a company founded by a sexagenarian would pick sexagenarian and septuagenarian artists.

I guess Stereo's post means that Pono will not be exclusively hi-res, but will also be selling Redbook quality files. (I'm not suggesting that Pono ever claimed to be exclusively hi-res.) I wonder how its content will differ from HDTracks, if at all.

Pono have always said they will sell the best that is available...

The difference is (supposedly) in their transparency.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

It was Neil Young's most recent release A Letter Home that saw him lose some credibility with me in the light of Pono. Being a collector of mechanical-acoustic gramophones and 78s from the acoustic and early electrical era I am very fascinated with obsolete recording techniques. While I first thought it was a rather brilliant statement to release a lo-fi recording made in a Voice-O-Graph booth right now, the album's realisation is a major disappointment to me. A Letter Home sounds so heavily compromised, like a 'historical' recording polished and re-processed to the max, and beyond. The actual charm and aesthetics of a primitive and quiet beautiful recording process is gone, the album sounds like someone has over-used a ‘make your recording sound vintage’ plug-in. No magic left, released @ 24/96. Sorry Neil, this is a waste of a lot of megabytes dedicated to noise made sound nice.

X2, so well put!

Ian Kendrick (Moderator)

128 GByte micro SD cards and the Pono Player.

This is one of the most asked questions. Pono has given us this information:

Pono supports cards of the maximum size currently available, 128GB, Micro SD classified as SDHC and SDXC Type 10. We recommend SanDisk cards and will be shipping the players with a SanDisk card.

Cards come preformatted and should not need formatting. SD card standards require cards sold to be FAT32 on all cards up to 32GB, and xFAT on all cards 64GB and higher. If there are any issues we recommend that people refer to SanDIsk website.

It doesn't look good for the future success of Pono.

Chris, some time has passed since this - which i understand was your initial reaction - but has anything changed that makes you feel different now? Especially since your visit with Wimp/Tidal...

Like most that ordered I am looking forward to my NY LE player, and am curious how the music store will resonate with folks in October.

• 2 weeks later...

Pono has announced that the Metallica Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Death Magnetic - 88 kHz/24 bit

The Black Album - 92 kHz/24 bit

Pono has announed that the Red Hot Chili Peppers Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Californication - 96 kHz /24 bit

I'm With You - 96 kHz/24 bit

Just need to remaster Death Magnetic at -6dB. Or use the leaked Guitar Hero version hehe.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Just need to remaster Death Magnetic at -6dB. Or use the leaked Guitar Hero version hehe.

Yup. Is Pono aware that "Death Magnetic" was ground zero of the Loudness Wars? Perhaps so, and are making a brilliant move to win over the audiophiles by releasing a remastered version that's not horribly compressed. Or they are oblivious and will permanently lose credibility by taking the easy way out.

Yup. Is Pono aware that "Death Magnetic" was ground zero of the Loudness Wars? Perhaps so, and are making a brilliant move to win over the audiophiles by releasing a remastered version that's not horribly compressed. Or they are oblivious and will permanently lose credibility by taking the easy way out.

So the folks buying a Metallica signature Pono at a premium wouldn't expect and like one of their most popular albums being included? And these people would dislike a loud sounding but otherwise pristine version of said album?

I doubt giving Metallica fans what they want will do damage to Pono's overall cred. It may help avoid the scent of an elitist snob project that the great bulk of music fans need not take any interest in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just to be clear the artists chose which albums are included with the players. As for the sampling/bitrate Pono has stated they will offer the highest available for a given album.

I have no problem at all with the music that is being offered with the signature players. I did just want to clarify, though, that bit rate won't ameliorate a loud/compressed master. (As I pointed out in my previous comment, loud is likely exactly what Metallica fans will want and expect from Death Magnetic.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So the folks buying a Metallica signature Pono at a premium wouldn't expect and like one of their most popular albums being included? And these people would dislike a loud sounding but otherwise pristine version of said album?

I doubt giving Metallica fans what they want will do damage to Pono's overall cred. It may help avoid the scent of an elitist snob project that the great bulk of music fans need not take any interest in.

If Pono gives them an 88/24 or 96/24 highly-compressed/clipped Death Magnetic they will not be able to tell the difference from the original, and will correctly assume they've been ripped-off. Who needs 24-bits worth of dynamic range when you can fit everything into a fraction of that?

If Pono gives them an 88/24 or 96/24 highly-compressed/clipped Death Magnetic they will not be able to tell the difference from the original, and will correctly assume they've been ripped-off. Who needs 24-bits worth of dynamic range when you can fit everything into a fraction of that?

Quick questions: Are you a Metallica fan? Did you like the original Death Magnetic?

Quick questions: Are you a Metallica fan? Did you like the original Death Magnetic?

I am a huge fan of early Metallica, but I think everything they did post-91 is crap. But that's completely irrelevant to the discussion. If I was a DM fan, and I paid extra money for a "high-res" copy of it, and I couldn't hear the difference because the seller was too lazy to use an album master that allowed one to hear the difference, haven't I been ripped-off?

I am a huge fan of early Metallica, but I think everything they did post-91 is crap. But that's completely irrelevant to the discussion. If I was a DM fan, and I paid extra money for a "high-res" copy of it, and I couldn't hear the difference because the seller was too lazy to use an album master that allowed one to hear the difference, haven't I been ripped-off?

I certainly understand your point, but here's why I don't think the point about being a fan of Death Magnetic in the original is totally irrelevant: Check out DR Database for that album. The DR avg-min-max numbers for the original '08 release (and the 2010 Japanese SHM-CD, which I'm assuming is pretty faithful to the original) are 3-2-4(!!). On the other hand, the numbers for various remastered versions go all the way to 12-11-13. I've never seen such a differential between versions, particularly in the direction of remasters being far less compressed than the original.

Assuming that the Pono version will be what the band wants, either it will come through in all its original we-don't-need-no-steenkin'-dynamic-range glory; or it will be more along the lines of the remasters and have beaucoup dynamic range compared to the original, accompanied by words from the band to the effect of "Here's all the goodness the !@#$%^! label wouldn't let us give you the first time!" If the former, I'm guessing fans of the original compressed version will be far too busy grooving out to the hammering in their ears to bother with thoughts along the lines of "Do we really need 24 bits?" If the latter, then the answer to that question will be yes, so not a problem.

If there are really fans that would prefer the original compressed version then I've officially lost all faith in humanity.

Heck, Celine Dion having a number 1 record took care of that for me ages ago. :)

No different than Black Sabbath on SACD, right?

Anticipating Pono because at the very least Neil Young will (I assume) deliver his music the way *he* intended.

If this creates a larger market for hi-res, then this is a very good thing. The fact that not all music will be "better" on Pono doesn't detract from that. Ideally compression would only be used when the artist intended the effect. Sounds like Neil Young never intended his music to be compressed :-)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.