IGNORED

Favorite "Music" Movies? (Not musicals or concert films)

But movies were the music takes the forefront. Just curious.

Mine are:

'Round Midnight. Possibly the main reason I started listening to jazz. Dexter Gordon plays Dale Turner, a tired, old bebop sax player who heads to Paris to play and find himself. He's befriended by Francois, an adoring fan who sets out on a mission to save Turner from himself. The character of Turner is based on the lives of Lester Young and Bud Powell. Amazing music throughout, including Gordon and Herbie Hancock.

Amadeus. For obvious reasons. And, since my real hobby is woodworking, I'll point out that the quality of the sets and furniture is outstanding.

The Blues Brothers. Belushi, Akroyd, Ray Charles, Cab Calloway, Aretha, James Brown, ...

I'm a James Horner fan. My favorites are Patriot Games and Sneakers. Sneakers is a great listen anytime.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

BladeRunner2013_zpsded1d7e8.jpg

GhostDog_zps64c37bd8.jpg

and pretty much any film by Quentin Tarantino

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Mama Mia

Now I'm going to run away and hide!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

West Side Story

I know this is a musical, but must be mentioned with this thread.

I will forever have a thing for Rita Moreno due to this film.

And the original Broadway cast soundtrack rules !!

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

I can strongly recommend this documentary movie if you're interested in piano music: it follows a senior Steinway technician working with artists like Alfred Brendel, Pierre-Laurent Aimard, etc.

Amazon.com: Pianomania: Stephan Knupfer, Pierre-Laurent Aimard, Lang Lang, Alfred Brendel, Till Fellner, Julius Drake, Rudolf Buchbinder, Lilian Franck, Robert Cibis: Movies & TV

It gives also some interesting insight into the idea of the "absolute sound" of a piano, given that not even two high-end Steinways sound alike.

81ghX3stcTL._SL1500_.jpg

And the "companion"* documentary "Note by Note," following the construction of a Steinway is also very good.

Following in the documentaries, In Search of Beethoven is terrific, and can be streamed from Netflix. The same production company has made In Search of Haydn and In Search of Mozart, but I haven't seen them. In Search of Chopin is in production.

*I don't know if they're actually related.

But movies were the music takes the forefront. Just curious.

Mine are:

Round Midnight. Possibly the main reason I started listening to jazz. Dexter Gordon plays Dale Turner, a tired, old bebop sax player who heads to Paris to play and find himself. He's befriended by Francois, an adoring fan who sets out on a mission to save Turner from himself. The character of Turner is based on the lives of Lester Young and Bud Powell. Amazing music throughout, including Gordon and Herbie Hancock.

Amen to that. While many movies - in fact I'd argue most movies - use music extremely well, when it comes to movie portrayals of musicians very few get it right. Round Midnight has been my gold standard for this ever since I first saw it in the cinema, and nothing has ever matched it.

Having said that, I see some great music films / films with great music nominated here. Can't argue with any of them. Well, ok - what idiot mentioned "Mama Mia"? For shame! :D

Here's some other ideas that have crossed my mind. Please forgive me if some of them are obscure or just plain bonkers. I blame my medication.

Battleship - Yes, yes I know. Bear with me here. It is a truly dreadful film in every possible way. Except for AC/DC's Thunderstruck on the soundtrack. Almost makes it worthwhile. Almost.

Stormy Monday - Yes, yes I know. Sting is in it. Stop laughing. He plays a Newcastle jazz club owner, not so much playing himself, as playing himself in an alternate life. He books a Polish band (Leningrad Cowboys?) to play in the middle of 'America Week'. I'm not a Sting-hater, though I admit to dabbling, but I would quite like to live in a world where Sting had that life instead of becoming Sting.

The Crow - Getting a mention because of Halloween. When I hear anything from the soundtrack I get a Pavlov-type urge to watch the movie again, and vice versa.

Agree with the Crow. I think I should add Highlander with its solid Queen soundtrack to the list. Also Lost Boys on the Halloween theme.

Oh and I was the "idiot" who mentioned Mama Mia. And I'm looking forward to Sunset over Leith too.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I confess I've never even seen Mama Mia - it is just pure blind prejudice based on the innate wrong-ness of Pierce Brosnan singing (or even miming, whatever).

70s-ish glam reminds me: Velvet Goldmine - Supposedly loosely modelled on Bowie's early career. Ironically I think the best thing that happened to the movie was Bowie's refusal to let them use any of his songs on the soundtrack. Sure there's a great movie that was never made (as in the one with Bowie's songs) but the more eclectic mix on Goldmine works very well.

Well if you're going to mention Bowie... Then have to add Labyrinth to movies with great sound track. I think Pulp Fiction in particular and Quentin Tarantino movies generally need adding to the list. And for that matter Sergio Leone / Ennio Morricone films.

The more I think the more I add...

Eloise

---

How about these two: Nightmare Before Christmas and Across the Universe. Across the Universe had some really good Beatle covers.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I think Pulp Fiction in particular and Quentin Tarantino movies generally need adding to the list. And for that matter Sergio Leone / Ennio Morricone films.

The more I think the more I add...

Agreed, I put Quentin movies in my post above. Also agree on Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone. I bought The Good The Bad & The Ugly remaster a while back and like it quite a bit.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC