IGNORED

New York Times - all I can say is wow!

I swear, my vet buys a new car every July - when the three amigo's make their yearly pilgrimage to see her. One of the cats needs dental work again- that's another 10 Benjamins at least... :)

-Paul

Then there is the golden retriever hobby. Even without factoring the $62K the insurance company spent to reassemble my ankle after they tripped me up, it has been a minor fortune.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

One of the cats needs dental work again- that's another 10 Benjamins at least...

What value is a Benjamin? More or less than a Jane Austin - okay you can give me a number!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

What value is a Benjamin? More or less than a Jane Austin - okay you can give me a number!

For the uninitiated, US $100 bills have a picture of founding father Benjamin Franklin on them, hence the monicker "Benjamin"

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

For the uninitiated, US $100 bills have a picture of founding father Benjamin Franklin on them, hence the monicker "Benjamin"

I knew WHY they were called Benjamin's just wasn't sure what value they were...

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

They are getting rid of Charles Darwin and replacing him with Jane Austin?

At the very least they could have come up with an author who possessed some writing abilities.

I think that must be why they are replacing Darwin with Austen :) (note correct spelling).

BTW, I've extensively read and enjoyed both. On a purely stylistic level - without getting into evaluations of content - no question that Austen is a far superior writer.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

(note correct spelling)

Prof Scott was probably confusing Jane Austen with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. Steve isn't such a great prose stylist.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Prof Scott was probably confusing Jane Austen with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. Steve isn't such a great prose stylist.

No... Jane Austin... I think she must have been the designer of cars with musical names...

Eloise

Eloise

---

I was a little surprised they replaced the single person who changed forever the way we understand the world with a novelist, albeit a very fine one, though no Dickens, for example.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Does anyone remember what this thread was about? Right-it was a NYT article that so many found fault with.

I am in minority here. I think it was pretty much spot on. I think it painted a pretty good picture of where we are today, music reproduction-wise. Many of you seemed to zero in on the expense of high-end gear. Even though that was mentioned in the article, to me, it didnt come across as one of the central themes. Are we viewing the world again thru our systems?

No-the thrust of this article, to me was the changing culture of listening to music. And to us, it should be GOOD news, not questionable. Younger people are slowly coming around to desiring to hear their collections with a little more sound quality. I'm pretty sure that's what the article was about (not how WE are in the minority, how much WE spend, how good OUR systems sound. After all, it wasnt really about US, was it?

(all due respect)

Scott

Thank you, so much boulderskies. I also wish that we keep to the point. Although I admit that the Jackson Pollack detour is mildly amusing. The NYT article puts all that we hold sacred in a positive light. In Italian we have a word for it. "Pignolo" - those who feel it necessary to nitpick everything until it screams "basta - no more, please!" The writer may not be as informed as we think we are. However, it does shine a nice glow on our little world. And, just admit it. We need all the help we can get. Otherwise, we and our hobby are doomed.

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

I was a little surprised they replaced the single person who changed forever the way we understand the world

Well that's debatable. Poor Alfred Russell Watson is almost completely forgotten while Charles Darwin gets almost all the credit.

with a novelist, albeit a very fine one, though no Dickens, for example.

They couldn't find another woman of significance it seems...

Eloise

Eloise

---

Well that's debatable. Poor Alfred Russell Watson is almost completely forgotten while Charles Darwin gets almost all the credit.

Ah yes, poor old Alfred Wallace. Even his own countryfolk have forgotten his surname...

They couldn't find another woman of significance it seems...

I guess Baroness Thatcher would have been a tad controversial.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I guess Baroness Thatcher would have been a tad controversial.

*shudder* please don't even think such thoughts, far less post them in full view of GCHQ. Imagine having Thatcher or our tenners, Blair on our fivers, and up here in Scotland we'd have Salmond's chubby features smugly grinning at us. I think I'd end up bankrupting myself as a result of the overpowering urge to see them all burn. :( :(

*shudder* please don't even think such thoughts, far less post them in full view of GCHQ. Imagine having Thatcher or our tenners, Blair on our fivers, and up here in Scotland we'd have Salmond's chubby features smugly grinning at us. I think I'd end up bankrupting myself as a result of the overpowering urge to see them all burn. :( :(

Well traditionally, pollies are supposed to be dead before they make it onto banknotes, so you could take cheer that each note is a reminder that they're gone.

- Einstein

Ah yes, poor old Alfred Wallace. Even his own countryfolk have forgotten his surname...

That's cause I was reading an article where he was described as Watson to Darwin's Holmes...

Eloise

Eloise

---