IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE Upgrade Revisited & Findings -- The Best Decision Unequivocally!

Hi Richard,

Their CC software was too invasive for my tastes (wanted part of your SSN) so I wrote them as well. They suggested I try the PayPal option and use my CC as normal. I had not seen that option the first time, so retried, found the PayPal option and was able purchase just like any other CC entry form.

They also said they are going to try and change their normal CC process.

HTH,

Tim

Yes, Tim, I noticed the Paypal alternative. But I am not a fan of PP. I had corresponded with Morton Lindberg who assured me the change in CC process would be a fait accompli. But that has yet to materialize. Perhaps, I am being too strident. But in my dealings with PayPal, they tell me one thing then do another. Such service does not impress me.

And the Dac2SE gobbles up DSD files and renders it beautifully. Cookie Marenco's DL's sound superb with my Dac2SE on my system. I am now over the 300 hour mark. And my focus will be on sorting out the various USB cables to find the one that sounds the best. Perhaps it may already be the one I am using (W4S USB).

Thank you again for the suggestion.

Best,

Richard

Yes, Tim, I noticed the Paypal alternative. But I am not a fan of PP ...

Hi Richard,

I do not use a PP account, I just use PP to process the CC without a PP account.

I have had too many issues with PP's accounts. I constantly got fraudulent PP fishing emails. I once got a PP credit card with a fake eBay charge on it that I never applied for (after my PP account was closed). The CC was already authorized to my home phone before the plastic arrived via snail mail. My lawyer told me hackers can spoof caller id to authorize CC's from alternate locations.

Currently listening to the HiRez "Stone Rose" album from 2L (nice piano and trumpet).

Sincerely,

Tim

Software: Realtime Debian 11-64, JRMC28-64, Custom VST3-64, CamillaDSP-64 (2x8 channel 64-bit FIR multi-pass convolution), RePhase, REW, Custom Driver Level DRC-FIR upgrades, JRMC CloudPlay, Pandora, Spotify, dBPowerAmp Reference,

2 Channel: A-Tech Fabrication i7-3770K/NVMe/Passive Cooling-No Moving Parts->OKTO DAC8 PRO->QuadAmping - MagTech/Mark Levinson #336/IcePower ASP1000->Magnepan 20.1's, NEO8's & OB/Dipole Subs

Home Theater: Anthem Statement D2V->W4S 7x1000->Magnepan 3.6's/CC3/MC2's+Martin Logan Descent I Subs

Office: Core-i7 3770S/SSD->Xonar Essence STX->W4S µDAC->W4S STI-1000->Magnepan Mini-Maggies

Garage: Dell Laptop->W4S uDAC->AdCom Amp->B&W Rock Solid

Love to hear what folks with experience with broken in Mytek and W4S DAC2SE have to say about their sonics.

Think I remember a post by Michal of Mytek and others speculating about the Mytek circuit with power supply and parts upgrades. Figures that W4S, with its upgrade business history, has stepped up to the plate with this SE edition.

Anyone own a W4S SE in Tampa Bay?

Tone with Soul

Hi Richard,

I do not use a PP account, I just use PP to process the CC without a PP account.

I have had too many issues with PP's accounts. I constantly got fraudulent PP fishing emails. I once got a PP credit card with a fake eBay charge on it that I never applied for (after my PP account was closed). The CC was already authorized to my home phone before the plastic arrived via snail mail. My lawyer told me hackers can spoof caller id to authorize CC's from alternate locations.

Currently listening to the HiRez "Stone Rose" album from 2L (nice piano and trumpet).

Sincerely,

Tim

Tim,

I had thought of that and did not want PP involved in any way. However, since Mr. Lindberg has yet to make it happen, perhaps, I will follow your lead and add some DSD 128 recordings that I was taken with.

Thank you.

Best,

Richard

Love to hear what folks with experience with broken in Mytek and W4S DAC2SE have to say about their sonics.

Think I remember a post by Michal of Mytek and others speculating about the Mytek circuit with power supply and parts upgrades. Figures that W4S, with its upgrade business history, has stepped up to the plate with this SE edition.

Anyone own a W4S SE in Tampa Bay?

Welcome to the thread.

Purchased my W4SDac2 in 2011. With the upgrade, the Dac2SE is another Dac without exaggeration. DSD is rendered sonically with grace. Integer mode works without any incident or impediments for 64/128 and the sonics are truly excellent.

And I get to keep my equipment with the benefit of upgrades and improvements that are not minor. The likelihood that my W4S preamp is next on their agenda for upgrade is high so that my STP-SE will no longer be the weak link. The upgrade will be consistent with the sonics of the Dac2SE which I have not read has disappointed anyone who followed through or who purchased a new unit.

Great idea to enquire at this thread if anyone in Tampa Bay has a W4S Dac2SE and an invitation to hear what the fuss is about. For your sake, hope someone finds you or you them. If you are in New York, you're welcome to listen to mine

; >}

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Richard - has there been an official announcement regarding W4S updating the STP-SE? If there is a link that you could provide or a ref to an email correspondence that you have had with them it would be appreciated. That pre amp is on my short list of components that I am considering. Thanks.

Richard - has there been an official announcement regarding W4S updating the STP-SE? If there is a link that you could provide or a ref to an email correspondence that you have had with them it would be appreciated. That pre amp is on my short list of components that I am considering. Thanks.

Booster MPS,

I purposefully posted in an artfully vague voice. There is no link presently that would take you to information about an STP-SE upgrade. Or published email. There is no date that I know of (yet). But one may be forth-coming in several weeks. I believe my STP-SE and an upgrade will coincide in the near future which will make me extremely happy for obvious reasons having upgraded my Dac2SE with the extraordinarily good results that followed. With an upgraded preamp, the marriage makes for even better SQ, performance and synergy.

Respectfully, may I suggest that you contact Clint Harmon at Wyred 4 Sound to obtain accurate and official information as I prefer to defer to Clint for what is W4S's official plan. ; >}

Good idea to put the STP-SE on your short list all things considered. Wish you good fortune with your decisions.

Best,

Richard

[email protected]

Thanks for the suggestion to reach out to Clint. I will do that to discuss my thoughts on upgrading. I have done a good bit of homework and think that the W4S Pre would be a solid choice. Thanks.

Booster MPS,

Thank you for your understanding. While I believe the upgraded STP-SE will be a solid choice, I believe a dialogue with Clint can provide information to help you make an informed decision and with specificity. Clint is an easy person to converse with, friendly and even by email can be helpful, however you choose to make contact. Let us know what you decide when a decision is practical.

Glad to be helpful to you in the ways that I can. BTW: I, too, did a lot of research before my original purchase and have no regrets. An upgrade is just icing on the cake!

Best,

Richard

I used to have W4S Dac2 for about a year or so. I now use a Anedio D2 dac with a SBT through usb input. Very happy with the result. I've few questions about the W4S Dac2 SE:

I don't care about DSD or high resolution performance. On the redbook material only for the following questions should be considered:

1. Does anyone can give a comparative impression of Dac2 SE vs Anedio D2 or Nad M51 or PWD MK II etc?

2. Dac2 SE will work with SBT through its USB input?

3. Dac2 SE input is equivalent to say, Audiphilleo 2, Legato I/II, Ben Canto reflink etc? What I'm trying to say is, if I use a outboard usb to spdif converter of something like Audiophilleo 2, would that be an improvement over going to USB straight to Dac2 SE?

I used to have W4S Dac2 for about a year or so. I now use a Anedio D2 dac with a SBT through usb input. Very happy with the result. I've few questions about the W4S Dac2 SE:

I don't care about DSD or high resolution performance. On the redbook material only for the following questions should be considered:

1. Does anyone can give a comparative impression of Dac2 SE vs Anedio D2 or Nad M51 or PWD MK II etc?

3. Dac2 SE input is equivalent to say, Audiphilleo 2, Legato I/II, Ben Canto reflink etc? What I'm trying to say is, if I use a outboard usb to spdif converter of something like Audiophilleo 2, would that be an improvement over going to USB straight to Dac2 SE?

shahed99,

Welcome to the thread.

Have you read any prior posts? I ask beause there are posts about the prior use of S/PDIFs with the original W4S Dac2; and for some users, their posts reflext the decision to dispense with the S/PDIF converters. One person used an Empirical Short block. I recommend, if you haven't perused this thread, that you do so. Perhaps some of your inquires may be answered or alluded to.

Now that you have posted three queries, perhaps, some one will provide you with some of the answers and concerns you have, or not. Feel free to keep us informed, if you care to, what you discover vis a vis external devices connected to the upgraded W4S Dac2SE and what benefits if any were assessed.

Best,

Richard

I use the Dac2SE with SBT using the EDO app option that outputs Async USB

Previously I used a good external USB->i2s converter, but the new internal converter on the DAC2SE beats even the outboard one.

It seems everyone on this thread is raving about the performance of the new internal converter - so would definitely not recommend hooking up an Audiophilleo or something like that

Richard,

There is a whole page of free downloads on 2L where you can compare PCM 24/96 vs PCM 24/192 vs DSD64 vs DSD128. All the downloads are free so no credit card required (I never submitted one)

The question I am trying to answer here is not some philisophical question about which is better, DSD or PCM? there are plenty of debates like that going on in various forums :)

My question is more narrowly tailored: which format does the DAC2SE do best with?

To answer that question, the 2L site is great, because both the PCM and DSD are created from the same original master recording, so should be a completely fair comparison.

If the DAC2SE performs truly better with DSD for example, then perhaps I would consider converting my Hdtracks files to DSD format.

So far I have done only one test, and cannot draw a sweeping conclusion from this by any means.

But the file from the same master recording in DSD format, seemed better to my ears, and I am curious what other have heard, if they have done this same Coke/Pepsi test? :)

Dan

Dan,

I downloaded 17 free files from 2L. Nine DSD 64, and eight 128. I found them very enjoyable. Not better than PCM 192/24. Not lesser. Different. The different was good. In other words I would buy DSD AND PCM. In fact I did purchase DSD DSF music from Blue Coast Records which I enjoy immensely. I also own Soundkeeper Recordings four Hi-Res 192/24, and thoroughly enjoy those. Now that my upgraded Dac2SE is enabled to play DSD 64/128 and Integer mode, which, candidly, is not as important to me, but that is not an issue, Inhave the best of ALL the worlds. N'est-ce pas?

I attempted to purchase several 2L DSD recordings after listening to those free DLs, desiring the entire albums, but 2L's credit card transaction software and my credit card issuing bank are not compatible. I emailed the head of 2L who told me he planned to remedy this incompatibility so I could spend even more money for music. But, alas, he did not follow through, much to my disappointment.

Not disagreeing with you, Dan. But in this case, it is not useful for me to get into comparisons that conclude with which is better. Rather, in my comparison, I conclude both are highly desirable; and I am now able to choose.

And I am not disagreeing with your assessment as I have the Mozart but not the DSD edition of that recording although I probably have a free track of the Mozart as one of the download.

Glad you are enjoying the DSD 128. I wish I could but my money's no good at 2L until they fix their transaction protocols.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

I use the Dac2SE with SBT using the EDO app option that outputs Async USB

Previously I used a good external USB->i2s converter, but the new internal converter on the DAC2SE beats even the outboard one.

It seems everyone on this thread is raving about the performance of the new internal converter - so would definitely not recommend hooking up an Audiophilleo or something like that

Thank you, Dan. I thought I remembered there was a post that would be relevant to shahed99's body of inquiries.

Best,

Richard

Richard,

There is a whole page of free downloads on 2L where you can compare PCM 24/96 vs PCM 24/192 vs DSD64 vs DSD128. All the downloads are free so no credit card required (I never submitted one)

The question I am trying to answer here is not some philisophical question about which is better, DSD or PCM? there are plenty of debates like that going on in various forums :)

My question is more narrowly tailored: which format does the DAC2SE do best with?

To answer that question, the 2L site is great, because both the PCM and DSD are created from the same original master recording, so should be a completely fair comparison.

If the DAC2SE performs truly better with DSD for example, then perhaps I would consider converting my Hdtracks files to DSD format.

So far I have done only one test, and cannot draw a sweeping conclusion from this by any means.

But the file from the same master recording in DSD format, seemed better to my ears, and I am curious what other have heard, if they have done this same Coke/Pepsi test? :)

Dan

Dan,

The distinction you make narrow or other eventually takes one to the same destination, which is clearly evident in your query, Coke or Pepsi ; >} even with the W4S Dac2SE as the fulcrum. That decision is a subjective one. I wondered about the sonic differences between DSD and PCM. I wondered about the differences between DSD 64 vs 128. Between 192/24 vs 96/24. For me, it is a mystery. I wish you good fortune in your quest. It is an ambitious project.

As I have expressed many times, referring to the lyrics of CSN, when I am not with the one I love, I love the one I am with. The one conclusion I have been able to arrive at with little effort is that the W4S Dac2SE renders either format family PCM and DSD with sonic excellence. And this outcome provided for by the upgrade is not mysterious and a source of deep appreciation for the talented W4S team. I have also weighed the advantage of Integer mode. Some find it indispensable. I enjoy having that operation enabled. But I prefer my first choice of software player which is not enabled with Integer mode, and in comparison, my preferred software player without Integer mode sounds closer to live music than the one with Integer mode. Different models of the world, which makes it all the more interesting.

If, when you do reach a verdict, please let us know. I am sure other W4S users will be curious. And it is not OT as long as the thread does not dwell on that focus. Your contributions have been very valuable as reflected by other posters.

Best,

Richard

AQ Diamond USB and Wireworld Platinum Starlight arrived in 1.5m lengths. Not waiting for the SR Tricon USB with active shielding and waste time as I only have them for approximately two (2) weeks.

I decided to start with the USB cables I am not familiar with and end with the W4S USB cable Inhave been listening to for the last (nearly) 30 days.

I am taking all the time I have been given.

To be continued.

Best,

Richard

Fair enough - - the decision of what one prefers is subjective. But hopefully, the observations would be fairly consistent: softer sound, more defined treble, whatever. . .

For example, I searched the forums on USB cables and found fairly consistent remarks regarding the Wireworld USB cable vs the AQ Diamond. Generally, everyone found the Wireworld to be more detailed, the AQ to be somewhat softer and more musical. Some preferred the extra detail of the Wireworld, some preferred the AQ - - but the comparisons are remarkably consistent.

So I am just wondering are there similar comparisons that can be drawn from PCM versus DSD on the DAC2SE?

Again, deferring what people prefer - that is a completely another topic I agree - but are there any consistent differences in sound, and if so what are they?

Dan,

The distinction you make narrow or other eventually takes one to the same destination, which is clearly evident in your query, Coke or Pepsi ; >} even with the W4S Dac2SE as the fulcrum. That decision is a subjective one. I wondered about the sonic differences between DSD and PCM. I wondered about the differences between DSD 64 vs 128. Between 192/24 vs 96/24. For me, it is a mystery. I wish you good fortune in your quest. It is an ambitious project.

As I have expressed many times, referring to the lyrics of CSN, when I am not with the one I love, I love the one I am with. The one conclusion I have been able to arrive at with little effort is that the W4S Dac2SE renders either format family PCM and DSD with sonic excellence. And this outcome provided for by the upgrade is not mysterious and a source of deep appreciation for the talented W4S team. I have also weighed the advantage of Integer mode. Some find it indispensable. I enjoy having that operation enabled. But I prefer my first choice of software player which is not enabled with Integer mode, and in comparison, my preferred software player without Integer mode sounds closer to live music than the one with Integer mode. Different models of the world, which makes it all the more interesting.

If, when you do reach a verdict, please let us know. I am sure other W4S users will be curious. And it is not OT as long as the thread does not dwell on that focus. Your contributions have been very valuable as reflected by other posters.

Best,

Richard

I received my USB cables from cableco yesterday as well.

My baseline is a cheap USB cable I had lying around the house that I connect to my SBT using ASync USB.

I started with testing the Wireworld - and wow - I was very impressed.

Honestly - I was a bit dubious that USB cables could make a difference with Async USB

My initial reaction was the music was more detailed, but at the same time was softer and more analog sounding.

Will continue to post my observations as I have chance to review. . .

Dan

AQ Diamond USB and Wireworld Platinum Starlight arrived in 1.5m lengths. Not waiting for the SR Tricon USB with active shielding and waste time as I only have them for approximately two (2) weeks.

I decided to start with the USB cables I am not familiar with and end with the W4S USB cable Inhave been listening to for the last (nearly) 30 days.

I am taking all the time I have been given.

To be continued.

Best,

Richard

dan92075,

How synchronistic in timing that we both received the same USB cables to audition from The Cable Company within a day of one another.

It will be interesting to discover which USB cable we each settle on and what determined that decision as we both are connecting up to our W4S Dac2SE. And similarly what format, if any, is favored; and what cable with what format sounds the best or is preferred. Not a soup question.

Kind of exciting, curious, if not intriquing ; >}. Given the parallel threads about truth in audio, USB cables, DSD vs PCM, our project demonstrates the diversity of what constitutes enjoyment of the music once we arrive at our individual assessments. Our criteria for what preferences deliver sonic excellence employing different components.

I do not perceive this as a shoot-out, which I have never understood or desired in terms of the greater outcome, to wit: What for each person constitutes enjoyment of music. In the hierarchy of the pursuit of computer audio excellence with enjoyment as the outcome, I believe that music is the thing and the equipment seduces. There is no "This is it!", unless one honors this is it for my criteria and the truth belongs to the listener. Then the fun begins. Like Chefs in a contest for who is the best based on the courses they create judged by a panel of critics. For me the value is not in which Chef is the best, in terms of the truth, rather, what courses on their menu I would order based on the "What" I enjoy.

Before publishing my findings, I will wait and assemble my experiences and perceptions of the USB cables and the contributions to the overall sonic rendition and what the combination of format and cable produces with the one constant being the W4S Dac2SE.

Other than to identify well-regarded USB cables and to seek bare recommendations, I have purposefully not read about the specifics of the performance of the cables I have chosen to audtion so that I might introduce each USB cable to my system and discover what results from their introduction. At the same time, changing formats which include PCM and DSD. Taking notes so I can keep the results organized and reliable rather than rely on memory.

This will be fun; and I mean to enjoy the process. It will also be interesting to share what you and others so inclined experience individually applying your own criteria and articulating your discernment. We can compare notes, if you care to in this thread.

Gentlemen, start your cables...

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard

See if you can get your hands on a Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy cryo-silver dual conduit USB 2.0 cable.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it sizes up against the other cables you mention.

I'm using it with my DAC2 with great results.

Started the USB cable project today with the AudioQuest Diamond. Hhere is clearly a difference between the Diamond USB and W4S USB cable. I could discern the difference in the first few moments. USB cables have their own signature sound that influences the SQ which the Dac2SE's clarity and better performance provides.

wikeeboy, The Cable Company, it appears, does not carry that manufacturer's cables (Revelation). I am familiar with the manufacturer only becuase Empirical Audio recommends their I2S cable. How to audition this cable? Perhaps a call to the manufacturer.

It is apparent to me that no matter how good the cable may be, if the recording is compromised that becomes obvious when being played and the sonic excellence of the components render what is fed to those components. the upgraded Dac2SE is patently better, thus, I am starting out with much improved SQ. this makes what has always been critical even more so, because, early on in the chain, it is so much better

With a change in USB cable I noticed the improvement. Whether the signature sound influenced by the cable compared tomother cables is the right one for my subjective preference requires the audition of them all. The SR USB Tricon has not been returned promptly, so now I must wait for that cable to be sent.

Based on the near immediacy of what the USB cable brings to the synergy of my system, I could actually pick a cable faster than I thought. Perhaps, years of listening attunes one's acuity such that differences are very noticeable sooner. This was not as apparent to me two years ago when first starting out with computer audio.

As the SR is not available, I may just switch to the Wireworld Platinum Starlight. I am curious now.

Best,

Richard

Emailed Revelation about the Prophecy cable. No reply. Changed audition USB cables. Now have Wireworld's Platinum Starlight. Very different from AQ Diamond. The W4S Dac2SE has an SQ that matches my preferences. Mating a USB cable that compliments those preferences requires not only the right cable but deciding which cable is right. Determined to enjoy the process. Using my iPhone 4S is not fun for posting.

Best,

Richard

To be clear, the upgrade is important in this particular perspective: What the original W4S Dac2 provided in terms of SQ is what it is. For me, the baseline SQ delivered an SQ I assessed as very satisfactory. Are there better Dacs? Of course there are. That is not the point. For the price point, for what I personally require to keep the component in my system, the original Dac2 delivered. Purchasing a superlative USB cable can not improve what is not there. Anyone disagree with that perspective? I am fairly, reasonably and appropriately disappointed with a manufacturer that promotes a cable that I purchased in 2011 that was designed specifically for digital 44.1 kHz when in fact Hi-Res was clearly established. So you can appreciate what I am articulating, the head designer informed me of this of his own volition, suggesting I audition his latest, greatest USB cable. How generous of him to offer me the opportunity to spend more money for a cabke that two years ago was useless two years later that requires me to replace. You can decide for yourselves what is fair and reasonable. Considering the cable I purchased from W4S two years later that was offered two years before that was compatible with my upgraded Dac2Se presently permits me to take this perspective.

But here is the rub: That expensive USB that is now useless to me delivered an SQ in combination with the Dac2 that I preferred. No reason to say more.

The outcome ofnthis particular post is to acknowledge that with the upgarded Dac2SE, the SQ that emenates is far superior from the original Dac2. Therefore, the USB cable I choose either compliments or compromises that new baseline for SQ. I may feel disadvantaged. I may feel the offer to audition an upgraded USB cable is a hollow offer considering the money I spent for a cable that was hobbled at best despite its performance, but my outcome is not to get even. My outcome is to assemble the best system that delivers the best SQ, and thus the enjoyment of the music I enjoy. If I eventually end up with the same manufacturer, so be it. I stated I would not publish my findings prematurely. But presently, I am not unhappy, ; >}, with a manufacturer whise name is not SR.

The upgraded Dac is essential to my outcome, now what is essential is to keep the synergy consistent with what I change and / or add to it.

That is pretty clear! Any views are welcome consistent with what improves as long as it does promote what theories about what is illusory or subjective vs objective are concerned. Anyone?

Best,

Richard

To be clear, the upgrade is important in this particular perspective: What the original W4S Dac2 provided in terms of SQ is what it is. For me, the baseline SQ delivered an SQ I assessed as very satisfactory. Are there better Dacs? Of course there are. That is not the point. For the price point, for what I personally require to keep the component in my system, the original Dac2 delivered. Purchasing a superlative USB cable can not improve what is not there. Anyone disagree with that perspective? I am fairly, reasonably and appropriately disappointed with a manufacturer that promotes a cable that I purchased in 2011 that was designed specifically for digital 44.1 kHz when in fact Hi-Res was clearly established. So you can appreciate what I am articulating, the head designer informed me of this of his own volition, suggesting I audition his latest, greatest USB cable. How generous of him to offer me the opportunity to spend more money for a cabke that two years ago was useless two years later that requires me to replace. You can decide for yourselves what is fair and reasonable. Considering the cable I purchased from W4S two years later that was offered two years before that was compatible with my upgraded Dac2Se presently permits me to take this perspective.

But here is the rub: That expensive USB that is now useless to me delivered an SQ in combination with the Dac2 that I preferred. No reason to say more.

The outcome ofnthis particular post is to acknowledge that with the upgarded Dac2SE, the SQ that emenates is far superior from the original Dac2. Therefore, the USB cable I choose either compliments or compromises that new baseline for SQ. I may feel disadvantaged. I may feel the offer to audition an upgraded USB cable is a hollow offer considering the money I spent for a cable that was hobbled at best despite its performance, but my outcome is not to get even. My outcome is to assemble the best system that delivers the best SQ, and thus the enjoyment of the music I enjoy. If I eventually end up with the same manufacturer, so be it. I stated I would not publish my findings prematurely. But presently, I am not unhappy, ; >}, with a manufacturer whise name is not SR.

The upgraded Dac is essential to my outcome, now what is essential is to keep the synergy consistent with what I change and / or add to it.

That is pretty clear! Any views are welcome consistent with what improves as long as it does promote what theories about what is illusory or subjective vs objective are concerned. Anyone?

Best,

Richard

I'd like to hear which you prefer with the DAC-2 DSD SE, the Audioquest Diamond or Wireworld Platinum. Enjoy your journey!

I'd like to hear which you prefer with the DAC-2 DSD SE, the Audioquest Diamond or Wireworld Platinum. Enjoy your journey.

Jrsub

Thank you. I am. The hindrance involves the absence of the latest SR Tricon USB cable with active shielding. Someone has failed to return that cable to The Cable Company and it is overdue by several weeks. TCC apparently has only one of these cables, which is strange, but that is not the import of my message. The unavailability slows me down. The manufacturer of the Prophecy cable recommended by wikeeboy did not even bother to answer my email which I sent asking how to audition that cable. Would not be the first time a well intended email was ignored by a manufacturer.

After I receive the Tricon and compare it to the AQ Diamond and Wireworld Platinum Starlight, I will be happy to post my findings. The project is very interesting to me for several reasons. Ignoring the obvious tangential reasons, each cable does have a sound signature and mates with W4S Dac2SE. The challenge is to not only differentiate between those sonic signatures which is the easiest step, but to then choose which is the preferred sonic outcome. Both, so far, are highly enjoyable listening and very different with discernible characteristics. Which one is the one over time I want in my system.

The more resolving the Dac, the more each cable adds, the harder for me to decide as they are both excellent and different. What will the Tricon offer? I would love to find out. If only the customer of TCC would respect other customers who would avail themselves of the same benefit. Is that person reading this post?

Best,

Richard

Thank you. I am. The hindrance involves the absence of the latest SR Tricon USB cable with active shielding. Someone has failed to return that cable to The Cable Company and it is overdue by several weeks. TCC apparently has only one of these cables, which is strange, but that is not the import of my message. The unavailability slows me down.

Best,

Richard

How fortunate for you to have access to TCC's library. My local dealer is very generous with allowing me to audition cables at home, but in this case my choices were limited to Cardas (which I had previously purchased and recently sold) and Siltech (which was ridiculously expensive at $1400). So, I have to pay to play and ordered an AQ Diamond sight unseen (and obviously unheard) two weeks ago and it has yet to arrive.

Enjoy the opportunity to audition these world class cables (hopefully simultaneously and at very little out of pocket expense). I am sure that I speak for many when I say that appreciate the findings posted here which help guide my purchasing decisions without having the luxury of actually auditioning them. Looking forward to your comments on all three cables of interest.

Todd

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA