IGNORED

DSD downloads from Acoustic Sounds - www.superhirez.com

Super HiRez | Acoustic Sounds

Only a few albums available so far, 30% cheaper than the corresponding SACD.

It even gets an article in USA Today

Kansas firm sets new high-res music download standard

That's going to be a game changer. Chad is a smart businessman, and I am told in the industry that hi-res downloads are killing the premium 45 vinyl business, so it makes perfect sense.

Also, Gray has recently upgraded his mastering chain to pure class A with very high end digital conversion, so he is going to become one of three go-to guys (with Sterling and Grundman the others) for audiophile hi-res digital.

I would think that this will force MOFI to get into downloads also.

How we all have waited for this moment!!!

Only to find out that it is completely blocked to non US citizens. What a disastrous future we are approaching where cultural products of the big markets are unavailable for us citizens of smaller states - like Denmark. With 5 million people you can guess how big the chances are that there will ever be a DSD download service carrying the AP selection or something similar in Denmark......At least in the odl days one could import cds and SACDs. But in the new download fast approaching restrictions will be the order of the day.....

Chad has been promising this for some time, so it's great to see it to fruition. It will be interesting to see if they get enough requests for Kevin and Steve's three channel (originally recorded in 3 channels) work with folks like Nat King Cole (i.e don't sell the PS3). IMO, that is where the magic is on those remasters. The site is offering Nat downloads, bu they look to be the stereo layer, of course.

How we all have waited for this moment!!!

Only to find out that it is completely blocked to non US citizens. What a disastrous future we are approaching where cultural products of the big markets are unavailable for us citizens of smaller states - like Denmark. With 5 million people you can guess how big the chances are that there will ever be a DSD download service carrying the AP selection or something similar in Denmark......At least in the odl days one could import cds and SACDs. But in the new download fast approaching restrictions will be the order of the day.....

People have just GOT to understand that licensing is through individual country subsidiaries of the labels or is territory based. There is nothing the vendor/licensee can do about it.

Aside from territory issues - the American subsidiary only having rights to license in their territory - there are concerns with allowing wide-open world wide access as in places like Russia and China, and other places with weak copyright laws and/or enforcement, bootlegging will be rampant and destro the market before it gets started. There are already a number of sites in those countries where hi-res bootlegging is rampant.

Sure, I do get it. But in the old days you could always import cds or sacds. What happens in the new world of download is that licensing very seriously restricts the access of citizens in small countries to cultural products. So in the past I could buy SACDs like everybody else and important them as private citizen. But in the future - if download takes over or just if you want DSD downloads like me - I will not anymore have access to such products. And my choice is then restricted to a very small national market. As US citizen this may be easy for you to live with, but if you are citizen of one of the smaller European countries, this is a most serious issue.....

Although it is of lesser impact, we here in the US can't access or buy from highresaudio dot com. It's too bad, but is a simple fact...a function of intellectual property and country licensing, since these downloads are indeed software.

I'm holding my breath.......................I"m done..............

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Here is the press release if anyone missed it.

Embargoed until 8/28/13, 8 a.m. Eastern

ACOUSTIC SOUNDS HITS HIGH NOTE WITH ADVANCED, HIGH-RESOLUTION AUDIO SERVICE

FOR MUSIC LOVERS SEEKING MORE CHOICES, BETTER SOUND QUALITY

SALINA, Kan. (Aug. XX, 2013) – Similar to the shift to high-definition television from analog, Acoustic Sounds Inc., the worldwide leader in mainstream audiophile recordings, today announced the first high-resolution audio service for enthusiasts that employs the most advanced audio technology available.

The new Acoustic Sounds Super HiRez™ service, available on Super HiRez | Acoustic Sounds, provides consumers with an alternative to MP3 and other lower resolution digital formats, while answering the needs of audiophiles seeking downloadable music with the same quality only available now on vinyl LPs or Super Audio CDs (SACD).

Using the same resident expertise used to produce its vinyl pressings, SACDs, and their own original recordings, the new service will employ Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology, which provides 64 times the resolution of audio CDs and a much more life-like quality than MP3 tracks.

“We’re excited to be the first company to offer mainstream albums from leading music companies using the DSD format on a website that’s optimized for simplicity and ease of use,” said Chad Kassem, founder and CEO of Acoustic Sounds. “Those who haven’t heard the music they love in this high-resolution format are going to be amazed by the experience.”

While Acoustic Sounds offers music in several formats, uncompressed DSD technology results in music as close to the master recording as possible, with deeper bass, reduced distortion, and an overall higher dynamic range.

Initial DSD albums available for download will include August and Everything After by Counting Crows, Come Away with Me by Norah Jones, A Love Supreme by John Coltrane, Tea for the Tillerman by Cat Stevens, Patsy Cline’s Greatest Hits, and more. Users will be able to access these titles from a site that’s convenient to navigate via an easy-to-use GUI. A detailed, yet simple-to-use tutorial is also available to assist first-time users.

Both tools can be utilized to help users download high-resolution content to any PC or Mac. The content can then be easily transferred to virtually any music system and played back via an array of software and hardware options all available directly on the Super HiRez site.

The goal of the new Acoustic Sounds Super HiRez service, according to Kassem, is to de-mystify the process of downloading high-resolution audio and create a convenient and compelling experience for music enthusiasts.

High-resolution albums will be available starting at $24.99. For additional information, please click on Super HiRez | Acoustic Sounds or Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment | Acoustic Sounds.

###

ABOUT ACOUSTIC SOUNDS:

Headquartered in Salina, Kan., Acoustic Sounds, Inc. is the worldwide leader in audiophile recordings. Owned by CEO Chad Kassem, the 27-year-old company provides the largest selection of highest-quality music in a variety of formats—from vinyl LPs and Super Audio CDs to digital downloads—all designed to exceed the expectations of audiophiles in almost 80 genres. The company owns its own record pressing plant, Quality Record Pressings, and operates three different brands of record presses. Acoustic Sounds also owns and operates its own vinyl reissue label (Analogue Productions), an original production label (APO Records) and its own recording studio (Blue Heaven Studios, a converted church). The company has also hosted the annual “Blues Masters at the Crossroads” festival in Salina for the past 15 years.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Although it is of lesser impact, we here in the US can't access or buy from highresaudio dot com. It's too bad, but is a simple fact...a function of intellectual property and country licensing, since these downloads are indeed software.

I just wonder how long it is going to take for the industry to realize that those country licensing laws is what's stopping them from potentially gaining millions more on all digital content, be it music, movies, TV shows, you name it.

I'd just love to e.g. be able to legally watch a Netflix series in Europe. So far no way. I also don't get why the new blue note remasters are available only at HDtracks in the US.

But if history is any guide, it is going to take industry a VERY LONG TIME.

The bad news is that I am going to spend much more money than budgeted for music. The great news is that this is actually happening NOW! WOW! :) :)

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

I just wonder how long it is going to take for the industry to realize that those country licensing laws is what's stopping them from potentially gaining millions more on all digital content, be it music, movies, TV shows, you name it.

I'd just love to e.g. be able to legally watch a Netflix series in Europe. So far no way. I also don't get why the new blue note remasters are available only at HDtracks in the US.

But if history is any guide, it is going to take industry a VERY LONG TIME.

In Europe, the EU Commission is working on creating a "single market" for the licensing of contents. Maybe the plans for a EU–US Free Trade Agreement will also include provisions on this. But it's clear the labels/studios prefer a fragmented market where they can fix seperate prices for each country.

Management of Copyright and Related Rights - European Commission

Claude

People have just GOT to understand that licensing is through individual country subsidiaries of the labels or is territory based. There is nothing the vendor/licensee can do about it.

Aside from territory issues - the American subsidiary only having rights to license in their territory - there are concerns with allowing wide-open world wide access as in places like Russia and China, and other places with weak copyright laws and/or enforcement, bootlegging will be rampant and destro the market before it gets started. There are already a number of sites in those countries where hi-res bootlegging is rampant.

Yes, but Denmark is a country where the rule of law is strong and copyright enforced. I don't see why they should be locked out of the hi-res download market.

In Europe, the EU Commission is working on creating a "single market" for the licensing of contents. Maybe the plans for a EU–US Free Trade Agreement will also include provisions on this. But it's clear the labels/studios prefer a fragmented market where they can fix seperate prices for each country.

Management of Copyright and Related Rights - European Commission

I hope that we don't have to wait until all these negotiations are finalised and the associated legal instruments implemented before we see truly international hi-res download websites. Otherwise for me it could easily imply that I shall be deaf or dead before it finally happens...

I hope that we don't have to wait until all these negotiations are finalised and the associated legal instruments implemented before we see truly international hi-res download websites. Otherwise for me it could easily imply that I shall be deaf or dead before it finally happens...

Listen, it is two clicks to get onto a proxy server and buy from any site in the world. Just do a little homework and this is SO easy to get around.

Robert, I do know this of course. But the problem with the implementation here is that you have to pay with an american credit card or paypal (and in this case there has to be a correspondance between the address (American) you give them and the address associated to the paypal account.) This means that even I used a proxy, I cannot pay for the record I want to buy! Other sites use less strict implementation of payment that gives you certain possibilities. Another negative point is that none of their records seems to be available outside the US. IN HD tracks for example it is not all records that are locked.....

Listen, it is two clicks to get onto a proxy server and buy from any site in the world. Just do a little homework and this is SO easy to get around.

Im very much aware of the option but still don't get why you have to use those grey area workaround a.

Im very much aware of the option but still don't get why you have to use those grey area workaround a.

Because of the license the LABEL offers them. That is the way it is.

This is very common in the world.

My kids love Hi-Chews, but they are only sold in Japan. It is what it is.

Look guys, this only got announced troday. Give them a chance to roll it out - they say they are working on international. I know in the instant gratification world we want what we want right now at our fingertips. Have patience.

If there is one DSD download to get it's this one -> Nat King Cole-The Very Thought Of You-DSD Download | Acoustic Sounds

Thank you for the recommendation, Chris! This is a great performance, and a great-sounding album :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system