IGNORED

New York Times - all I can say is wow!

One might as well listen of construction sounds or....RAP.

I bet they said the same about that Mozart chap; they definitely said the same about Picaso's artwork.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Art

JSJBreakfast.jpg

Vandalism

Italian_Graffiti_17.JPG

Hmm, if that beautifully executed, but almost ludicrously cliché, image of two elegant ladies taking tea on a classical portico, had been painted on the rather ugly wall in the second photo, would it have been art or vandalism?

Is the medium the message?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I bet they said the same about that Mozart chap; they definitely said the same about Picaso's artwork.

Time will tell...what is good will last, what is not will fade to a bad memory...Media may be the same. A decade from now folk might speak of iPods and MP3's as we do of 8 Track tapes, a curiosity left behind by better ideas.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Hmm, if that beautifully executed, but almost ludicrously cliché, image of two elegant ladies taking tea on a classical portico, had been painted on the rather ugly wall in the second photo, would it have been art or vandalism?

Is the medium the message?

I suspect the graffiti 'artist' lacks the talent to reproduce the first painting on any media, much less a wall.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Look at this years Hollywood offerings....mediocrity is the word of the day....And Rap, will, it strives to reach the mediocre..

YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT.

Mediocrity in art is a judgement call. Millions of people like the entertainment provided by Hollywood. They know that other films are out there but they like Pirates of the Caribbean and Transformers!

Small studios make films other people like. It's called choice!

By keep going on about rap you keep reinforcing my view you are a music snob!

That is why folk should Proselytize ... Like the X-Files, the audio truth is out there...

I don't disagree - but the blame lies as much at the door of the HiFi companies as Apple and whoever else you want to blame. People won't buy what they don't know exist!

Out of the box one runs into the limits and exasperation of iTunes and the cost of getting 'i' compliant outboard DAC's....No USB out. No open source software where anyone can build an app that works on an android device.

I did admit high res on an iPhone isn't possible. What I said was compare an iPhone with external headphone amp to your Android / Fiio setup using CD res lossless before you give judgement.

Ask many developers and they will tell you developing for iOS is much easier than having to deal with the fragmentation on Android. A closed system has its advantages.

One does not need Google for media. The internet is full of sources...One does not have to settle for mediocre, people choose to.

Yes there are sources in the Internet. But no one is going to experience lossless or high resolution by following Google yet you insist it's Apples fault that people are accepting compressed audio.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I suspect the graffiti 'artist' lacks the talent to reproduce the first painting on any media, much less a wall.

I think you'd be surprised...

Eloise

---

You confuse popularity with quality....

No; I think you confuse your desires with what everyone else should want!

Eloise

---

Mediocrity in art is a judgement call. Millions of people like the entertainment provided by Hollywood. They know that other films are out there but they like Pirates of the Caribbean and Transformers!

Hey, first Neil Young, now Captain Jack Sparrow. Is nothing sacred?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Hey, first Neil Young, now Captain Jack Sparrow. Is nothing sacred?

Hey I didn't say people shouldn't like Capt Jack nor Neil Young...

Eloise

---

Sprinkle in some degenerate art/entartete kunst overtones and I think you're pretty close

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

I did admit high res on an iPhone isn't possible. What I said was compare an iPhone with external headphone amp to your Android / Fiio setup using CD res lossless before you give judgement.

The DAC in all apple portable devices is several generations behind those in other folks phones. A WAV lossless file on an iPOD through its earphones simply does not sound as good as the same file using neutron on a non apple device (IMHO). Now add on the cost of 'i' compliant and licensed outboard stuff like docks and DAC's....Everything Apple costs more and sounds marginally to greatly poorer dollar for dollar spent. Now consider I can do high Rez, which sounds way better than CD on well engineered material...well, why Apple...and why MP3

A thought, if the argument hinges on most folk not knowing there are affordable options to the MP3, what is the excuse of those who DO know?

James1776 your argument, which your are completely entitled to, comes across here as very shallow and elitist. I think we set a very bad precedent in this community when we start characterizing and stereotyping different types of music (or types/cost/brands of gear) out in the open. Those opinions are just best kept to yourself because the results are simply divisive. There is something out there for everybody which is the beauty of music.

You don't have to like all of it. Just take what you do like and enjoy.

yet you insist it's Apples fault that people are accepting compressed audio.

It is not Apples fault, they are simply willing enablers. It is not about the music with apple but about the money. I really believe they would prefer to sell mediocre files to good ones as long as no one minds. It is like Edison at the turn of the last century. He had a gazillion patents for music hardware (cylinders) and movies and fought tooth and nail any competition. He used to use bully boys to intimidate other developers. As he had the patents, he saw no reason to improve his product as he worked to find other stuff to patent that did not conflict with what he already had.

Perhaps...I think they 'should' want music reproduced well....what do you think they 'should' want?

Neutron is an alternative music player right? So that isn't "out of the box"!

As for "The DAC is several generations behind" that's pretty irrelevant as arguably some of the best (standalone) DAC use chips several generations old.

I put a question to you though ... What other device even has a guarantee that an accessory DAC will work with it? That's part of what you're paying for. It's called support which in apple's case isn't mediocre (which is something you are so keen on!!!)

Oh and by and large those people who know there is an alternative to lossy compression listen and make their mind up for themselves.

The DAC in all apple portable devices is several generations behind those in other folks phones. A WAV lossless file on an iPOD through its earphones simply does not sound as good as the same file using neutron on a non apple device (IMHO). Now add on the cost of 'i' compliant and licensed outboard stuff like docks and DAC's....Everything Apple costs more and sounds marginally to greatly poorer dollar for dollar spent. Now consider I can do high Rez, which sounds way better than CD on well engineered material...well, why Apple...and why MP3

A thought, if the argument hinges on most folk not knowing there are affordable options to the MP3, what is the excuse of those who DO know?

Eloise

---

Then let me rephrase...I could reproduce the graffiti, I could not the art.

I would like to see you try to do good graffiti...

Eloise

---

James1776 your argument, which your are completely entitled to, comes across here as very shallow and elitist. I think we set a very bad precedent in this community when we start characterizing and stereotyping different types of music (or types/cost/brands of gear) out in the open. Those opinions are just best kept to yourself because the results are simply divisive. There is something out there for everybody which is the beauty of music.

+1 There seems to be an unwritten law on this forum that we happily fight tooth and nail about most things, but we do not criticize each other's taste in music.

- Einstein

Perhaps...I think they 'should' want music reproduced well....what do you think they 'should' want?

You really need to be clear: are you moaning at people who are listening to MP3; or people listening to rap and watching Hollywood films?

Promoting well reproduced music (of whatever type) is one thing; and i would love if more people bought good quality equipment and demanded well recorded (non-compressed high resolution) music. Saying people are wrong for liking their own choice in art is completely another.

Eloise

---

I thought Texas was about free speech across the board, the free exchange of ideas. If one is so insecure in their position that they are horrified by my position, I suggest they are the folk with the problem, not I.

'Elitist' is an amusing conceit. Its modern use seems to imply that only the hearty peasant saying and doing things in lockstep with the herd can express a valid view, that truth is found in consensus. 'Elitist' is a pejorative designed to insure none of that herd has to ever consider views outside the herd. I am solidly amongst the happy mob. I am not rich or even well heeled. I do not come from a long line or evil aristocrats. I just believe that deciding to align myself with popular opinion, especially on matters of popular culture, is to strive for the mundane.

'Shallow' is another term applied to folk who do not wallow in the mass media and who might just say or do things that makes that 'mass' unconformable.

I strongly agree that one can take of leave any bit of art, music or gear one desires but I do not agree with the implied bit, that all media is equally of merit.

There IS art, music and good sound just as there IS crap....I am just amazed that folk who are aware of better sound are content to remain with the poor sound.

Neutron is an alternative music player right? So that isn't "out of the box"!

As for "The DAC is several generations behind" that's pretty irrelevant as arguably some of the best (standalone) DAC use chips several generations old.

I put a question to you though ... What other device even has a guarantee that an accessory DAC will work with it? That's part of what you're paying for. It's called support which in apple's case isn't mediocre (which is something you are so keen on!!!)

Oh and by and large those people who know there is an alternative to lossy compression listen and make their mind up for themselves.

Neutron is an android app...software.

Neutron is an android app...software.

Which isn't installed as standard!

Eloise

---

+1 There seems to be an unwritten law on this forum that we happily fight tooth and nail about most things, but we do not criticize each other's taste in music.

Interesting...I thought the idea was not to attack other posters but to attack music genre's...why not?