IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE Upgrade Revisited & Findings -- The Best Decision Unequivocally!

After 35+ years of being around audio I have returned to 2 channel. In high school in the 70's my friends and I loved HiFi. The sound of the venerable Snell Type A's hooked us. I sold audio at a small store that carried Belles and the first generation Mirage. We also had Mordaunt Short speakers. Ralph Karsten came around the store with his prototype of the Atma-Sphere OTL amp. Fun times! My friend Paul Wakeen, who owned the store now heads up Still Points.

I moved onto surround sound; AC=3, Dolby, DTS and Audessey while I enjoyed home theater. However a few years ago I started getting pulled back into 2 channel. Large speakers are not in the plan at the moment. I did have a pair of Vandersteen 3's back in the day, but for now Monitors or headphones is the primary end of the chain. After a lot of reading on Head-Fi I took the plunge and purchased my Decware gear. (Audiophile Tube Amplifiers and Loudspeakers by DECWARE) All hand made point to point in East Peoria Illinois. Small, beautiful performance for the money and very tube rollable! (Is rollable a word?)

I have had an opportunity to visit Decware and I wrote an article about it. (A Visit to Decware )

The W4S DAC-2 was something I ran into at a dealer in Appleton, WI. They had taken one in on trade and I spent several hours with it connected to a Cary SLI-80 and my Sennheiser HD650's. It was a magic combo. The DAC-2 loves tubes! Pretty cool considering how solid state EJ and team are. So I was determined to have one. I found a good deal on the Head-Fi for sale and called Clint to move the warranty. No problemo! I ordered a new box from them as well so I have the original packing materials.

As for the Sennheiser HD800's I am a big Sennheiser Fanboy. I love their sound. The Decware DM945's are a fantastic monitor with 95db efficiency. My 4.7 watt Decware Taboo MK III amp runs them to louder than I need levels with great dimensionality and spaciousness.

So here I am enjoying great conversation about Wyred 4 Sounds Dac and related gear. I am tempted to go with their Pre/Monos for a bigger system when the time comes.

That is about it. Great gear is a treat to find!

Upgradeus Interruptus.....

PS Audio Directstream DSD DAC, PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio BHK 300 Monos, Aurender A10, MacMini, Roon, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest Diamond USB, AudioQuest CastleRock Speaker cables, AudioQuest MacKenzie interconnects.

I am auditioning the synergistic research active USB cable. I don't know if this is "Tricon" but as far as I know SR only has one USB cable so I assuming we are discussing the same thing.

I have enjoyed this thread, but one question for Richard are you waiting for the SR USB Active SE cable or their older model Tesla Tricon?

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

After 35+ years of being around audio I have returned to 2 channel. In high school in the 70's my friends and I loved HiFi. The sound of the venerable Snell Type A's hooked us. I sold audio at a small store that carried Belles and the first generation Mirage. We also had Mordaunt Short speakers. Ralph Karsten came around the store with his prototype of the Atma-Sphere OTL amp. Fun times! My friend Paul Wakeen, who owned the store now heads up Still Points.

I moved onto surround sound; AC=3, Dolby, DTS and Audessey while I enjoyed home theater. However a few years ago I started getting pulled back into 2 channel. Large speakers are not in the plan at the moment. I did have a pair of Vandersteen 3's back in the day, but for now Monitors or headphones is the primary end of the chain. After a lot of reading on Head-Fi I took the plunge and purchased my Decware gear. (Audiophile Tube Amplifiers and Loudspeakers by DECWARE) All hand made point to point in East Peoria Illinois. Small, beautiful performance for the money and very tube rollable! (Is rollable a word?)

I have had an opportunity to visit Decware and I wrote an article about it. (A Visit to Decware )

The W4S DAC-2 was something I ran into at a dealer in Appleton, WI. They had taken one in on trade and I spent several hours with it connected to a Cary SLI-80 and my Sennheiser HD650's. It was a magic combo. The DAC-2 loves tubes! Pretty cool considering how solid state EJ and team are. So I was determined to have one. I found a good deal on the Head-Fi for sale and called Clint to move the warranty. No problemo! I ordered a new box from them as well so I have the original packing materials.

As for the Sennheiser HD800's I am a big Sennheiser Fanboy. I love their sound. The Decware DM945's are a fantastic monitor with 95db efficiency. My 4.7 watt Decware Taboo MK III amp runs them to louder than I need levels with great dimensionality and spaciousness.

So here I am enjoying great conversation about Wyred 4 Sounds Dac and related gear. I am tempted to go with their Pre/Monos for a bigger system when the time comes.

That is about it. Great gear is a treat to find!

Eric,

Your visit to Decware is fascinating. Excellent photography. It is humbling to realize the depth of your experience, the talented engineers and variety of Hifi equipment created that I would never know about without your introduction. For example, I was unaware of the synergy between the W4SDac2 and tube amplifiers, and specifically Decware. I am sure readers at this thread will find this information highly useful and intriguing. Your relationships early on with some impressive innovators and your presence at CA adds to the depth of contacts available for us all.

It is chance and serendipitous contacts made such as your post at this thread that opens up doors to other than the mainstream which seems to occupy most of the available space and attention. Timing and circumstance. Seek and Ye shall find. I appreciate you willingness to share your knowledge and experience and the access to an expanded view of excellence and innovation. Makes me appreciate EJ Sarmento all the more and the advantages his products offer.

Good chatting with you.

Richard

I have enjoyed this thread, but one question for Richard are you waiting for the SR USB Active SE cable or their older model Tesla Tricon?

Barr

Barr,

Thank you for your kind comments. In 2011, I auditioned the Tesla Tricon USB and was so pleased I purchased it. That cable is NOT compatible with the upgraded Dac2SE. The latest edition of the Tricon USB with active shielding is compatible; and the cable I wish to audition from The Cable Company. Though promised to deliver to me three weeks ago, going on four weeks now, I have yet to receive one.

Best,

Richard

Richard - Two things, the first is I have really enjoyed reading your adventures here, very illuminating! Second, when I visit the Synergistic Research site I see no mention of the Tricon's, only the USB Active SE cables which are $595/1 Meter.

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/sophic/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/SR-Price-List-Winter-2013-DR.pdf

Strange that the Tesla Tricon would not be compatible, and I guess rather annoying as well...

The SR cable I am referring to is the one that SP reviewed on Audiostream a while back, the Active SE.

USB Cable Shootout | AudioStream

Call me Dazed and Confused in California...

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Richard - Two things, the first is I have really enjoyed reading your adventures here, very illuminating! Second, when I visit the Synergistic Research site I see no mention of the Tricon's, only the USB Active SE cables which are $595/1 Meter.

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/sophic/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/SR-Price-List-Winter-2013-DR.pdf

Strange that the Tesla Tricon would not be compatible, and I guess rather annoying as well...

The SR cable I am referring to is the one that SP reviewed on Audiostream a while back, the Active SE.

USB Cable Shootout | AudioStream

Call me Dazed and Confused in California...

Barr

Ooops!

Perhaps, we are talking about the same USB cable. I just visited The Cable Company's website. Please excuse my error. You are correct the cable referred to as Synergistic Research's USB Active SE IS the cable I am interested in auditioning. I used an old reference. Unfortunately, the Tricon I bought cost the same as the newest edition of their USB cable. Perhaps, I may be able to trade my cable should I choose it.

Thank you for correcting my error. Sorry for the confusion.

Best,

Richard

Oh no apologies required, I just wanted to ensure I was not going insane (well that is perhaps a different topic) and I am very interested in hearing more about this very cable, as it is on my shortlist of USB cables to use when my new DAC arrives in a month or so...

Thanks!

Oh no apologies required, I just wanted to ensure I was not going insane (well that is perhaps a different topic) and I am very interested in hearing more about this very cable, as it is on my shortlist of USB cables to use when my new DAC arrives in a month or so...

Thanks!

Barr,

It would be my pleasure to review the SR USB Active Cable SE, if only TCC would deliver one to me. I emailed them today asking for a status update. They have not responded. I'll call tomorrow for a personal contact.

Best,

Richard

bplexico

Barr,

I found that out the hard way. I do not want to revisit this so I'll just sum it up with an email I received from Ted Denney lead designer, who sent me an unsolicited email to inform me that the Tricon USB cable was designed for 44k digital transfer to quote him and further that the Tricon was not intended to keep up with technology's advance. Mind you, this cable was being sold in 2011 when Hi-Res was available. But no where was there any specification to alert the buyer, except the general caveat: Buyer beware. Hard lesson.

Best,

Richard

One of the realities of the shift to digital is that standards can change now. For many years great equipment and cables did not have to contend with this. Then HDMI came along...And USB 3.0....

It is a brave new world for audiophiles....

Upgradeus Interruptus.....

PS Audio Directstream DSD DAC, PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio BHK 300 Monos, Aurender A10, MacMini, Roon, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest Diamond USB, AudioQuest CastleRock Speaker cables, AudioQuest MacKenzie interconnects.

Richard, your diplomacy is commendable, I now recall you may have alluded to this earlier in this thread. Out of curiosity, and with no intent to beat a dead horse, does the cable not work if you send it a signal with resolution higher than a 16/44.1 file? I can understand if you wish to defer any further discussion at this point. I see too you are a fairly good customer of theirs as well.

Oh and interestingly enough I see SR has both a USB Active SE and a USB 3.0 Active SE, both at the same price. I might have to inquire with them as to the difference (though I guess it is apparent by them name). Wonder if they support the former with a computer that has USB 3.0 ports?

Barr

p.s. Nice choice on the Boz Scaggs "Memphis", I have had it for a few months, the recording quality is exceptional as well (Gone Baby Gone I was playing daily for over a month). As to Shelby Lynn, I have the Analog Productions re-issue on vinyl, spot on!

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

One of the realities of the shift to digital is that standards can change now. For many years great equipment and cables did not have to contend with this. Then HDMI came along...And USB 3.0....

It is a brave new world for audiophiles....

Very true. And in the balance, a $600 cable becomes useless in two years, and a two year old Dac2 is upgraded and affords a grand experience a new. C'est la vie! There's more to come and not too far away.

Best,

Richard

Richard, your diplomacy is commendable, I now recall you may have alluded to this earlier in this thread. Out of curiosity, and with no intent to beat a dead horse, does the cable not work if you send it a signal with resolution higher than a 16/44.1 file? I can understand if you wish to defer any further discussion at this point. I see too you are a fairly good customer of theirs as well.

Oh and interestingly enough I see SR has both a USB Active SE and a USB 3.0 Active SE, both at the same price. I might have to inquire with them as to the difference (though I guess it is apparent by them name). Wonder if they support the former with a computer that has USB 3.0 ports?

Barr

p.s. Nice choice on the Boz Scaggs "Memphis", I have had it for a few months, the recording quality is exceptional as well (Gone Baby Gone I was playing daily for over a month). As to Shelby Lynn, I have the Analog Productions re-issue on vinyl, spot on!

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Barr,

The Tricon worked with the W4S Dac2 with all resolutions up to 192/24. BUT, with the upgraded Dac2SE, the first sound I heard was awful static and it went downhill from there. That's the rub. A USB cable from Cable2Go or one included with a USB device such as HDD works with the Dac2SE but not the $600. Tricon cable. Go figure.

You are correct about the two editions of the USB Active SE cable/3.0/2.0. But I should not comment not having seen the 3.0 cable by SR. I presume the B termination is the 3.0 side and the A is compatible with 2.0 inputs on the USB source inputs. The W4S Dac2SE requires the 2.0 B termination.

I, too, have had Memphis since it first arrived (months ago). The Shelby Lynn on vinyl must be gorgeous. My whole library sounds better with the Dac2SE. And the recordings that don't sound even worse now. There is justice! And the scales/symmetry show the proper relationship.

On the East coast it's DreamTime.

Richard

Richard, etal -

I have been enjoying this thread very much. Thanks! Listening to you all finally got me off my backside and I sent my beloved Dac2 in for the SE mod last week. I think it was supposed to be delivered to the shop today. Clint told me that it would be in the shop 2-4 days. In the meanwhile I'm going through withdrawals here....

I am fronting my Dac2 with fully a loaded OR5 via I2S, so after I get the Dac2se back and settled in, I plan to offer my thoughts on the change. I'm also curious how the Dac2se via USB compares to my current set up.

FYI, I borrowed the Wireworld Platinum, and the Audioquest Diamond from the cable company also. Of course, my USB goes into the OR5, so I can't compare with your results. I did end up buying the WW for my other system, and am still in the hunt for this one.

Thanks again,

Randy

The world is but one country, and mankind its citizens.

Living Room: Caps2/JRiver 19/Fidelizer > Wireworld Platinum USB > Calyx DAC/KingRex PSU > Kimber Heroes > Bryston BP-26/4B-SST > Kimber 8TC > B&W 802D.

Den: CAPS3 Carbon/SOtM USB/JRiver 20/Fidelizer/Uptone JS-2 power supply>Totaldac USB > Off Ramp5/Dynamo PS/Short Block via I2S > PS Audio Silver HDMI > W4S Dac2DSDse/femto upgrade > Triode Wire Labs IC > Bryston B100-SST > Kimber 8VS > B&W SCMS. (Triode Wire Labs power cables).

Richard, etal -

I have been enjoying this thread very much. Thanks! Listening to you all finally got me off my backside and I sent my beloved Dac2 in for the SE mod last week. I think it was supposed to be delivered to the shop today. Clint told me that it would be in the shop 2-4 days. In the meanwhile I'm going through withdrawals here....

I am fronting my Dac2 with fully a loaded OR5 via I2S, so after I get the Dac2se back and settled in, I plan to offer my thoughts on the change. I'm also curious how the Dac2se via USB compares to my current set up.

FYI, I borrowed the Wireworld Platinum, and the Audioquest Diamond from the cable company also. Of course, my USB goes into the OR5, so I can't compare with your results. I did end up buying the WW for my other system, and am still in the hunt for this one.

Thanks again,

Randy

Welcome, Randy. And thank you for your kind comments.

So glad you chose to post. Your timing is perfect. Members will be interested that you employ the OffRamp5 with your Dac2. And, I imagine, what your assessment of the upgraded Dac2SE and the OR5 employed together. As you may have read in this thread, some member users have chosen not to employ their S/PDIF converter after the upgrade. Of course, there is no "right" solution save the one you choose. Imagine interest will be high to learn what you discover about the continued synergy of the OR5 and Dac2SE considering the upgrade for some has obviated the continued use of a USB converter.

Please favor us also with your decision for the USB cable you decide for your Dac2SE /OR5, and your findings when you are ready to do so. And, if you would, the software player and build version and that finding to include the big picture for the synergy you prefer.

I require experience and input with one other cable I am still seeking to audition, the SR Active USB; and I am personally leaning toward choosing Wireworld's Platinum Starlight at the moment, with honorable mention for the AQ Diamond.

As more member users post at this thread with their preferred chosen elements and also include particulars about what that synergy delivers, their experiences help others consider whether or not to upgrade and what changes if any compliment the upgrade. The more choices the better; then one's individual preferences take precedence; and we build a kind of database for what works with what and what outcomes might be expected. You know, a palette for the picture one paints with their system's color combination.

I appreciate how you feel about the wait to get your Dac2SE back and operational. I indulged myself by shipping to and back overnight to avoid delays and lessen the potential for what shippers occasionally impose that is undesirable.

Look forward to your future posts. Good fortune with your upgrade.

Enjoy the music.

Best,

Richard

I called The Cable Company and spoke to the salesman I have dealt with for years asking about the status of my request for the loan of the SR Active USB SE cable. All he would tell me is that it is still out on loan and has not been returned and, therefore, unavailable; that I am next in line (I was a month ago); that it will be shipped to me automatically when it becomes available. On the plus side, he extended my time to audition the AQ Diamond and Wireworld Platinum Starlight. There must be a high number of requests to audition the popular USB cables; and the numbers of computer audio hobbyists must have increased geometrically. If one is interested in auditioning cables from TCC, it might be prudent to communicate your requests sooner than later.

BTW: Happy Fourth of July to ALL. Safe, healthy and happy holiday.

Best,

Richard

Much more to come that can be regarded as good news (emphasis mine). Not able to be specific at this time. Please regard this inartfully vague post less a tease than an imposed containment on my enthusiasm. Particulars to follow ; >}

Enjoy the music. Happy Fourth of July.

Best,

Richard

Good fortune with your Diamond. May it make your music sparkle in the best sense of preferred SQ. Let us know how you experience its introduction to your system. New cables in my experience have a break-in period. I imagine even from the beginning you can discern what the mating produces. It can only get better after that, if it starts off positively for you.

Interestingly, for thhe Black Cat BNC coax cable the recommendationnfor best results was the 1.5m length, which is, in fact, the only starting length. Not the case with the Diamond. Just inquiring.

Enjoy the music.

Richard

Well, it's like Christmas on the 4th of July! Not only did the AQ Diamond USB arrive today, the FedEx guy dropped off a used Crystal Cable Diamond power cable. Sweet! Since there are many moving parts in my system, let me break them down as I did them one at a time in the following order:

Amarra upgrade from 4460 to 4488. Nothing really to report, sounds great to me.

i swapped out my Siltech Explorer 270p power cable with the Crystal Diamond (powering the DAC2SE). Subtle change for the better, immediately noticed some of the ambiance I was missing returned. More room filling sound. Nice!

Installed the Siltech power cable on my amp replacing a stock cord. Huge difference here, I am getting detail I have never noticed come through. Soft guitar rifts are popping out of the background. The music was always there, but I am noticing them as distinct elements.

Installed the AQ Diamond. Sounds good out of the box. Not earth shattering, but the piano harshness from the stock USB cable is gone (thank goodness). Vocals are a little smoother, especially high energy content. I will give this new cable some break in and report back later.

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

Well, it's like Christmas on the 4th of July! Not only did the AQ Diamond USB arrive today, the FedEx guy dropped off a used Crystal Cable Diamond power cable. Sweet! Since there are many moving parts in my system, let me break them down as I did them one at a time in the following order:

Amarra upgrade from 4460 to 4488. Nothing really to report, sounds great to me.

i swapped out my Siltech Explorer 270p power cable with the Crystal Diamond (powering the DAC2SE). Subtle change for the better, immediately noticed some of the ambiance I was missing returned. More room filling sound. Nice!

Installed the Siltech power cable on my amp replacing a stock cord. Huge difference here, I am getting detail I have never noticed come through. Soft guitar rifts are popping out of the background. The music was always there, but I am noticing them as distinct elements.

Installed the AQ Diamond. Sounds good out of the box. Not earth shattering, but the piano harshness from the stock USB cable is gone (thank goodness). Vocals are a little smoother, especially high energy content. I will give this new cable some break in and report back later.

Happy Fourth, Todd. Incidentally, I agree that power cables make a difference which explains my reasons for replacing all the stock power cables in my system. That you notice a huge difference mirrors my own experience; and from my perspective is telling how the synergy of one's system is enhanced not only by upgraded components that actually deliver more than modest improvements; but is further enhanced when the rest of the system is upgraded, i.e., power cords, better electrical outlets, decoupling etc. etc. etc.

I realize that there are various approaches to what is professed to be real, relevant and resplendent; and what is regarded as imagined improvements. I am not invested in convincing anyone whether or not those improvements actually delivers enhancements. I might draw the line at waving magic wands, although it couldn't hurt. And even if the individual addition is not startling, the synergy of the system, the room the system is located, can take on a different "feel". I can move around the room including moving to the back of the room and experience an enhancement in totality. Again, not important to prove it. And not opposed to those who demand supporting objective evidence that may measure such improvements. I rely on my senses. If my imagination supports the results, that is not a bad thing to me.

Back to you, Todd. I immediately heard a difference between the AQ Diamond USB and the Wyred 4 Sound USB. Admittedly, not earth shattering. Considering it is a on loan from TCC and, though I do not know how many hours the cable has been used, it does not sound "as new". Therefore, what I heard with its employment might be want you may hear further along in hours of play. In any case, hope you enjoy the benefits of the new additions, which you already indicated manifest the improvements.

Keep us informed, if you will, about the system's changes overall in addition to your W4S Dac2SE. I, too, do not encounter any problems with Amarra Symphony 4488, which for me operates with relatively minor impediments, i.e., when adding files from iTunes to Playlist window vs dragging. But the files do add and the SQ is incomparable. My preferred player and the synergy it adds to the W4S Dac2SE upgrade is appreciated all the more as my music library sounds better and / or worse depending on the quality of the recording I am playing at the time. That is to be expected as nothing can add to what is not there.

BTW Todd: I am quite familiar with AudioQuest cables which I have employed for years for HT system, i.e., XLR ICs throughout and subwoofer cables and in the past with my 2Channel system but which have been replaced with Synergistic Research. I mention this so you know I am not "unfamiliar" with sonic signatures of various AQ's cables. Better described as I am very familiar with sonic signatures of various AQ's cables. Not the ultra expensive, but high quality AQ cables.

Over time, with listening experience, I have learned (about my own preferences) from the benefit of listening experience what I prefer. As good as AQ is, their sonic signature is a bit different from what the SR delivers. I am sure there are even more cables to consider that anyone might also appreciate. I just landed on one manufacturer's sonic signature that was "good enough" so I am happy with what is.

It is the same principle with the W4S Dac2SE. There are many Dacs out there that I imagine are just wonderful in the resolution of sound delivered. The original Dac2 in combination with all components taken in their totality was "good enough" for me to enjoy my system. Yet the upgrade took what I thought was "good enough" to another level. A significant level of change and enhanced SQ. There is nothing arcane about this.

Therefore, if I were to choose Wideworld's Platinum Starlight USB cable over the the AQ Diamond, I am not claiming the Platinum is the better cable other than it is the better cable for me delivering the sound I prefer. Another member might choose the opposite and our preferences though different would both be valid. I know this is obvious and fundamental. I just needed to say the obvious because often in threads at CA an individual's findings are contested by another's opinion as if there is a right and a wrong when in fact it is a person's assessment/judgment. If the opinion concerns a matter that can be confirmed by objective fact like the distance between two points, then the distance is measurable and opinion is the least reliable. But arguing blue is a better color than red...

Todd, hoping your AQ Diamond delivers the results in SQ you are seeking from your new USB cable, and wishing you much enjoyment from the changes you have made.

Best,

Richard

Some SR Active USB cables SE come to one who waits. Just received an email from TCC that one is on the way. Typically that happens in one to two days. Next Monday or Tuesday, I can finally test the SR Active USB SE cable so I can spend even more dollars. But it is a worthy cause : >}

In the meantime, the Wireworld Platinum Starlight and my Dac2SE and the compliment ofnother elements are making beautiful music together.

To be continued.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Some SR Active USB cables SE come to one who waits. Just received an email from TCC that one is on the way. Typically that happens in one to two days. Next Monday or Tuesday, I can finally test the SR Active USB SE cable so I can spend even more dollars. But it is a worthy cause : >}

In the meantime, the Wireworld Platinum Starlight and my Dac2SE and the compliment ofnother elements are making beautiful music together.

To be continued.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I mailed back the SR Active USB today. Sorry - I told them Wednesday but I got busy at work.

Like I said in my review, the SR was nowhere near the quality of the Wireworld in my system, but perhaps you will experience differently.

Just a suggestion, I noticed from others reviews on the SR cable that they said the upgraded power supply made a significant difference. So perhaps you should ask for that as well.

Up to you - like I said with the stock power supply I was surprised how lackluster this cable was.

Good luck!

Dan

Hi Richard,

I mailed back the SR Active USB today. Sorry - I told them Wednesday but I got busy at work.

Like I said in my review, the SR was nowhere near the quality of the Wireworld in my system, but perhaps you will experience differently.

Just a suggestion, I noticed from others reviews on the SR cable that they said the upgraded power supply made a significant difference. So perhaps you should ask for that as well.

Up to you - like I said with the stock power supply I was surprised how lackluster this cable was.

Good luck!

Dan

Dan,

Good to hear from you.

Nothing to be sorry for as the cable shipped to me is coming directly from TCC and is on its way. At last.

By power supply, are you referring to the transformer that supplies power for the active shielding element for the cable and which the enigma tuning bullets regulate? Were you provided with the upgraded power supply for your audition? How is one supposed to evaluate a cable that has been improved if not provided with the latest model?

Thank you! I appreciate your notice about the power supply revision. I will certainly determine just what it is that I am evaluating. Perhaps, best to contact SR directly about this matter.

Best,

Richard

Richard - I read in the review on the AudioStream website that the upgraded power supply is a $400 option to the SR, which the reviewer, Steven Plaskin thought made a fair difference in SQ.

Randy

The world is but one country, and mankind its citizens.

Living Room: Caps2/JRiver 19/Fidelizer > Wireworld Platinum USB > Calyx DAC/KingRex PSU > Kimber Heroes > Bryston BP-26/4B-SST > Kimber 8TC > B&W 802D.

Den: CAPS3 Carbon/SOtM USB/JRiver 20/Fidelizer/Uptone JS-2 power supply>Totaldac USB > Off Ramp5/Dynamo PS/Short Block via I2S > PS Audio Silver HDMI > W4S Dac2DSDse/femto upgrade > Triode Wire Labs IC > Bryston B100-SST > Kimber 8VS > B&W SCMS. (Triode Wire Labs power cables).

Dan's post below inspired me to seek out information provided by other than myself and address matters I may have known, forgotten, or was totally unaware of. This link helps to fill in what I believe Dan alludes to with his references for SR's Active USB SE cable, USB Cable Shootout | AudioStream.

It is not my intention to mis-match my preference to resist OT content and maintain focus on the W4SDac2SE even if it stalls the thread from time to time. Of course, I encourage member users to visit and comment and share their experience of real time use as opposed to some threads that revolve around opinions about opinions. Not judging those threads, but not wanting to duplicate them here.

This is leading up to what you need to make a good music sandwich. And no matter how tasty the Dac, the cable employed contributes a corresponding important element. My preference is for USB. Hence the above cited link. If one finds the content the link provides useful and relevant to adding to an already excellent upgrade, all the better.

Best,

Richard

Richard - I read in the review on the AudioStream website that the upgraded power supply is a $400 option to the SR, which the reviewer, Steven Plaskin thought made a fair difference in SQ.

Randy

Randy,

Your timing is spot on. You beat me to posting the link. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this information. It serves all who visit this thread.

With appreciation,

Richard