IGNORED

Article: Meridian Explorer USB DAC Review

We must go to different coffee shops Chris, all my favorite haunts are too loud either because of the music or the people, and sometimes both. I could never ever listen to music in any of them, especially with open back headphones.

Am I right that this would not work as a DAC in a full size system, only a USB to Toslink converter, or would a headphone jack to RCA jack cable work?

No electron left behind.

We must go to different coffee shops Chris, all my favorite haunts are too loud either because of the music or the people, and sometimes both. I could never ever listen to music in any of them, especially with open back headphones.

Am I right that this would not work as a DAC in a full size system, only a USB to Toslink converter, or would a headphone jack to RCA jack cable work?

Pick up a pair of IEMs that block out 26dB of external noise and all is right with the world :~)

I'm guessing you skimmed over the review. The Explorer has three outputs, headphone, line out, and toslink. It works well in a full size system.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I want one right now - exciting times in portable audio, for sure!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Chris, I would appreciate it if you can expand upon a topic of the use if the Wire World USB? Did you notice any sonic difference between this and the stock cord?

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

My Explorer shows up next week. Can't wait to get my hands on mine! Will be very interesting to see if Android will support the piece..

I listened to it last week, and compared it to a few $1,000+ DACs as a line level out. None of the Sabre implementations I compared it to came close. While I liked the Meitner MA-1 more in my system, the Explorer compared VERY favorably. Anyone looking for a new DAC, line level or headphone, would be missing out by at least listening to one.

Not if you use a USB converter to Spdif like the OffRamp/JKeny, or if you put an isolator in-between though.

I see no protection from the PC at all here, so an after market unit should help a lot.

Hi Wisnon - Let's not derail the comments here, but what you're describing isn't using a USB DAC rather an S/PDIF DAC.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hello Chris!

Great addition to the reviews, I just learned about this product today and you already had a review!

And I was considering buying the DragonFly...I guess I must reconsider.

This is very interesting!

One question, if we use the higher resolutions on the Explorer as a Digital Interface (optical digital as 176.4 and 192 kHz) what will be the practical use...

I thought the toslink interface was limited to 96, and I think we find this limit in most dacs...or not?

Pick up a pair of IEMs that block out 26dB of external noise and all is right with the world :~)

I'm guessing you skimmed over the review. The Explorer has three outputs, headphone, line out, and toslink. It works well in a full size system.

Yeah, sorry about that I was interrupted midway through it and again during my reply. So you connected it via a 3.5mm mini headphone jack to RCA cable I see.

No electron left behind.

Hello Chris!

Great addition to the reviews, I just learned about this product today and you already had a review!

And I was considering buying the DragonFly...I guess I must reconsider.

This is very interesting!

One question, if we use the higher resolutions on the Explorer as a Digital Interface (optical digital as 176.4 and 192 kHz) what will be the practical use...

I thought the toslink interface was limited to 96, and I think we find this limit in most dacs...or not?

Hi Mike - 96 isn't the limit as evidenced by my bit perfect test at 192 and 176.4. It all depends on the receiving device.

Meridian Explorer USB DAC | AudioStream

Another positive review

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

It could make sense to use a Meridian Explorer USB DAC instead a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 as a high quality USB to S/PDIF converter without taking into account de DAC or the headphone amplifier? Of course with the 4x sample rate tweak. The reason i ask is before the Meridian i was planning to buy a Musical Fidelity & a DragonFly. But at least in theory the Meridian should be a perfect replacement for both & much cheaper. But i don't want to skimp on audio quality for the USB to S/PDIF converter.

Chris,

Many thanks for this.

I understand from your excellent reviews of these three CASH products that in terms of sound quality both the Explorer and the Halide DAC HD outperform the Dragonfly to some extent.

Now, is the Explorer so good that is also surpasses the Halide? I just bought the Halide and I am courious if I should look at the Explorer as a potential (marginal) upgrade.

Many thanks again, js

Not nearly as convenient as a Dragonfly when you need a USB cable to connect it, whereas the Dragonfly plugs directly in. I read the AudioStream review and came away with the impression that it softens the highs compared to a more detailed Dragonfly.

Hi dale - Good to hear other opinions. Thanks for sharing.