IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

52 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

It’s really straightforward.  Just go through all of the settings and remember to to turn on any output you use / off that you don’t.  Enjoy!

LOL. Don't forget that you turned off the outputs. I was about to make a warranty claim for my U1 when I went to use my RCA SPDIF and nothing happened. I had been using BNC and made a change to the system. I remembered the option to turn off outputs just in time. I now have labels on the outputs that I have turned off, although I doubt I will ever make that mistake again.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Fortunately, the Lumin display shows nothing that isn't on the in the Lumin App. If you listen to anything with a longish track title, such as classical music, it is even more annoying. I leave my U1 off all of the time, it's pretty useless to me.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

@wklie

Just to be clear, as I have not seen this topic brought up here.

With the new version of Minimserver - Minimserver 2.0.x - Is Lumin's recommendation to use the free Starter edition of the software for NAS server functionality of Lumin App?

In the past, using Minimserver 0.8.x, I have had mixed results, when changing settings. These are no longer available in the free version (i.e., settings such as "reversename" have worked well, while others, not so well).

FWIW, I do not wish to use the Folder option. I know that most of the settings work when using this view.

The old packages are no longer available and will no longer be upgraded. Users of 0.8 can continue to use it indefinitely w/o any updates and bug fixes.

I went ahead and installed V2. The starter (free) package of MinimServer 2 works perfectly well as does the paid version. For most users, the starter package will be all that they need. I used the "reversename" tag option on Minimserver 0.8, so I will probably pay. It's a good way to support Minimserver.

Users can sign up for the free 30 day trial to try out the new features incorporated in MinimServer 2. The trial allows you to toggle between the free and paid version to see the differences. This would of course matter only if you use tag options, profiles, etc.

FYI Warning - you must decide ahead of time. Installing, V 2 will delete 0.8, and you will not be able to go back.

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

In the "Music Library" section of the Lumin app for iOS, how does one go about deleting the entries that are no longer valid or, indeed, no longer wanted?  I can't seem to figure it out if it is even a possibility.

Thanks much!

What do you mean by "Music Library"?568544651_ScreenShot2021-02-16at10_09_30AM.thumb.jpg.6c65b090252950d648d4483c0a9528bd.jpg

If you mean the "Browse" section, updating  Minimserver should eliminate deleted/changed items.

I've never seen where the Lumin App and the display show different bit rates. @wklie can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see how that is possible. I am not a MQA user, so maybe that is what @Audio is referring to.

Edit: I leave the display off, FWIW

• 3 weeks later...

I went from an A1 to a U1, since I was just using the streaming half of the A1. Before that I had a Sonore ultraRendu. The U1 mini was also an option, and I auditioned both. I thought the U1 was on a completely different level. I listen to classical music only, FWIW. Soundstage, timbre, etc...I've lived with the U1 now for about a year. In terms of functionality the mini is comparable, and it is certainly a SQ contender in the Sonore market. But as a U1 competitor, not even close.

Setting up a switch and volume control is easy enough to do. (Dare I speak of blind testing? LOL)

But you are absolutely correct. If the U1 mini sounds great to you, go for it. The U1 mini is a fine piece of audio.

Regarding Airplay: I own an apple tv and iPad.

If I stream video content from my iPad to my stereo (i.e., a broadcast of the Berlin Philharmonic) I can simultaneously watch on the iPad and listen through my Lumin U1 without any syncing issues.

If I attempt to do the same with my Apple TV and television, I get syncing issues.

Of course Apple TV has its own Berlin Philharmonic App and this works without syncing issues while streaming to the TV....Just not with the Lumin U1 in the mix.

But I think @Lars Nielsen has already figured this out.

• 3 weeks later...

My very first look at the new manual:

"For more information about the software-side of Music Servers, see Music Server Software."

...and I encounter a bad link...

481072371_ScreenShot2021-04-07at6_38_54AM.thumb.jpg.ca748a2dd312692fa1da244652fe717f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't call chopping off - with or without fading - the title of a work, a "feature". But...whatever.

(The display on the Lumin is a big bugaboo with me - I leave it entirely off.)

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Would love a convolution engine in Lumin products though. 

Isn't that one of the functions of Roon?

(I use my miniDSP SHD and Lumin U1)

• 2 weeks later...

@keeper:

I would love to have an icloud BUP, but whenever I've looked into it, my upload speeds make the BUP unrealistic. Last I checked, something over one year to complete. My upload speed is 1Mbps. Download is better at 20Mbps. The services that take a hard drive for the initial storage are prohibitively expensive.

How did you manage your first BUP?

I don't hear any difference.

But I remember when I owned my PS Audio DirectStream DAC, whenever they would release a new firmware, there would be all of these accolades about "greater air" and "more refined", etc. I never heard any differences.

Not to say that there aren't any, I just don't hear them. (I only critically listen to classical music ).

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 8:09 PM, wklie said:

That is correct.  Placing music into the L1 is like using a USB HDD.  When you unplug the USB cable, it turns itself into network music library mode.  It is not like a NAS because L1 does not support SMB service, so you cannot copy music from a computer to L1 via network.  For those who like to copy music files from a computer to the network music server via network, you'll have to use a (preferably fanless) NAS, or run MinimServer directly on the computer.

Strictly speaking a drive replacement voids warranty.  In case of Lumin product repairs, the original parts (including drive) must be present.  I should also mention that we never tested the use of SSD inside L1, although a few users reported success.

@wklieI'm thinking of getting an L1. What is the best way of moving NAS music files to the L1?

After my initial swap, I'll connect iMac to the L1.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, wklie said:

Other than Radio Paradise FLAC, in the upcoming firmware, there will be three free Jazz / Blues FLAC radio stations, and five free classical FLAC radio stations.

Working with Jazz Groove and their streaming platform provider, we will also support Jazz Groove Premium (paid) FLAC channels (there are five). I'm listening to it right now.

No Classical?

I would really appreciate consideration for the following 3 stations:

465434235_ScreenShot2021-09-10at12_09_22PM.jpg.e3dfe1b3f6bbf9aecff7076657fa058f.jpg1531872870_ScreenShot2021-09-10at12_08_59PM.jpg.e6c22691bc5e7ba70fe1ff49fb58c58b.jpg

@wklieJazz Groove website doesn't mention Lumin yet. If I get a premium subscription, how do I incorporate it into Lumin App. I don't see it listed in version 14.2. I see tunein and I see the free flac stations, but nothing obvious about Jazz Groove.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, wklie said:

We do not support the use of Lumin app on non-Lumin hardware.  Perhaps you may try other threads.

I did a google search and found this:

http://www.sonicorbiter.com/docs/tidal_qobuz_rendu

This was not always the case. I remember using Lumin App years ago on the first Sonore Rendu, without any problems. In fact, it was the Lumin App that initially got me interested in Lumin hardware. I've always thought it to be the best control app out there.

In any case, I own a miniDSP SHD - not for it's streamer. But to check the SHD streamer, I was suppose to use their version of Volumio. Volumio is awful, so I have had success with the Esoteric App which if I recall, is an earlier version of Lumin App. I also recall the Esoteric App working well with my UltraRendu.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, One and a half said:

Thanks to Lumin for iOS 7.0.8, the update fixed the incredible delays in updating the library. Previously with 7.0.7 (and several uninstalls/re-installs), loading the library from scratch was quicker than rescan, updating commands which went around in circles with no progression bar difficult to diagnose what the problem is.

Next update request : When the spinning circle shows up, can we have an idea of the reason behind it is. "busy updating", "having trouble"....anything but nothing!

Yes, I agree. That spining circle has to go.

I don't add or change much in my music library, and its disheartening to see this spinning circle, seemingly going on forever, without any reason. It doesn't seem to impact what I do or the speed with which selections are allowed so sometimes I just ignore it.

Perhaps, @wklie can give us an indication of how long a "norma"l spin should go. If it has been going for one hour, is that definitely something gone wrong? 10min? 30min?

I've found that swiping up the lumin app and restarting it, gets rid of it. Then the next day we begin the spinning circle all over again.

• 2 weeks later...