IGNORED

New York Times - all I can say is wow!

Actually didn't like the article that much. Made it seem like the only thing going on in audio is Vinyl. Barely a mention of real computer audio and hi-res.

I did however, like that they included some relatively low priced audiophile equipment in a list at the end so people could check out how to get into good sound.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

And the front runner in the contest for the geekiest quote of the year is....

“In the ’60s and ’70s, if you opened up Esquire or Playboy and they showed a bachelor pad, there was a killer sound system in it. Now, there’s an iPod dock.”

I bet the article's author only reads Penthouse for the incisive political articles too :D

As usual, the article is full of platitudes relative to the quality of audio, whether analog or digital.

But for a main-stream media piece it was not too bad.

At least they do not take the typical route stereotyping audiophiles as a bunch of OCD Luddites.

The comments is where the fun starts, though.

I must admit to a reply thoroughly crucifying this moron, however.

" Eduardo

The law of diminishing returns is most easily found in the audiophile industry. Spending thousands of dollars for a turntable, CD player, amplifier and so on is lost on 99 percent of those who love music. Even speakers in this price range are of dubious value unless you don't have neighbors. But speakers are by far the most important component in terms of audio quality even at low levels.

I've been involved with audio and music for a long time, and find 320 bps MP3 files and high quality in-ear monitors more than satisfying these days.Spending $200 to $500 will do the trick, but avoid those overpriced celebrity models, which overdrive bass and offer inferior mid range quality. The entire audible range should be in balance. Use an equalizer (always found in qualitymusic apps) to tweak sound if necessary.

Audiophiles are fetishists who listen to clicks and pops from vinyl records reproduced perfectly on very costly sound systems. Ignore them.

Eclectic Pragmatist "

What an ass!

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

And the front runner in the contest for the geekiest quote of the year is....

“In the ’60s and ’70s, if you opened up Esquire or Playboy and they showed a bachelor pad, there was a killer sound system in it. Now, there’s an iPod dock.”

I bet the article's author only reads Penthouse for the incisive political articles too :D

There's only ever Bose adverts in my magazines (well the non-HiFi ones).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

What an ass!

Indeed.

I have sat audio neophytes in front of my system many times. Their eyes usually go wide and say they have never heard anything like it. All their friends have systems but nothing sounds even remotely close to this.

The thing that turns them off is cost. When I tell them my speakers alone cost $15k they nearly puke.

Easily detectable audible difference exist with high end - but at a cost most, except for those that love the hobby, don't want to spend.

Thanks

Bill

But nobody blinks an eye at someone who spends $35k on a Harley?

...and they don't even sound good

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Actually, it is mostly same old, same old. The audiophile community has always been a tiny sliver of the music business. Convenience had always trumped, first cassettes, then CD's, now downloads. BTW, I always had the impression Bang Olufsens were more about looks than sound, though I confess I never gave them a serious listen.

Actually, The audiophile community has always been a tiny sliver of the music business. MY EDIT.

Agree, but I find it interesting that there are thousands (my guess) of high and higher end audio equipment companies, who exactly is buying all of these components at 10K a pop?

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

For some reason I have a lot less resistance to spending money on bicycles than audio equipment.

I am the same with Porsches. It seems I am willing to spend almost freely when I want a Porsche, but think long and hard before spending money on audio gear.

No electron left behind.

Indeed.

I have sat audio neophytes in front of my system many times. Their eyes usually go wide and say they have never heard anything like it. All their friends have systems but nothing sounds even remotely close to this.

The thing that turns them off is cost. When I tell them my speakers alone cost $15k they nearly puke.

Easily detectable audible difference exist with high end - but at a cost most, except for those that love the hobby, don't want to spend.

Thanks

Bill

Absoutely. VERY few customers want anything even remotely that costly, even for a whole sytem to cost that much makes most break out and laugh.

David

Agree, but I find it interesting that there are thousands (my guess) of high and higher end audio equipment companies, who exactly is buying all of these components at 10K a pop?

Well a tiny sliver of what could amount to 100 million+ people would still be a decent market, but I also wonder about the number of companies. In some, it could be a sideline. That is true of Mapleshade.

Absoutely. VERY few customers want anything even remotely that costly, even for a whole sytem to cost that much makes most break out and laugh.

Interestingly though a few will say what can I do for say $3-4k which seems a popular figure. With a bit of guidance (specifically to LISTEN to gear - all the rest is basically gloss and dross) they will go and get something. Then you see them a while later and often they have upgraded. I believe its a lot to do with exposure.

Thanks

Bill

The big difference between audio gear and other discretionary goods like cars or clothing (especially women's) is that the audio gear tends to retain it's utility for much longer and at virtually no maintenance cost. A set of $15k speakers should last 20 or more years and still have a good resale value at the end of it. Spread over their lifetime, that comes to maybe $10 per week real cost, not to mention the incalculable pleasure they afford during that time. A car, by contrast, is likely to be a wreck after that time and to have cost a small fortune in maintenance. Even a collectible, like a Porsche, will cost a lot to keep in as new condition. From my observation, most items of clothing get to be used a few times, then disappear forever into the back of the closet, or wherever it is that they go to die. (A handy argument in the spousal approval wars).

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

My wife buys clothes at Cross Dress for Less and suggests I should do the same with audio equipment.
I'll bet her annual clothes bill is still a lot more than the amortized cost of your audio gear.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

...and they don't even sound good

<Cough> Blasphemy!

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.