IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

@mourip What are the voltage/current requirements ? Would an UpTone LPS-1 suffice ?

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

Just now, Charente said:

@mourip What are the voltage/current requirements ? Would an UpTone LPS-1 suffice ?

My understanding is that the USB version needs 6.3 volts and that the non-USB version needs 5V. Having said that I measured 6.3V myself but others have tried other voltages without an issue. My HDPlex luckily has four outputs with one variable so I could dial it in. Perhaps with the USB board removed 5V might work...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Mmmm ... my current setup would best with USB I think. Toslink out of the MacMini is questionable .... unless the Mutec does something magical with that signal !

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

7 hours ago, mourip said:

My understanding is that the USB version needs 6.3 volts and that the non-USB version needs 5V. Having said that I measured 6.3V myself but others have tried other voltages without an issue. My HDPlex luckily has four outputs with one variable so I could dial it in. Perhaps with the USB board removed 5V might work...

This not the case.  I removed the SMPS and the MC3+ USB is powered by an LPS-1 set to 5V. I’m using the USB input, so the USB card is not removed. Just don’t use any USB drives and all is OK.

Is there no official line about voltage/current ? I did a quick look on Mutec's website but couldn't find much there.

It's disappointing that a PS arrangement more commensurate with this level of equipment is not available. Even the EITR at $179 has a reasonable power supply which is not a SMPS.

Just now, Charente said:

It's disappointing that a PS arrangement more commensurate with this level of equipment is not available. Even the EITR at $179 has a reasonable power supply which is not a SMPS.

All linear power supplies are not per se better than SMPS's. The SMPS in the MC3+ USB is already quite good, but of course, it can't beat the LPS-1 or a PH.

Indeed, some SMPS do reportedly produce a good quality DC output  ... I guess I view SMPS as a necessary evil ... I have 3 and IMHO that's 3 too many. To varying degrees they can profoundly pollute the AC to other equipment, as I have discovered ... altho' I admit I am no EE ... just by ear.

12 minutes ago, Charente said:

I can imagine that Mutec will soon introduce a version of the MC3+ USB that accepts external power supplies. They have introduced a new "audiophile" range of products and it seems strange that this consists meanwhile of only a single product!  

2 minutes ago, Charente said:

Indeed, some SMPS do reportedly produce a good quality DC output  ... I guess I view SMPS as a necessary evil ... I have 3 and IMHO that's 3 too many. To varying degrees they can profoundly pollute the AC to other equipment, as I have discovered ... altho' I admit I am no EE ... just by ear.

It's not only the SMPS's in or near your audio equipment but all around the house. That's why some people draw a separate AC line for audio only. Perhaps I will do this in the future.

2 minutes ago, nbpf said:

I can imagine that Mutec will soon introduce a version of the MC3+ USB that accepts external power supplies. They have introduced a new "audiophile" range of products and it seems strange that this consists meanwhile of only a single product!  

That's right they call it "Empyreal Class". Only REF10 for now.

Agree with you @afrancois . I eventually got a Balanced Power Supply (thanks to another member's suggestion) which reasonably isolates the main part of my chain from everything else ... definitely no SMPS attached ! ... and it has cured my nervosa !  A separate supply would be ideal but not really possible where I am and the cost, I'm guessing, would be much greater 

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

While a separate power supply connection would be ideal for tinkerers, the issue of product performance comes into play. As we all know power supplies vary considerably in quality of DC they deliver, not only to the equipment , but throwback to the AC supply.  To conform to a known specification and to comply with EMC regulations, the choice of power supply could breach regulations, and also performance could suffer.

The way around this is for Mutec to offer a separate linear supply box as an option, so the PSU can be tested to a known set of EMC rules, and there's less chance of the hobbyist using their own psu blowing the MC-3+USB. That PSU should be strong enough to provide power to several MC units, since many have purchased multiple Mutec units. OTOH Mutec manufacture clocking devices not power supplies, so limited resources have to be allocated. Not a simple solution. 

If anyone is prepared to void their warranty, then the choice is wide open!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

7 hours ago, afrancois said:

This not the case.  I removed the SMPS and the MC3+ USB is powered by an LPS-1 set to 5V. I’m using the USB input, so the USB card is not removed. Just don’t use any USB drives and all is OK.

As I said, others have tried other voltages without issue. Glad that 5V works as it is one of the most popular presets. I guess that I am lucky in that my HDPlex LPS has one output that is variable.

When I did my review of the REF10 I asked Mutec about the possibility of making the M3USB with an external DC connector for the power supply so that we could switch in a high quality LPS.

Their reply was that they had received this inquiry from many other customers and the agreed that the SMPS was the largest disadvantage of the MC-3+USB. Their explanation was that due to the available space inside the case and of course the pricing, they were limited to the SMPS. I hope that one day they will come out with an upgraded version that either has an switch for an external DC jack or else just comes with an external PS that could easily be replaced.

One way or another it is still a remarkable device in it's versatility and quality...and price.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

If 5V works fine, try the 5V / 3A PSU from allo.com. It a cheap psu made in china, with cheap components inside, but with specifications and results quite extraordinary for the price. It is just a suggestion at 12$, :D even if I know that many people will never beleive me ...

Source : QNAP TS-131, LMS 7.9, Player Digione

Amp+Cables+Speakers : FDA V200, Audioprana Ag Cryo 4 brins, Atohm GT2

10 hours ago, r11bordo said:

If 5V works fine, try the 5V / 3A PSU from allo.com. It a cheap psu made in china, with cheap components inside, but with specifications and results quite extraordinary for the price. It is just a suggestion at 12$, :D even if I know that many people will never beleive me ...

Sure that will work but I will still try to use a Linear Power Supply that has the lowest noise possible.

I am not an expert but from my limited understanding is that the MC3's clocks or any devices with clocks for that matter will respond and perform at it's best when fed with a very good LPS with the lowest noise regulator output that you can find.

It's not the only parameter for sure but IMO, it is 1 of the major aspects to pay attention to in choosing a good linear power supply.

Is it not the replacement of the noisy SMPS with an LPS that results in improved sound quality that people are reporting here?

Eliminating as much noise in the supply that feeds the Mutecs is what brings those details in the music out in the open that is being masked so a low noise lps is a good thing here.

On 10/21/2017 at 11:20 AM, One and a half said:

While a separate power supply connection would be ideal for tinkerers, the issue of product performance comes into play. As we all know power supplies vary considerably in quality of DC they deliver, not only to the equipment , but throwback to the AC supply.  To conform to a known specification and to comply with EMC regulations, the choice of power supply could breach regulations, and also performance could suffer.

The way around this is for Mutec to offer a separate linear supply box as an option, so the PSU can be tested to a known set of EMC rules, and there's less chance of the hobbyist using their own psu blowing the MC-3+USB. That PSU should be strong enough to provide power to several MC units, since many have purchased multiple Mutec units. OTOH Mutec manufacture clocking devices not power supplies, so limited resources have to be allocated. Not a simple solution. 

If anyone is prepared to void their warranty, then the choice is wide open!

I agree with your remarks. On the other hand: voiding the warranty is not the only step which is needed in order to use the Mutec with a separate PSU. One also has to open the box, do some soldering, etc. I wold not mind voiding the warranty but I am not prepared to do the tinkering and a unit with a standard 5.5mm connector would be ideal for me. I very much hope that the Ref 10 will not be the only inhabitant of the new Empyreal Class for too long ...

If I am not mistaken, in most of the posts in this thread the MC3+ USB has been deployed as a USB convertor and reclocker. Has anybody tried to use it as a reclocker of a SPDIF stream? I was thinking of trying it connected to the SPDIF output of an Allo DigiOne. Can I expect significant improvements or just differences? Thanks, nbpf

13 minutes ago, nbpf said:

If I am not mistaken, in most of the posts in this thread the MC3+ USB has been deployed as a USB convertor and reclocker. Has anybody tried to use it as a reclocker of a SPDIF stream? I was thinking of trying it connected to the SPDIF output of an Allo DigiOne. Can I expect significant improvements or just differences? Thanks, nbpf

As well as the USB input, I use the spdif input to reclock my Oppo-UDP-203 for movies and concert videos. The result is the same as on the USB input, i.e. quite a nice improvement and I'm happy that the MC3+USB works as a multifunction unit for me. 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

1 hour ago, zoltan said:

As well as the USB input, I use the spdif input to reclock my Oppo-UDP-203 for movies and concert videos. The result is the same as on the USB input, i.e. quite a nice improvement and I'm happy that the MC3+USB works as a multifunction unit for me. 

I just got my MC3+USB so far so good. I use it also with spdif to my Oppo-105. and it is a strong step up. 

I will have to dig back and see how much the improvement to switch it to LPS and i believe USB version is 6.3V but i have to measure and see.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

4 hours ago, nbpf said:

The MC-3 + USB is equally capable of improving aes3 as well as SPDIF.  Well SPDIF is pretty well on the low side of sq,  but the mc makes a difference there too, not so much as with aes3 and usb.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA