IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE Upgrade Revisited & Findings -- The Best Decision Unequivocally!

How fortunate for you to have access to TCC's library. My local dealer is very generous with allowing me to audition cables at home, but in this case my choices were limited to Cardas (which I had previously purchased and recently sold) and Siltech (which was ridiculously expensive at $1400). So, I have to pay to play and ordered an AQ Diamond sight unseen (and obviously unheard) two weeks ago and it has yet to arrive.

Enjoy the opportunity to audition these world class cables (hopefully simultaneously and at very little out of pocket expense). I am sure that I speak for many when I say that appreciate the findings posted here which help guide my purchasing decisions without having the luxury of actually auditioning them. Looking forward to your comments on all three cables of interest.

Todd

The TCC catalogue of cables is unavailable to you for auditioning because you reside in Canada? BTW: My mother was Canadian so I am part Canadian ; >}. Has your dealer arranged with AQ to drop ship to you? In the USA, in the past, AQ has dropped shipped directly to me as they make their cables to order.

If I ever get to audition the Tricon, then I will publish my findings and we can compare our assessment of the AQ Diamond USB cable, even if our systems are different, we have the same Dac and compare the sonic characteristics if not the precise SQ.

$1400 for a Siltech? Ah, it is all relative. Perhaps pocket change for some. Wonder, though, if the results make it worth the price. Not all cables are equal. Not all Dacs are equal. But the best possible SQ is so seductive and when the Sirens call, lash me to the mast ; >}!

Best,

Richard

Just wondering, I wonder is there are noticeable sonic differences between the NEW DAC2 DSD and the NEW DAC2SE DSD dacs ?

Notwithstanding the price differential, I wonder what would motivate one to add DSD and ignore the advantages the entire upgrade accomplishes? Does that not defeat the outcome for rendering better SQ and total performance the quality advantages of enabling DSD delivers?

Perhaps, the rationale is that the original Dac2 delivers satisfactory SQ and performance and DSD is now enabled. But not Integer mode, fwiw? Would not the whole equal the sum of the parts? mav52's question begs that perspective. There should be a considerable advantage overall.

In either case, there is no way to discern the difference without both units in tow.

mav52, I realize your curiosity is rhetorically oriented. The only answer would come from W4S in response to your query or someone who has both units and can provide the comparison.

I was hoping to attract EJ and Clint to post here and favor us with their product knowledge and expertise. If they are reading this thread, and I invited them to do so, please comment on mav52's question, if they care to.

Best,

Richard

The TCC catalogue of cables is unavailable to you for auditioning because you reside in Canada? BTW: My mother was Canadian so I am part Canadian ; >}. Has your dealer arranged with AQ to drop ship to you? In the USA, in the past, AQ has dropped shipped directly to me as they make their cables to order.

If I ever get to audition the Tricon, then I will publish my findings and we can compare our assessment of the AQ Diamond USB cable, even if our systems are different, we have the same Dac and compare the sonic characteristics if not the precise SQ.

$1400 for a Siltech? Ah, it is all relative. Perhaps pocket change for some. Wonder, though, if the results make it worth the price. Not all cables are equal. Not all Dacs are equal. But the best possible SQ is so seductive and when the Sirens call, lash me to the mast ; >}!

Best,

Richard

i'm an American living outside of Toronto for the last 5 years. I'm pretty sure TCC'S library is only available in the US. My dealer had to go through the Canadian distributor, who in turn had to order the cable from AQ in the US. The cable was shipped to the distributor yesterday and it should arrive at my dealer sometime next week. Shipping in Canada is unbelievably expensive (like most things here) and I somehow doubt AQ would drop ship it given the customs, HST tax, broker fees, etc. that have to be paid. I suppose it could be done but it would cost me....

The Siltech is highly recommended by my dealer and I trust his opinion on these things. I didn't bother listening to it because I really don't want to drop that kind of money on a USB cable and knowing me I would fall in love with it and buy it anyway. Not that the AQ was much less at $835 retail plus 13% GST for a 1.5m run...boy I hope it sounds decent.

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

i'm an American living outside of Toronto for the last 5 years. I'm pretty sure TCC'S library is only available in the US. My dealer had to go through the Canadian distributor, who in turn had to order the cable from AQ in the US. The cable was shipped to the distributor yesterday and it should arrive at my dealer sometime next week. Shipping in Canada is unbelievably expensive (like most things here) and I somehow doubt AQ would drop ship it given the customs, HST tax, broker fees, etc. that have to be paid. I suppose it could be done but it would cost me....

The Siltech is highly recommended by my dealer and I trust his opinion on these things. I didn't bother listening to it because I really don't want to drop that kind of money on a USB cable and knowing me I would fall in love with it and buy it anyway. Not that the AQ was much less at $835 retail plus 13% GST for a 1.5m run...boy I hope it sounds decent.

Todd,

There is obviously a price differential (a considerable one) based on the price you mention for the AQ Diamond here in the States. That is so unfair. A member at CA who PM's me from time to time also relates how expensive the same items available in the States are in the Ukraine. The distributors add to that cost? And the excise tax, import tax, tax on taxes.

Your last comment got to me. Although my intentions are to publish all USB cable findings at once, I listened to the AQ Diamond for a day. The first few seconds were telling. And over time as my senses adjusted to a different sonic signature added to my system, replacing the one provided by the W4S USB cable for nearly thirty (30) days, for your purposes, the AQ Diamond renders an SQ that is more than decent. You realize, of course, my assessment is subjective at best. And I do not know what sonic signature (my term) you prefer; or what you are used to; or what motivated you to seek another USB cable. Granted with all those unknowns, I can say with confidence that the AQ delivers excellent SQ added to my system feeding my W4S Dac2SE. Whether or not I will choose the AQ Diamond is not known to me yet and not the purpose of my remarks at this time. Merely to offer my perspective, if that is helpful for you. I appreciate your concern; and I am staggered by the economics imposed on us by location, governments, and trade practices etc. that is not helpful for you or meant to add negatively to your situation. Rather in support.

Enjoy the AQ Diamond and the music. BTW: If you care to comment, what prompted you to order a 1.5m vs 1.0m length? Distance to? Recommended length as proposed by some that 1.5m is the better length?

Best,

Richard

I do not think you will be disappointed. I replaced my W4S USB, which was a decent cable, with the Diamond. Acoustics sparkle like never before, very smooth cable with tons of detail. Well worth the price of admission IMHO.

jrsub and Todd,

I agree with this assessment. I believe dan92075 expressed a similar impression as well. Or maybe was merely relating Other's impressions he read about. Then it becomes a matter of personal preference. Please enjoy your new cable and let us know what your assessment is with the Diamond and the W4S Dac2SE mated.

Best,

Richard

Todd,

There is obviously a price differential (a considerable one) based on the price you mention for the AQ Diamond here in the States. That is so unfair. A member at CA who PM's me from time to time also relates how expensive the same items available in the States are in the Ukraine. The distributors add to that cost? And the excise tax, import tax, tax on taxes.

Your last comment got to me. Although my intentions are to publish all USB cable findings at once, I listened to the AQ Diamond for a day. The first few seconds were telling. And over time as my senses adjusted to a different sonic signature added to my system, replacing the one provided by the W4S USB cable for nearly thirty (30) days, for your purposes, the AQ Diamond renders an SQ that is more than decent. You realize, of course, my assessment is subjective at best. And I do not know what sonic signature (my term) you prefer; or what you are used to; or what motivated you to seek another USB cable. Granted with all those unknowns, I can say with confidence that the AQ delivers excellent SQ added to my system feeding my W4S Dac2SE. Whether or not I will choose the AQ Diamond is not known to me yet and not the purpose of my remarks at this time. Merely to offer my perspective, if that is helpful for you. I appreciate your concern; and I am staggered by the economics imposed on us by location, governments, and trade practices etc. that is not helpful for you or meant to add negatively to your situation. Rather in support.

Enjoy the AQ Diamond and the music. BTW: If you care to comment, what prompted you to order a 1.5m vs 1.0m length? Distance to? Recommended length as proposed by some that 1.5m is the better length?

Best,

Richard

The retail price of goods here seems to be about 20% higher than in the US. I think it started as the approximate steady state differential between the currencies. Duties, taxes, brokerage, etc. are on top of that. Good dealers will discount for good customers, so it's not all bad, and certainly not nearly as bad as the pricing for my buddies in EMEA.

Your second point is interesting. My point is that I value the posts of those that choose to share their experiences. I actually ordered the AQ before you posted, a decision based on other posts and reviews. The purchase is probably the closest thing to a no brainer based on those reviews. Will it be a match for my system? Probably. Will it be the best match? I have no idea, but again I don't have the luxury of easily trying the others.

The 1.5m length for me is purely a distance requirement.

Todd

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Thank you. I am. The hindrance involves the absence of the latest SR Tricon USB cable with active shielding. Someone has failed to return that cable to The Cable Company and it is overdue by several weeks. TCC apparently has only one of these cables, which is strange, but that is not the import of my message. The unavailability slows me down. The manufacturer of the Prophecy cable recommended by wikeeboy did not even bother to answer my email which I sent asking how to audition that cable. Would not be the first time a well intended email was ignored by a manufacturer.

After I receive the Tricon and compare it to the AQ Diamond and Wireworld Platinum Starlight, I will be happy to post my findings. The project is very interesting to me for several reasons. Ignoring the obvious tangential reasons, each cable does have a sound signature and mates with W4S Dac2SE. The challenge is to not only differentiate between those sonic signatures which is the easiest step, but to then choose which is the preferred sonic outcome. Both, so far, are highly enjoyable listening and very different with discernible characteristics. Which one is the one over time I want in my system.

The more resolving the Dac, the more each cable adds, the harder for me to decide as they are both excellent and different. What will the Tricon offer? I would love to find out. If only the customer of TCC would respect other customers who would avail themselves of the same benefit. Is that person reading this post?

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I have a SR USB cable from TCC - I just got it this week and it is due for return next week - as I outlined in an earlier post here. Definitely not overdue!

In contrast, they were not able to send me the AQ Diamond because they said that one was overdue! :)

We need to swap!

-Dan

Hi Richard,

I have a SR USB cable from TCC - I just got it this week and it is due for return next week - as I outlined in an earlier post here. Definitely not overdue!

In contrast, they were not able to send me the AQ Diamond because they said that one was overdue! :)

We need to swap!

-Dan

Dan,

Three weeks ago, I called TCC where I buy 99.9% of my cables to request three cables: SR Tricon, AQ Diamond, Wireworld Platinum Starlight. At the time, I was informed in a week the SR Tricon was due back and would be sent to me automatically. Ten days later, no cable. I called the beginning of last week to inquire. I was informed the cable had not been returned, was overdue and the individual had been emailed but had not responded. TCC sent me the other two cables on Wednesday last. The AQ Diamond and Wireworld Platinum are due back July 8th. I called Thursday last and my salesman barked at me that there was nothing he could do about the Tricon which had not been returned, exclaiming there was only one of them. One? I only called to get a sense of the time frame. He was having a bad day and apologized to me.

I am hoping to have all three at the same time which is what I orchestrated so I can easily compare them without having to rely on memory. That you were told a similar story about the AQ which I have only had since last Wednesday, is a bit troubling. Did not see your post refering to the SR in this thread. Where is it? And I was obviously not referring to you when I referred to the SR Tricon. I had no idea you were auditioning the Tricon. TCC offered to extend my loan time to make up for the delay in sending me the Tricon. What an unpleasant state of affairs.

Ah the trials and tribulations with auditioning popular USB cables.

Best,

Richard

The retail price of goods here seems to be about 20% higher than in the US. I think it started as the approximate steady state differential between the currencies. Duties, taxes, brokerage, etc. are on top of that. Good dealers will discount for good customers, so it's not all bad, and certainly not nearly as bad as the pricing for my buddies in EMEA.

Your second point is interesting. My point is that I value the posts of those that choose to share their experiences. I actually ordered the AQ before you posted, a decision based on other posts and reviews. The purchase is probably the closest thing to a no brainer based on those reviews. Will it be a match for my system? Probably. Will it be the best match? I have no idea, but again I don't have the luxury of easily trying the others.

The 1.5m length for me is purely a distance requirement.

Todd

Good fortune with your Diamond. May it make your music sparkle in the best sense of preferred SQ. Let us know how you experience its introduction to your system. New cables in my experience have a break-in period. I imagine even from the beginning you can discern what the mating produces. It can only get better after that, if it starts off positively for you.

Interestingly, for thhe Black Cat BNC coax cable the recommendationnfor best results was the 1.5m length, which is, in fact, the only starting length. Not the case with the Diamond. Just inquiring.

Enjoy the music.

Richard

Dan,

Three weeks ago, I called TCC where I buy 99.9% of my cables to request three cables: SR Tricon, AQ Diamond, Wireworld Platinum Starlight. At the time, I was informed in a week the SR Tricon was due back and would be sent to me automatically. Ten days later, no cable. I called the beginning of last week to inquire. I was informed the cable had not been returned, was overdue and the individual had been emailed but had not responded. TCC sent me the other two cables on Wednesday last. The AQ Diamond and Wireworld Platinum are due back July 8th. I called Thursday last and my salesman barked at me that there was nothing he could do about the Tricon which had not been returned, exclaiming there was only one of them. One? I only called to get a sense of the time frame. He was having a bad day and apologized to me.

I am hoping to have all three at the same time which is what I orchestrated so I can easily compare them without having to rely on memory. That you were told a similar story about the AQ which I have only had since last Wednesday, is a bit troubling. Did not see your post refering to the SR in this thread. Where is it? And I was obviously not referring to you when I referred to the SR Tricon. I had no idea you were auditioning the Tricon. TCC offered to extend my loan time to make up for the delay in sending me the Tricon. What an unpleasant state of affairs.

Ah the trials and tribulations with auditioning popular USB cables.

Best,

Richard

I am auditioning the synergistic research active USB cable. I don't know if this is "Tricon" but as far as I know SR only has one USB cable so I assuming we are discussing the same thing.

Overall, I think I am close to concluding my audition, here are my results so far:

Cardas Clear: small improvement over my stock cable, slightly better noise floor

Wireworld Starlight: Wow! Amazingly low noise floor. Lots of detail because of low noise floor. Very vibrant and energetic sound! It just feels with this cable that every digital bit is making it through perfectly. There shielding of signal and power lines, and exemplary matching of signal lines is evident. I am not sure one can do any better than this cable, at least not in my system.

SR Active: I tried all 3 pellets and they were only slightly different. The same general house sound existed with each. The soundstage was, as advertised, more broad and 3D. However the noise floor is not as low as with the Wireworld. Being an engineer, this makes me suspicious that they are jury-rigging something like advancing/retarding the high frequencies to double count bits or something like that. I thought it was an artificial sound that reminded me of one of those Jazz or Cathedral modes on your receiver that you try out once and then never use again.

Also it definitely lacked the liveliness of the Wireworld.

It's possible I am being colored by my engineering background but I feel every digital bit should go through as designed and not mucked around with, which I strongly suspect they are doing with this cable.

Anyway - the clear winner for me is the Wireworld. I truly feel they have done an exemplary job of making sure that every digital bit goes through perfectly. The resulting low noise floor is really exciting, and makes for a very enjoyable sound. I am probably not going to even audition the AQ at this point. I think I am sold on Wireworld Starlight.

I am auditioning the synergistic research active USB cable. I don't know if this is "Tricon" but as far as I know SR only has one USB cable so I assuming we are discussing the same thing.

Overall, I think I am close to concluding my audition, here are my results so far:

Cardas Clear: small improvement over my stock cable, slightly better noise floor

Wireworld Starlight: Wow! Amazingly low noise floor. Lots of detail because of low noise floor. Very vibrant and energetic sound! It just feels with this cable that every digital bit is making it through perfectly. There shielding of signal and power lines, and exemplary matching of signal lines is evident. I am not sure one can do any better than this cable, at least not in my system.

SR Active: I tried all 3 pellets and they were only slightly different. The same general house sound existed with each. The soundstage was, as advertised, more broad and 3D. However the noise floor is not as low as with the Wireworld. Being an engineer, this makes me suspicious that they are jury-rigging something like advancing/retarding the high frequencies to double count bits or something like that. I thought it was an artificial sound that reminded me of one of those Jazz or Cathedral modes on your receiver that you try out once and then never use again.

Also it definitely lacked the liveliness of the Wireworld.

It's possible I am being colored by my engineering background but I feel every digital bit should go through as designed and not mucked around with, which I strongly suspect they are doing with this cable.

Anyway - the clear winner for me is the Wireworld. I truly feel they have done an exemplary job of making sure that every digital bit goes through perfectly. The resulting low noise floor is really exciting, and makes for a very enjoyable sound. I am probably not going to even audition the AQ at this point. I think I am sold on Wireworld Starlight.

Dan,

Thank you for an excellent review. By excellent, I refer to the way you express your experience. For me you make it clear and real using sensory specific terms. I also appreciate learning that you are an engineer bringing a certain perspective an awareness of not only how a cable "sounds" but what may contribute to the sound technologically, if that is a valid observation by me.

I needed to audition all the cables I am interested in so that I do not wonder "what if". This is the way I take care of being me. Though after listening to the Wireworld I had the same impulse. AQ Diamond is highly commendable and offers a different SQ signature that depending on personal preference fits or not. For me, there is no right or wrong, only what sounds best to me, as I imagine we all desire this for our outcome.

I hope TCC did not hold up your opportunity to audition the Diamond because they sent that cable to me. That would not make sense for customer relations to make us wait because of insufficient numbers of cable loaners. I doubt they would allow me to ship it to you when I am done rather than return the cable to them first.

In any case, thank you for a detailed review. I noticed some changes sonically with Wireworld and certain software players. More about that when I complete my audition project.

With appreciation,

Richard

Hi Richard

I enquired (on your behalf!) about the RAL usb cable yesterday and received a response promptly.

I enquired through Audiogon. Brad from RAL responded. His email is [email protected] and username on Audiogon is vtech2000.

They are in Florida and provide a 30 day risk free purchase/return.

I use mine with my DAC2. Hopefully soon my DAC2SE ;-)

It has a separate cable for the 5v power and another for the audio signal. So you plug 2 usb ends into your computer, and one point into your dac.

The cost is considerably cheaper (i think?) than the others you are trying. Definitely worth a listen.

Interested to hear your thoughts if you can get your hands on one!

Hi Richard

I enquired (on your behalf!) about the RAL usb cable yesterday and received a response promptly.

I enquired through Audiogon. Brad from RAL responded. His email is [email protected] and username on Audiogon is vtech2000.

They are in Florida and provide a 30 day risk free purchase/return.

I use mine with my DAC2. Hopefully soon my DAC2SE ;-)

It has a separate cable for the 5v power and another for the audio signal. So you plug 2 usb ends into your computer, and one point into your dac.

The cost is considerably cheaper (i think?) than the others you are trying. Definitely worth a listen.

Interested to hear your thoughts if you can get your hands on one!

wikeeboy

Thank you very much for the information. I visited the Revelation Audio Lab website, read about the cable and emailed Brad. Brad never responded to my email. However, you have been very helpful with your post. I was so what dismayed by the absence of a response from Brad as I wrote a fairly comprehensive email. In any case, I wondered if there would be something in the order of buy and try and return if...when I am done auditioning the several cables I am involved with presently, I will decide whether I am 100% taken by a choice, or not. A thirty day risk free policy is very reasonable.

You are very considerate to take the time to inform me of the information you provided in your post. Please allow me some time to sort this matter out. Glad that you are so satisfied with your purchase and use of the Prophecy.

With appreciation,

Richard

Design a project, i.e., selecting a USB cable to mate with the sound signature of a newly upgraded Dac and one is presented with even more nuances that compliment an expanded project that presents itself for the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. In other words, the synergy of the system includes each element. And each element contributes to the SQ that ultimately emanates from the speakers. One's focus may be directed to a singular component. But change one element and the system can be changed after the equal (=) sign = The result. What I am getting at is that the head bone is connected to the neck bone is connected to the...I have noticed that as I audition USB cables for my newly upgraded Dac2SE, each cable produces a different sonic signature taken as a whole. There's more. With the Dac2SE and its sonic signature, depending on the audio software player I employ, the USB cable in combination with the software audio players changes the characteristics of the sonic signature, i.e., more bloom, less bloom, dry/strident etc. There's more. The audio software player version and build employed changes the sonic signature.

The project is still fun but has become a bit more complicated than I contemplated. And that is a good awareness for me. Read other threads and what I am contending with is reflected often with a narrower focus, i.e., one build vs. another; one Dac vs another, servers and...

I am, therefore, selecting more than just a USB cable and will accomplish much more than I realized at the start. This is a good thing.

Best,

Richard

I feel disadvantaged by the absence of the third USB cable I want to audition. Two years ago, anything I wanted to audition was practically in my lap within days. Perhaps, the computer audio community has grown so large that demand for product to audition requires one to get on line.

I have decided against purchasing the Revelation Prophecy USB cable as I prefer not to purchase a product in order to audition it. This is not a critical comment about Revelation as I can appreciate what a manufacturer is willing to do or not. In the same way, that I can avoid purchasing a product I may seek to return. What I am struggling with is getting the SR Tricon USB cable so that I can complete the audition process. It is beyond my control. Perhaps, I'll call TCC tomorrow and get yelled at again. Prefer to have the cable to audition.

Sorry for the delay in publishing my findings. It appears that visitors to the thread remain, but, for some reason, comments, contributions etc. have slowed to a halt. Was it something I said? ; >]

For the record, comments are welcome.

Best,

Richard

I am enjoying your current cable journey, Richard. I have nothing to add since I do not have the SE version. Thanks for leading the thread!

Eric

Upgradeus Interruptus.....

PS Audio Directstream DSD DAC, PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio BHK 300 Monos, Aurender A10, MacMini, Roon, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest Diamond USB, AudioQuest CastleRock Speaker cables, AudioQuest MacKenzie interconnects.

I am enjoying your current cable journey, Richard. I have nothing to add since I do not have the SE version. Thanks for leading the thread!

Eric

Hello Eric,

BTW: Eric is my middle name. Thank you for your kind comments. I am feeling uncomfortable about the delay in providing the results of my project, despite the fact that I am not in control of the schedule for delivery of the products, even though I took pains to make that happen sooner than later. I am debating on whether to change the sequencing and report what I am able to assess. If my concern sounds as if I am taking myself too seriously and that there is no one hanging on the findings, it's not about that. Rather, I wanted to provide a comprehensive report and leave the value up to the reader.

There are a variety of scenarios that have some relevance to us all as hobbyists, enthusiasts with a variety of different perspectives and subjective preferences. For example, Todd living in Canada does not have access to the variety of cables I have because TCC does not service a potential customer outside the USA. He courageously ordered the AQ Diamond on faith alone having read reviews. Some manufacturers require one to purchase their product and balance that with a liberal return policy. Except, it takes more than 30 days for a cable to break-in, although one can get a sensory impression of the sonic signature out of the box. Auditioning cables provided by TCC allows one to employ, for my particular project, a cable already broken in.

Given the expanding availability of formats, i.e., PCM with higher resolutions; DSD formats and equipment that is being developed to render 2.88/5.76/11.52kHz and computer audio software players evolving, the potential for rendering SQ and ultimately one's enjoyment of their music library is a work in progress. With prices as little as Twenty Dollars and into the Thousands for components, one makes a commitment with the understanding that at a moment in time, the best may or may not be the better over time.

So far, each time I employ a USB cable, I can discern a certain result. That result is influenced as well by the quality of the recording selected and I have to remind myself that it may not be the cable but the quality of the recording. The same cable with the same recording played through different computer audio software players and different builds render different characteristics. I have to remind myself that once I commit to a USB cable; and I change software players and I play a favorite recording but it sounds "off", i.e., the bloom disappeared that was there when played through a different software players that I did not make a mistake. Or which cable will be the one that regardless of the player provides a consistent SQ I prefer.

I mention this because it has already occurred. And at Six Hundred Dollars for the cable I am presently considering, I was a bit confused. I employed two different computer audio software players set to what is generally agreed as the preferred settings. Granted one can still adjust parameters. And with one player the SQ was Wow! And with the other, the SQ was Ah OH! What about this? Do I commit? The other cable, as expensive, was generally more forgiving with each player but the SQ was not as preferred. Considering how many cables which might be suitable that I am not even aware of or are more difficult to audition, Good Lord...I did write I was having fun.

Presently, Wireworld Platinum Starlight is the preferred USB cable with AQ Diamond the second. Certain builds of certain a software player has affected the Wireworld's bloom, meaning it sounded "dry", "flat" for lack of a better description. And not what I prefer. The AQ Diamond is more forgiving but the detail in comparison is not as dynamic. The most forgiving is the W4S USB cable for a third of the price. I am purposefully avoiding naming the computer audio software players because I do not want to invite OT posts. The thread is about the upgraded Dac2SE. And if I have opened the thread up to comments about USB cables is it not fair to open it to software players, speakers? Trying to keep the thread within certain bounds not to keep us from exploring what the big picture can be.

If I had the SR Tricon USB cable with active shielding, I could provide a narrow report as it pertains to three USB cables without discounting other USB cables that other members prefer. I would not presume to recommend one cable over the other. Merely report what I preferred for my system which includes the W4S Dac2SE which those of us who also employ might be interested in exploring. I also hoped to inspire Others to contribute their USB cable preferences and experiences allowing for different system components and preferred other elements. My signature describes my system so one can discern what the big picture includes.

That's it for now.

Best,

Richard

All parts of the chain matter. I am very pleased with Amarra for my mac and JRiver 18 for the PC use. YMMV. I have a number of custom cables for my headphones. Toxic Cables have become my personal favorite company. (Toxic Cables ) I have been very pleased with Audioquest's USB cables and will likely continue to use them going forward.

Not sure how much I am going to seek out DSD for DSD's sake. If it takes off and DSD files are more accessible then that would be great. I have many SACD's/DVD-Audio/DTS discs and a number of Hi-Rez primarily in FLAC or AIFF from HDtracks that feed the quality meter.

It seems you have a lot more fun spending time with critical comparisons. at the moment, I am doing more listening, primarily with my HD800's. There are times when the inner hobbiest wants to come out and play and then I can spend a weekend in A/B bliss. Lately I just wanted to groove...:)

PS Audio Directstream DSD DAC, PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio BHK 300 Monos, Aurender A10, MacMini, Roon, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest Diamond USB, AudioQuest CastleRock Speaker cables, AudioQuest MacKenzie interconnects.

At 100 hours:

Tonal qualities have not changed. I have noticed a more relaxed presentation. On a very positive note, some tracks are throwing a huge sound stage. Eva Cassidy's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" from "Songbird" (16/44 Qobuz download) is shockingly good, just a huge wall of sound filling the room. Goosebump good with beautiful transparency.

I tried my Windows PC running JRiver again with better results. It doesn't sound nearly as good as my MacBook Pro, but it is making decent music. I don't think I'm going to spend much time with the PC going forward, it's just not in the same league with the MBP.

Still waiting on the AQ Diamond USB cable to arrive.

Todd

At 200 hours:

Nothing really to report, it sounds about the same at 200 hours as it did at 100 hours. One interesting point is the relative consistency I experienced during the break-in of the SE. I recall the roller-coaster performance of the original DAC2, some days were great, some were less than great. With the SE, I did not hear wild fluctuations in performance. My SE was largely broken in at 50 hours and developed a more relaxed flow at 100 hours.

Still waiting on the AQ Diamond USB cable....

Todd

All parts of the chain matter. I am very pleased with Amarra for my mac and JRiver 18 for the PC use. YMMV. I have a number of custom cables for my headphones. Toxic Cables have become my personal favorite company. (Toxic Cables ) I have been very pleased with Audioquest's USB cables and will likely continue to use them going forward.

Not sure how much I am going to seek out DSD for DSD's sake. If it takes off and DSD files are more accessible then that would be great. I have many SACD's/DVD-Audio/DTS discs and a number of Hi-Rez primarily in FLAC or AIFF from HDtracks that feed the quality meter.

It seems you have a lot more fun spending time with critical comparisons. at the moment, I am doing more listening, primarily with my HD800's. There are times when the inner hobbiest wants to come out and play and then I can spend a weekend in A/B bliss. Lately I just wanted to groove...:)

Eric,

I would be thrilled to "just groove". Sooner than later. Having fun is the frame I am using to be patient and spend the time needed and not make snap, convenient, premature decisions without taking into account the elements and the combination of elements.

The secondary gain is appreciating the sub-modaltities inherent in creating a synergy of elements which when combined produce what equates to just grooving, i.e., the end result. The sound that is so pleasing. Before the upgrade, I might be focused on a particular element. Perhaps it is the experience over the last two (2) years that have made me mindful. For example being a volunteer beta tester for Sonic Studio and becoming aware of different builds of Amarra Symphony.

Presently, my focus is expanded to appreciate the complexity of what the elements contribute. Often, one can read posts where individuals attribute impediments encountered when playing their music library to a particular software player but are unaware of a conflict with the specifications required by their player of choice and certain elements which are not compatible.

Variation on a theme, I am re-examining the elements and how they combine to produce a groovy SQ. The upgraded Dac2SE initiated this awareness. A failed USB cable emphasized what was and what might be. Formats that weren't available, i.e., DSD 64/128, Integer mode enabled that wasn't before, new betas for software some improved some not as much, are tapping me on my Noddle, as Mozart in Amadeus would describe.

Nothing is carved in concrete. Hope I get it right.

Best,

Richard

At 200 hours:

Nothing really to report, it sounds about the same at 200 hours as it did at 100 hours. One interesting point is the relative consistency I experienced during the break-in of the SE. I recall the roller-coaster performance of the original DAC2, some days were great, some were less than great. With the SE, I did not hear wild fluctuations in performance. My SE was largely broken in at 50 hours and developed a more relaxed flow at 100 hours.

Still waiting on the AQ Diamond USB cable....

Todd

I experienced similar changes/results in that at 200 hours the change was not a big deal. More like two-thirds of the way to three hundred (300) hours, there was a significant change. That change plateaued to the present SQ. That allowed me to discern a difference in beta builds for certain software that was partially obscured by the Dac2SE's sonic signature transition/change. And, I am happy with the change. Now I am introducing more variables. Makes it a bit confusing, but confusion is a useful state because it mixes the status quo into change. Confusion stops being useful when one stays too long in this state.

Look forward to your findings with more hours of play, if any changes are discerned, as well what your AQ Diamond USB cable brings. It does not matter that are systems are different. What matters is the SQ you assess adding the AQ Diamond to your system. I am still undecided which USB cable to settle on.

Best,

Richard

Eric,

I would be thrilled to "just groove". Sooner than later. Having fun is the frame I am using to be patient and spend the time needed and not make snap, convenient, premature decisions without taking into account the elements and the combination of elements.

The secondary gain is appreciating the sub-modaltities inherent in creating a synergy of elements which when combined produce what equates to just grooving, i.e., the end result. The sound that is so pleasing. Before the upgrade, I might be focused on a particular element. Perhaps it is the experience over the last two (2) years that have made me mindful. For example being a volunteer beta tester for Sonic Studio and becoming aware of different builds of Amarra Symphony.

Presently, my focus is expanded to appreciate the complexity of what the elements contribute. Often, one can read posts where individuals attribute impediments encountered when playing their music library to a particular software player but are unaware of a conflict with the specifications required by their player of choice and certain elements which are not compatible.

Variation on a theme, I am re-examining the elements and how they combine to produce a groovy SQ. The upgraded Dac2SE initiated this awareness. A failed USB cable emphasized what was and what might be. Formats that weren't available, i.e., DSD 64/128, Integer mode enabled that wasn't before, new betas for software some improved some not as much, are tapping me on my Noddle, as Mozart in Amadeus would describe.

Nothing is carved in concrete. Hope I get it right.

Best,

Richard

Richard,

You'll get it right because ultimately, they are your ears..:)

I do appreciate your approach to testing and review. It is fun to listen to one chain then make a component change and viola', a brush on the snare appears or a sense of dimensionality renders a more spacious presentation. That is the fun part of the journey!

Here is my current 2-channel rig ready for action:

2013-06-15130136.jpg

Richard,

You'll get it right because ultimately, they are your ears..:)

I do appreciate your approach to testing and review. It is fun to listen to one chain then make a component change and viola', a brush on the snare appears or a sense of dimensionality renders a more spacious presentation. That is the fun part of the journey!

Here is my current 2-channel rig ready for action:

2013-06-15130136.jpg

Eric,

Thank you for the photograph. And especially for your confirmation that our ears are the best pathway and apparatus for getting to the groove we seek. Compliments to the designer (ears). Some amps are intriguing to behold. They look as interesting as I imagine they sound. If you may care to benefit us with any specifics about your choice of and combination of components and what the results you appreciate your system delivers, I, for one, would be happy to know. I am always curious about, in the best sense, components I am unfamiliar with and what sonic signature one derives.

Good to chat with you.

Richard