IGNORED

2012 CA Product of the Year (Readers Choice)

Now none of the flowing I've actually tried or used but I vote for the following, based on research and pure game changing potential :

1/ Dynadio Xeo wireless speakers.

Reason : obvious. Frees up the speaker from the other gear (all of which could then be battery operated. ) Also allows speakers to be place anywhere. Including great for sides and rears in multichannel set up.

2/ Signalyst HQ player.

Reason : ground breaking software program. Does what its set out to do well, all on the simplicity of a dedicated linux based server...with the potential to play pretty much every resolution of file right up to full multichannel DSD all from something as small as a cubox or Raspberry Pi. (I say potentially)

3/ CAPS 3 Zuma.

And more importantly the guide to build it.

Reason:The first genuine well done expandable and silent hifi server I have ever read about. Something I could even see myself building. :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Products to watch out for 2013

All mentioned on CA but really in beta. Again potential to be game changers. Interestingly all software.

1/ XBMC (Frodo)

Reason: huge following. Open source. Truely multiplatform. Big emphasis on Audio quality upgrades with this version. Shows youth of today ie the developers and gamers might be suddenly waking up to the importance of audio and hifi. This fact alone I think has huge ramifications for our hoby. Could this mean the music industry finally wakes up as well?

Reason it missed out: still in beta. Untested via USB: Does this even work? No DSD support (yet)

2/ JRiver for OSX.

Reason : sticking it up Apple. Showing them what can be done under their very own noses. Potentially a huge spanner in the works for DRM. Even on the movie side ..if this ever becomes a full feature.

Reason it missed out. Not available yet.

3/ Merging Technologies "Emotion" Music server platform.

Reason: well it's been a game changer for over 12 months already. The first consumer based full multichannel DSD based platform.

Reason it missed out. Where the heck is it? And why hasn't the company released it? Should this win the CA "most hyped but let down the market product" for 2011-2012?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

...forgot to add my third choice above.

3. Bel Canto uLink

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

1) Audirvana Plus

First bit of software that night and day transformed my system beyond anything I had ever gotten out of it. My disc players are now collecting dust for the first time.

2) Schiit Modi

I have friends who had never seen the letters D A C and are now well deep in research on rebuilding their listening environments. I believe Schiit is a disruptor (positive) in the industry. They are opening the concept of "Computer Audiophile" to a user base that never knew they had a problem. This is simply great for the consumer and therefore the industry as a whole.

1. Audivarna + (best music player at a reasonable price, excellent performance)

2. Schiit Modi (the best DAC hands down for $99)

3. AQ Dragonfly (the best portable DAC with great performance)

iMac -> Audirvana+ -> Schiit Modi -> Yamaha A-S500 -> Audioengine P4

1. Metrum Octave DAC for unbeliveable and unbeatable value for money

2. BADA Alpha USB - state of the art USB to SPDIF conversion

3. JRemote

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Yes, I plan to give readers more time to vote, then tally up the results.

Will it be simply the most recommended from this thread; or will you put a 14 day poll for people to vote from the top 3/4/5 nominations?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris ... did you decide not to do anything with this ... it's February so nearly time for 2013 awards (from some publications).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Chris ... did you decide not to do anything with this ... it's February so nearly time for 2013 awards (from some publications).

Eloise

Here is the final Poll to determine the 2012 CA Readers Choice Product of the Year

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/poll-2012-ca-product-year-readers-choice-14857/

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

+1 Audirvana Plus

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

Guys you need to vote at the poll (sticky thread above)!

You need to vote here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/poll-2012-ca-product-year-readers-choice-14857/

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”