IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

So please, PLEASE, let's not let this thread become a discussion about placebo effects vs. hearing and listening disabilities, ok?...If not, maybe it would be best to initiate another thread. :)

Best regards

+1

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

...and this is the reason I do not use any Wireworld USB cables (timbre is inaccurate and soundstage is collapsed),

Perhaps just a tiny bit of an overgeneralization, or a gross one!

Surely, this is system dependent. An unqualified statement that "timbre is inaccurate and soundstage is collapsed" with WW USB cables is, IMO, simply foolish. Through my Luxman DA-06, the timbre is nothing short of outstanding with the WW Platinum Starlight. While I can't offer a comparative comment as I haven't tried other USB cables in my system, I certainly have no complaints on the soundstage score.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Hi Allan,

thanks for correcting my "initiate"... it's a pity that one can't edit the post after a while. now it's there and I can't fix it... :|

reverendo:

You are most welcome. I have experienced the frustration of not noticing a typo I've made until it's too late to correct it more times than I'd care to remember. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Actually, I find A/B comparison testing to be rather tiresome after a while. You get to a point where you want to stop analyzing and just enjoy the music.

+1

• 2 weeks later...
I confess that I thought that the Ultimate wouldn't better the Diamond. I had previously compared it to the Cantata's stock cable about two weeks ago and the differences were so small that I thought that it would be slaughtered when compared to the Diamond. Fact is that it takes FOREVER to burn in. Purist says that one should give it about 100 hours and that's why I thought the process was over a few weeks ago. I definitely wasn't thrilled after that period. Now I know that it needs to get at least 200-250 hours in order to show what it can do.

Boy, you should be glad that you didn't post this here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/ultimate-double-blind-test-new-usb-cables-better-18096/ :)

BTW, I agree that most cables, including USB cables, only sound their best after they have been burned in. Contrarians, please, this thread is for people who believe in differences between USB cables and are seeking opinions based on those perceived differences.

• 8 months later...
Thanks, as something had to be done; some people just won't take the hint. The good news is that diversion is over; the bad is that a few pages of this thread are still taken up dealing with him, for those that come to it for interest or reference.

+1

• 2 months later...

YFS 'Split' REF USB Cable

I recently took a flyer and bought one of these cables when the manufacturer listed show demos for sale at a very reasonable price. To my pleasant surprise, this cable sounds absolutely terrific in my system. It has since replaced a WireWorld Platinum Starlight. To my ears, it has retained virtually all of the good qualities of the WW cable, but sounds fuller and richer. Of particular note is the increased harmonic content, evident in the reproduction of instruments such as acoustic guitar. The result is a more genuine reproduction of the timbre of instruments. I thought I might experience a reduction in resolution of detail, but that has not turned out to be the case.

The cable is a two headed design with particular emphasis placed on shielding. I notice that demo versions are currently available on a well known audiophile resale site. I should add that I have no relationship with Kevin O'Brien or the YFS company, but merely wanted to share my positive experience. This is not the first time that I have found an excellent cable product from a little known company. My Teresonic Clarison speaker cables continue to offer better sound than anything I had previously used in my system.

• 6 months later...
Postscript:

During my review process, I had a thought… wouldn’t it be great if one could get the best of both worlds (TotalDac strengths and 10G strengths)? How could I get both?

Enter the iFi iUSB.

I had strong doubts as to whether the TotalDac/iFi/10G combo would result in any improvement or achieve my “best of both worlds” ideal. I previously owned the iUSB and I enjoyed the improvements it provided. However, once I purchased the TotalDac, I didn’t think I could hear any benefit to the iUSB so I sold it.

I repurchased the iUSB for this experiment. From my MacBook Pro, I go TotalDac, iUSB, 10G then to my Berkeley Alpha USB.

To my surprise, this combo does in fact provide the best of both worlds. My system has never sounded better. Amazing! I get the strengths of the TotalDac (black background, superior soundstaging, layering, imaging and analog sound) and the strengths of the 10G (unbelievable detail, bass slam, energy, hifi sound).

Did you compare the above to a 10G/iUSB/TotalDac combo, i.e. starting off from the source with the more detailed cable? I was also wondering whether placing the TotalDac before the iUSB might reduce or defeat the effect of the TotalDac's filter. If you tried both combos, how would you describe the difference?

• 11 months later...
I got my TotalDAC USB cable in on Monday. Early listening was a bit fatiguing, which is the antithesis of what this cable is supposed to bring to the table. Any recollections on whether this cable needed extensive burn-in? I'm out of town for a week, so will have music playing 24/7 till next Tuesday.
What, if anything, does Vincent Brient have to say about length of burn-in?

• 6 months later...
I had Totaldac and Curious.

Preferred Curious by a tight margin.

But finally WireWorld platinum eclipse is better from both by far. The detail and presence is awesome. And with right system balance musicality shines as well.

Of course from a different budget Stealth USB-T is my reference, has it all.

Budget wise up to 1000$ WireWorld platinum 7 is da King.

Over that budget Stealth rules.

FWIW, I had the WW Platinum Starlight 7 for a long time, but much prefer the Curious which, IMO, is superior in bringing out the timbre of instruments. For example. the natural warmth and resonance of acoustic string instruments like the guitar is reproduced better, resulting in a more natural sound. I also find the Curious to be more musical in my system.

Compared to the WW Platinum Starlight 7 or the Lightspeed, which I also had for a while, the Curious USB cable is anything but fatiguing or aggressive in my system. Both of the former had an overall sound that was somewhat thin compared to the Curious, but the high end of both was not as natural or smooth.

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2018 at 4:58 AM, reverendo said:

I must say that the Curious sounds broken compared to the Lightspeed 10G. with the 10G there was more focus, speed, resolution, bandwidth and clarity. It was slightly less dense, but in a way that I would attribute to a lack of definition and resolution on part of the Curious cable. I went back and forth several times and the differences were not subtle. I can imagine the Curious cable helping systems that are overly bright and adding a little bit of "warmth" in the lower mids, but at the expense of the items I mentioned above.

as always, YMMV.

Interesting. I had the Lightspeed 10G in my system some time ago and am currently using the Curious USB cable as my reference. My experience/opinion is very different from yours. I found the Lightspeed to be overly analytical and "thin" sounding compared to the Curious. In my system, I find that timbre of instruments is noticeably more accurate with the Curious as well.

1 hour ago, elcorso said:

I had the same experience, first with the Curious, now with the Lush (9 moths in my system).

Different systems... different taste.  And no, my system is not 'digitalis'... 

I've been pursuing an SQ that allows me long, musical and enjoyable listening sessions. I am not interested in more details than a musical instrument, or human voices, can provide. Pristine hf, deep bass up to 16hZ, with correct midrange.

Roch

Roch

With the Luxman DA-06 DAC, I also preferred the Lush USB cable to the Curious. However, with my current T+A DAC 8 DSD, I prefer the Curious. Both are very good cables and offer excellent value.

I share your views regarding what I am listening for.

Allan

13 hours ago, reverendo said:

One thing that I just can't explain, and maybe due to my understanding of how hearing and sound works, is that wide and, above all, correct bandwidth reproduction is what creates the "correct" sound of especially timbre, but also tone and texture. After all, it's all harmonics. So resolution and bandwidth should result in passing on whatever the transport is sending. The closer to that goal, the more truthful the system will reproduce the source material and I really want to get to know what that is and then judge it based on that. And it is in that sense that I think that the Curious falls short. Again, YMMV.

BTW, Allan, thanks for sharing your experience.

I am not sure that I understand exactly what you mean with the above. All I can say is that, in my system, the Curious USB cable is noticeably superior to the Lightspeed 10G in all of timbre, tone and texture. It is more musical. We can't measure timbre. All we can do is compare how accurately the reproduction of the sound of acoustic instruments is to the real thing, and that is the standard I have applied in the foregoing.

48 minutes ago, reverendo said:

The 10G was the best I came upon having compared around 10 different ones in my system and I let it be. Someday I just might take up the USB cable testing up again, but first I'll work on speakers and source upgrade. ?

I fully understand. No system or component is perfect. We each have our priorities. I have reached a similar point with the Curious cable in my system. I am very happy with the sound that I am getting and I have no desire to engage in any further USB cable testing for the foreseeable future. Enjoy the music!

2 minutes ago, barrows said:

I have not heard the Sablon, as mentioned I am skeptical about "hand made" high speed data cables as making cables by hand does not support the precision necessary for really accurate impedance and high bandwidth.

Pardon my ignorance, but why isn't it possible to accurately measure these characteristics when building "hand made" data cables?

2 hours ago, barrows said:

I never suggested measuring was not possible?  I am unclear as to what your point is?

I misunderstood why "tight characteristic impedance in a cable" was difficult if not impossible to achieve in a "hand made" cable, and wrongly assumed it was because of difficulty in measuring the characteristic.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:51 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Sal you are encouraged to post in many other threads. The company in this thread prefers you seek those out and stop posting in this one. 

Thank you, Chris, although I am not sure that I would use the word "encourage". And thank you for the Ignore List, a more permanent way to avoid trolls who won't take the hint. :)

On 8/6/2018 at 1:11 PM, barrows said:

We have to be very careful about using cables as a fix for problems originating elsewhere, it is much better to fix the actual source of the problem than to cover it up with a lower resolution cable.

Very true. Put another way, cables should not be used as tone controls.

33 minutes ago, barrows said:

Yeah, but it would expand the terms a bit beyond "tone" alone, perhaps...  For example, some systems express transient edges  "perfectly" with little to no overshoot, or ringing, or smearing-for a system like this only an accurate USB cable will do, as anything else may dull the transient response.  But a system which overemphasizes transients, well...

I don't disagree, but I was referring to cables in general, not USB cables in particular.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 10:11 AM, xyzzy1 said:

Suggest you get past your deep angst here and look for your own happy pastures elsewhere.

This suggestion has been made many times before, including by both the OP and Chris, but it has fallen on deaf ears. Sadly, there is little reason to believe that he will not continue with his repetitive unwanted posts. There is a partial solution, however (click to enlarge):

image.thumb.jpeg.71c813aabd8727d1bbb1325a2f92f3a2.jpeg