IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Right-click cmd.exe or Command Prompt and then click Run as administrator afterwards, simply enter these lines to add both Task Manager and foobar2000 to the autostart list...

Worked perfectly! Thank you so much.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Is anyone using Foobar2000 in Core Mode?

I'm new to Audiophile media PCs, but after a few others recommended it, I thought I'd dive in and try Server 2012 with Audiophile Optimizer - but I use Foobar2000.

I've got my machine built using the 2012 Server Eval, followed the Audiophile Optimizer directions, and with the automatic optimization settings I really hear no difference between this and the Windows 8.1 system this was. So I figured I'd push a bit deeper and try the Manual Config, then push even further and try the Core Mode.

When I get into Core Mode, I can still RDP into the server, but I can't get Foobar2000 to start. I Changed Directory to the Foobar2000 folder and ran the EXE, and it said it was missing a DLL and couldn't start (I didn't catch which one, either it closed fast or I closed it out of frustration). I *can* get Foobar to run by running the EXE when in Minimal Mode vs Core Mode.

So my question - what's the best way to have Foobar2000 autostart in Core Mode, and how do I get it to actually *run* in core mode?

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to see what this can do for my system!

Foob2000 does not work in core mode without AO, it won't even start. AO contains everything needed to make Foobar work in core mode.

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

When I was using Foobar I used the command prompt to start Foobar, but there must be a better way.

You could use my ServiceTool to set Foobar as shell replacement and combine it with the Autlogon function. It will sound a tad bette and start everything by the press of the power button.

____________________________________________________________________________________

I use both JRiver and foobar in Core Mode.

Actually, I use JRiver primarily and was intrigued when I found out that you can use foobar as the audio engine for JRiver. I'd hoped that I'd have JRiver's powerful UI combined with foobar's sound quality for upsampling PCM to DSD.

I did get everything to work without too much difficulty. I set up a JRiver "zone" for its own engine and another "zone" for foobar's. I found myself preferring JRiver's sound. Not by a huge margin but reliably. There are still few options in foobar's DSD plug-in that I need to experiment with. They might make a difference.

Anyway, to get back to your question Eric, I'm able to run foobar (by itself) just fine in Core Mode. I set it up in GUI mode first and everything ran the same once I removed the WS2012 GUI. I have tiny batch files that I store in a single folder so I don't have to type the full path to any of the few programs I use on my audio server. Other than that I don't do anything special to make it work.

I have no idea how to get things to autostart (other that JRiver) in WS2012 though! I'd love to know. I just wrote a post earlier tonight about that.

Keith

You should have a look at the shell replacement funtion of my ServiceTool :)

I expect that this isnt the first time some would-be smartypants from the *nix world has commented on this, but the Unix/Linux runlevels make it a hell of a lot easier - not to mention faster - to boot into a bare shell.

How to Turn the GUI Off and On in Windows Server 2012

I completely get that in an enterprise environment you wouldnt switch from one mode to the other - many of the server installations wouldnt even have a monitor attached to them - but it's still a novel way to lose the GUI. Looking forward to the email from PP telling me that my funds are ready - I'm like a kid on Xmas Eve :D

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

I expect that this isnt the first time some would-be smartypants from the *nix world has commented on this, but the Unix/Linux runlevels make it a hell of a lot easier - not to mention faster - to boot into a bare shell.

How to Turn the GUI Off and On in Windows Server 2012

I completely get that in an enterprise environment you wouldnt switch from one mode to the other - many of the server installations wouldnt even have a monitor attached to them - but it's still a novel way to lose the GUI. Looking forward to the email from PP telling me that my funds are ready - I'm like a kid on Xmas Eve :D

An yet another function of my ServiceTool :) Please have a look at page 37 of the PDF Guide: https://www.highend-audiopc.com/PDF/audiophile_optimizer_setup_guide.pdf

ServiceTool.png

Foob2000 does not work in core mode without AO, it won't even start. AO contains everything needed to make Foobar work in core mode.

I get that, which is why I bought the software and I'm asking for help - but it said it was missing a DLL (normal install in standard directories). I'll try again when I get home, I'm on the road for work right now, but looking forward to playing with this some more.

You could use my ServiceTool to set Foobar as shell replacement and combine it with the Autlogon function. It will sound a tad bette and start everything by the press of the power button.

This sounds like it's my solution as well - but the guide didn't explain what this does exactly, so I haven't explored it just yet.

Hi Eric

Can you confirm you followed these steps?

- Switch to core mode

- Reran AO and said YES to "Install Kernel-Streaming and x86-Application support"?

Best,

Phil

Hi Eric

Can you confirm you followed these steps?

- Switch to core mode

- Reran AO and said YES to "Install Kernel-Streaming and x86-Application support"?

Best,

Phil

Yes to the above. But I'll go through and do it all again when I get back home. Maybe I typo'd or made some other mistake. Foobar is working in Minimal, so I should be able to get it going in Core with your software.

Is anyone using Dirac room correction with the AO? I'm running Server2012R2 in Minimum Server with JRiver Wasapi to Dirac Audio Processor where everything runs fine. But after running the AO script and reboot, the Dirac Audio Processor doesn't load anymore. I've tried several options during running the AO but no luck so far. Is there a way to fix this?

Arjan

I don't have WS2012 + AO set up yet, but wondering if in core mode you can run JRiver video with Red October HQ (uses MadVR as renderer) or is it recommended never to run video on your audio PC? I think JRiver installs video plugins and MadVR when you run video.

Core Mode will strip away most video capabilities, sorry.

i had no time so far to play around with Dirac, but it's in my to do list.

If I want to watch video can I easily go into a mode that will do video? What mode would this be?

What impact do you guys think Broadwell will have on CPU selection for audio servers? Does it depend if Paul can do the clock mod for compatible motherboards? Broadwell seems to be excellent thermal wise.

If I want to watch video can I easily go into a mode that will do video? What mode would this be?

What impact do you guys think Broadwell will have on CPU selection for audio servers? Does it depend if Paul can do the clock mod for compatible motherboards? Broadwell seems to be excellent thermal wise.

For the video, I would consider a dual boot system with Windows 7 or 8 installed initially and then WS2012 installed after that. That way you can have all of the capabilities you're looking for in one machine - although not at the same time.

For the best audio experience, it's best to have your audio server be as bare as possible.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Anyone use a Single PC / WS2012R2-Core / JRMC-19 / AO combo with a W4S DAC2-DSDSE ?

If so, any issues with installation, drivers or HiRez(32/384 and DSD-128) playback over USB ?

I am thinking of trying this combo with 2 SSD's (separate OS and Music SSDs) and controlling JRMC-19 over the network with another copy of JRMC-19.

TIA

Software: Realtime Debian 11-64, JRMC28-64, Custom VST3-64, CamillaDSP-64 (2x8 channel 64-bit FIR multi-pass convolution), RePhase, REW, Custom Driver Level DRC-FIR upgrades, JRMC CloudPlay, Pandora, Spotify, dBPowerAmp Reference,

2 Channel: A-Tech Fabrication i7-3770K/NVMe/Passive Cooling-No Moving Parts->OKTO DAC8 PRO->QuadAmping - MagTech/Mark Levinson #336/IcePower ASP1000->Magnepan 20.1's, NEO8's & OB/Dipole Subs

Home Theater: Anthem Statement D2V->W4S 7x1000->Magnepan 3.6's/CC3/MC2's+Martin Logan Descent I Subs

Office: Core-i7 3770S/SSD->Xonar Essence STX->W4S µDAC->W4S STI-1000->Magnepan Mini-Maggies

Garage: Dell Laptop->W4S uDAC->AdCom Amp->B&W Rock Solid

I'm using JRiver on a MacMini for both audio and video with AO and works great. JRiver's video quality with Red October HQ is amazing. I'm running in minimal server mode without problems, haven't tried core mode but as Phill said this will probably not work. Video performance under Win Server 2012 is much better then under Win7 which i used before, probably due to much less running processes on Win Server. All the video stuff is automatically installed during Jriver's installation so i don't think it degrades audio performance by using video as well. Unless you haven't installed a video driver which might improve audio performance but i never compared this. JRiver makes a great Multimedia platform and it's great to be able to control my music, movies and photo collection all via JRemote.

I'm using JRiver on a MacMini for both audio and video with AO and works great. JRiver's video quality with Red October HQ is amazing. I'm running in minimal server mode without problems, haven't tried core mode but as Phill said this will probably not work. Video performance under Win Server 2012 is much better then under Win7 which i used before, probably due to much less running processes on Win Server. All the video stuff is automatically installed during Jriver's installation so i don't think it degrades audio performance by using video as well. Unless you haven't installed a video driver which might improve audio performance but i never compared this. JRiver makes a great Multimedia platform and it's great to be able to control my music, movies and photo collection all via JRemote.

Can you switch from core mode to minimal server mode easily in order to do video while having no audio drawbacks when you switch to core mode?

This would be easier than the dual boot system suggested wouldn't it?

Phil are there any graphics drivers we should avoid?

Thanks

You can switch easily between server modes with the AO Service tool. However switching modes makes big changes to the operating system and is not something i would do every time you want to use video. I think minimal server mode is the best compromise if you want to use your server for both audio and video. If you really must use core mode for audio then i think a dual boot is the best way. However i really like the convenience of being able to play music or a movie without doing any reboots or making any changes. With JRiver in theater mode it's really a seamless multimedia experience that my whole family can operate.

Anyone use a Single PC / WS2012R2-Core / JRMC-19 / AO combo with a W4S DAC2-DSDSE ?

If so, any issues with installation, drivers or HiRez(32/384 and DSD-128) playback over USB ?

I am thinking of trying this combo with 2 SSD's (separate OS and Music SSDs) and controlling JRMC-19 over the network with another copy of JRMC-19.

TIA

I am doing this exactly except that I use JRemote on either my iPhone or iPad.

I am running in Win2012R2 with AO in Core Mode with a W4S DAC2-DSDSE and have two SSD's as described. I also have a PPA USB card and an HD-Plex LPS.

Drivers installed without a hitch. Be sure to install in the order described in the WS4 JRiver readme.

Works wonderfully...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

You can switch easily between server modes with the AO Service tool. However switching modes makes big changes to the operating system and is not something i would do every time you want to use video. I think minimal server mode is the best compromise if you want to use your server for both audio and video. If you really must use core mode for audio then i think a dual boot is the best way. However i really like the convenience of being able to play music or a movie without doing any reboots or making any changes. With JRiver in theater mode it's really a seamless multimedia experience that my whole family can operate.

..absolutely agree!

I am doing this exactly except that I use JRemote on either my iPhone or iPad.

I am running in Win2012R2 with AO in Core Mode with a W4S DAC2-DSDSE and have two SSD's as described. I also have a PPA USB card and an HD-Plex LPS.

Drivers installed without a hitch. Be sure to install in the order described in the WS4 JRiver readme.

Works wonderfully...

Thank you for the confirmation.

The HD-Plex LPS looks pretty cool as well.

Software: Realtime Debian 11-64, JRMC28-64, Custom VST3-64, CamillaDSP-64 (2x8 channel 64-bit FIR multi-pass convolution), RePhase, REW, Custom Driver Level DRC-FIR upgrades, JRMC CloudPlay, Pandora, Spotify, dBPowerAmp Reference,

2 Channel: A-Tech Fabrication i7-3770K/NVMe/Passive Cooling-No Moving Parts->OKTO DAC8 PRO->QuadAmping - MagTech/Mark Levinson #336/IcePower ASP1000->Magnepan 20.1's, NEO8's & OB/Dipole Subs

Home Theater: Anthem Statement D2V->W4S 7x1000->Magnepan 3.6's/CC3/MC2's+Martin Logan Descent I Subs

Office: Core-i7 3770S/SSD->Xonar Essence STX->W4S µDAC->W4S STI-1000->Magnepan Mini-Maggies

Garage: Dell Laptop->W4S uDAC->AdCom Amp->B&W Rock Solid

Can you switch from core mode to minimal server mode easily in order to do video while having no audio drawbacks when you switch to core mode?

This would be easier than the dual boot system suggested wouldn't it?

Phil are there any graphics drivers we should avoid?

Thanks

Yes you can switch between modes. I have a non-AO setup, which I can switch regularly with a hot-key from min-server for HTPC duties to Core mode for Audio only (using JRiver). It does require 2 reboots, so it is not a quick process, but gives you best of both worlds :)