IGNORED

How many places do you play music?

Audio_ELF

Where do you listen to music?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay ... again just for curiosity, where do you listen to music?

Please tick as many options as are relevant thouhg I would expect most people would choose only one of the first four, then tick either, both or none of the last two as relevant.

In terms of listening in the car, I would consider just having the radio on as you drive different from some people who actively select their music in the car and listen quite critically.

A garden system could equally be a fully installed set of speakers, etc. or you take an iPod dock into the garden on a regular basis.

Options 1-4 are in your own opinion...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I should have ticked listen in the Garden, but submitted too soon.

I have my main listening system that is in my signature. I also have the following:

- Living setup with NAD Receiver, Paradigm bookshelf / center speakers and Paradigm sub with Apple TV that plays my iTunes music, or Sirius XM through iPad Airplay

- Apple TVs in two other rooms mostly used for background

- Logitech Squeeze Radio that I listen to Sirius XM on throughout the house and in the backyard

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

I don't listen "critically" in the car, but certainly "avidly" ;)

I also listen on airplanes frequently, in hotel rooms, etc. - should have a choice for "when traveling".

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Main system is as described in the link below.

Bedroom: ATV2 piped into 1st gen Zeppelin used as a zone player from the main system (as opposed to "airplay").

Home office: B&W MM-1 USB speakers

Work office: Dragonfly DAC + Audioengine A2 speakers + Velodyne Microvee sub

About listening in the car.....you would think it not that good.

But a bit over a decade ago, I got one of the top end of the Nakamichi head units. Yes, cassette tape, and a killer FM unit. Fellow I got it from had a 50 wpc Nak amp too. I had a decent 75 wpc car amp and demurred. Then after hearing the huge improvement in the head unit, looked him back up and got the Nak amp too. Quite simply WOW! And the speakers in that wow, stock speakers with surprisingly decent units. One ways with a whizzer cone. Measured pretty good response 50hz-12Khz as in I measured them. Craftily positioned so the somewhat directional highs of the whizzer cone bounce off the rear window for some reasonable dispersion. Don't know if by design or by accident. But seriously good.

Wasn't just me, quite a number of people who knew nothing from nothing after riding in the car and hearing it asked what I had. It was good enough to pique their interest without any mention of it from me. Then again, as a Quad ESL63 owner at the time a surprisingly wide bandwidth single cone speaker in the car was right up my alley.

Guess it was a case of synergy. Surprisingly good simple speakers, very good amp, and a better than usual source. A truly musical system in my modest car. Sometimes in some ways with some music nothing beats a reasonably good car system that gets out of the way and allows one to experience it combined with the movement and emotion in a car. In some ways, with some people, a home static system doesn't compete. Oh well, these days I drop the top on my car, turn the radio/cd unit off and hear actual sounds without reproduction.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Main system in my sig is in the living room where the TV also is. When my wife's watching her shows I hit the bedroom where I have a Airport Express feeding an Audioengine D1 via optical which drives a pair of Ortofon e-Q5 IEMs quite lovelyly.

I think the e-Q5s are very under-rated and would highly recommend they be put on the short list for anyone looking for a high-value, rather than high-dollar in-ear monitor. They sell for about $250 in Aus and I like them better than the few IEMs I've heard in the $300-$500 price range.

I drive a lot but I listen exclusively to Audiobooks in the car because my ageing company car's noise floor is way too high to properly enjoy music. I have a good quality Eclipse head unit but it makes very little difference if the subtleties are drowned out by the road noise, wind noise and the rattling parcel shelf. And even if that wasn't a problem, I still haven't found a convenient way to listen to uncompressed music in the car without carrying around lots of CDs and I refuse to throw away good bits in the name of convenience.

Cheers,

RS

Standard Mac mini 2010/iTunes (ALAC)/Pure Music & Pro-Ject RPM9.1/Ortofon Rondo Blue/Project PhonoBox SE -> Bel Canto DAC2.5 -> Acurus A200 -> Aphion Argon2 Anniversary/Impact500 & Sennheiser HD650 -> Comfy couch.

. . . I also listen on airplanes frequently, in hotel rooms, etc. - should have a choice for "when traveling".

Yup, I did only tick "one Main", but I enjoy iPhone and Cans on the go; walking, buses, trains, planes, hostels, hotels and some times at work.

iP3GS + Sennheiser HD 25-1 II.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

- Our main system is in the living room.

- The system in my VW Rabbit is surprisingly nice. The system in my wife's Maxima is really nice.

- We've got a system out in the garage, with speakers both in the garage and on the fence in the backyard, firing towards the pool.

- I've got a late 60's Aircastle Model 18, 8-band radio I listen to at work

- And we've got our iPhones for listening to whatever, whenever and whereever

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS

The system in my VW Rabbit is surprisingly nice. The system in my wife's Maxima is really nice.

Got to love American car names: who at VW really thought it was a good idea to name a car after a member of the leporidae family?

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

um3xclear.jpg Sometimes I listen all of the time everywhere. Sometimes not. Multiple systems appropriate to the location. I still cringe when I open the door or turn the key off in the car expecting the tunes to stop. But because I usually wear stage-monitors in the car now, the music keeps right on playing.

The Driver smiled when he lost his pursuer...

One main system in living room, and one home cinema 5.1 system that also plays music in the library/media room. Near-field system by computer. Squeezeboxes in kitchen, guest room, garage, workshop and garden - in the garden, there are waterproof speakers + Bob Carver subwoofer. As for car systems, both cars have the original empeg digital audio players, with 250 G SSDs. In the Morgan, the speakers are Focals - tweeters and mids in the front, woofers in wood boxes behind seat. The Bristol has restored original 80's high-end audio system installed for first owner (a big name in music business).

In the Morgan, the speakers are Focals - tweeters and mids in the front, woofers in wood boxes behind seat. The Bristol has restored original 80's high-end audio system installed for first owner (a big name in music business).

A Morgan and a Bristol. Now you definitely have my attention...

Eloise

---

A Morgan and a Bristol. Now you definitely have my attention...

Well, that was in the context of audio - those are the two that have a built-in sound system for music. The motorcycles (Hesketh V1000, First-generation Triumph Thunderbird, and the ex-SAS KTM off-roader) have no need for a sound system apart from the bluetooth headset for the satnav on my phone. The Land Rovers share a portable system (empeg + amp built into old military radio casing, subwoofer in russian wooden ammo crate). Of course, the Electronic Warfare ones have their own original/restored radios (with a small hidden mp3 player with recordings of russian/east german radio transmissions), but they are somewhat lacking in audiophile qualities...

There are days when my wife goes "what's wrong with a Volkswagen Golf?"...

"have a main listening room, but also lesser quality in other rooms ... all from older systems that I just cannot bring myself to sell ... therefore those other rooms also include the garage

I can't sell the older gear either.

HI. I'm new to the forum and new to computer audio. I bounced in here looking for info on a linear power supply for an OffRamp.

There are four separate systems...2 ch, multi-ch, quad speaker deck and dual speaker porch/garden.

All electronics are in the main listening room.

2 ch = Arcam Cd 23 w/Ring DAC - Arcam C31 pre - Arcam P-1 monos - Ohm SB-4 subwoofers (x3) - Ohm Walsh 5s with custom crossovers

Multi-ch = Arcam DV139 multi player - Arcam AVR350 - RBH 661 SE l/c/r ~L&R bi-amped / RBH 66 SE surrounds / JL Audio Fathom 113 (x2)

Deck = Arcam Cd36 / Wadia iTransport / Denon DAP 5500 pre / Adcom 2535 4-ch amp / Klipsch 6.5 & Russound 6.1 outdoor 2 way speakers

Porch/garden = Another Arcam Cd23 / Wadia i Transport w/CIA V9-MKII / PC / CryoParts usb cable / V-link / Stereo Vox / PS Audio Digital Link III w/ Cullen stage 4 / Audience interconnects / Ayre K-5xe (mp) pre / Carver TFM 55x just back from chassis and sonic upgrades at Hi-Tech ~ Roland Barr / Boston Voyager 70s

The garden system is a bit over the top I suppose. The Bostons are sufficiently revealing at lower volumes when I just want to kick back on the porch visit w/the dogs or enjoy a libation w/friends. Or, they can wake the neighborhood.

The car has SEAS Lotus the Reference mids and tweeters & two SEAS sub woofers driven by a TRU-Technologies amp.

For a small cockpit auto the SQ is pretty darn good. Cross-overs set so that the subs rarely wake up.

I enjoy listening to well recorded music no matter the place. In an environment that I have control over...music is almost always playing.

Arcam, AKG, Audience, Ayre, Bel Canto, Beyer Dynamic, Black Sand, Boston, Carver, CIA, Denon, Headroom, JL Audio, Meier, Ohm, PSA, RBH, Senn

I have always scoffed at the notion that you could really get good enough audio in a car, but I blew the budget on this last one and went with the 16 speaker, 1000 watt Burmester system. Does it sound good? Yes, better than I thought a car audio could. But, it now has me quite focused on how to play lossless files through this system. The in-car CD unit is exceptionally good, the iPod dock is pretty good, but 24/96 files through the USB input are really outstanding -- the problem is that it won't seem to take a USB drive (only thumb drives) and the Burmester folks haven't been very helpful on these issues.

Overall, it still can't come close to the home system for realism, soundstage and depth, but it actually comes pretty close to beating a good headphones experience at my desktop. And you certainly cant get a Burmester in home system for anything near the price. ;-)

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Although I have a "main" system for critical listening, I do most of my listening in the secondary systems I have in my home office and work office. It's a challenge to get a small form factor desktop system sounding right.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)