IGNORED

Izotope SRC

Completely off topic, but Gene Krupa does something similar in the excellent film Ball of Fire (directed by Howard Hawks, with Barbara Stanwyck and Gary Cooper). Here it is on YouTube:

(It's in the encore/reprise at the end of the clip.)

--David

More OT, but I can't resist the opportunity to note that the sort of "popping" percussion you can't quite place in the Beach Boys' wonderful "God Only Knows" from Pet Sounds (which I believe Paul McCartney may have referred to at one time as the best song ever written) was of course Brian Wilson's idea of just the right sound: him tapping on an empty Coke can.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

seriously: is this test tones approach anything more than a very simplified attempt at evaluating something way more complex? :-/

I mean: if I want to show how good my Tivoli Model Two sounds... all I have to do is play some electronic music. but if I play, instead, just a baroque solo cello... =:-/ (not even thinking about a full orchestra :-p )

Hi, pl_svn (can I call you "pl" for short?).

I would say about test tones that they can point out some types of potential problems, as levandier mentioned with regard to test tones indicating one would have to be conscious when designing filters of avoiding beats at 15kHz and below at least. But real music is of course more complex, so I would guess it would be more difficult to design a filter that deals well with music in its many forms than to design one that would look good on these simple test tones.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

... Brian Wilson's idea of just the right sound: him tapping on an empty Coke can.

I went to high school with a very good oboe player (now a long-time pro) who could play tunes by tapping on her teeth with a Bic pen.

Now back to our regularly scheduled SRC. Thanks to levandier, Superdad, and all you other folks who've enabled me to get a handle on something that's just a wee bit over my head.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Hi, pl_svn (can I call you "pl" for short?).

sure

so I would guess it would be more difficult to design a filter that deals well with music in its many forms than to design one that would look good on these simple test tones.

then... the "best of both worlds" filter looks very good on paper and sounds (on my system) nothing more than ok :-/

(OT: listening now to "Dream Attic". I'd say he, or his sound engineer, is deeply in love with the "Naim sound" :-p)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Im just going to stick with the onboard filters. I can't really better them. I like the lower prering but it sounds a tad flat.. And the .65 sounds too forward. It was fun though! :)

As they say in Vegas: "Thanks for playing and best of luck." Looks like you have a very nice system. I hope your room allows you to get the best from it.

Cheers,

ALEX

using "Burning Man" (acoustic version), "The Snow Goose" and "The Tic-Tac Man" (plus Laurie Anderson's "Bodies in Motion" and "Statue of Liberty") tonight I came to:

Steepness: 7

Filter max length: 1.800.000 (works fine. but with high steepness values sounds "dull")

Cutoff freq: 1,00

Anti-aliasing: 200

Pre-ringing: 0,35 (I feel lower values do add "life")

maybe a tad too much on the bright side (Cutoff freq is, I believe, the culprit here) but… a lot of life

only tried 2x up sampling of redbook files

not at all sure tomorrow I'll still like these settings. in the while… happy to hear from other NOS DAC owners ;-)

'nite

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

More OT, but I can't resist the opportunity to note that the sort of "popping" percussion you can't quite place in the Beach Boys' wonderful "God Only Knows" from Pet Sounds (which I believe Paul McCartney may have referred to at one time as the best song ever written) was of course Brian Wilson's idea of just the right sound: him tapping on an empty Coke can.

Yeh, but I'm convinced this production-guru halo has blinded us to his real musical quality, the early stuff, peaking with "Don't Worry Baby". See Dave Marsh's incisive analysis.

BTW, has there been a Mytek 'best settings' suggestion yet?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 2 weeks later...

For my non NOS dac the m2tech Young fed via hiface2 direct/integer Mode1 x2 upsampling I find below very good indeed. I use a variety of music to assess...Alison Krauss- Now That I've Found You, Archaica-Gori Women's Choir, Give-White EP, Scottish Chamber Orchestra- Various, Szerying Plays Kreisler (a real tester for any unpleasantness especially in the top end), various piano and acoustic guitar and mandolin. I have arrived at these settings that appeal very much to me and might well appeal to somebody especially with a non NOS dac. I find that these settings leave the 'air' through, but sweeten the top end. All the rest follow through down to deepest base, which is tuneful and articulate.

Setting 1.png

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

For my non NOS dac the m2tech Young fed via hiface2

the M2Tech Young, afaik, is not at all a NOS DAC (nor any M2Tech model) ;-)

EDIT

confirmed: "The synergy between the DAC IC and the custom oversampler allows for exceptionally low noise floor and THD"

headphones system:

the M2Tech Young, afaik, is not at all a NOS DAC (nor any M2Tech model) ;-)

You got fooled--the way I have several times here--by his use of the double negative. He said "non NOS DAC," meaning to say he is NOT using and NOS DAC. Perhaps he felt compelled to say it that way because a few of us loud-mouths in this thread ARE using NOS DACs.

It does seem to be the case that preferred iZotope settings are definitely dependent upon the DAC. And to some extent the s/w filter combines with the h/w filters (less so the higher one first upsamples in s/w).

Weather here is too nice today for forums--even too nice to sit and listen to music--so outside I go to play with the kids. Oh, but first I have get them off THEIR computers!

You got fooled--the way I have several times here--by his use of the double negative. He said "non NOS DAC," meaning to say he is NOT using and NOS DAC.

... whooops, sorry: read (and wrote) too fast :-(

apologies

Weather here is too nice today for forums--even too nice to sit and listen to music--so outside I go to play with the kids. Oh, but first I have get them off THEIR computers!

:-p

rainy day, here, so... Bach's Matthäus Passion by Philippe Herrewege :-)

headphones system:

For my non NOS dac the m2tech Young fed via hiface2 direct/integer Mode1 x2 upsampling I find below very good indeed. I use a variety of music to assess...Alison Krauss- Now That I've Found You, Archaica-Gori Women's Choir, Give-White EP, Scottish Chamber Orchestra- Various, Szerying Plays Kreisler (a real tester for any unpleasantness especially in the top end), various piano and acoustic guitar and mandolin. I have arrived at these settings that appeal very much to me and might well appeal to somebody especially with a non NOS dac. I find that these settings leave the 'air' through, but sweeten the top end. All the rest follow through down to deepest base, which is tuneful and articulate.

Nice settings for an non NOS DAC. I read from the DAC manufacturer web page the filters are set for minimum pre-echo, that's why you can go to 1.0 on Pre-Ringing. In my up sampling DAC I need from 0.60 to 0.78 (music dependent). In very close miking like some lady jazz singers, when the lady get so close that make distort (or excite) the mike, a very common issue, I need 0.60 On non 'distorted' recordings I can go to 1.0 also.

Roch

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have being playing around some more.

I tried these settings, but found some 's' sounds suppressed and air went missing.

2013-04-01_2227.png

Then I tried these. I was amazed how much difference such a seemingly small adjustment made. The missing elements were back and the sound is without nasties. Previously, with my settings just above this post there was still an element of steeliness apparent in violin and mandolin 'E' string and guitar strummed near the bridge on longer listening.

2013-04-03_1332.png

These work well with my Mac Mini/ifi USB Power/Hiface2/m2tech Young/Palmer PSU. The digital cable is a Nordost Silver Shadow.

The pre ringing is still set on 1.00 for the m2tech, which has a pre ringing filter built in. Upsampling is x2.

I don't know, from my very limited knowledge, if these settings make technically correct sense or not, but sound good to use for the foreseeable. Comments welcome in hope of learning more.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

It is evident from the above that the filter shape at those settings corresponds very closely to the 'ideal' filter in white. I don't know whether this is desirable or not.

The frequency slope runs like this:-

21.379khz (0.00db)

21.762khx (-2.55db)

22.082khz (-46.5db)

Extremely flat to just before Nyquist and then very rapid fall off. Forgot to say earlier that sampling is at 2,000,000 and anti aliasing 200.

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm currently using the almost identical 14, 0.9, 0.3 filter just to make sure the signal above 22.05KHz is down 40dB. Definitely sounds great to me too.

I was wondering about how the ultra-sonic noise above the Nyquist frequency comes back into the audible range... So, currently these settings are -40db at Nyquist, and are down to -110dB at Nyquist + (22.05-20 KHz). I think this is where is would start showing up in the audible range because the noise starts to increase coming back from 22.05 at -40 to -110 at 20KHz in the audible range. And would be even lower <20KHz. Does that seem correct?

Are the three numbers you guys are referring to the Steepness, Cutoff Frequency x Nyquist and pre-Ringing?

I just answered my own question (yes). Has there been any consensus reached on a general setting for these three? I have been using from early on in these discussions 24, 0.90 and 0.60. Any recommendations?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
  • 1 month later...

I am a novice when it comes to this so would appreciate some advice. I have the NAD M51 DAC which is a non-NOS DAC. I find that when switching to Izotope the sound is a bit thin and bright - lacks the body that I hear when set to CoreAudio. The settings I've tried are:

(1) Default

(2) Cut-off at 0.7

(3) Steepness: 7; Cut-off:0.92; Preringing 0

(3) seems the best but body still not as good as CoreAudio.

Can anyone suggest suitable settings? Thanks.

I am a novice when it comes to this so would appreciate some advice. I have the NAD M51 DAC which is a non-NOS DAC. I find that when switching to Izotope the sound is a bit thin and bright - lacks the body that I hear when set to CoreAudio. The settings I've tried are:

(1) Default

(2) Cut-off at 0.7

(3) Steepness: 7; Cut-off:0.92; Preringing 0

(3) seems the best but body still not as good as CoreAudio.

Can anyone suggest suitable settings? Thanks.

Try pre-ringing settings from .5 through what you have now, moving by, for example, .1 each time.

You'll likely find .5 too "sloppy," then successive additions of .1 (.6, .7, etc.) will tighten up the sound and make it "drier." Keep whatever setting sounds most like real life to you.

Superdad, can you please confirm what izotope and up-sampling settings you're using in the latest Beta's for v1.5? Thanks.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

No consensus apparently!

I guess it's impossible to get a "general consensus", this is why the settings are 'user adjustable' since I find they are DAC, music gear system and music dependent and, of course, user taste dependent. In my case even change with the mood...

Roch

Superdad, can you please confirm what izotope and up-sampling settings you're using in the latest Beta's for v1.5? Thanks.

With my NOS/filterless DAC, running either "Power of 2 oversampling" or "Oversampling 2x only", I am currently at:

Steepness: 7 dB

Filter max length: 1,150,000 Samples

Cutoff freq.: 1.04 x Nyquist

Anti-aliasing: 200

Pre-ringing: 0.65

Last week, into a sigma-delta DAC prototype (which we chose the least bad sounding stock internal filter setting as 'filter-off' was not possible), we preferred Steepness of 21 and filter max length of 1,450,000, with all else the same as above. What a difference that made--even though we were only able to run 88.4kHz into it.

After the results from the S-D prototype, I may take another run at settings for my NOS DAC as I really have not tried anything new since 1.4.6. And 1.4.9.x betas are certainly a game changer.

Hope that helps you. Best to use your absolutely most realistic instrument discs (and a vocal harmony too) to make the adjustments. Much easier to tune to make piano and percussion sound spooky real than to try to get the gestalt of a average recording just right. Once you get your best stuff making you shake your head, the rest of your collection will sound better too! Except for the majority of recordings which may still shout at you and make you sad. Just the way it is.

Try pre-ringing settings from .5 through what you have now, moving by, for example, .1 each time.

You'll likely find .5 too "sloppy," then successive additions of .1 (.6, .7, etc.) will tighten up the sound and make it "drier." Keep whatever setting sounds most like real life to you.

Thanks. Can you confirm that izotope and the filter settings is in force only when up sampling is chosen.